Xeno Underground

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Xeno Metaseries Community

Hello, this forum is in read-only mode. There is another forum at https://godsibb.net.

+25
Sororicide
stitchedmoon
Shizukesa
XenoForever07
Jessi
Yikari
opkij
mysticnocturne
Kimia
RED ODA
BlueMetal
GoldeneyeDS
Neosmith
kare_reiko
Monstrocker
chibi
JerriLeah7
Jintoki
salut hurricane
HikariKuragari
Xernova
xenolion
TheMagician
LadyTwi
katimus_prime
29 posters

What Are You Playing Currently?

katimus_prime
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

What Are You Playing Currently? - Page 15 Empty Re: What Are You Playing Currently?

Post by katimus_prime Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:10 pm

Disgaea, while it is really in-depth as far as level caps and high numbers for damage, is actually a bit simpler than FFT in many ways. With FFT, you've got a much steeper difficulty curve, but more opportunities to get Exp through passive skills during battle, which I think is extremely charming. Part of what makes Disgaea addictive is the fact that it's easy to get into and play forever, but there's something more satisfying about FFT being more difficult.
    salut hurricane
    salut hurricane

What Are You Playing Currently? - Page 15 Empty Re: What Are You Playing Currently?

Post by salut hurricane Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:11 pm

So! As a veteran for RTS games I've finally picked up playing March of the Black Queen on emulator...
    And oh my GOD is it hard. Kudos to anyone that can run through that game and get a good ending without consulting a guide. Ogre Battle is making FFT and TWShogun look like a cakewalk in its difficulty and don't even get me started on the Alignment system. Very rewarding experience so far though. I think I've got about 10 more maps to clear.

Gonna play Ogre Battle 64 in less than a week too!
    katimus_prime
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:06 pm

That sounds really interesting. *w*
    salut hurricane
    salut hurricane

Post by salut hurricane Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:20 am

^ If you want to get into the first one though Kat I'm warning you it takes at least an hour (sometimes up to three) to clear one map...so if you're playing on an emulator you may be stuck save-stating a lot like I have been XD. Both March and 64 are availble as legitimate purchases on the Wii's digital library, so I'd imagine they'd be fairly cheap in comparison to buying cartriges to an extremely low produced series. (also I forgot to say that the first game has a main character with battle shorts!!)

Still chipping away at March of the Black Queen despite semester stress trying to eat me.
    Jintoki
    Jintoki

Post by Jintoki Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:05 pm

I've been finishing up some backlog (shock!), and I think I'm almost done with Tales of Xillia 2. Once that is done, I'm going to start over on Ar no Surge, mostly so I can download the patch that is supposed to fix the translation. I'm still amazed and grateful Tecmo Koei went through the effort to patch their awkward translation.
    katimus_prime
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:45 pm

I picked up my SNES emulator on my phone the other night and am continuing my play-through of the infamous 10th anniversary FF4 Hard Type with the fan translation. I love a good grind, but what I love even more than a good grind is the ability to frame-skip some of the grind. Glob bless emulators.
    TheMagician
    TheMagician

Post by TheMagician Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:58 pm

Here I am currently focusing my fire on Final Fantasy XIII. Either you like it or you don't. I decided to finally play and figure out which side I'm on. Well, I have not found a reason to hate the game and I'm slowly but steadily moving along.

I do not, however, remember the last time I was fighting enemies so often in an RPG. While some fights can be avoided, I have this "If you stand before me, you will fall before me" mentality so I duke it out with foes more often than not, but it does get tiring after a while to the point of me saying "Where's that save point so I can stop and catch a break?" lol
    stitchedmoon
    stitchedmoon

Post by stitchedmoon Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:17 pm

Now that I actually have a computer that I can sorta play games on, I've started playing Borderlands 2 and Elder Scrolls Online.  So far, I am pretty bad at them.  (I kept accidentally off a cliff in Borderlands so much that my husband now calls it pulling an Erin in honor of me.) Man, all this 3D and online multiplayer makes me feel old. .m.

Anyway, here's my (second) attempt at a character in ESO.

What Are You Playing Currently? - Page 15 Screen11

I just got out of the skeleton hell dungeon and then spent like 15 minutes posing for selfies with a cute dog I saw outside the first town.  PRIORITIES, I HAVE THEM.

What Are You Playing Currently? - Page 15 Screen10 What Are You Playing Currently? - Page 15 Screen12 What Are You Playing Currently? - Page 15 Screen13
    katimus_prime
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:17 am

AAAA, you look so good!!!!! *W* ALSO CUTE DOGGIE!
    I SEE YOU'RE IN SWAGGERFALL.

Of all things, I felt like playing Paladin's Quest on my emulator on my phone, so I've been playing that most of the week.
    Yikari
    Yikari

Post by Yikari Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:32 am

I've been on something of a Fire Emblem binge lately, so if you see me falling off the face of life, that's probably why.

Played the first one - the 1990 NES one - to about the halfway point. I gotta say that this one metal old game, folks.

Sprite animations are, in my opinion, very, very good. Especially magic attacks - that's just plain old pirat no matter how you slice it. And the prestige class promotion looks like something out of Highlander, with lightning everywhere and all.

One thing that's really got my attentions is how such visual design things as 'spikes of villainy', 'helmet horns' and 'oar swords' weren't a thing back then. Armor (for the most part), horses and swords look really nice despite the technical limitations of the platform.

The game does get more tiresome than fun after some point though, unfortunately.

I've tried out FE7 after that. Imagine my surprise when I saw a character with suspiciously similar looks to Hei among the cast. XD

Spritework is, once again really nice, GBA color palette not withstanding. They went a bit overboard with cartoonishly oversized weapons and jumping and spinning animations; Elfire spell also somehow lost all  pirat it previously had, IMHO, but that's just a matter of personal preference.

Gameplay is nice, even though the tutorials and difficulty are unexpectedly gradual in ramping up. (That's probably a plus though, considering the curveballs the game throws at you down the line.)
    Jintoki
    Jintoki

Post by Jintoki Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:02 pm

I recently blazed through the Uncharted games (I know, PS3 owner and I never played the Uncharted games?). Really fun games, or at least the first two. I haven't played the third one yet. Second was a definite improvement. The first one just felt like an endless onslaught of frustrating gunfights.

Right now, I'm focusing on Tales of Hearts R (just got the airship) and Eternal Sonata. I rented Eternal Sonata a long time ago on 360 but never finished it, but now I'm playing the PS3 version. I'm getting a slight Baten Kaitos vibe from it (in small ways, gameplay is vastly different), but it makes sense since Tri-Crescendo helped work on Baten Kaitos with Monolithsoft.
    Jessi
    Jessi

Post by Jessi Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:16 am

I've just been playing Killer is Dead and a ton of smash bros and mario kart. I've also been playing Papers, Please! and The Binding of Issac on my computer some, casually.
    salut hurricane
    salut hurricane

Post by salut hurricane Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:11 pm

I'm on the final stage of Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen. Great game so far but man is that final stage intense. I've also started running Bravely Default...it's a good game but a little too "My first RPG" for me to consider it mindblowing.
    stitchedmoon
    stitchedmoon

Post by stitchedmoon Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:38 pm

katimus_prime wrote:AAAA, you look so good!!!!! *W* ALSO CUTE DOGGIE!
    I SEE YOU'RE IN SWAGGERFALL.

SWAGGERFALL HECK YEAH. |3 I need to play more and maybe try to catch up level-wise so we can hang out or something. :3

Meanwhile in Borderlands 2, I still suck but I don't walk off cliffs as much anymore. I can't FPS to save my life, but I am really into the characters and the aesthetic-ness of it. I was not expecting to have so many feels.
    Yikari
    Yikari

Post by Yikari Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:22 am

^ main problem with Borderlands 2, IMHO, is the same-ness of the waterfall of guns it is centered around. There is so, so many guns but so little interesting mechanics in play for the vast majority of them - too much 'bullet guns', not enough of less vanilla killing mechanics.

If you are having problems with shooting your way through the game, I'd recommend playing as the turret-bearing guy. That ability is absurd in its versatility and usefulness.
    stitchedmoon
    stitchedmoon

Post by stitchedmoon Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:15 pm

Oh gosh it's like ~TOO MANY COOKS~ but with shooty weapons.  I can never keep track of what I'm using.

Turret guy seems pretty cool.  One of the DLCs (the girl with the robot) apparently has a similar ability to summon a thing that kills things, and that was the first character I used because it was easier than having to aim at everything. :P  I've been playing through it with my husband and doing more of a healing/support thing, and that seems to work out all right.  The downside is I started shipping our characters like whoa. Awkward.
    katimus_prime
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:51 pm

Starbound came out with a patch yesterday. My life outside of playing Starbound is officially over.
    Yikari
    Yikari

Post by Yikari Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:24 am

stitchedmoon wrote:The downside is I started shipping our characters like whoa. Awkward.

Nothing wrong with that, is there? Very Happy
    XenoForever07
    XenoForever07

Post by XenoForever07 Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:12 pm

TheMagician wrote:Here I am currently focusing my fire on Final Fantasy XIII. Either you like it or you don't. I decided to finally play and figure out which side I'm on. Well, I have not found a reason to hate the game and I'm slowly but steadily moving along.

I do not, however, remember the last time I was fighting enemies so often in an RPG. While some fights can be avoided, I have this "If you stand before me, you will fall before me" mentality so I duke it out with foes more often than not, but it does get tiring after a while to the point of me saying "Where's that save point so I can stop and catch a break?" lol

I played that game completely at least twice now. I think people complain about it because it's "too easy", but I thought it was creative how they had the different paradigms. Granted, I haven't played a lot of turn-based games, but I haven't played one like that. It does, in my opinion, get more difficult.

I'm playing Tales of Symphonia. I've heard of the Tales of games, but never played them. This is my first one. Then I plan to play Ni no Kuni (which I heard is another good game). I'm always late to the game with these things. lol.
    TheMagician
    TheMagician

Post by TheMagician Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:19 pm

XenoForever07 wrote:I played that game completely at least twice now. I think people complain about it because it's "too easy", but I thought it was creative how they had the different paradigms. Granted, I haven't played a lot of turn-based games, but I haven't played one like that. It does, in my opinion, get more difficult.
    FFXIII did seem easy at times, just mowing down enemies like they're nothing. I didn't start struggling too much until I hit Gran Pulse for the first time as I wasn't prepared for what was going to be thrown at me, getting murdered really quickly by a Behemoth. >_<

However, I did manage to complete the main game (after the end bosses instant KO'd my leader 3 or 4 times by pure unlucky chance that is) and probably will go back for post-game stuff at some point, but I'm playing XIII-2 for now.
    XenoForever07
    XenoForever07

Post by XenoForever07 Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:02 pm

TheMagician wrote:
    FFXIII did seem easy at times, just mowing down enemies like they're nothing. I didn't start struggling too much until I hit Gran Pulse for the first time as I wasn't prepared for what was going to be thrown at me, getting murdered really quickly by a Behemoth. >_<

However, I did manage to complete the main game (after the end bosses instant KO'd my leader 3 or 4 times by pure unlucky chance that is) and probably will go back for post-game stuff at some point, but I'm playing XIII-2 for now.

The last boss was pretty hard, but I thought Barthandelus in Gran Pulse was ridiculously difficult. I guess I just wasn't leveled up enough, but he pretty much annihilated my entire party over and over again.

Apparently, you had to have a certain item on your characters to prevent the last boss from insta-killing you. I didn't have it and I'm sure plenty of other people didn't. So I pretty much just crossed my fingers on that one.

XIII-2 was very interesting to me. Alot of different endings for that one.
    kare_reiko
    kare_reiko
    Donator

Post by kare_reiko Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:28 am

I'm playing with boyfriend in Tera Online (when he's not at work). We playing in EU version so if someone here playing too it would be nice to play together.
    I'm trying to beat again KH:DDD too, because I need return console and game around end of this month, I'm not sure if I menage to do that this fast :/... Stupid idea of playing on Proud level...
    RadicalDreamer
    RadicalDreamer

Post by RadicalDreamer Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:12 pm

Still re-playing Xenoblade (3rd time). I reached
    Spoiler:
    and I finished the majority of the quests in it. 82 hours or so, so far. Last time I reached this part of the game, I was 130 hours in. And this time, I'm pretty sure I did more quests. Guess I managed my time better. There is no way I can finish this game in less than 100 hours though.
    And I resumed playing FFTactics. I was stucked at the Dorter battle and not completely liking the game. But now that I got past this part and keep seeing more of the story and game mechanics, I'm warming up to FFT.
    I'm 10 hours in and things are becoming awkward on the battlefield. I love it.

However, is it just me or is the 50 Year War info dump in the bars mistranslated ? I put it down on paper so I could make sense of this game's history and a few stuff seem badly explained.
    How do you manage the job thing, by the way ? I already maxed one (Squire with Ramza)... and it's only level 7. I switched to Knight but... it seems weird that you can max a job so early in the game (especially if it's just level 7). Do I earn anything in still using the Squire job after I maxed it ? Does my squire abilities get stronger or what ?
    Yikari
    Yikari

Post by Yikari Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:02 am

The only thing the job level in FFT matters for is unlocking other jobs. The actual goodies you get from them are either

a). received automatically just for having this job 'equipped' as your current one (first and foremost are static stat modifiers to all your parameters, but being able to equip shields for Knight, being able to apply items from several squares away for Chemist, etc, etc is also a good example);

b). unlocked via Job Points you grind for by doing things with the character in battle while the job is active (all other characters that have this job unlocked get a small portion of the haul too, so it's not a complete grindfest; sending characters on quests you get in taverns also gets them some JP);

such things can vary between unlocking new active commands for the job (like new spells for mages or being able to use more item types for Chemist) or equippable perks (like being able to use items from further away than point-blank range even if you are not currently a Chemist);

c). the job you are currently in affects your stat growths on level up; for example, Black Mage has the best magic strength growth in the game, so if you make a character level up (the EXP level up, not JP) while in this job lots, their base magic strength - the base stat before any job and equipment modifiers are applied - will shoot through the roof; they may start lacking in some other areas in return though.

I can't remember off the top of my head if Ramza's growths in his Squire variant (technically speaking, it's a different job from the Squire generic characters get, so level up growths can differ easily) are worth going specifically for. I switched him around too often to notice anything.

Mistranslation of various text bits in PS1 version of FFT is very much a thing. PSP remake localization re-translated the script wholesale. There are some added scenes in there and some old ones come off with a different tone, IMHO, but it can be referred to in most cases to help make sense of things, yes.
    Shizukesa
    Shizukesa

Post by Shizukesa Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:00 pm

i never have time & usually dont care. i never finished ff13, thor, resident evil 5 & 6.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:25 pm