Xeno Underground

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Xeno Metaseries Community

Hello, this forum is in read-only mode. There is another forum at https://godsibb.net.

+2
Bigtakilla
chaos
6 posters

Worth Playing?

chaos
    chaos

Worth Playing? Empty Worth Playing?

Post by chaos Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:48 pm

As a fan of the other Xeno games, how does this compare?

I got the impression it was very exploration and battle orientated as opposed to story and character based?
    Bigtakilla
    Bigtakilla

Worth Playing? Empty Re: Worth Playing?

Post by Bigtakilla Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:33 am

Is it worth playing? Hell yeah! Is it like the other Xeno series? No.

It plays out very much like a first part of a series. I would definitely say you should go into this expecting the focus of this game to be exploring, building up your city, and a deep love of an insane amount of customization on every level (seriously, there's TONS of ways to customize every aspect of your character).

On the plus side, the world is very interesting, and you shouldn't be bored. There are also TONS of references to Xenosaga.
    chaos
    chaos

Post by chaos Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:17 pm

Hmm may give it a miss, Doesn't sound worth buying a wiiu for in any case.

All those points you mention sound like exactly what I don't want in a Game lol.
    RadicalDreamer
    RadicalDreamer

Post by RadicalDreamer Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:28 pm

chaos wrote:Hmm may give it a miss, Doesn't sound worth buying a wiiu for in any case.

I didn't buy XBX either because I don't have a WiiU and am not interested in most of its library (and I'm ambivalent about modern Xeno games... so I wouldn't buy a pricey console just for a new Xeno). But I heard XBX will maybe get a Switch port so really... don't buy a WiiU. It's not worth it. Wait for the Switch to come out if you ever get curious about XBX. I think I'll play XBX eventually... whenever the Switch gets released with a good library (assuming I have the money for it... I already need to buy a new PC).
    Bigtakilla
    Bigtakilla

Post by Bigtakilla Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:10 am

Well, while I don't blame either of you necessarily, but you guys are missing an amazing game. I dumped over 200 hours in it and am still playing. Though, Blade is my favorite in the entire Xeno franchise.
    RadicalDreamer
    RadicalDreamer

Post by RadicalDreamer Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:32 am

Bigtakilla wrote:Well, while I don't blame either of you necessarily, but you guys are missing an amazing game. I dumped over 200 hours in it and am still playing.

Well, waiting for the Switch port isn't a bad idea. Nintendo seems to be adding content to the wiiU games ported to Switch. And I heard Xenoblade X could do with some fixing here and there (like, the fact that you always need to run around newLA to recruit your party members for each new mission, something that can get old real quick after many hours... or the sound editing that is a bit awkward).
    Besides, the next Xenoblade (some think it will be a direct sequel to X) will come out on Switch so getting one over a WiiU seems to be the best option for someone who skipped the WiiU the last few years.
    Bigtakilla
    Bigtakilla

Post by Bigtakilla Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:15 pm

RadicalDreamer wrote:
    Bigtakilla wrote:Well, while I don't blame either of you necessarily, but you guys are missing an amazing game. I dumped over 200 hours in it and am still playing.

Well, waiting for the Switch port isn't a bad idea. Nintendo seems to be adding content to the wiiU games ported to Switch. And I heard Xenoblade X could do with some fixing here and there (like, the fact that you always need to run around newLA to recruit your party members for each new mission, something that can get old real quick after many hours... or the sound editing that is a bit awkward).
    Besides, the next Xenoblade (some think it will be a direct sequel to X) will come out on Switch so getting one over a WiiU seems to be the best option for someone who skipped the WiiU the last few years.

Monolith Soft is also not going to be making the port though, so don't expect too much as far as new, and if performance takes a hit in any way it'd probably be a better play on Wii U. Especially with how the game is fairly integrated with the gamepad. If the switch can be played like a gamepad, then problem averted, if not though, it's gonna be a hell of a chore getting post game content (which was already a hell of a chore anyways) and completing some quest prerequisites. I don't blame you for waiting and seeing, but there should still be concerns.
    Bigtakilla
    Bigtakilla

Post by Bigtakilla Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:48 pm

I think we got a little off topic, your point was is it worth playing, and the answer's yes.
    Trombone-San
    Trombone-San

Post by Trombone-San Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:16 pm

Old topic, but I would say that yes, this game is definitely worth playing. I was over 60 hours into the game and I was still discovering new secrets and Xenoforms. I am not sure how okay emulation is to talk about here, but this plays amazingly well on CEMU and on upper end PCs the 4k graphics pack really works wonders on bringing out the environment of the game which is amazing. I actually prefer this game to the original Xenoblade Chronicles because they actually gave sidequests worth and there are plenty of Xenosaga references for fans of that series. I actually feel like this game is like Saga in a lot of ways in that it feels destined to be forgotten about. It has an ending that needs some explanation and I'd like to see it continued. It was way more fun and rewarding to play than XBC2 was. I think the complexity of the combat threw people off but it was actually rewarding to become familiar with all of its systems.

picture of the game running on CEMU:

https://imgur.com/a/F7W8v

nevermind I think I broke it
    katimus_prime
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:17 pm

Image embedding is kinda borked at the moment - I need to take a weekend or so to unbreak it. Sorry!

I've always wanted to figure out how to emulate XBX. This screenshot is beautiful!
    Yikari
    Yikari

Post by Yikari Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:44 am

Personally, I've enjoyed it.

It's not strong in regards to plot, setting, characterisation and character development and other such story stuff, but there is a lot of pretty landscapes to scour for things.

I was surprised by how much better the sidequesting was, compared to the boring slog in the first xenoblade, even if it did come at the cost of the main quest being kinda bleh.

In terms of gameplay, I found the supposedly level-appropriate trash mobs taking a bit too much to kill, considering how much fights you get into. Maybe I was just doing something wrong, but it felt like they were a bit too much meat wall like.

Mecha are fun, but I miss being able to just step on regular infantry-sized encounters like in xenogears and be done with it. Also, not having a separate 'suit' saved for piloting like you do for the cosmetic layer adds a lot of hassle if you are trying to use mecha for more than just transportation; mecha stat bonuses follow generally the same system on-foot fight bonuses do, but they are considered completely separate stats, so you need to switch every equipment piece to your piloting set manually and then back again unless you just don't want to bother with it in the first place.
    Bigtakilla
    Bigtakilla

Post by Bigtakilla Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:39 pm

@Yikari boosting your tp and overdrive is the answer to your last two paragraphs. Super quick battles and beat insanely difficult monsters on foot.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:55 am