Xeno Fannage!

What Are You Playing Currently?

katimus_prime
    Administrator

Re: What Are You Playing Currently?

Post by katimus_prime on Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:58 pm

I'm still chilling with my cell phone emulator's Dragonquest IV. I've gotten really far really fast (bless you, 16x frame skip), and I actually think I might be overleveled because I'm well before the last dungeon and I've learned most of the overworld spells. The bad part about the later parts of Dragonquest games IV and up is that it sorta spirals out and you don't know exactly where to go without a guide anymore.

I also picked Katamari Damacy back up after Katamari Da Emcee came out - http://vibedeck.com/teamteamwork

I was over a friend's house last week and she had a DDR setup. Apparently even though I'm pretty abysmal at it, I was the best person at it there? I think I only had the reflexes from when I was trying to hang out with my friends who were super into DDR in the early 2000 years.

"There is no growth without birth.  Without a foothold in the past, we cannot walk toward the future.  Get thee gone, darkness!"

Post by Guest on Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:29 am

Playing through Final Fantasy Tactics Advance with Sal :biggrin2:

Bravely Default is probably going to be next!
    Monstrocker

Post by Monstrocker on Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:16 am

Touhou- POFv!

Administrator

Post by katimus_prime on Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:40 pm

I've picked my Disgaea game back up. It has 120 hours on it and I'm not even Level 100 yet.

"There is no growth without birth.  Without a foothold in the past, we cannot walk toward the future.  Get thee gone, darkness!"
    LadyTwi
    Inquisitor Extraordinaire

Post by LadyTwi on Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:28 pm

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky, Danganronpa 2, and Hatoful Boyfriend HD!

Jintoki

Post by Jintoki on Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:18 pm

@LadyTwi wrote:The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky, Danganronpa 2, and Hatoful Boyfriend HD!
    I am also playing the first two listed (not the third though I have heard of it XD).  Oh, and I've been reading a visual novel called World End Economica, which is by the same author of Spice and Wolf.  I'm really enjoying it so far, especially the setting.

Post by RadicalDreamer on Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:46 pm

Finishing the Ace Attorney trilogy. Last case (one of the best ones). Dahlia was a bitch. And I can't help feeling annoyed with Iris. And Godot (well, he's kind of a sexist douche at times).

And I resumed my last playthough of Xenoblade because my father was pissing me off so much, I needed to escape somewhere else. Didn't do much and actually... I'd like to replay more of FF8 instead. But I wondered about something. Why is it that there are a few heart-to-heart with a "?" symbol (instead of character portraits) despite the fact that I have every character of the game in the party ? It applies to one heart-to-heart from Colony 9 for example.
    Monstrocker

Post by Monstrocker on Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:32 pm

Completed playing Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective!!!

The writing for that game is really good. I cannot put that game down so I played from morning to midnight.

Post by Yikari on Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:29 am

Wasteland 2 just came out.

Some bugs not withstanding, it is a very, very good game. If you are into that kind of thing, than get it posthaste. If you are not, then watch some playthroughs and see if you'd like it - if you just don't dig that kind of genre, you may still want to make an exeption for this one.
    kare_reiko
    Donator

Post by kare_reiko on Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:47 pm

Friend lend me his 3DS and KH:DDD so I finely can play in this part, it was only one I didn't play from Kingdom Hearts story. It's better then I thought. I'm about enter last world and I wonder if I should max all else before drive into that world (like getting Dream eaters, treasures and skills).
    I can say that Riku is real star in this part, Sora... hmm... he's not so nice as he was in KH2, development of his personality turned back. And lack any bigger role for any female character hurt too, it's reason why I was so anti this part.
    Gameplay is fun and nice as in any KH game (except Chain of Memories, that was nightmare)

Such a moment of such peace...
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime on Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:47 pm

I kind of wasted my weekend this weekend in ESO. No regrets, tho. :D

opkij

Post by opkij on Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:10 pm

For me it's Radiant Historia right now. I like the concept and how the game works but the enviroments are just so dull...
    Jintoki

Post by Jintoki on Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:51 am

This fall has been a terrible time for my wallet. I bought Tales of Xillia 2, Dangan Ronpa 2, Ar nosurge, and Bayonetta 2 is coming out later this month. @_@ I've been mainly focusing on Tales of Xillia 2 and Dangan Ronpa 2 at the moment, which both have been really good (except Xillia 2's story has been getting kind of ridiculous and farming money to pay off the debt has been a little tedious). I picked up Ar no surge for a little bit (I got it because I am a fan of the Ar Tonelico series), and I'm...kinda disappointed? Maybe I haven't played enough, but it just seems really unpolished in comparison to Gust's other games, not to mention the translation is a little funky.

Post by LadyTwi on Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:55 pm

I'm so mad that all these games have been coming out now because I want them all and I'm completely broke! I'm currently still playing Danganronpa 2, I beat the game and now I'm working on getting all the trophies.

opkij

Post by opkij on Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:07 pm

@Jintoki wrote:fan of the Ar Tonelico series

Me too! Or...at least I loved the first two games when I first played them, I still listen to the soundtracks quite often but hopefully there will be time to actually play them again someday.

Radiant Historia was atleast completed last night, overall a good game, if only Yoko shimomura had made more than 25 songs, and if only the enviroments where better.

Next up is Dead Space, yes, 6 years later.
    RadicalDreamer

Post by RadicalDreamer on Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:58 pm

I'm playing The Sims 2 Ultimate. I'm trying to build an entire neighborhood and write its story. I'm playing the first family/sim as a legacy challenge. It's more fun that way (especially since... let's be honest... this game feels kinda boring next to the Sims 3, even with all the extensions). It's also a bit of a nightmare, ahah. Not to mention how my game enjoys to crash a lot.

I need a new PC. Plus, I downloaded Dragon Age Origins while it was free and I won't be able to play it until I replace my computer with something better.

Also, I'm resuming my playthought of The Last of Us. Playing this game is oddly like living my life : if I'm stucked, I'll avoid the game for a while. I'll dread playing it. But I will always think about it when I want to play something. Eventually, I'm like "screw this" and what seemed scary or impossible to me becomes actually managable. If I stopped playing this time, it wasn't because I was stucked... but more because the game froze. It's official. All my PS3 games fucked up at least once (Skyrim being the ultimate offender... of course).
    Oh yes, talking about Skyrim... I started another game. And it erased my first file.  :blank2: Welp... PS3 Skyrim really is the worst.
    Not that I really care, at the end of the day. I was bored with my cypher of a Nord. Instead, I'll be an Altmer mage woman attending Hogwart the College of Winterhold from the get go (screw the main plot). I wanted to give my character some sort of backstory but I'm undecided. Does she want to seek revenge on someone ? Or is she just a scholar with twisted ethics (maybe?) ? I kinda wish it was easier to roleplay with Skyrim (plus, the lore is pretty vast and I only own Skyrim... I did some research on the internet though... but I really prefer learning those things in game, because it's more than half of the fun of The Elder Scrolls to me). It's easy to do with a game like the Sims but I'm afraid I sort of forget my character even exist in Skyrim. I guess playing with mods is the way to go for this but... not possible right now.
    Jintoki

Post by Jintoki on Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:22 pm

I got Bayonetta 2 on Friday, so I've been playing a good chunk of that. It's a pretty much an extension of the first game, which isn't a terrible thing by any means. I'm loving it so far. And I got Hyrule Warriors for a birthday present, which has been surprisingly fun. I'm not the biggest Zelda fan or even Dynasty Warriors, but I'm still enjoying it. I like how they handled multiplayer, though it would be nice if you could do multiplayer in the main story too. (You so totally can, I was just too stupid to realize it)

Last edited by 80 on Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post by katimus_prime on Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:49 pm

I'm still plugging away in Disgaea 2. They've actually made playing as a monster character more viable and interesting, which makes me happy. :D

Jintoki

Post by Jintoki on Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:02 pm

I beat Bayonetta 2. The plot was nonsensical and it felt a tad shorter than the first game, but it was still one hell of a ride! If I'm not careful, I'll keep playing it while ignoring the rest of my backlog.

Tales of Hearts R comes out tomorrow, so I will be picking that up. I was hoping to get Dangan Ronpa 2 done before then, but I fear that will not happen since I have one more chapter after the one I'm currently on.

Post by Monstrocker on Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:09 am

Finished playing Grandia II. The ending is so nice. Gosh, playing it in the PS2 is pretty painful with all the slow-down. I regret not taking my time not getting the Dreamcast version.

Post by RadicalDreamer on Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:54 pm

I kind of wonder if I will be able to finish any game in the fickle mood I am at the moment.

Basically, I want to resume playing FF9 (and FF8 maybe), I was replaying Okami and Shadow Hearts 1 recently (intending to replay SH2 next too), I just started replaying FF12 for some reason (maybe I won't get bored before the end this replay), I still have The Last of Us to finish (I'm far from doing this yet)... and Xenoblade is waiting in my Wii still (I stopped at Agniratha, because of boredom/not liking Meckonis much/one annoying story boss). I won't even talk about Skyrim.

And my PS2 is almost dead. It won't start before the console is hot enough and even then, I have to re-start the console several times before it works. I have no problem while playing games, though.

It's been a while since I last played FF12. I had (still have) several problems with this team managing game RPG. But I didn't expect to have a lower opinion of the voice acting and cutscenes direction this time. Cutscenes are kind of awkward. Less than Valkyrie Profile 2, thankfully... but some stuff in them feel off. Like awkward pauses and confusing use of the camera.

As for the voice acting... well... a few of them feel dead-ish (Balthier is unfortunately the best example here, he sounds bored most of the time). Maybe the dialogues are stiff or something. I dunno. There is also an obvious problem with the recording of the voices. And yet, I really like that the characters don't seem anime-like in behavior. That was one of the appeal of this game. And I used to praise the voice acting.

Of course, it adds to the flaws I noticed back in the days... like extremely poor pacing of a relatively short story for a 3D Final Fantasy game (all of this in a big world to explore) and some underdevelopped characters. That said, I guess it's not that different than SNES FF games. But a lot of jRPGs improved this starting the PS1 era so most people expect better than minimal story/character development (or not... some people value open world more than/over meaty story/characters/interesting quests nowadays... FF13's fault, I guess).

Speaking of which... I think I'll try to find/buy FFTactics (and maybe Vagrant Story) soon. The best of Matsuno, basically. VS is available on the european PSN but Tactics is not. I'll see if I can find it for PS1... as cheap as possible.

Then... the license grid. It really IS a poorer sphere grid. But, I'll try to create jobs for my characters this time anyway. Sure, it's no International FF12, but if I hold back my completionist self (which I didn't the first time... every character evolved the same, save for the useless Espers), I can add a bit of challenge to the game. My characters still may end up the same at the very end but I'll try to keep them different enough for most of the adventure. So :

- Fran stays mostly my main black mage/archer
    - Balthier shoots things, occasionally steals and kick stuff with sticks
    - Basch gets hammers (obligatory Thor reference) and heavy swords, I give him the self-sacrificing technics...
    - Penelo is my main white and time mage (with a few spell odities of doom), uses magic staffs
    - Ashe is my main green mage with swords/spears
    - and Vaan is my main thief, using daggers for now (I may give him guns eventually, following in Balthier's footsteps or something).

It's not too crazy but I intend to keep them in character (dunno if I should give everyone a few Espers or give them to specific characters, but I don't have any, yet). I've seen how the new system is in the International version but I'm not sure it's completely satisfying. It doesn't seem you can switch jobs at all, this time. Though, the International version has other nice features. SE should HD remaster FF12, I think. They could improve even more on the International version, actually release it everywhere... and in HD so the game doesn't make everyone's eyes bleed (it was a pretty game but HD tvs really ruined it). Hopefully, they wouldn't ruin the characters' faces/facial animations like they did with FF10/10-2 HD.

And speaking of challenge, it seems like escaping the Lhusu mines the first time can still be kinda hard. I ended up barely escaping... with one character alive (Vaan, my most underlevelled character)... only to realize I didn't have any phoenix downs left. I had to be careful not to get killed by a mob of monsters on the way out. I enjoy unexpected tense moments like this. When they're over, that is. I also had a weird moment on the Leviathan. I was able to create chains easily the first time I got out the cells. Then, I go back to the save point/merchant moogle. When I got out again, it's like the enemies got more agressive, casting spells they didn't before. Good thing I stayed near the entrance to the cell area. I had no problem with the boss though (I let Ashe demolish him with her sword while Fran and Balthier stayed behind for back up... seemed fitting storywise :laugh4: ).

Last thing but I really like the bestiary/trophy menu. FF12 had trophies before it was cool. And it's all done with FFTactics like sprites. It used to frustrate me, though. Maybe because you're not told what to do to get all the trophies. Or maybe because I first thought it was a retro mini game and was disappointed when I realized it wasn't. And the bestiary is awesome. First, you learn about the monster, kill a few more and you get another page about FF12's lore. I wish Xenoblade X has something like this. This is the best kind of bestiary to me.

Anyway... 20 hours in and I'm about to cross the sea of sand (but I'll do a few hunts first).
    Just hoping I won't jump into another game before the end again, ahah.

Last edited by 125 on Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:29 am; edited 1 time in total
    salut hurricane

Post by salut hurricane on Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:08 pm

^ You know RD Matsuno worked for Quest before he worked for Square, and his pre-FFT titles include Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen (SNES), and Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (which if you have a PSP you can play the remake that is very accurate). There's also FFT Advance, which is fundamentally different in scale given the GBA platform but still is an extremely addicting title and still considered one of the strongest games on the GBA (which is impressive considering Golden Sun is included in that listing). There's an FFT remake for PSP and Ipad titled War of the Lions. It's pretty faithful from what I know. Also for Ogre Battle related games there's always Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber and that should be available on viritual console where you are.

I'm getting geared to run Bravely Default or Terranigma, haven't decided yet.
    RadicalDreamer

Post by RadicalDreamer on Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:47 pm

@salut hurricane wrote:^ You know RD Matsuno worked for Quest before he worked for Square, and his pre-FFT titles include Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen (SNES), and Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (which if you have a PSP you can play the remake that is very accurate). There's also FFT Advance, which is fundamentally different in scale given the GBA platform but still is an extremely addicting title and still considered one of the strongest games on the GBA (which is impressive considering Golden Sun is included in that listing). There's an FFT remake for PSP and Ipad titled War of the Lions. It's pretty faithful from what I know. Also for Ogre Battle related games there's always Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber and that should be available on viritual console where you are.

Yeah... Ogre Battle/Tactics Ogre... I heard good things about those too. The problem is... I don't have a PsP or Vita (if I did, I would have jumped at the chance to play Valkyrie Profile 1 at a normal price already... this game, seriously). And I figured it was more interesting to play their new versions for additional stuff. I guess I wish those games could be playable on the PS3 itself,  :biggrin2: . Maybe I'll get to buy a Vita or something one day... but Nintendo's 3DS will come first. There is so many consoles... and alas, I have so little money.

As for FFTA, I've often heard bad things about it. Not about the scale, though. The plot/more childish tone seem to be what bothered fans. I have to say I'm not interested in playing it. I like Matsuno for the maturish stuff... and I want to experience his best plots since I only know about FF12. I'm not saying it's a bad game in itself though. Just... not what I'm interested in.

Also, there is the fact that... I never played a single TRPG (funny for someone who loves and plays RPGs for years, I guess). Starting with Tactics seems right to me.

Thanks for the information. When you said "Quest", I thought "Dragon Quest ?". I looked it up and no, this was just the name of the company. But I swear I heard something about Matsuno or someone else having worked a bit on the Dragon Quest games. Wait, no... I think it was a composer. Hitoshi Sakimoto, maybe (well, it's sorta related to Matsuno, in a way... lol). It surprised me. As much as seeing Tetsuya Takahashi getting credited in FF8.
    opkij

Post by opkij on Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:16 pm

Puh, I finally finished Popolocrois, I don't know how many times I fell asleep during that game, hehe. If you like old RPGs like Lunar this might be worth to give a try.

About FFT, I don't think I have heard it being called childish before? Maybe A2 for the DS but not the first game.

FFT is absolutely my favorite strategy/tactic game but sadly the genre is ruined after playing Disgaea, all other games are just too slow-paced...
    RadicalDreamer

Post by RadicalDreamer on Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:42 pm

@opkij wrote:
    About FFT, I don't think I have heard it being called childish before? Maybe A2 for the DS but not the first game.

FFT is absolutely my favorite strategy/tactic game but sadly the genre is ruined after playing Disgaea, all other games are just too slow-paced...

I meant FFTactics Advance (which isn't the same game as FFTactics). I've just seen there is a sequel to it too. I didn't know this.
    Disgaea... well, I know nothing about it except that it is humoristic. I may try it one day.

Still playing FF12. And trying to decide what games to buy for Christmas.

Current date/time is Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:32 pm