Xeno Underground

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Xeno Metaseries Community

Hello, this forum is in read-only mode. There is another forum at https://godsibb.net.

+2
Neosmith
weetold
6 posters

Would we have seen a Xenosaga on PS4?

weetold
    weetold

Would we have seen a Xenosaga on PS4? Empty Would we have seen a Xenosaga on PS4?

Post by weetold Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:15 pm

As we know the original plan was for there to be 6 games, unfortunately due to budget cuts or whatever else, the game was chopped into just 3.
    They were all on PS2, each game releasing about 2 and a half years apart, with the last game releasing about a year before the PS3's release.

With that being said, would Xenosaga, had it gained more popularity and revenue, have spread to PS4? The console was released November 15th, 2013, undoubtedly we would have had Xenosaga 4 and 5 on PS3, but would the series end on the PS4 with Xenosaga 6?

Hypothetically, let's say Xenosaga's popularity also created spin offs, like a fighting game or a entire Hakox multiplayer game, and those games were released in between Xenosaga 4 and 5, that would definitely cause Xenosaga 6 to be on PS4

Just a little something I was wondering, also something to wonder is would they keep with the inconsistent art-styles between games? With better graphics, it'd be interesting to see what they would have done.

Also, again hypothetically, would Xenosaga having enough popularity to spawn 5 sequels and ensuing spin offs over a decade of time, would it rival the big dogs like Final Fantasy?
    Neosmith

Would we have seen a Xenosaga on PS4? Empty Re: Would we have seen a Xenosaga on PS4?

Post by Neosmith Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:25 am

Xenosaga coming to PS4 would depend on a lot of factors, such as - how many games would be released in the series? When? How quickly would they be made?

Eg. Kingdom Hearts really has only 4 main titles (counting BBS), but they wound up skipping the PS3 entirely due to the long development cycles and the large numbers of spin-offs, remasters, etc.

When Namco first published XSE1, they were expecting an answer to Square's FF series. But E1 only sold around 500,000+ copies and became, for the most part, a cult hit.

I do believe part of the problem was that the series had a super rushed development cycle - just 1 year to make the initial episode. They could've used at least one more year to work out what XS was supposed to be.

In any case, it's entirely possible if Monolith had more time to make the games, if the games sold better and if there were more secondary titles (eg. the planned Frontier and Exceed), then yes - theyh could've made their way to the PS4.

If one assumes that the original "1 story arc per 2 episodes" structure of the series that AC outlines in the Study Guide would've been kept up, then ideally, I think, we would get 2 eps for PS2, 2 eps for PS3 and then 2 eps for PS4.
    Shizukesa
    Shizukesa

Would we have seen a Xenosaga on PS4? Empty Re: Would we have seen a Xenosaga on PS4?

Post by Shizukesa Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:35 am

if there were new ones id play them.
    Bigtakilla
    Bigtakilla

Post by Bigtakilla Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:07 am

As said above, it would all depend on the circumstances. Whether the three games we got were the three games out of six we were supposed to get? Did they condense all six? Did they spread two games into three and they still had four games to go? Xenosaga in a lot of ways is a complete mystery as far as how much of it we actually got vs didn't.

That said if it was three of the six games I'd say they would probably all be on PS3. They are cutscene heavy and playable maps and customization were fairly limited as opposed to the Blade series which the focus is on giant maps and tons of customization. Games that favor the former can be made quicker than games favoring the ladder.

Also, characters, locations, story, and mythos have all been introduced, which again makes sequels easier to develop (for an example how FF XIII was able to have a trilogy).

As for spinoffs, they might have been on PS4, but they wouldn't typically get the main development team for a Xenosaga game to do a spinoff fighting game. More than likely a smaller dev team would be tasked to that and Takahashi at most might have been involved as an overseer. Those games wouldn't have an effect on the main games timeline at all.

Last, if they were more successful, would they have been able to build a following similar to FF. No, to put it plain and simple. Jrpg limelight came with the ps1 and ended with the ps2. A lot of the jrpgs still standing, Tales Of, Persona, ect haven't really had a surge of any sort as far as fan base so if I were to be honest I don't see it. Final Fantasy has even seen a decline in sales, and I think they came to grips with the fact nothing would outsell at as they have stated before the game would not be remade unless another game had surpassed it. Nothing has though, and they are still remaking it.

At the end of the day though I'm glad things went the way they did and Xenoblade is a thing. Different strokes for different folks, but I vastly prefer Blades gameplay over story to fit my tastes more, and maybe sequels to X will leave us both satisfied. Here's hoping.
    chaos
    chaos

Post by chaos Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:06 pm

Bigtakilla wrote:As said above, it would all depend on the circumstances. Whether the three games we got were the three games out of six we were supposed to get? Did they condense all six? Did they spread two games into three and they still had four games to go? Xenosaga in a lot of ways is a complete mystery as far as how much of it we actually got vs didn't.

That said if it was three of the six games I'd say they would probably all be on PS3. They are cutscene heavy and playable maps and customization were fairly limited as opposed to the Blade series which the focus is on giant maps and tons of customization. Games that favor the former can be made quicker than games favoring the ladder.

Also, characters, locations, story, and mythos have all been introduced, which again makes sequels easier to develop (for an example how FF XIII was able to have a trilogy).

As for spinoffs, they might have been on PS4, but they wouldn't typically get the main development team for a Xenosaga game to do a spinoff fighting game. More than likely a smaller dev team would be tasked to that and Takahashi at most might have been involved as an overseer. Those games wouldn't have an effect on the main games timeline at all.

Last, if they were more successful, would they have been able to build a following similar to FF. No, to put it plain and simple. Jrpg limelight came with the ps1 and ended with the ps2. A lot of the jrpgs still standing, Tales Of, Persona, ect haven't really had a surge of any sort as far as fan base so if I were to be honest I don't see it. Final Fantasy has even seen a decline in sales, and I think they came to grips with the fact nothing would outsell at as they have stated before the game would not be remade unless another game had surpassed it. Nothing has though, and they are still remaking it.

At the end of the day though I'm glad things went the way they did and Xenoblade is a thing. Different strokes for different folks, but I vastly prefer Blades gameplay over story to fit my tastes more, and maybe sequels to X will leave us both satisfied. Here's hoping.

Pretty sure the original plan for 6 games was scrapped after episode 1's disappointing sales, Episode 1 was half the length it was supposed to be, episode 2 being the rest of 1 along with a missing year, and episode 3 is the original episode 2. AC explained it on his study guide.

So we got 2 out of 6 episodes.
    KOS-MOS
    KOS-MOS

Post by KOS-MOS Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:51 pm

kinda disappointed with bamco's last press conference lol

oh well can't give up hope yet.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:34 pm