Xeno Underground

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Xeno Metaseries Community

Hello, this forum is in read-only mode. There is another forum at https://godsibb.net.

+4
chaos
FishyFish_RU
opkij
katimus_prime
8 posters

Games with a great plot and great characters

FishyFish_RU
    FishyFish_RU

Games with a great plot and great characters Empty Games with a great plot and great characters

Post by FishyFish_RU Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:31 am

I love to ask people to recommend games with great plots and characters. And this place, I think, is very fitting for such a question, since games like Xenogears and Xenosaga specifically attract people who appreciate these two things (I never played Xenoblade, so I can't include it).

Any suggestions for the masterpieces of plot\characters?

P.S. I don't mind old games.
    katimus_prime
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Games with a great plot and great characters Empty Re: Games with a great plot and great characters

Post by katimus_prime Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:09 pm

I highly recommend Vagrant Story as a whole. It's a small game, but it packs a lot of personality, and definitely worth watching a Let's Play. The combat is very difficult, so it turned many people away, but the story is awesome.
    FishyFish_RU
    FishyFish_RU

Games with a great plot and great characters Empty Re: Games with a great plot and great characters

Post by FishyFish_RU Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:53 pm

Thanks I'll check it out. So an LP is better than playing? I never received a recommendation to watch an LP before Smile
    katimus_prime
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:37 pm

Haha, I mean, I totally advocate playing a game before watching an LP, but I've seen IRL reactions by friends ragequitting Vagrant Story, so watching an LP is an option.
    opkij
    opkij

Post by opkij Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:43 pm

Haha, a dangerous start to the topic, Vagrant Story is probably as hard as it gets when it comes to
    RPGs. But yes I like it as well.

Also, this will be the short version but these are some of my favorites and all of them have more
    or less strong or unique stories when it comes to the genre:

Chrono Trigger + (Chrono Cross)
    Suikoden II
    Valkyrie Profile
    Final Fantasy 6
    Terranigma
    Lufia 2
    Tales of Phantasia
    .Hack GU 1-3

FishyFish_RU
    FishyFish_RU

Post by FishyFish_RU Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:27 am

Thank you!
    chaos
    chaos

Post by chaos Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:02 pm

Final Fantasy 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10.

Chrono Trigger.

Persona 3 and 4.

Started playing Radiant Historia which seems really good so far.

Never finished vagrant story, due to combat actually lol.

Id say not RPG's but the Metal gear series have very interesting story's and characters.
    Killer64
    Killer64

Post by Killer64 Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:11 pm

Some I know of would of course be the Chrono series but also Seiken Densetsu (Secret of Mana) series, Valkyrie Profile, Parasite Eve, Suikoden, Star Ocean, and Policenauts although that one is particular is a point-and-click PS1 adventure game Hideo Kojima made which heavily influenced the Metal Gear Solid games. My introduction into the Xeno series with Xenogears and Xenosaga has led me to hunt down the more obscure games most gamers tend to overlook or forget about.
    RadicalDreamer
    RadicalDreamer

Post by RadicalDreamer Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:55 pm

- Final Fantasy Tactics : I had a bad case of "it's one of the most highly regarded jRPG when it comes to plot and I don't want it to know all about it too soon". And so, I stopped at chapter 1/2 out of excitement and anxiety. But boy, it was good and I should ultimately come back to play the rest one day.
    - FF7 : a classic... but everyone here probably played it. If you didn't, go for it of course.
    - Shadow Hearts series : mostly, the first and second (Covenant) one. The third is fun, I think... but so much lighter and disconnected from the story people loved in the first two games. Probably not too complex... but highly enjoyable imo... with wacky and moving/sad moments.
    - Planescape Torment : at least for the writing (it's novel quality... it litterally reads like a novel too) and the amazing and peculiar lore.
    - not a RPG... but I'd recommand Ghost Trick (it's funny, original and the plot really surprises you in the end). It's done by the same guy who did the Ace Attorney games (the first trilogy being a must to play btw).
    - not a RPG either... but Silent Hill 2... its plot and characters are really fantastic. I always cry at the end (that letter  Crying or Very sad ).

I wish I could also find more games with great stories and characters that really appeal to me. It has gotten more and more difficult, imo (most stuff that could appeal to me are probably old games... I'd like to play the Suikoden series, Baten Kaitos series, Terranigma, Anachronox and a few more I may not remember or know about). Lately, I was really digging the atmosphere and basic story of FF15 (plus, Noctis is a really sweet main character... Prompto is also extremely lovable... and
    Spoiler:
    is really effective... it's been a while since the main series had a villain like this one... since FF9's Kuja imo... some others would say Seymour from FF10 but I didn't like him) but the storytelling was butchered, the game not being quite finished (lots of people say that it's the new Xenogears because of this... especially as lots of people still really like the game despite the issues *myself included*... the difference though is that Xenogears' story was huge next to it... and not as faulty when it came to directing imo... FF15 probably also has more sidecontent too... even if I'm not sure it's all great... MMORPG quests *fetching, hunting* are the bane of modern gaming... people will do them because OCD is powerful stuff *I suffer from it, I know*... but they're cheap content imo *the way some games try to make them more attractive is to build stories around them... a few more interesting than others*... but the fishing, photos, etc... I think this stuff was nice). I didn't play this game though. I don't have the money for anything these days... and since it was FF, I figured it would be impossible not to be spoiled. So I watched a LP.

Otherwise, the only upcoming game I expect a great story/character time from is Persona 5. Always loved each new title more than the previous one. P3 was the discovery, so it felt new and original to me (for gaming... in animes, not so much... i'm talking about the "highschoolers with superpowers" concept). P4 was an improvement with characters I felt much closer to (I was HUGELY attached to the Dojima family ç_ç). I have a great feeling about P5. The theme seems interesting considering how I feel about my own life, the music seems better than ever, great character designs, improved graphics à la Catherine, improved gameplay in dungeons... Seems golden. And it's the only upcoming game I can also play (since it's still coming out on PS3... bless). Especially as my birthday is coming up soon (I'll know what to ask).
    Bigtakilla
    Bigtakilla

Post by Bigtakilla Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:05 pm

Xenoblade Chronicles and X. If you haven't played either, great series. X might lack a bit as far as main story the depth in which it builds its characters is epic.
    Shizukesa
    Shizukesa

Post by Shizukesa Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:19 am

final fantasy x
    devil may cry
    onimusha

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:21 pm