Xeno Fannage!


    Annoying things about games

    Share
    avatar
    TheMagician

    Posts : 789
    Join date : 2012-12-20
    Age : 32
    Location : N. Syracuse N.Y

    Annoying things about games

    Post by TheMagician on Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:09 am

    I thought this would be a neat topic since we're all gamers (At least I assume we all are). Often, even if you love a particular game, there is some part of it that you just find absolutely annoying. It could be a random instant death/critical hit in an RPG that you may or may not saw coming but nonetheless screwed you over. Or maybe you got destroyed by a fighting game's super boss without even hitting him. Perhaps its a stupid and tedious puzzle that's more of a chore to complete than anything else.

    It could be anything really, and that's what this thread is for. What drives you insane when it comes to games?

    Off the top of my head, the major thing that can drive me absolutely batty are QTE's (Quick Time Events). Thanks to the Resident Evil series, I grew to despise QTE's. My reason being is that my reaction time isn't always fast enough, or I could be in a tight spot in the game when a QTE pops up and I impulsively press the wrong button because I'm under pressure. Personally, Resident Evil 4 wasn't so bad with the QTE's. The only times I really died were probably my own fault and were a result of Leon losing his health completely. (Or accidently executing Ashley. lol, major facepalm moment whenever that happened)

    Then RE5 rolled around, and it took QTE's to a whole new level. Suddenly, these damn QTE's are my leading causes of death and it was at this time I began to hate those sequences. RE6 makes it worse by far. There's so many of those sequences in the game that I could often find my character getting brutally killed and facing the "Game Over" screen in an instant. Normally I'm pretty accurate with most QTE's though. Should I fail and get killed however, I'll have to do it all over again which gets infuriating. On top of that, any enemy that can straight up kill me outright drives me insane too.

    I love the Resident Evil games, I just really hate the QTE's and didn't care for them ever since they were introduced. I'm aware that QTE's exist in other games too, its just that the RE games are the only game's I've really played that feature them.

    Anyone care to share stories? I have more stories of course, but if I told them now, I'd be in front of the computer all day.  Laughing

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Annoying things about games

    Post by Guest on Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:49 am

    Man...there's a lot of them to tell here too lol,well,the first one I remember is ninety nine nights 2,those birds which make some absurdly irritating sounds,and barely let you get up again,that's very annoying x.x

    That goes to any other games I've played that there are weak mobs that attack you all the time,leaving your defense open to stronger ones.

    Final Fantasy XIII, Vanille voice: after a while you really feel like letting her die.

    I love Resonance of Fate,but one thing that is boring is grinding about 10 levels per chapter,that's the reference for the normal difficulty of course. (But in neverland level grinding is absurdly easy and fast)

    I'll save more occasions to later,while I remember them xD
    avatar
    Xernova
    Xerno Res Novae

    Posts : 2231
    Join date : 2012-12-19
    Age : 33
    Location : Belgium

    Re: Annoying things about games

    Post by Xernova on Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:59 am

    @TheMagician wrote:I love the Resident Evil games, I just really hate the QTE's and didn't care for them ever since they were introduced. I'm aware that QTE's exist in other games too, its just that the RE games are the only game's I've really played that feature them.
    I assume you've never played Heavy Rain then; the game which is more like a movie with QTE's as the main gameplay element. 8D
    (It's a great game, though. It tells a memorable story and it has an easy mode for the QTE's specifically for those who aren't good at it)

    Well, there are several things which can annoy me about games. Something which I often find tedious in RPGs specifically is level-grinding. Never been a fan of that, and it's the main reason why I make "über-saves" (*) at certain points in the game, so that when I replay an RPG I can switch to those saves once I reach that point again to avoid having to level-grind.

    (*) über-saves = separate saves in which your characters are (slightly) overpowered/higher-leveled than is really needed at that point in the game. I try to avoid making them too overpowered, but don't always succeed, aha.
    [For example; in XSII, I have a separate save of the Orgulla boss battle in which defeating her isn't too hard (medium difficulty). And in FFXII I can defeat the final boss in about 5 seconds (that's "a bit" too overpowered, lol)]

    The completionist in me also goes trophy hunting every now and then, and I've bumped into some challenges which I found highly annoying. Anything with a tight time limit, "do not take damage" challenges or even a save limit are things which annoy me.

    Heck, it doesn't even have to be a trophy challenge. Sometimes a game has in-game achievements of sorts, such as Vagrant Story's unlockable "Titles". I had to give up on the 30-chain-combo Title because I just found it so ridiculously hard and infuriating that I decided to admit defeat for that highly annoying challenge.

    Oh, and Shadow of the Colossus is probably the most impressive, yet at the same time annoying game, I've ever played. The boss fights are all of epic proportions, but most of them have an irritating consequence when you screw up.

    Examples;

    Fighting a flying boss by getting on its back and stabbing it while trying not to fall off? Very cool until you do fall off and have to spend another 5 minutes trying to get on its back again. Repeat every time you fall off.
    Getting on the back of a giant by climbing up a bridge and jumping on the boss from up there? Fun the first time, but if said giant succeeds in shaking you off his back, you'll just have to climb up on that bridge all over again. Repeat every time you fall off.
    It's the main pattern of the game, really; do cool stuff to reach the giant boss' weak spot, and repeat all that cool stuff again and again whenever the boss manages to throw you off. As I said, epic boss fights which can become highly annoying.

    It gets a lot worse when you try to complete all of SotC's evil time trials, in which you have to defeat these bosses again within an often tight time limit (even worse in Hard mode). It had been quite a while since a game seriously pissed me off, but SotC succeeded. Hence why I like to think of it as a (very) flawed masterpiece. >.>

    I'll leave it at this for now, this post is getting long.

    <edit>

    Wait! One more thing which I absolutely must mention;
    Rare random drops. In any game. So very annoying!


    _________________
    An angel and a little devil...
    Spoiler:

    avatar
    TheMagician

    Posts : 789
    Join date : 2012-12-20
    Age : 32
    Location : N. Syracuse N.Y

    Re: Annoying things about games

    Post by TheMagician on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:01 am

    @Xernova wrote:
    I assume you've never played Heavy Rain then; the game which is more like a movie with QTE's as the main gameplay element. 8D
    (It's a great game, though. It tells a memorable story and it has an easy mode for the QTE's specifically for those who aren't good at it)
    You assume correctly. An easy setting would be nice, but unfortunately, the QTE's in Resident Evil respond to difficulty level. Normal is just fine and I don't recall having that many problems with Veteran, but bump it up to Professional (or No Hope in RE6), and they can get ridiculous. I'd probably be okay if the timing wasn't so strict at times.

    And I'm with you with the level grinding in RPG's. Its likely the most redundant task I can think of. Speaking of level grinding, I have one game that is a serious offender in this category: Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria. That game's difficulty spikes very early on, and in order to survive battles without getting destroyed, you need to power level, and that takes a lot of time in this game. When I first played, the difficulty caught me off guard real fast. If I wasn't determined to beat the game I most likely would have stopped playing all together. Whenever I played VP2, most of my time was spent grinding. No other RPG I have can match this.

    For the record, do not get me started on those blasted rare item drops...  Mad  Laughing

    I don't focus on Trophies/Achievements too much. I do welcome a challenge every once in a while though. But the ones that are 'online only' are the ones that irritate me the most. Obviously, you have to play the game online, and I detest online gaming greatly for various reasons, so that's even more irritating. And the demands on some of these! Example: "Win 1000 times with *character's name* online!" (I think I'll pass...) The emphasis on "online-only" has always bothered me and so many games focus exclusively on that these days. I'd much rather play on my own, or in RE5 and RE6's case, play co-op with a friend of mine right beside me.

    But yeah, the challenges that annoy me offline are the "take no damage" and "complete within a certain amount of time" ones, which goes for any game really. I hate time challenges the most, as I really don't do well when I'm pressed for time since I'd rather move along at my own pace. Completing something quickly is almost never on my objectives list, especially considering the fact that my chances of making careless mistakes increases ten-fold when I'm rushed in anything.

    Better leave it at that for now. Sheesh, the memories are flooding in now...
    avatar
    chibi
    Jr.xShion Pioneer!

    Posts : 1048
    Join date : 2013-01-05

    Re: Annoying things about games

    Post by chibi on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:30 am

    My biggest aggravation comes from the rare drops and monsters. Final Fantasy XIII-2 really pushes my buttons with that. I actually enjoy the game (love Noel!), but it just does not want to give up rare monsters especially. I spent quite a while trying to hunt down the Albino Lobo because it's supposed to be a great RAV in the beginning, and it is, but I shouldn't have to spend so much time looking for it!

    Puzzles also can irritate me if I can't figure them out in a decent amount of time.

    Oh, wait, I just remembered what made me so angry I threw my controller, which is something I never do. In Final Fantasy X, the stupid chocobo race. I was THISSSS close to having the time I needed for Tidus after how many times of trying it, and I had just had it. My controller went flying, and I walked away from the game. Funny how it's one of my favorite games, anyway. XD


    _________________
    avatar
    Xernova
    Xerno Res Novae

    Posts : 2231
    Join date : 2012-12-19
    Age : 33
    Location : Belgium

    Re: Annoying things about games

    Post by Xernova on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:41 am

    AlphaOmega wrote:Final Fantasy XIII, Vanille voice: after a while you really feel like letting her die.
    Vanille's moaning in battle just sounds so... wrong. >.>

    @TheMagician wrote:You assume correctly. An easy setting would be nice, but unfortunately, the QTE's in Resident Evil respond to difficulty level. Normal is just fine and I don't recall having that many problems with Veteran, but bump it up to Professional (or No Hope in RE6), and they can get ridiculous. I'd probably be okay if the timing wasn't so strict at times.
    If I'm not mistaken, you can equip a skill in RE6 which makes the in-game QTE's easier. But I haven't unlocked that skill yet, I've been spending all my skill points on infinite ammo skills so far. >8P

    @TheMagician wrote:I don't focus on Trophies/Achievements too much. I do welcome a challenge every once in a while though. But the ones that are 'online only' are the ones that irritate me the most. Obviously, you have to play the game online, and I detest online gaming greatly for various reasons, so that's irritating. And the demands on some of these! Example: "Win 1000 times with *character's name* online!" (I think I'll pass...) The emphasis on "online-only" has always bothered me and so many games focus exclusively on that these days. I'd much rather play on my own, or in RE5 and RE6's case, play co-op with a friend of mine right beside me.
    Agreed. Anyone who takes a look at my trophy card (the one in the spoiler box in my signature) will probably soon notice I've skipped at least 90-95% of online trophies (a few exceptions, e.g. with Uncharted 2/3 and MGS: Peace Walker). I'm very much a single player (hence the little note underneath my trophy card), in general multiplayer just ain't for me.

    @TheMagician wrote:But yeah, the challenges that annoy me offline are the "take no damage" and "complete within a certain amount of time" ones, which goes for any game really. I hate time challenges the most, as I really don't do well when I'm pressed for time since I'd rather move along at my own pace. Completing something quickly is almost never on my objectives list, especially considering the fact that my chances of making careless mistakes increases ten-fold when I'm rushed in anything.
    I have the same problem with time limit challenges; I often get nervous and then I might start making really silly mistakes. Speedruns are one of my biggest obstacles in any game; it's the reason why I've decided to skip the "get an A-rank in RE: Code Veronica" challenge. I don't care too much about the trophy for that one, however unlocking the rocket launcher would have been nice. But I just can't be bothered with it anymore, especially since you're only allowed to save once in the middle of the game for getting said A-rank. Ridiculous!

    Heheh, we seem to be annoyed by similar things in games.

    @chibi wrote:My biggest aggravation comes from the rare drops and monsters. Final Fantasy XIII-2 really pushes my buttons with that. I actually enjoy the game (love Noel!), but it just does not want to give up rare monsters especially. I spent quite a while trying to hunt down the Albino Lobo because it's supposed to be a great RAV in the beginning, and it is, but I shouldn't have to spend so much time looking for it!
    You may already know this, but using Feral Links against enemies increases the chance of getting a crystal drop. However, I'm still not entirely sure if this means simply using the Feral Link in battle or actually finishing the enemy off with one... I've seen different theories on this. Not sure if there's a proper answer by now (but surely at this point somebody should be able to confirm what the actual requirement is).


    _________________
    An angel and a little devil...
    Spoiler:

    avatar
    chibi
    Jr.xShion Pioneer!

    Posts : 1048
    Join date : 2013-01-05

    Re: Annoying things about games

    Post by chibi on Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:19 am

    It's not even getting the crystal drop, Xernova.  Once I finally found Albino Lobo, I got his crystal to drop in the first battle.  It was just getting the annoying beast to show up in the first place! XD

    And also, I've tried the Feral Link to try to get crystal drops different times, and it doesn't seem to help.  It's like XIII-2 went out of its way to be annoying on this front because it's basically an easy game otherwise.  

    Aw, I love Vanille, guys.  But yeah, her moaning does sound pretty bad. Laughing


    _________________
    avatar
    TheMagician

    Posts : 789
    Join date : 2012-12-20
    Age : 32
    Location : N. Syracuse N.Y

    Re: Annoying things about games

    Post by TheMagician on Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:59 am

    @Xernova wrote:I have the same problem with time limit challenges; I often get nervous and then I might start making really silly mistakes. Speedruns are one of my biggest obstacles in any game; it's the reason why I've decided to skip the "get an A-rank in RE: Code Veronica" challenge. I don't care too much about the trophy for that one, however unlocking the rocket launcher would have been nice. But I just can't be bothered with it anymore, especially since you're only allowed to save once in the middle of the game for getting said A-rank. Ridiculous!

    Heheh, we seem to be annoyed by similar things in games.
    I knew I wasn't the only one who felt this way about some things. lol And wow, I never knew that about Code Veronica. Reaching that half-way point can take quite a while and relying on that one save on top of doing it as quickly as possible? What if you were to die? Yeah... That would be bad. Note taken - I would not cope well with that challenge.

    @Xernova wrote:If I'm not mistaken, you can equip a skill in RE6 which makes the in-game QTE's easier. But I haven't unlocked that skill yet, I've been spending all my skill points on infinite ammo skills so far. >8P
    I haven't seen one, but when challenging the "No Hope" difficulty that was recently added onto the game, it makes no difference as skills are banned all together, meaning you can't use them. On top of that, you'll run out of ammo faster than you can gain it. It really makes "No Hope" very stressful, especially when you're down to just knives with Leon and Chris, Jake's Hand-to-Hand combat, Sherry's Stun Rod... Piers and Helena are kinda helpless when out of ammo due to lacking a melee weapon which doesn't help, having to rely solely on countering and using their regular melee attacks. And there are some enemies I really wouldn't advise fighting up close.

    I also don't have anything against multi-player, but I'm so used to 'local' games in my own or a friends house. Some games are more fun with others, and they're easier to enjoy when I'm around people I trust. Maybe I'd care a little more about online gaming if I didn't run into jerks all the time whenever I did play (which is a once in a blue moon thing). The fact that I also tend to attract losers who do not hesitate to "rage-quit" when I'm playing a fighter doesn't help matters either, and that serves as a trigger for making me really mad. This is why I have such a negative stance on online gaming.

    @chibi wrote:Oh, wait, I just remembered what made me so angry I threw my controller, which is something I never do. In Final Fantasy X, the stupid chocobo race. I was THISSSS close to having the time I needed for Tidus after how many times of trying it, and I had just had it. My controller went flying, and I walked away from the game. Funny how it's one of my favorite games, anyway. XD
    Oh gawd, that blasted race... Sometimes it only took me a few tries. Other times, I have to do it so many times I lose count, trying to keep myself calm which can be really hard to do when I consistently get hit by 5 birds in a row. I find that the "Butterfly Catching" game required for Kimarhi even more annoying though. Regardless, I hate both.


    Last edited by 79 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
    avatar
    JerriLeah7
    Little Master

    Posts : 3109
    Join date : 2012-12-16
    Age : 29

    Re: Annoying things about games

    Post by JerriLeah7 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:16 pm

    Rant time!  Wewt!  Forgive me irritated tone, please.  xD

    Spoiler:
    Resident Evil 1 - 5:

    Really?!   You can't walk and shoot at the same time?!  Any NORMAL person can do that much!!  I mean, c'mon....I don't need a too-perfect Lara Croft (Tomb Raider) or a hilariously badass Nate (Uncharted) to fight zombies with, but geez walking/backing away at more than a few centimeters a minute is not complicated.  Just sayin'.

    And on Resident Evil 4....Ashley.  I hate her.  I felt nothing but pure joy when I accidentally shot her...regardless that I had to start all over because of it.  And I will admit that I shot her on purpose repeatedly on several occasions.


    Resdient Evil 5 & 6:

    ZOMBIES WITH GUNS!?  There are plenty of things you can do to make a game harder--like making the ORIGINAL ZOMBIES as they should be, with lots of strength and raising how much damage they do and other methods....but GUNS.  Someone was clearly not thinking.  Yeeeeaaah.   Fail.  

    And these NEW ONES--they aren't even REAL ZOMBIES.  They are just people infected with a virus that are still intelligent and do weird things like growing extra eyeballs and painting their faces.  WHAT THE CRAP.  PLUS, there's a zombie CTHULU.  Really?!?  We need tentacle rape now in our zombie games?!  x.x'

    The zombie world is coming into oblivion.  And I'm not even going to go into the whole "turning the RE RPG series into shooter games" spiel.  Not touchin' that subject.

    And RE 6--why do you have a spider & spider web themed title when there aren't any freaking spiders in the game?  That's so weird...don't get me wrong, I hate spiders and I don't miss them...but don't promise 'em on the cover so I can dread them throughout the game if they aren't gonna be there!

    FF X-II:

    I should not have my abilites, skills, accuracy, and spells determined by what clothing I am freaking wearing!!!  Why the crap should I have to wear skimpy, super-revealing clothing just to do more damage and to shoot guns?!  This.  Makes.  No.  Sense.  Grrr!

    Xenosaga II:

    What. The. Crap. Did you do.  TO ALL THE CHARACTERS?!   Geez, Shion doesn't even look like the same character!!  Even her FACE is a stranger to me!!  Those clothes--they aren't even her STYLE, I say!!  (Okay, okay, that's probably wrong, but it's still how I felt.)

    Don't even get me started on the battle system with the mechs.  >.<'


    Space Invaders:

    I was under the shield, damn you!!!!   >( UNDER IT.  I SAW IT WITH MY OWN EYES.


    FFF XII:

    Vaan.  Enough said.

    /end rant


    _________________

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Annoying things about games

    Post by Guest on Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:33 pm

    Leah7 wrote:Rant time!  Wewt!  Forgive me irritated tone, please.  xD

    Spoiler:
    Resident Evil 1 - 5:

    Really?!   You can't walk and shoot at the same time?!  Any NORMAL person can do that much!!  I mean, c'mon....I don't need a too-perfect Lara Croft (Tomb Raider) or a hilariously badass Nate (Uncharted) to fight zombies with, but geez walking/backing away at more than a few centimeters a minute is not complicated.  Just sayin'.

    Xenosaga II:

    What. The. Crap. Did you do.  TO ALL THE CHARACTERS?!   Geez, Shion doesn't even look like the same character!!  Even her FACE is a stranger to me!!  Those clothes--they aren't even her STYLE, I say!!  (Okay, okay, that's probably wrong, but it's still how I felt.)

    Don't even get me started on the battle system with the mechs.  >.<'

    /end rant

    Those two suits me very well too,I didn't play the other games,though.

    Xenosaga 3...Labyrinthos security system phrase! I'm not even going to put it here...geez!
    avatar
    chibi
    Jr.xShion Pioneer!

    Posts : 1048
    Join date : 2013-01-05

    Re: Annoying things about games

    Post by chibi on Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:35 pm

    I have suddenly thought of another thing that drove me crazy, and this honor goes to a Tales of game - Graces f, to be exact.

    In the Lineage and Legacies part of the game, you have to go to the Eleth Research Laboratory.  Well,
    Spoiler:
    as you're trying to escape after Little Queen pops up, there are these stupid lasers that keep trying to get you.  In the last section before you get back to the shuttle, they come up through the floor ALL OVER THE PLACE.  If you get hit enough times, a random battle with enemies occurs.  This sucks because you are down to 1HP, so that means at least one of your AI characters will die before you can recover.  I cannot avoid the lasers no matter how I try, so this scenario happened to me whenever I played through this part.

    So yeah, Graces f can drive me crazy at a certain point even though I love it.


    _________________

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Annoying things about games

    Post by Guest on Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:20 pm

    @chibi wrote:I have suddenly thought of another thing that drove me crazy, and this honor goes to a Tales of game - Graces f, to be exact.

    In the Lineage and Legacies part of the game, you have to go to the Eleth Research Laboratory.  Well,
    Spoiler:
    as you're trying to escape after Little Queen pops up, there are these stupid lasers that keep trying to get you.  In the last section before you get back to the shuttle, they come up through the floor ALL OVER THE PLACE.  If you get hit enough times, a random battle with enemies occurs.  This sucks because you are down to 1HP, so that means at least one of your AI characters will die before you can recover.  I cannot avoid the lasers no matter how I try, so this scenario happened to me whenever I played through this part.

    So yeah, Graces f can drive me crazy at a certain point even though I love it.

    Yeah, that Little Queen boss was such a pain. In particular, I never knew you could get rid of the auto-paralysis effect of the first battle against them, so I was having a REALLY difficult time, even with Syrup Bottles.

    And Leah7, you should check out the Xenosaga Emission books that are currently being translated:

    http://forums.xenotensei.com/index.php?topic=615.0

    It gives some really interesting information on the character designs.

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Annoying things about games

    Post by Guest on Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:35 pm

    Something annoying...... in a game...... in a Xenosaga forum......
    How about THE PILOT OF OMEGA RES NOVAE? HAVE YOU SEEN HIM? HAVEYOUHAVEYOUHAVEYOUHAVEYOU!?
    Seriously, it's not in Labyrinthos, it's every single alarm warning in the game. I just wanna know WHY. I mean, did anyone even test the game? It's just impossible that no one noticed how annoying those alarms were!

    Dialogue boxes that lock your movement suck too. If they only locked you the first time you saw them it would be fine, I just don't see why you should be forced to stand still to see a dialogue if you have already seen it before. You accidentally talk to the NPC again and BAM! You're frozen! Then you keep mashing the confirm button to pass all the text boxes as soon as possible because you're annoyed, and you end up talking to the NPC again! = /

    And then, there's Yu-Gi-Oh Forbidden Memories, but this game takes everything to a whole new level.
    It's just plain ridiculous. The CPU doesn't even TRY to hide that it's cheating!
    And it doesn't cheat like "once in a while". It cheats ALL THE FREAKIN TIME. That game is just impossible.
    Your only chance is playing like a million "free duels" and getting perfect ranks every time, then MAYBE you can get something that's actually useful.
    avatar
    Xernova
    Xerno Res Novae

    Posts : 2231
    Join date : 2012-12-19
    Age : 33
    Location : Belgium

    Re: Annoying things about games

    Post by Xernova on Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:59 am

    Zeal wrote:How about THE PILOT OF OMEGA RES NOVAE? HAVE YOU SEEN HIM? HAVEYOUHAVEYOUHAVEYOUHAVEYOU!?
    Seriously, it's not in Labyrinthos, it's every single alarm warning in the game. I just wanna know WHY. I mean, did anyone even test the game? It's just impossible that no one noticed how annoying those alarms were!
    Didn't bother me, lol. As a matter of fact, I had completely forgotten about that until AlphaOmega first mentioned it. It sort of reminds me of RE self-destruct alarms;

    "The self-destruct system has been activated. All employees proceed to the bottom platform! Repeat: *pause* The self-destruct system has been [etc.]"

    I find those kind of alarms rather... catchy. xD

    And I'm probably one of the few who liked the change from XSI's badly-out-of-proportion anime character designs to XSII's normal-looking character designs. I consider the XSI designs a failed attempt at bringing anime design to 3D. The only thing I like better about the XSI designs is the amount of detail put into the models (e.g. they actually have fingers and not block-hands like in XSII). In XSIII they made the ideal combination of anime/realistic design imo (it still has the anime feel, but not badly-out-of-proportion like in XSI).

    So yeah, I guess it's safe to say XSI's character designs annoyed me, yes.
    Same for the horribly slow battle animations in XSI. And the choice not to use music in most areas (sure, it may have been to enhance the isolation-in-space feeling, but even so I just didn't like it). And dear God, why did they reuse the main battle theme for almost everything? Not just random encounters, but also for; boss battles/Xeno Card/A.G.W.S. Battle Arena... I was seriously tired of hearing the main battle theme after a while. >.>

    XSI has so many design choices which I dislike (as listed above) that it's my least favorite XS game. Perhaps sad, but true.


    _________________
    An angel and a little devil...
    Spoiler:


    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Annoying things about games

    Post by Guest on Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:39 am

    I agree on the QTE's.  Why does Resident Evil keep using them so extensively?  They are almost universally hated.  It has not been "new" or "innovative" for almost ten years.  It really isn't suspenseful when I die in a cutscene over and over.

    I especially disliked the rope climb QTEs in RE6, because I could not figure out what hold and release sequence they were trying to get me to do.  The symbols for this particular QTE were so vague to me.  

    I very rarely died in RE4, 5, or 6 from anything that was not QTE-related.

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Annoying things about games

    Post by Guest on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:48 pm

    Zeal wrote:Something annoying...... in a game...... in a Xenosaga forum......
    How about THE PILOT OF OMEGA RES NOVAE? HAVE YOU SEEN HIM? HAVEYOUHAVEYOUHAVEYOUHAVEYOU!?
    Seriously, it's not in Labyrinthos, it's every single alarm warning in the game. I just wanna know WHY. I mean, did anyone even test the game? It's just impossible that no one noticed how annoying those alarms were!

    Dialogue boxes that lock your movement suck too. If they only locked you the first time you saw them it would be fine, I just don't see why you should be forced to stand still to see a dialogue if you have already seen it before. You accidentally talk to the NPC again and BAM! You're frozen! Then you keep mashing the confirm button to pass all the text boxes as soon as possible because you're annoyed, and you end up talking to the NPC again! = /

    And then, there's Yu-Gi-Oh Forbidden Memories, but this game takes everything to a whole new level.
    It's just plain ridiculous. The CPU doesn't even TRY to hide that it's cheating!
    And it doesn't cheat like "once in a while". It cheats ALL THE FREAKIN TIME. That game is just impossible.
    Your only chance is playing like a million "free duels" and getting perfect ranks every time, then MAYBE you can get something that's actually useful.


    That card game is DEMONIAC DUDE!
    avatar
    salut hurricane

    Posts : 223
    Join date : 2012-12-21

    Re: Annoying things about games

    Post by salut hurricane on Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:39 pm

    I'll probably think of more when I get more time but I've always been peeved that the Onimusha games don't have a freaking jump button. I'd assume the reason why Capcom held back on it was because it would be too similar to Devil May Cry... but sometimes it's weird if Soki can jump 15 feet in the air to chop down a giant Genma and can't jump in-game over the height of a wicker basket.

    Oh yeah, another one. Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition. Why is it that Vergil doesn't even get a freaking double jump when Dante has 3 Air-hikes on various weapons and an Air Dash with Trickster. Ok fine they give Vergil an upwards and downwards teleport (which is sick in combat), but it doesn't cover as much height as Dante's moves. Doing the same platforming parts as Vergil ended in a lot of lowered ranks because my times would lengthen. Which is silly since Vergil's murdering power is ridiculous x_x. Dark Angel being like Trickster my butt. Not to mention the platform-based blue orb fragments were a way bigger pain than they were with Dante.

    I wasn't overly fond of the designs used in XS2 either, but I was mostly un-fond of the designs in XS3 minus Jr, chaos, MOMO, and Jin. KOSMOS looking like a Chobit-cat had me facepalming and Shion's gear had me questioning how her top-suit thing worked and if oil would be needed to take it off. When the characters were meant to look good in the more polished cutscenes in XS2 I actually quite liked the style the characters were in. I find that since you very rarely get those really nice cut scenes and they look outright chunky in-game it just makes you resent the character designs even more. Another gripe about XS2, ugh.

    XS3's sound engineering also needed a little brush up. WHAT WAS UP WITH THE OBNOXIOUSLY LOUD FOOTSTEPS. I get it if Kossy's giant heels make a loud clack but even Jr's little shoes and Shion's freaking sneakers clap like glass boards. I had Jin most of the time because the sound of his boots weren't as loud. Another thing about XS3. Why was it when the characters talked to each other in battle their mouths just flapped open and closed randomly (I get that it'd be out of sync since the English version is dubbed but I don't think it'd be all that accurate even in Japanese. They literally just open and close), while in cutscenes they had their mouths taped shut? It's been a while since I've played so forgive me if I'm incorrect but man I remember being hella annoyed by that.

    Also, Pokemon Stadium 1 and 2. The computer critical hits all the dang time!

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Annoying things about games

    Post by Guest on Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:55 pm

    On the Xenosaga designs... I agree with most of that. The bigger issue for me is that the design needed to change that drastically at all. I didn't particularly like the big-headed doll look in XS1, but there was nothing particularly wrong with the designs themselves, aside from maybe too much fan service. MOMO could use a longer skirt, the female uniforms could be more professional (compared to the male ones, which are always full-body jumpsuits).

    But those aren't really things that were addressed. Instead it was like, everything has to be completely different. And it made no sense at all because only a few minutes had passed between those two games. So they had to start out in their original costumes anyway to avoid a continuity error.

    So yeah, I would agree on the larger issue that I dislike it in a direct-sequel franchise when they feel the need to change everything in some overly reactional effort to try and draw a bigger crowd. You are pretty much stuck with the base you've got after the first installment with that kind of episodic product, and changing stuff around only alienates them further.

    To contrast, the .Hack series was produced in a tight and effective manner. I found the games kinda boring in the end, but I had to appreciate their successful approach to the whole "

    episode"

    thing.

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Annoying things about games

    Post by Guest on Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:02 pm

    Yeah, the character design that suddenly changes in XS2 and the sound in XS3 bothered me too. I preferred the way characters looked in the first game, and in XS3 it's not only the footsteps, but all the sound effects.

    I play with my headphones on, and whenever I get in an E.S. battle, the shooting sounds always make me turn the volume down. But then after the battle, it feels like it's too low for the music, so I turn it up, and then the shooting almost makes my ears bleed again, so I'm constantly changing the volume while I play it! Sometimes, like in the Omega Metempsychosis battle, I wanna hear the specially epic soundtrack, but the battle sounds of the mechs seem to be so much louder, that I sometimes mute the game and play the song in the Windows Media Player = /
    avatar
    JerriLeah7
    Little Master

    Posts : 3109
    Join date : 2012-12-16
    Age : 29

    Re: Annoying things about games

    Post by JerriLeah7 on Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:11 pm

    OH and another thing....

    FFVIII--HOW could they let ODIN die so easily in such a stupid, lame moment!?!?! He should not have died in that way AT ALL EVER. AGH. I LOVE Odin, especially in VIII, so to let him die in such a way really upset and disappointed me.

    I raged, I though the controller, and I was like WTSF NO. So I get pissed when I think about it. Yeah.


    _________________

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Annoying things about games

    Post by Guest on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:50 am

    XENOSAGA 2, MORE LIKE XENOSAGA POO:
    So apparently Xenosaga 1 went waaay over the budget, which is why it was torn apart.
    But like...the battle system...everything ;A;

    Xenosaga 3: IF YOU HAVE SEEN THE PILOT FOR OMEGA RES NOVAE, PLEASE CONTACT SECURITY IMMEDIATLEY

    DmC: Devil May Cry:
    Spoiler:
    The game itself wasn't bad, it was just what they did to Dante:
    "IM YOUR PROM DATE YOU UGLY SACK OF SHIT!"
    "FUCK YOOOU!"
    "IT'S MADE OUT OF SQUIRREL SEMEN!"

    It's like they were trying to appeal to 12-year-olds because SEMEN LOL SO FUNNY XDDDD
    It also doesn't help that Ninja Theory doesn't appreciate the original DMC games and they thought they can make it better

    Resident Evil 1-4:
    DEM CONTROLS, MAN
    As much as I love you, RE, YOUR CONTROLS

    Fist of the North Star: Ken's rage:
    Fighting Jagi and Raoh
    avatar
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

    Rank : Sassmaster
    Posts : 2075
    Join date : 2012-12-16
    Age : 36
    Location : Baltimore

    Re: Annoying things about games

    Post by katimus_prime on Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:01 am

    I haven't replied to this thread because I think it deserves some serious and objective thinking, but I only have one minute left before work starts, so all I gotta say is that XSII's battle system was paced for a Tactics-style game. Nothing wrong with tactics style games, but I don't want to spend 10 minutes on every battle in a story as fast-paced and exciting as Xenosaga's.


    _________________

    "There is no growth without birth.  Without a foothold in the past, we cannot walk toward the future.  Get thee gone, darkness!"
    avatar
    chibi
    Jr.xShion Pioneer!

    Posts : 1048
    Join date : 2013-01-05

    Re: Annoying things about games

    Post by chibi on Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:08 pm

    Why does everyone say II's regular battles take 10 minutes or more? I won't say that as you get near the end of the game, they don't take longer because they do. But if they're taking you that long from the start, you're doing something seriously wrong. :eek2:

    I get that the battle system does take some getting used to, but it's not anywhere near as bad as a lot of people say. Sorry, but I like Ep. II and I feel the need to defend it. :cry2:


    _________________
    avatar
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

    Rank : Sassmaster
    Posts : 2075
    Join date : 2012-12-16
    Age : 36
    Location : Baltimore

    Re: Annoying things about games

    Post by katimus_prime on Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:55 pm

    That's a valid argument, chibi. I just didn't get over that learning curve and got frustrated. Up until that point, I'd played just about every JRPG Squaresoft had put out and expected XSII's playstyle to be more like Xenogears' and XSI's, but it wasn't. Every battle didn't take 10 minutes, though. I meant that as a comical exaggeration. But the amount of preparation that had to go into every single turn of every single battle turned me off. If it had come out closer to when I first played FFTactics, I would have been a lot more receptive to it.


    _________________

    "There is no growth without birth.  Without a foothold in the past, we cannot walk toward the future.  Get thee gone, darkness!"
    avatar
    chibi
    Jr.xShion Pioneer!

    Posts : 1048
    Join date : 2013-01-05

    Re: Annoying things about games

    Post by chibi on Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:41 pm

    kat, you have no idea how many times I've seen it said they take that long and it's not an exaggeration. So I tend to jump to the game's defense automatically.

    It's also funny because I'm not a tactical game kind of person and yet I love Ep. II. I'm odd, I know. :laugh4:


    _________________

    Sponsored content

    Re: Annoying things about games

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:11 am