Xeno Underground

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Xeno Metaseries Community

Hello, this forum is in read-only mode. There is another forum at https://godsibb.net.

3 posters

MBTI types

FishyFish_RU
    FishyFish_RU

MBTI types Empty MBTI types

Post by FishyFish_RU Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:42 pm

The MBTI types is a pretty popular topic everywhere. Which MBTI types do you think Xenosaga characters are? cheers
    stitchedmoon
    stitchedmoon

MBTI types Empty Re: MBTI types

Post by stitchedmoon Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:01 pm

Ooh, good discussion topic!  I always get kinda hung up on MBTI types myself, because depending on what version of the test I'm taking I seem to waffle between INFP and ISFP a lot, and I have trouble telling the different functions apart or figuring out how they apply to other people or characters. ^^;  But I'd love to hear your headcanons!  And everyone else's!  (I'm also curious as to how that ties into the characters' Enneagram personality types, which were mentioned in the Original Design Materials for Episode 1.)
    FishyFish_RU
    FishyFish_RU

Post by FishyFish_RU Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:25 pm

The only character I'm reasonably sure about is Wilhelm, who should be INTP.

Of course, I tried to figure out what type chaos would be, he should definitely be IF, but the rest? I can't tell between four types: ISFP, INFP, ISFJ, INFJ. The big problem with him lies with the fact that he's portrayed so differently between the games, especially in ep I and ep II. I can't say whether he has high outward emotional expres​sion(ep I) or low (ep II). *shrug* The database entry that describes him as sorrowful, contrasted with an overly happy game voice, doesn't help, either. Also, his hand gesture (hand over wrist), I used to be the only one I knew who did it... It's a socially defensive gesture mixed in with a feeling of modesty\humility. But I suppose it isn't typal, it just conveys that he dislikes to be the center of attention and is nice.

I'd need to look at enneagrams for others, to have some hints xD I'm so afraid to say something stupid xD
    RadicalDreamer
    RadicalDreamer

Post by RadicalDreamer Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:58 pm

That's really fun ! I would be really interested in trying to type the Xenogears characters as well.
    I'm not an expert though.
    FishyFish_RU
    FishyFish_RU

Post by FishyFish_RU Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:16 am

RadicalDreamer wrote:I would be really interested in trying to type the Xenogears characters as well.
    I'm not an expert though.
    It's fine, join in Smile
    stitchedmoon
    stitchedmoon

Post by stitchedmoon Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:19 am

FishyFish_RU wrote:Of course, I tried to figure out what type chaos would be, he should definitely be IF, but the rest? I can't tell between four types: ISFP, INFP, ISFJ, INFJ. The big problem with him lies with the fact that he's portrayed so differently between the games, especially in ep I and ep II. I can't say whether he has high outward emotional expres​sion(ep I) or low (ep II). *shrug* The database entry that describes him as sorrowful, contrasted with an overly happy game voice, doesn't help, either. Also, his hand gesture (hand over wrist), I used to be the only one I knew who did it... It's a socially defensive gesture mixed in with a feeling of modesty\humility. But I suppose it isn't typal, it just conveys that he dislikes to be the center of attention and is nice.

I kinda see him as being more emotionally reserved--like, he's probably in touch with his feelings but doesn't express them the way Jr. or Shion would, for instance.  If that makes sense.  (Also I believe he and Ziggy are both described as Enneagram type 9.)
    FishyFish_RU
    FishyFish_RU

Post by FishyFish_RU Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:16 am

More reserved, ISFJ\INFJ then? These are quite emotionally reserved. I happen to know the examples. Also both types are obsessed with morality, which is fitting.

I don't believe there's a direct connection between enneagram types and MBTI types. There is some, but one enneagram types can match a few MBTI types. So Ziggy doesn't resemble ISFJ\INFJ to me at all. Although I believe he was said to be an "unhealthy nine"? I'm not sure how an unhealthy ISFJ would act like, for example Smile

Btw, intuition and sensing shouldn't be too difficult to tell apart, unless they're really close. If you have high intuition, you're likely to have issues with memorizing faces quickly or memorizing the town, i.e. you're a little bit too much "inside of yourself" to pay attention to physical surroundings. Sensing is the opposite.

It can be easy to see sensing in people if you physically interact. Sensers kinda of have the aura of full presence about them, while intuitive types seem small and vague in comparison. I hope I'm making some sense trying to describe that in English.

Additionally, to tell between INFP and ISFP... ISFP is usually elegant, likes to cook and care for others physically. INFP is a bit nebulous, romantic, and has low energy issues, so will not work hard without someone's strong kick. These types are really close, it's no surprise you can't decide who you are.
    stitchedmoon
    stitchedmoon

Post by stitchedmoon Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:08 pm

^ Ohhhh, yeah, that makes a lot of sense, thank you!  I can kind of see myself as a little of both, though with that explanation I'm probably more on the INFP side--I've been told (by previous employers even) that I lack "situational awareness" and I'm "spacey" and zoned out, and from personal experience I can't memorize faces, couldn't find my way out of a paper bag, etc. etc.. ;P  OTOH I do like cooking and caring for people, it just takes a lot out of me and I have to lie down for half of the day.  orz

Yeah, personality-wise I don't think Ziggy and chaos have much in common other than sort of a generally calm temperament or something.
    FishyFish_RU
    FishyFish_RU

Post by FishyFish_RU Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:40 am

I've been asking a friend about this topic. Not about Xenosaga in particular (she doesn't know this fandom), but about whether MBTI and enneagrams correspond in some way.

I'll translate what she wrote to me so far. It's only about three subtypes for now, she promised to write about enneagrams later.

Here goes:

I don't see parallels with the MBTI types, these are two completely different systems. MBTI is about a 'brain processor' that we've got from birth, which processes the external information in a specific way (so called type), and no matter how you try to bring that individual up, her or his strong functions will hold reign anyway. As for enneagrams, they're about priorities that get shaped by the specifics of parental care at early age, i.e. we're talking of something LEARNT. That's why we can't directly draw any parallels at all between these systems.

But just to draw some kind of picture...

Surviving instinct suptype

It resembles an aspect of introverted sensing (comfort, health, etc.) rather than some particular MBTI type. And remotely an aspect of extraverted logic (down-to-earth, pragmatism).
    Healthy candidates: ISTJ\ISTP
    Unhealthy candidates: ENTJ\ENFJ (as introverted sensing is their 'ill' function). And let's ignore the introverted logic as an ill function (ISFP, INFP), since they can stop caring for themselves physically, or be obsessed with food and health, which is a typical ill introverted sensing behavior.

Sexual subtype
    It resembles extraverted emotion. Libido is usually linked to sensing, and as for romantic feelings, that would be introverted intuition and extraverted emotion. But since the description of the sexual subtype mentions the difficulty of focusing on the priorities of one own self and difficulty caring for oneself, it's clear that there's no sensing in this case, only emotion.
    Healthy candidate: extraverted emotion + introverted intuition - ENFJ
    Unhealthy... in a very remote way: INTP\ISTP (extroverted emotion being their ill function)

Social subtype
    It resembles a victim-type introverted feeling (to be liked, to feel safe, to be approved, to adapt to other people) and collectivism (family, group, community, etc). Therefore we can try to ignore the gamma feeling types and focus on delta feeling types: ENFP\ENFJ. However, survival instinct is somewhat close to extraverted sensing, yet ENFJ has it as its ill function... That doesn't correspond.
    Therefore a healthy candidate would rather be ENFP.
    Unhealthy: almost canon ENTP\ESTP. ENTP a bit more so, since it's easy to imagine a suspicious and untrusting ESTP, but a scared ESTP is something hardly imaginable.
    stitchedmoon
    stitchedmoon

Post by stitchedmoon Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:37 pm

Wow, thank you for sharing this! :3 I also have a friend on tumblr who runs a personality profiling blog at http://humanarchetypehouse.tumblr.com/ if you're interested.
    FishyFish_RU
    FishyFish_RU

Post by FishyFish_RU Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:41 pm

Can she type Xenosaga's main cast? *hopefully* Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:11 am