Xeno Underground

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Xeno Metaseries Community

Hello, this forum is in read-only mode. There is another forum at https://godsibb.net.

+5
Ben
JerriLeah7
opkij
Yikari
katimus_prime
9 posters

Things We Lost in the Import

katimus_prime
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Things We Lost in the Import Empty Things We Lost in the Import

Post by katimus_prime Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:55 pm

The import from the locally hosted phpbb board at xeno-underground.net to the externally hosted forumotion board here wasn't perfect.  I'd like to keep a list of things that got dropped for imported accounts.  If you're an imported user and you've found something new to put on this list, please reply to this topic!

We will do our best to make things better with what we've been given to work with, but for now, we're stuck with what we have as per Forumotion's Terms of Service topic regarding Forums Import - https://www.forumotion.com/terms-of-service

Here's a link to the old board if you need it.

1. Activation Status - Basically, when all the accounts were imported, they were put to sleep.  You must request a password reset to re-activate your account.  I made a rudimentary tutorial for that here.
    2. Avatar - You're just going to have to re-upload it.  You can now navigate to the old board to get your old one!
    3. Signature - Check your signature for bad code.  A lot of links and pictures got mangled.
    4. Birthdate Entry - Since Forumotion uses a French date system, it clashed with the original bbs' format, so dates were scrambled.
    5. Private Message History - This didn't carry over, either. You can now navigate to the old board to get to your history!
    6. Forum Theme - We can only have one layout here, unfortunately.  :c  We're very open to suggestions based on member feedback for layouts and features that they want, tho.

Last edited by katimus_prime on Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:43 pm; edited 4 times in total
    Yikari
    Yikari

Things We Lost in the Import Empty Re: Things We Lost in the Import

Post by Yikari Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:58 am

Does PM history count? I just wanted to look up something in mine and realised it's nowhere to be found. Unless I've just really missed something in the new layout?
    katimus_prime
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:41 pm

Augh, I guess that got dropped as well! Damn it. I'll PM you here about your PMs over there!
    opkij
    opkij

Post by opkij Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:28 pm

I am happy as long as the forum lives on but I also noticed that all PMs was gone...
    katimus_prime
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:09 pm

Awrighty!
    I've unlocked the old board so that peeps can look at their PMs and avatars - http://xeno-underground.net/bbs
    JerriLeah7
    JerriLeah7
    Little Master

Post by JerriLeah7 Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:27 pm

I am sorry that the transfer has been so difficult. Sad
    katimus_prime
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:41 pm

By comparison, it could have been much worse, though! All the forum posts and members came over in-tact, which was my main concern.
    Ben
    Ben

Post by Ben Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:18 am

It took me a few days to get around to reading this forum and figuring out why I couldn't log in. lol!
    katimus_prime
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:48 am

Hey Ben!
    Was there anything we could have done on our end to speed up your account retrieval?
    Ben
    Ben

Post by Ben Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:28 am

katimus_prime wrote:Hey Ben!
    Was there anything we could have done on our end to speed up your account retrieval?
    No, this was purely an incidence of me being stupid and forgetting what email I made the account with. Embarassed
    opkij
    opkij

Post by opkij Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:06 am

O! Thanks for "unlocking" the PMs katimus_prime!
    kare_reiko
    kare_reiko
    Donator

Post by kare_reiko Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:22 pm

Do we have only this one skin for forum or there is some place where it can be change?
    katimus_prime
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:55 pm

kare_reiko wrote:Do we have only this one skin for forum or there is some place where it can be change?

Yes, unfortunately, we only have one skin on Forumotion.  We can build three at a time, but we can only set one of them active at a time. Was there a specific feature of the layout you used on the old board that you wanted here? If it's a small enough fix, I can try to see about getting myself or stitched or leah to build it in.
    stitchedmoon
    stitchedmoon

Post by stitchedmoon Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:30 pm

^ What Kat said! I can definitely try to fix the current layout if there's something missing from it. Also let me know if you have any suggestions in general! The skin we're using was modified from an existing one and I kinda figured out how to do it as I went along, so it's probably not perfect. ^^;
    kare_reiko
    kare_reiko
    Donator

Post by kare_reiko Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:43 am

No, it's just my eyes somehow hurt with this colors mix, don't worry, I will just put on my glasses more often Wink
    stitchedmoon
    stitchedmoon

Post by stitchedmoon Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:06 pm

Oh gosh, I'm so sorry! I know I have a tendency to use painfully bright colors in everything, so if it's uncomfortable to look at, I can probably tone it down a bit.
    JerriLeah7
    JerriLeah7
    Little Master

Post by JerriLeah7 Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:10 pm

katimus_prime wrote:
    kare_reiko wrote:Do we have only this one skin for forum or there is some place where it can be change?

Yes, unfortunately, we only have one skin on Forumotion.  We can build three at a time, but we can only set one of them active at a time.  Was there a specific feature of the layout you used on the old board that you wanted here?  If it's a small enough fix, I can try to see about getting myself or stitched or leah to build it in.

Actually, if you create a back up forum, there is some coding you can do to have two themes--the main one and the back up (whichever theme you have on the back up forum)-- to choose from. =) There is a tutorial on it.
    Arubedo
    Arubedo

Post by Arubedo Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:16 pm

Oh man, I forgot I even had an account here |D School does that to you, but yeah!
    katimus_prime
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:58 pm

Leah, that sounds great! I just need to find the time to slow down and take a look.
    Welcome back, Arubedo! :3
    Reichu
    Reichu

Post by Reichu Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:04 am

Hi there! Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I was trying to read forum content dating to 2014, and the formatting is so weird as to make the posts nearly unreadable. Links are either truncated or exploded into uselessness, there are two line breaks following every starting quotation mark, and so forth. I'm guessing this is a side-effect of the import, and maybe there's nothing that can be done about it, but I felt there was no harm in asking.
    katimus_prime
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:19 am

Reichu wrote:Hi there! Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I was trying to read forum content dating to 2014, and the formatting is so weird as to make the posts nearly unreadable. Links are either truncated or exploded into uselessness, there are two line breaks following every starting quotation mark, and so forth. I'm guessing this is a side-effect of the import, and maybe there's nothing that can be done about it, but I felt there was no harm in asking.

Yeah, something I'm noticing with a lot of older posts containing anything other than plain text is that there's something up with anything that uses a \ or a /. Since the import has come and gone, I don't think there's anything that can be done en masse to old content unless I take a month and go through all of them and shine them up (which I don't have time to do). I just learned that \ is what is known as an escape character in one of my Javascript courses, so it's treated differently in order to get certain plaintext stuff to display properly.

tl;dr, I think we have to deal with it, but if you wanted to give yourself a better preview, you could draft up a reply from the quoted text and edit out the badness and hit preview again until it was legible. Sometimes I'll take an old post and make it not-broken-anymore because I necro it.
    stitchedmoon
    stitchedmoon

Post by stitchedmoon Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:25 am

Yeah, I noticed that too. If I have some time, maybe I'll start going through and cleaning up some of the old posts or at least try to make a dent in it.
    katimus_prime
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:09 pm

Thanks, Stitched! Since attention is being focused on it, I'm gonna poke at the Gears section.
    stitchedmoon
    stitchedmoon

Post by stitchedmoon Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:17 am

stitchedmoon wrote:Yeah, I noticed that too.  If I have some time, maybe I'll start going through and cleaning up some of the old posts or at least try to make a dent in it.

Welp, a year late and a couple bucks short, but I'm slowly working on fixing the posts that got mutilated in the import. :B  (Shoutout to the two glasses of wine I drank last night that made me randomly decide to start in on this.  See, alcoholism can be functional.)  I think I got most of the Creative Works section done, and I'm going through the Announcements now.

Issues I've noticed so far:

• <br> tags (a line break in HTML) and weird characters inserted into URLs, causing the links and image tags to break
    • line breaks after certain punctuation marks interrupting paragraphs of text (as Reichu noted above)
    • some of the BBCodes and smileys for the old forum don't work on the new one (so depending on the circumstance, I've either replaced those with the closest equivalent or just let it stand as-is, for archive reasons)
    • broken images and links that are no longer available (mostly left these as they were, just cleaned up the line breaks that got dropped into the URLs)
    • some of the borked code/formatting was so wacky it was actually mangling the layout of the thread??  Like the purple bars and footers of the post were all over the place, haha.

I've still got a lot of work cut out for me, and I know things have been pretty slow around here, but hopefully this will go towards making the older posts more readable and navigable.  I'll probably bump this thread again if/whenever I get closer to being done, but in the meantime, if you see something out of whack, lemme know? :3c
    stitchedmoon
    stitchedmoon

Post by stitchedmoon Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:52 pm

Mini-bump! Forum Administration section (the Announcements, Welcome Area, and Suggestion Box) is mostly cleaned up. I'll probably go through and work on the remaining boards in the order they're listed, unless anyone wants me to focus on a particular section as a priority. But I think I'm gonna take a break for tonight, because combing through all those posts is giving me the tetris effect and I have a feeling I'll be editing out line breaks in my sleep. @m@

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:58 am