Xeno Underground

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Xeno Metaseries Community

Hello, this forum is in read-only mode. There is another forum at https://godsibb.net.

4 posters

How Can I Become A Rockstar?

Shizukesa
    Shizukesa

How Can I Become A Rockstar? Empty How Can I Become A Rockstar?

Post by Shizukesa Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:42 am

So Im here to ask seriously, how can I be great at singing, guitar playing & also song writing?

I am to assume I need college of some kind? I only have High School Deploma so anything college I dont have the slightest idea how to do. Can anyone please provide information so I can make this happen?
    stitchedmoon
    stitchedmoon

How Can I Become A Rockstar? Empty Re: How Can I Become A Rockstar?

Post by stitchedmoon Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:10 am

IDK much about music personally, but my brother and husband are both musicians of some kind, and neither one of them finished college (my husband graduated high school, while my brother quit a year early and got his GED, so they're both pretty self-taught).

My bro is a drummer who's played in a lot of bands and has been practicing since he was maybe 10 or 11 years old (he's in his 20s now), and I think he mainly got good at it by practicing a heck of a lot, self-studying music theory, and taking private lessons (he also teaches lessons, and I've heard teaching someone else can be a good way to get better at something too).

With my husband, he started out singing choir and performing with his family and doing karaoke at bars and stuff, and eventually he joined a local rock band (I think by looking on Craigslist?) that does shows around here. Again, from what I've seen, it takes a lot of practice and hard work, and (especially if you're in a band with other people) the ability to coordinate things with your bandmates and make connections and that sort of thing. You don't necessarily need a degree or an academic background in music (though it might help), just a LOT of passion and self-discipline and dedication to practicing a lot.

Dunno if that helps, but that is my anthropological observation as a non-musician dwelling among very musically inclined people who are very committed to their stuff. (Journal entry: they have accepted me as one of their own and do not yet suspect that I am completely tone deaf. I pray that they do not hear me singing in the shower.)
    salut hurricane
    salut hurricane

Post by salut hurricane Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:27 pm

So! Lessons like stitched suggested are key, and of course practice. You might want to consider finding a mentor, or an experienced player to start showing you tricks. What you also want to do is explore many different kinds of music and understand their structures, so music theory is an absolute must. Guitar playing is fun but you might want to start with something like piano to understand scales, tone, chords, and key. As for singing try a variety of styles. Pick out 5-6 different singers and try emulating their styles and try to understand what they're doing to their voices. You also need to get really good at pulling your voice from your diaphragm and not your throat.

I've found in my own experience you need to do a warmup for your voice, so sitting down at a piano (that's well tuned) and playing one note at a time up a scale really helps for getting you in key.
    Shizukesa
    Shizukesa

Post by Shizukesa Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:29 pm

ive been useing youtube to teach me stuff. also im going to keep with guitar not keyboard cuz i really dont want to play that. xd assuming i can still learn music theory & possibly guitar theory. assuming i can still do this on youtube. im just starting out & i want to play all metal & sing metal. i love marilyn manson, rob zombie & i want to sing like cradle of filth but that guy is so complex! as of now i think i can do drowning pool. my voice is totally different obviously but i think i can sing his style rather easily he seems to sing very clear words &

im used to singing along to things that are clear but in future id rather sing more like dani filth. i havent the slightest idea how to acheive that?  i cant afford lessons of private teaching im in poverty. possibly i can do collage on grants & free things to learn but i dunno that process. id like to goto full sail university. itd be hard as hell though. universities are usually very demanding & id be doing any style they pick for me to do it seems rather than the style i want which is metal cuz thats what i want my career to be. partly cuz it sounds fun & also im tired of this minimum wage crap for the rest of my life. i want to own stuff & do stuff big with life.

i have a small tiny keyboard but i really hate keyboard always have really want guitar & singing & i need to learn to write songs both lyricly & instramentally. then i assume i have to figureout how to get seen/noticed assuming youtube is good for that & other places online. dunno how to start my own band though so i need to learn whos good at what they do & whos not & just teaching myself will pull all that together.

by the way this sounds it sounds like learning music is like learning web desgin. theres tons of free sources out there that teach html/css etc (which i already know & never been to school for) i just have to find & figure out what sites online are the best for teaching me music. any more ideas or suggestions to help?
    salut hurricane
    salut hurricane

Post by salut hurricane Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:08 pm

Youtube and Soundcloud are good places to start, and obviously covers will get you way more views than original work. Build up a fanbase by performing covers while you pursue original craft. And just because you're doing a cover doesn't mean you can't do your own spin on it;

my brother for example started out doing blues covers of prog. rock songs. L Music theory is really not anything too insane, especially if you take it slow. I suggested keyboard however since music theory tends to default to piano sheetmusic, since it's the most basic form of understanding notes. That said, you can totally do it with guitar, but I think first I'd recommend you find out what keys are. You can always buy a Royal Conservatory music theory book from your local store, or look up guides online.

Now, just because you want to play and only sing metal doesn't mean you shouldn't look at everything else. What you're gonna want to do first is figure out how your vocal range looks so far (mezzo, soprano, baritone, tenor), and then try to extend it through training. Most important thing, you gotta learn how to project. I don't know where you stand right now, but if there's one thing that every style of music absolutely NEEDS is that you have to learn how to project your voice without destroying your vocal chords. Proper breathing is really key to doing those huge booms singers are capable of. I think I've splurged enough of my insanity on here though, so good luck in your endeavours.
    Pixy
    Pixy

Post by Pixy Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:39 pm

you don't need a degree to know how to ROCK

are you interested in composition at all? that's pretty important to all bands, in order to achieve 'rock star' status. somebody in the band's gotta be able to write the freaking songs, unless you wanna be hacks. even if you want to play metal it benefits greatly to study classical/jazz theory. PM me if you're interested in study materials...

also, i don't think rock bands really get famous in america anymore. when's the last time a rock band got famous on the radio. i think it might have been guns n' roses. I guess they exist, just not to the extent they used to.
    Shizukesa
    Shizukesa

Post by Shizukesa Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:15 am

yes seriuosly want to do this. i also know writing real songs are important to getting those big hits. ive decided i want to make my own band & i will be doing most of the heavy lifting & hard work on a constant basis because being part of something that large requiers that. i just dont want to fuck up or leave it up to some other fuck up xd. ive got a cool idea for a metal vampric goth looking band in appearance & fashion style. i know sub geners get mixed up all the time because theres such fine lines as to what defines it (not sure what they are those fine lines to me it all sounds like metal). i can tell you i love marilyn manson, john 5, cradle of filt & rob zombie. but when i sing it feels like drowning pool might be an easier style to approach in sound type. i dunno what sub genere they are. they just somehow sound easier.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:33 pm