Xeno Underground

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Xeno Metaseries Community

Hello, this forum is in read-only mode. There is another forum at https://godsibb.net.

5 posters

Metal Gear Rising

Metal Gear Rising Empty Metal Gear Rising

Post by Guest Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:19 pm

So, this game is coming out soon. Anybody who is interested?

I would love to get it, because Raiden was always one of my favorite characters. But it'll be too expensive for me at its release, and I won't have much time to play it anyway.

Anybody played the demo that came with Zone of the Enders HD? Another set I'd like to have, but I'm too broke. Le sigh.
    salut hurricane
    salut hurricane

Metal Gear Rising Empty Re: Metal Gear Rising

Post by salut hurricane Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:27 pm

I haven't even bought ZoE HD yet. I'm a giant MGS tard, and even though I didn't like the direction of Raiden's character when he went from relatable audience-surrogate to ninja badass, Rising looks intensely sick. It was a good decision of Konami to give production rights to Platinum Games since the style of Rising is sort of...nothing close to being a spy XD.

I'm not sure how I'm gonna feel about getting the game (eventually), just since my feelings towards the MGS series and its ever-growing canon are complicated and contradictory. Though I'm guessing Rising will be one of those, "don't listen to the story just kill stuff" sort of experiences :I I hope it doesn't feel too much like Shinobi meets Devil May Cry.
    Xernova
    Xernova
    Xerno Res Novae

Post by Xernova Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:05 pm

I've once posted my opinion on Metal Gear Rising before, and I thought I summed it up pretty well, so here you go;

*copy &paste*

Xernova wrote:MGR: Revengeance officially lost my interest with the newest trailer. It just looks too damn gory, I already looked away from the screen during said trailer. Too much is too much, do not want.

As for Raiden himself, I've never really liked him myself. But I didn't hate him either, he was just there. I dislike the way Quinton Flynn voices him, though. Especially in MGS4. Actually, I like everything about Raiden better in MGS2 compared to MGS4. I don't know why he suddenly became more popular in MGS4, because I thought his personality was about 3 times worse in that game, while in MGS2 I thought he was "okay".

Spoiler:
    However, I was satisfied with the way his story concluded in MGS4. But now Revengeance seems to be ruining that again. I think I'll just pretend this game isn't canon, lol.
    In addition, the concept of slicing up soldiers like steaks kinda bothers me. And yes, I know you can play through the game as a "no kills" pacifist, but even then, that trailer... just yuck (it showed a gory cutscene of a guy getting his head sliced, that's when I looked away).

So yeah, I have no interest in this title anymore. But I'm very much looking forward to MGS: Ground Zeroes (and the possibility of the Phantom Pain being MGS5). ^^

Post by Guest Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:53 pm

I agree with Salut there about Raiden.  I really liked the character Raiden before they tried to make him all dark and edgey.  MGS2's ending had such an uplifting message to it and then boom MG4, MISCARRIAGE, ALCOHOLISM, you are dying and waaangst.  I feel like fanboys were just uncomfortable to play someone kinda feminine and not always badass, so they're like "hey, let's make him a cyborg" and stuff.  But it's no fun if you're already a badass in every game.  I like MGS3 a lot too, for that reason.  

This game's story was changed at some point during development, so it now takes place after the Metal Gear Solid 4 timeline.
    Spoiler:
    Jintoki
    Jintoki

Post by Jintoki Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:56 pm

Yeah, I was okay with Raiden in MGS2; I didn't hate him though I didn't particularly like him either.  But in MGS4 he just became way too emo for my tastes (and, sadly enough, I usually like emo characters, to an extent).  From the new trailer, Raiden seems to be transforming into some kind of psychotic killing machine, so I'm wondering just how he went from possibly putting his family back together to THAT.  But I played the demo and actually enjoyed it.  The combos flow fluidly and it plays pretty well (though, I think the camera might have made me a bit motion sick).  I will probably rent it instead of buy it, though.

Post by Guest Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:57 pm

Well, first of all, I have to say the only MGS game I finished was MGS3 and I don't know anything about Raiden.

Now, with that in mind, I can't really be disappointed by the way they're handling his character or anything of the sort.
    What I've seen so far is crazy hack n' slash action by the same guys who developed BAYONETTA, which is one of my favorite games ever \o/

So, yeah, this game looks awesome to me, but I didn't have many expectations since I'm very unfamiliar with the series. So I understand that many people may be seriously disappointed with it.
    LadyTwi
    LadyTwi
    Inquisitor Extraordinaire

Post by LadyTwi Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:17 pm

I'm with the folks who like MGS2 Raiden better than MGS4 Raiden. He was my absolute favourite character in the series and I still love him, but I just can't help but think about him as two completely different characters. However, Rising does look pretty badass and I will most likely get it, though probably not as soon as it comes it.

Post by Guest Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:14 pm

So, did anyone play it? From what I've read it seems to be really fun but also pretty short = /
    LadyTwi
    LadyTwi
    Inquisitor Extraordinaire

Post by LadyTwi Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:24 pm

I've heard that as well. I'm waiting for the price to come down on it;

it's about $20 more than I want to pay for it. XD For now I picked up a poster at HMV and stuck it up on my wall to hold me over.
    Jintoki
    Jintoki

Post by Jintoki Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:53 am

I rented it. It was really short -- It only took me 5 hours to beat. I was actually shocked, because based on the pacing of the story, I expected there to be a lot more to it. But it was a fun ride. Story was at times a B-action movie that just so happened to take place in the MGS universe, but it did have some interesting concepts.
    HikariKuragari
    Chaos & Jr Fangirl

Post by HikariKuragari Thu May 30, 2013 4:31 pm

I played the game fully as well and I really enjoyed it, although I never played the other MTS myself before, I saw people playing and I guess that game just gave me an extra push to want to buy and play all the others xd...

But I must say from what I saw of 2-4 and rising... I really like Raiden no matter which version. I like the fact that he comes from far and had an hard life and stuff... will say more on spoiler ;

Spoiler:

Anyhow, for those who don't mind a short, but epic gameplay game I say play it even though it's short, it's still worth it. Don't forget to listen to the codec convos, they're fun xD... My only sadness about this one is the fact that a lot of characters weren't as deep as they normally should be or rather the story was fast, really fast, but it was still very hard not to get into it, which is a good thing.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Oct 18, 2024 6:17 am