Xeno Underground

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Xeno Metaseries Community

Hello, this forum is in read-only mode. There is another forum at https://godsibb.net.

4 posters

XBX Feedback Thread

katimus_prime
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

XBX Feedback Thread Empty XBX Feedback Thread

Post by katimus_prime Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:55 pm

So, hearing that Mr. Takahashi wants feedback from the various articles that have been posted, I figured I'd start a thread for it.  My experience in working with devs at a studio is to try to word it like an adult and not be rude when still describing negative things, and they might actually listen.  But one person's perception of rudeness might be different from another's, and working on an MMO game that can be patched is much different than working on a game that can't be patched.

TL;DR, opinions expressed here won't reflect my own, unless they actually are my own.  :B  

Edit: It's late and I just want to play and I want my feedback to be thoughtful so maybe tomorrow. orz
    Yikari
    Yikari

XBX Feedback Thread Empty Re: XBX Feedback Thread

Post by Yikari Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:55 pm

Well, I have yet to get anywhere in the game - I've spent about two hours straight in the character creator (Very Happy) - but I have noticed that the font on most elements of the UI is a bit too small for me on both the gamepad screen and on my tv. And I don't think there is an option for font size.

I mean, the wireless range and tv's screen size allow me to comfortably see everything that's happening on the screen from about three meters away or even more, but the font size kind of reels me back in as if I am using good ol' short cables again. Seems kind of a shame, if you ask me. Sad
    katimus_prime
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:29 pm

Yeah, the fonts are really small, even on the big screen.  If I took my gamepad to play in another room, I don't think I'd be able to read it.  I don't know how much of it is Japanese taking much less physical space for its words, or if the fonts were just as small in the Japanese version.  I want to say I remember Xenosaga II having the same problem, but looking back at XSII, it seems very simple in comparison to XBX: https://youtu.be/E96kCt3MZsA?t=4m25s

The complexity of XBX is very overwhelming, but I do like the game despite its shortcomings.  (I'm actually kinda forcing myself to take a break right now, but I really want to get back to it.)

Here's the big block of feedback that took me two days to write!

Spoiler:

I'll probably have more to say the further I get in, but this is based on where I am so far.
    Yikari
    Yikari

Post by Yikari Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:28 pm

Hmmm. I have yet to get to much of anywhere, but I already have to note how the jump is surprisingly practical, despite its unassuming appearance. Ideally, I'd like to have a ledgegrab as well, but even as it is I have to commend the mobility this game allows the player character.

Also, the airborne camera. I am not sure if commentaries of people like me on early footage releases affected this or the dev team devised it before that, but the result is, IMHO, beautiful and useful.
    Yikari
    Yikari

Post by Yikari Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:54 am

Yesterday I've spent about ten minutes not being able to figure out why I couldn't complete one of the objectives in the mission that introduces you to research probes ('Probe-fessional' I believe it was called). Then I've noticed that I didn't actually have enough resources to complete the installation process and felt silly.

But maybe it is indicative of potential for UI improvement?

Thinking back on it, the detail that threw me off the most was the lack of the button to confirm the change from the basic probe to the research one specified in mission objectives instead of it being grayed out or something like that. Or the lack of the required resource highlighted in red on the information card above it. Basically, the exact same things that are present in the shop interface but are lacking here.
    Yikari
    Yikari

Post by Yikari Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:37 am

Ran into some issues with sound design, unfortunately.

Footstep sounds, thankfully, seem to be less overpowering now when compared to some examples from the past, but songs - especially the ones with lyrics - tend to drown out characters' speech in cutscenes on a regular basis in the parts of the game I've seen so far.

There has also been a number of scenes where the music that plays does not fit the mood the rest of the scene is setting. This doesn't seem to be the norm in the few sections I've went through - I've found some quite successful hits with some regions' exploration songs, in my opinion - but even with just three chapters finished the number of nitpicks I have is already a bit discouraging.
    opkij
    opkij

Post by opkij Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:32 pm

Phew, I have been playing the game as much as possible since it was released and I am probably ready to finish the main story by now. I agree that the game has a lot of minor problems that adds up but the main thing for me was always about exploring the world and that is one thing that really lives up to my expectations!

Yikari
    Yikari

Post by Yikari Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:10 am

I think I've ran into a couple of actual bugs.

Nothing serious, but seeing folks of the weapon manufacturer you can recruit after chapter 6 before I actually made contact with them among the passerby NPCs in the hangar below the main tower was mildly jarring.

As I was starting the chapter 6's actual story quest, the commander spawned in the barracks and repeated what he said to me about meeting Lao's team at the beginning of chapter 4 word for word. Probably should not have happened.

XXX

re: chapter 6 itself:

spoilers inside:

XXX

On Skells:

- My first impression was 'woah, floaty controls!' While it is possible to counteract the issues with careful use, it will still try to screw you over the moment you give it half a chance.

And there is no reverse in the vehicle mode. All your movement modes using the same basic control scheme is probably the reason why, but, given the turn radius on the thing, it would've been nice to have.

- The second thing I've noticed is that there appear to be no BLADE division paintjob presets available. Seems like a missed opportunity to me.
    katimus_prime
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:17 pm

I've been playing the game nonstop pretty much every day since I got it and I'm still not done the main campaign! I've stopped to grind in order to buff myself up to get Chapter 11 squared away. It really is truly addictive (I can sense my husband's annoyance when he comes home and I've only done half the household upkeep chores) and I just want to get to the story parts, and there seems to be a lot less tedious red tape the further in I get, but the game kinda lets you get lost and doesn't really reward you for getting as lost as you get in the way you choose to get lost. The map percentage explored is especially :/ on account of having to dash in and out of high level monster areas, so my strategy has been to run in without my skell and hope the enemies leashes are short enough that they stop chasing me before I can button mash a probe in. I think I'd be more amenable to that tactic if it were introduced better, but I don't actually dislike it as much as it sounds like I do? I feel like it's cheating.

The first time I got the flight module for the skells, I cried because it was so gorgeous. If this had been available for Xenogears, it would have been super-nostalgic on top of that, but there's no going back to that really. Now I'll just have to wait another 15 years for that first robot-flight nostalgia in a xeno game.

Sometimes I think I'm playing a little bit of a Captain Ahab simulator in do much as I get the feeling that there's a goal just beyond my reach and I'm getting really crazy trying to reach to get it. The thing that's different about this from the tragedy of Captain Ahab is that I can actually get the things I'm striving for eventually, and when I get them, it feels very rewarding, because I've had to do without for so long. Getting my first Skell was really rewarding, and I can see the value in putting it so far out of reach to start with. I felt a real-world sense of accomplishment, and that's really rare in a video game these days. People get all the power right away to feel empowered, and that sells the game for some people, but still leaves a lit bit of emptiness.

Sorry for babbling. ^^; it's been a while since I've checked in, though.
    Bigtakilla
    Bigtakilla

Post by Bigtakilla Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:55 pm

I will agree with bigger text, and volume controls to turn up the volume of voices and down the music.

As far as characters I thought they looked fine, very Xenosaga ish. If they did want to change them though, just get with the Smash devs . They worked with them in terms past, Shulk looks amazing in Smash. That'd be what I'd want to see. Though I do think the biggest issue people are having is the low poly count due to the complete open world. Just more poly count and tweek a them a tiny bit maybe.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 11:12 pm