Xeno Underground

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Xeno Metaseries Community

Hello, this forum is in read-only mode. There is another forum at https://godsibb.net.

+2
kare_reiko
Xernova
6 posters

Shion's Glasses

Shion's Glasses Empty Shion's Glasses

Post by Guest Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:03 pm

This is something I've always been very confused about in Xenosaga.

The various databases claim that the glasses Shion wears were made especially by Kevin so that Shion can perceive things normally. The DS version gives additional information, that Shion normally wore holographic glasses, which helped her see, but were not a perfect solution. Kevin replaced them with the glasses using the UMN to allow her to see properly.

What confuses me is that after Allen accidentally breaks her glasses, she has no trouble seeing anything, and doesn't seek to replace them. Even if she could not fix the ones Kevin gave her, wouldn't she at least want to use holo-glasses? And if those were unavailable, wouldn't she at least suffer some negative effects with her vision?

It seemed like the designers just didn't want her to wear glasses anymore. Or was there a plot reason that happened that I simply don't remember?

Shion's Glasses Empty Re: Shion's Glasses

Post by Guest Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:37 pm

It's funny that you bring this up, just recently Gwendal translated the Shion section of the Xenosaga E3 Emission book, and it mentions her glasses:

PAGE 71

Box: Ep3 Shion faces

Left caption: []All-season clothing time

Right caption: []Summer clothing time

I really want glasses

In the beginning, I designed her hairstyle to be pulled back in a tight bun, in line with the order I received, but the image felt wrong. So in the end I gave her a design that would make her seem more active, as seen in the lower right [illustration]. I liked her original odekochan design too, but it was a bit too plain for the main character's hairstyle. [Not quite sure what he's referring too, seems like a brand of doll or something. Maybe some kind of anime slang?]

Shion's face is basically rather plain, so if you take away her symbolic glasses, there's not too much left of her identity, which would be a problem. I tried drawing her with her EP1 hairstyle to check this. Are there any points where the hairline subtly stops before her eyes? [A bit unsure about this one, sorry]
    Thinking about this, I decided to make her forehead more visible.

What I call "summer clothing" is the outfit she wears during the time they spend on Pedia Island during the story. Actually, I made it a swimsuit and gave her a normal hairstyle. I also tried having her wear holo-sunglasses, but I gave up on the idea.

This is a bit of a digression, but she actually has something we can call "nose glasses" embedded in her nose like a piercing, right? Personally, I think that seems painful, so I wouldn't want them myself. But it doesn't look bad at all, so I wonder if it's too late to use the idea in a manga?!

It's clear that the designer (Choco) did want Shion to have glasses, but it was most likely the producers who denied the idea. And I'm pretty sure the glasses were made by Kevin because Shion can perceive imaginary space (most likely due to her connection to U-DO), so he made them to prevent that ability from being a burden on her.

Post by Guest Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:42 pm

No they just decided she would stop wearing them. If you look at early concept art for Ep. II, Shion was wearing glasses. I think the concern was that the glasses weren't "mature" enough for her new design so they scrapped them.

In Ep. III she uses them to secretly film Telos (if I remember correctly). That made me think that they weren't used for vision correction but were some kind of crazy future face computers.
    Xernova
    Xernova
    Xerno Res Novae

Post by Xernova Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:52 am

I was wondering the same thing; as someone who wears glasses myself and definitely can't see very well without them anymore, when Allen stepped on Shion's glasses, the first thing which came to my mind was; "Oh, so that's why she won't be wearing glasses anymore. I guess she'll switch to contacts."

Except they never said anything about her switching to contacts in the game, so I guess you just kinda have to conclude that yourself?

But yeah, it doesn't surprise me that with the new character designs in XSII, they decided to remove her glasses. It's not the only thing they removed; there's also that little bit of hair chaos has standing up in the middle of his haircut which they removed, but at least they added that back in XSIII.

Post by Guest Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:09 am

I guess I found it confusing (and somewhat annoying) because unlike the thing with chaos's hair, it's not just the character's physical appearance that changed.  She loses one of the disabilities that foreshadows her future u-DO related health problems.  It does lead to you finding out that Kevin made the glasses for her, but since it eliminates the reason for doing so, the point gets muddled.  If she doesn't need the glasses, then making them for her doesn't seem like a big deal anymore.

Jin also wore glasses in a preliminary trailer of Episode I, but it was removed.   I wonder if originally there was going to be a reason, or they just wanted him to look like Citan.

This is the translation on Xenoverse that shows how and why she wears the glasses, according to the DS continuity:
    http://xenoverse.xenotensei.com/characters/discussion/shionmeetskevin.gif

It also gives Kevin some much-desired character establishment.
    kare_reiko
    kare_reiko
    Donator

Post by kare_reiko Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:30 am

Well, new director, new look. I never liked they removed her glasses. You can see that in Missing Year they give her glasses back again. They couldn't decide if keep her bichy looking or nerdy.

Post by Guest Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:35 am

She also had the bun described by Choco in Missing Year. It makes way more sense with her personality, but it's not a riveting look for a main character, I agree.
    Xernova
    Xernova
    Xerno Res Novae

Post by Xernova Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:01 am

\GlanceReviver wrote:This is the translation on Xenoverse that shows how and why she wears the glasses, according to the DS continuity:
    \http://xenoverse.xenotensei.com/characters/discussion/shionmeetskevin.gif

It also gives Kevin some much-desired character establishment.
    I see. I didn't remember this at all, when you said "Shion wears them to perceive things normally", I thought you just meant "to see properly". My bad (it's been so long since I last played Xenosaga). So yeah, contacts wouldn't make any difference then.

GlanceReviver wrote:Jin also wore glasses in a preliminary trailer of Episode I, but it was removed. I wonder if originally there was going to be a reason, or they just wanted him to look like Citan.
    Yeah, I know. I still have that trailer on my PC. I don't see much of a resemblance between Citan's and Jin's glasses, though;

Spoiler:
    To be honest, I'm glad Jin didn't keep those glasses; I don't think he looks very good with those. Shion's Glasses Hehesmiley At least Shion's glasses have a certain charm.

But yeah, Citan's glasses have that third-lens-thingie, no idea what that's called in English. Jin's glasses are very plain-looking, nothing special about them. If it was supposed to be a tribute to Citan, I don't think they pulled it off very well.

Post by Guest Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:32 am

It's sad that they did not get to Jin in Ep. 1. I think his Ep. 1 model looks really cool.
    Neosmith

Post by Neosmith Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:59 am

According to an interview I've read (can't remember which off the top of my head), Shion's holographic glasses were to reflect her emotional state and change size/shape in accordance with it.

Post by Guest Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:40 pm

If a remake of the series ever happened they should give her a kickass pair of hipster ray bans frames.
    oraf

Post by oraf Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:32 pm

man, Jin in glasses looks like an idiot : 0 glad that never made it.

i liked Shion I in her glasses. suited her face. I don't know about Shion II though, can't see glasses fitting that face.

Post by Guest Tue May 07, 2013 3:00 pm

Episode I : sweet glasses
    Episode II: meh (as for every characters modelling)
    Episode III: good,but not as great as episode I
    I think the classic round glasses did fit her face very well,because of her old nerd-looking appearance.

Post by Guest Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:22 am

Guys, she wore this kind of glasses. https://eyeweardock.com/shop/brand/calvin-klein-jeans/

Last edited by 204 on Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:25 am; edited 1 time in total
    katimus_prime
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:31 pm

Test
    Yikari
    Yikari

Post by Yikari Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:43 am

Stylish shutter-shades are, obviously, the only answer. Very Happy