Xeno Fannage!

General Intersection Starter Topic Go!

katimus_prime
    Administrator

General Intersection Starter Topic Go!

Post by katimus_prime on Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:17 am

This is actually a little better than the topic I started here.

My first post, under the cut.

Spoiler:
    Being planned at first as a huge series, Xenogears and Xenosaga would have been truly connected if Monolith's legal situation had been just a little bit different.  Even though this was not to be, discussion about how these two games call back to each other is pretty awesome, and I love seeing more of it because not everyone has the same ideas and theories.

As for Xenoblade, there's probably not as much room for discussion, but there are still quite a lot of callbacks to archetypes established in other games in Monolith's library.

If folks want to post about other Monolith titles here, too, I wouldn't push them away.  I think this section can also serve nicely about crossovers with at least one part Xeno game.

This one's from Temp Sibb.

katimus wrote:Because everyone likes to make Xenogears and Xenosaga kiss.

As I've said before in the general starter topic for Xenoblade, I'm not expecting a whole lot of inclusion of it due to its not-really-the-same-story-as-Xenogears-at-all, but I didn't want to exclude it, either.  

That's all I got, kids.  Sorry.  D:

[quote="Adrak"]As cliche as this might be, it works to convey how upsetting it is that the two series never really worked out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuTE-ULVpuM

katimus wrote:A little more venomous than I'm willing to admit I ever got (I actually am in the same boat with the generals in the vid this time), but still.  Very niiice!

Zeal wrote:LOL, I just love those videos *-*

Omega wrote:Wow...that's a pretty well made video!Wish the audio were dubbed so it would be even more awesome,but still GREAT!

katimus wrote:Omega, the funny part about the Hitler Videos is that they take the same audio and just do different subtitles on them for comic effect.  XD

Omega wrote:Well, a dubbed english or german with some keywords in english would be better in my opnion,besides I don't watch much of this kind of video,the last one I saw aside this one was hitler being banned from CounterStrike xD

Obs: when I put hitler with non-capital h it is not a typo...<.<

"There is no growth without birth.  Without a foothold in the past, we cannot walk toward the future.  Get thee gone, darkness!"

Re: General Intersection Starter Topic Go!

Post by Guest on Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:51 am

I always kind of wonder about the bizzaro-Xenogears that might have been, if they had made it to that "episode" in the story.  

Spoiler:
    The way XS3 ends just kinda baffles me to this day.  I always try to rationalize how Shion and co. could ever Find Lost Jerusalem and re-unite KOS-MOS (Shion could look with her heart or something I guess), but it seems more likely KOS-MOS would be found by a future civilization.  That is a depressing thought, but it would fit in nicely with a Gears-ish storyline.

I don't really get the Xenoblade direct relationship stuff.  The backstory of how the bionis/mechonis came to be is pretty clear.  

Spoiler:
    The planet and technology looks like it is Earth-based to me, not the world in Xenogears or anything from Xenosaga.
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime on Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:41 pm

Xenoblade Spoilers under the cut here:
    Spoiler:
    The planet in question in Xenoblade is most definitely Earth, especially after them going to the trouble of showing us out from Saturn that OH HEY, GUESS WHICH SOLAR SYSTEM THIS IS, GUYS!  Trying to stretch XB and XG together like that is REALLLLY really hard.  I would say that it's not possible to have the two of them in the same universe simply because they both lose Earth in two different directions.

"There is no growth without birth.  Without a foothold in the past, we cannot walk toward the future.  Get thee gone, darkness!"

Post by Guest on Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:50 pm

GlanceReviver wrote:Shion could look with her heart

I always found that scene to be really cheesy too. It makes sense when you figure out that Shion and KOS-MOS are spiritually connected, but the way they handled it in that scene was pretty silly.

Post by Guest on Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:36 pm

lol... MORE SPOILERS

Spoiler:
    What kills me is that everybody just piles into the Elsa at the end.  Why not take a major metropolis full of settlers such as the Dammerung onto such a mission?  Or at least a Durandal version 2?  Seriously the Elsa is great, but can it support independent life for that many years?  How do they even replenish their food supply?  How would they carry enough water to drink for so many years, let alone hand-wash their dishes like they do?  It's not Star Trek where you just have a magic food-making molecule-re-arranger box thing.  I am full of questions.
    Yikari

Post by Yikari on Tue May 06, 2014 12:14 pm

Well... without looking into any side materials, if Xenogears and Xenosaga happened in a single continuity:

- Deus and that whole invasion/terraforming system under his control sounds like something that other Migrant Fleet would create. You know the one - those Ormus dudes. The visual design of the mecha (cyborg?) mooks made by Deus doesn't really match what we are shown of them, if I remember right and there may have been more than enough overly religious people in this Migrant Fleet too, but that's what comes to mind first and foremost.

- This doesn't mean that the ship that was transporting Deus in the prologue is one of those folks though. Neither the crew's uniforms nor behaviour would match if you will leave them unchanged (no turns of speech name dropping 'Lord', 'God', etc, for example) - so conflict between different human factions could be shoehorned in introduced. (There is a snippet of text in Xenogears that kinda directly contradicts it, but if one wanted to make things more convoluted...)

- Techobabble found in Xenogears would indicate that the method of energy transfer between a 'mothership' and its supporting ships (read: mecha) is only possible via the use of Zohar;

Xenosaga seems to indicate that such things are standart-issue for all military fleet groups euipped to operate with mecha.

Coupled with the fact that Eldridge (a ginormously huge starship comparable to Wilhelm's private death star if I'm not mistaken and supposedly equipped with a brand-new propulsion system that could revolutionize space travel) is moving Deus from an already established facility to another - essentially performing a supply runner's job, not discovery/colonization of uncharted space - it could indicate that Xenogears's prologue happened in quite a faraway past from Xenosaga's perspective when space travel via UMN 'nodes' with travel times and cargo sizes closer to (for an example in our terms) transporting something by a truck, ship or plane instead of sending something to Mars did not exist yet.

Or maybe those people were smarter and didn't conduct terraforming systems' tests and Zohar contact experiments anywhere near any population centers. Or Zohar being the single way to operate mechs and other 'slave generators' is only such because Eldridge's self-destruction system has been effective at its job?

Second Milita is specifically mentioned to be undergoing terraforming still though - and people are already living there normally (at least within the bounds of the population center(s)). Seems like the technology is more widespread and ironed out to me. So it still looks like Xenogears' intro happened either long ago or in a Migrant Fleet cluster completely isolated from what is happening in Xenosaga.

- There is no mention of Gnosis or people disappearing on direct physical contact with Zohar. There are still anomalous things happening around it, but nothing of that sort yet. Could be interpreted as a '+1' to 'it all happens much earlier' idea. Or is it just the Existence that got trapped inside mixes things up?

- Creation of Deus (or at least attempting to hook it up with Zohar) could've been an attempt to make another U-DO, but better. I seem to remember that either the knowledge of what happened to it after humans had to run from Earth or even knowledge about the creation of U-DO overall was unavailable for a long period of time.

- People 'reincarnating' - or at least being able experience memories from their past lives - seems to be only possible because Zohar made it so somehow. It is not something that happens to humans naturally and may even not exist at all outside of the poor planet Xenogears play out on. Same goes for 'Ether' use.

Although, body-surfing was shown to be possible for another individual that survived a Zohar contact experiment - and Dr. Yuriev may have had nothing to do with Xenogears at all. (Unless the good doctor hailed from that part of humanity? And both cases ovserved in Xenogears were performed by people from the batch Deus directly worked on too...)

EDIT:

Apparently the 'main planet' is supposed to be Earth. In that case, it would've been very strange if the crew on the bridge suddnely lost their nerve and captain ordered full evacuation and self-destruction if humanity has already got the hell out of dodge by that point. (And that looks like what had prompted this last option in response. At least in my eyes.) So it places the events in the intro somewhere between excavating Zohar and that unknown anomaly that prompted everyone to run as far away from Earth as they could.

For extra drama one could say that Deus commandeered the ship at the exact same time wierd stuff on Earth started happening, so that was why no one came to investigate the loss of the ship - everybody simply forgot Eldridge in all this excitement or deemed search and rescue operation not worth the effort when survival of the rest of humanity was not certain.

The question is what would it have tried to do if it reached Earth successfully? Would it have accelerated the extinction event and made much, much less of humanity survive the incident? Or maybe it was actually trying to stop whatever the hell was happenning and would've ended up helping humans in the end?

Current date/time is Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:36 pm