Xeno Fannage!

Xenoblade X Nintendo Direct 4/24

Jintoki
    Jintoki

Xenoblade X Nintendo Direct 4/24 Empty Xenoblade X Nintendo Direct 4/24

Post by Jintoki on Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:45 pm

http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct/04-24-2015/

American Nintendo Direct tomorrow starting at 11 a.m. PT! Will we get a Western release date? I'd be happy with either that or just footage of an English build.

Xenoblade X Nintendo Direct 4/24 Empty Re: Xenoblade X Nintendo Direct 4/24

Post by RadicalDreamer on Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:33 pm

Cool ! I'm really curious about the english cast. Hopefully, it's mixed. Not sure every human character should have american accents, you know. Some are likely to have foreign accents... like Irina since her origins are obviously russian (and Maurice/Morris Chausson should have a french accent with such a name). Also, I'm hoping they get the corresponding Xenosaga and Xenoblade english VAs for the MC but I'm not betting on that... sadly (it would be awesome if the dubbing people cared about those references though).

However, as an european, it seems like we'll likely to get the game later than America. A bit annoying that some americans act as if it's payback for Europe having gotten Xenoblade before them.
    Like Europe... that "lucky" continent that never EVER got Xenogears, Xenosaga 1 and Xenosaga 3 (any european Xenogears/saga fan imported those and modified their playstations... and still nothing on the PSN by the way). But got Xenosaga 2 (the middle title of a saga... and the worst entry at that) for some reason. Xenoblade really was the first Takahashi game I ever saw localized properly in Europe... as well as ADVERTIZED ON TV (holy crap, it felt weird at the time...).

It doesn't bother me too much to get the game later (for financial reasons)... probably at the end of the year. I'm just worried about spoilers all over the place once America gets it (or not getting the game at all... but NoE wouldn't do THAT... hopefully).
    Jintoki
    Jintoki

Post by Jintoki on Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:32 pm

^I don't really who gets it first as long as everyone gets it. I'm really afraid of avoiding spoilers once the Japanese version releases.

But hey, the Direct happened:

Treehouse Session:

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

The treehouse is a bit cooler, since the actual direct is more of an English narration of one of the Japanese live streams we've already seen. Sadly, no English footage whatsoever, not dub or text.  :/  Also, Dolls were renamed to Skells for the English version. Not sure how I feel about that just yet...

Post by RadicalDreamer on Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:04 pm

@Jintoki wrote:^I don't really who gets it first as long as everyone gets it. I'm really afraid of avoiding spoilers once the Japanese version releases.

Let's say I think there would be a bigger chance to get spoiled (because of the game being more available to the west with a full english translation) if the game came out sooner either in Europe or America (I used to feel a bit sorry for americans back when Xenoblade was released in Europe... though we tried to hide spoilers as we could with "Seven" and stuff). Oh well, what's important is that everyone gets it, yes. And judging by today's Direct, seems like I may be right after all : the game will get released late 2015 (at least in America... hopefully, if we europeans have to wait, it won't be too long).

@Jintoki wrote:Also, Dolls were renamed to Skells for the English version. Not sure how I feel about that just yet...

I don't like it. Dolls seemed fine to me. I understand how it may sound weird to native english speakers. I just think it sounds prettier and more natural than Skells (maybe it will go back to Doll in the french translation... in the french version of Xenoblade, Metal Face is called Black Facia *Black Face in japanese* and Tatsu's name didn't change to Satata... oh and High Entias are called "Hayenthes"... and Egil is "Eghil"... so, yeah... maybe Doll can make it back in one of the non english european translations).
    They also changed the name of the continents. I think the new names sound better (except maybe Oblivia... but at least, it makes more sense than Valley of Oblivion for a continent).

Well, talk about a disappointing western Direct. Except for the treehouse stuff. That's always cool to see people play the game.
    Yikari
    Yikari

Post by Yikari on Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:49 am

'Skell' sounds short, sharp and rolls off the tongue easily enough. I'd say I like it better than 'Doll'. They are still gonna be 'mecha' or 'mechs' anyway. All this dance with orignal names for the concept in every franchise is just there to avoid license-born silliness.

Movement seems much improved when compared to the previous game, although the (seeming) inability to jump while in combat mode on foot looks a bit strange.
    RadicalDreamer
    RadicalDreamer

Post by RadicalDreamer on Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:26 am

@Yikari wrote:'Skell' sounds short, sharp and rolls off the tongue easily enough. I'd say I like it better than 'Doll'.
    That's the opposite for me, actually. Doll rolls off the tongue better as far as I'm concerned (but then, again, I don't think we speak the same native languages, maybe that's why... like, the Aeris/Aerith war felt always pointless to me because saying "Aerith" in french sounds exactly the same as "Aeris").
    When I say "My skell" ("Mon skell") or "Your skell" ("Ton skell")... it just sounds so weird. My brains wants to replace the word with "shell" in english... and in french... it reminds me of a slang word for penis (awkward lol).
    Yikari
    Yikari

Post by Yikari on Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:28 am

The wonders of our multi-national world, I suppose. Very Happy
    katimus_prime
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime on Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:36 pm

I'm hoping for a Euro-first release or simultaneous release myself, honestly. Very Happy I really liked the way the cast came out. It was a lot more natural of a dub than I'm used to in a video game. Don't get me wrong - I really love a lot of American voice actors, but you can point them out so easily that it's painful sometimes. Mostly I'm just tired of the US-centric view of the world most people in the US have.

I'm kinda intrigued by the word "skell" - it reminds me of skeleton first, which also makes me think of the word "skull," which is 9000x more morbid than "doll." (I was afraid of skulls when I was a little girl, heh.) I get where it's supposed to come from, but I don't see the need for the change. I know the "Metal Face" change from "Black Face" was culturally necessary because Black Face in the US refers to the really racist practice of white people making fun of black people by painting their faces actually black. >_<

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:15 pm