Xeno Fannage!

New Takahashi Interview on Xenoblade and Xenosaga

Neosmith

New Takahashi Interview on Xenoblade and Xenosaga

Post by Neosmith on Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:09 am

So, apparently, with the release of Xenoblade on Nintendo DS, a new Iwata Asks interview went up with Takahashi - and here, we get some details about Xenosaga and how the series' not-so-great reception resulted in a new approach to XenoBlade.

Here's the full link: http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/xenoblade-chronicles-3d/0/2

Here are some excerpts:

Takahashi But after that - and this is my own failing as well - I felt like...more and more, the y-axis of the story started to overtake the x-axis of the gameplay...

Iwata Ah, you felt that as a JRPG, the balance was off.

Takahashi Right. So the first thing I did when I was making Xenoblade Chronicles was to use my experiences to decide what a good balance was for the x-axis and y-axis, and structure it that way.

We began Monolith Soft in 1999, with funding from Namco23 before they became Bandai Namco. The first game we made was Xenosaga24, but because we were developing it while we were building the organization, we didn't have enough people. The programmers and the planners were all rookies. At the time, the director of Xenoblade Chronicles and Xenoblade Chronicles X25, (Koh) Kojima26, had just joined the company right after graduating college.

Interesting - here Hashi mentions how they had a lot of new faces on the team, which may have been detrimental to the game development. This is an odd claim. I was under the impression that he and a number of other veterans from Square were deeply involved in the game, not just rookies.

And, it's a bit embarrassing to admit, but the graphics engine was only completed six months before the development deadline. That's the schedule we were on.

So - and this is a bit of an excuse - but at the time, I felt that because no one on the team making Xenosaga had any experience, it might be a little too difficult for us to make our ideal game yet.

That's right. We released three games in the Xenosaga series27, but they weren't very well received. It was really mortifying. All of the young team members felt that way, not just the leaders. So we all decided, "Next time we need to make a game that players will enjoy." So that made the atmosphere during the Xenoblade Chronicles development very different compared to other games.

You might recall reading in the interviews I had dug up long ago that Xenosaga I's development time was basically a year - and I believe I stated that the rushed production schedule likely affected the quality of the game. Here, Hashi pretty much confirms it.

Anyway, please read and comment.
    Valkyrie

Re: New Takahashi Interview on Xenoblade and Xenosaga

Post by Valkyrie on Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:35 am

Hi Neosmith !  Smile

I have already posted about this some weeks ago.

Here (post #26) :
    https://xeno-underground.forumotion.com/t497p15-xenoblade-vs-xenosaga#11087

But, as said in my post, maybe it was not relevant to post this in the Blade VS Saga section...

Thanks for your post anyway !

Neosmith

Post by Neosmith on Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:07 am

Did not notice that - my bad. Still, it's new content. I wonder what AC would have to say about it.
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime on Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:11 pm

It was apparent to me from the get-go of XS that they'd lost a lot of their team from XG when they split from Square. I imagine a lot of Square expatriots didn't take too kindly to it, either, or some of them just wanting to stay with Square because it was a more sure thing.  Swapping studios is kinda a risky maneuver, especially leaving Square on the coat-tails of its success from FF7. It is apparent that Square seems to respect Monolith enough that they haven't really done anything with Gears to make money off of it except for maybe re-releasing Gears on the PSN and the one Theatrhythm track. Namco seems to pride itself on inserting KOS-MOS (and only KOS-MOS) into every fighter they think will make them money, and I kinda think that's cheap? I can understand people disagreeing with me on that there, though.

Making a whole game like that in just one year is absolutely insane. >_< For as much as XSI moved me and changed my life, nothing I read about its development came as a shock or a surprise. I am pretty impressed that they got everything they got done so quickly, and most of it bug-free.

Seeing as this is more of a Saga conversation than a Blade conversation, I'll move this topic to the Saga section. I kinda like this topic a lot better than the other topic.

As for AC, I've kinda stopped being interested in his opinions. I'm pretty sure he has 'em, and he's certainly entitled to them as I am to mine, but I think the better place to talk to him about it if you're really interested is on GameFAQs. Since I'm working 12 hour shifts until June, my will to debate things these days is very close to zilch. I'd rather just continue researching Xenogears to work on my fic.

"There is no growth without birth.  Without a foothold in the past, we cannot walk toward the future.  Get thee gone, darkness!"
    Yikari

Post by Yikari on Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:29 am

@katimus_prime wrote:...Namco seems to pride itself on inserting KOS-MOS (and only KOS-MOS) into every fighter they think will make them money, and I kinda think that's cheap?  I can understand people disagreeing with me on that there, though...

Of course! Ziggy would be a much better candidate!

(Completely missing the point. XD)
    opkij

Post by opkij on Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:31 pm

Very intresting indeed! I have heard it before but I really like the part about making monster graphic
    for YSIII, it seems so far away from creating the Xeno-games, hehe.

Current date/time is Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:04 am