Xeno Fannage!

Greetings to All Humans and Primitive Animals

Reichu
    Reichu

Greetings to All Humans and Primitive Animals Empty Greetings to All Humans and Primitive Animals

Post by Reichu on Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:51 am

I've been on a bit of a Xenogears kick lately. A couple of days ago I beat the game for the first time (after two previous attempts that were years apart), and naturally there are still many things I don't understand. Talking about it with other fans sounds like it could be fun, so here I am. I don't expect to remain in a Xeno phase for terribly long, since I know how my attention wanders, but no sense in worrying about that now.

If I can keep the inertia going, I hope to start Xenosaga soon. But not too soon. I'm still confused about Xenogears, after all. It would be silly to rush head-first into another confusing Takahashi venture immediately!

I've also been suffering from strange, insatiable cravings to work on a script overhaul patch for Xenogears, but having no programming ability and limited Japanese ability, it is clearly not something I can do alone. I suppose part of me is hoping that I might find an outlet for these urges here.

Lastly, I read the FAQ and I still can't figure out what the deal with avatars is... Should I feel dumb?

Last edited by Reichu on Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:06 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Heinous typo.)
    katimus_prime
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Greetings to All Humans and Primitive Animals Empty Re: Greetings to All Humans and Primitive Animals

Post by katimus_prime on Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:07 am

Heydere!
    Once again, welcome!

I've been feeling the Gears thing something fierce lately myself, since I'm living out a 15-year-old fantasy of writing a fanfic about Ramsus that I've been putting off writing since 11th grade.  I hope you find an outlet here!  I've been wondering at if there's anyone who could maybe crack the game's code open and sift through the metadata to find bits and pieces of plans to put Ramsus in the player character party, but I don't know the first thing about how to do that, either.  Here's hoping, though! (I'm a veteran of Gears, Saga and Blade, all played in order, m'self! We're a little lax with marking for spoilers for all the games, though, so watch your step!)

As for the Avatars, they're sneakily hidden under a tab under Profile, and here's the error you get if something's not to scale when you try to upload it: Only one image can be displayed at a time, its width cannot exceed 150 pixels, the height cannot exceed 200 pixels, and the file size cannot be higher than 64 KB.  (Also, since my job at work is documentation, here's a few QA-grade bug screenshots 1 - 2)  If you're having a different problem altogether, you can link me the image and I can try to reformat it until it works via the admin panel.

JerriLeah7
    Little Master

Greetings to All Humans and Primitive Animals Empty Re: Greetings to All Humans and Primitive Animals

Post by JerriLeah7 on Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:56 am

Welcome, welcome!! ^.^ So happy to have you here.

Post by Yikari on Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:16 am

Welcome!

Feel free to start up any discussion you feel the need for and we'll all contribute as much as we can (although probably not instantly). Or necro one of the old ones, for that matter - there is no rule against such in this forum. Just, as katimus noted above, make sure to note if you don't want games or parts of them such and such spoiled in advance if you want to make sure not to get some. Oh, and some threads have unmarked late-game spoilers in them too, so be careful on that part also.
    stitchedmoon
    stitchedmoon

Post by stitchedmoon on Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:22 am

Welcome, Reichu! Hope you have a great time here! :3

Reichu

Post by Reichu on Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:35 am

Thanks for the welcome, all!

I don't mind spoilers for the most part, so that won't be a problem. I've been merrily necromancing and will probably start some zany threads of my own in due time.

I'm glad XU exists and provides a friendlier alternative to GameFAQs' board. The current state of online Xenogears fandom seems to be fairly sad. I wasn't around to watch it all crash down over the years, but much is evident from my recent wanderings: so many broken links, forum after forum shut down without even archives standing, so many fans vanished into the ether. People think that once it's on the Internet, it's there forever. Less true than they know.

On that note, I'm rather curious about this page. I believe that it was hosted on the previous incarnation of XU, correct? Does anyone know what happened to the discussions that produced the translation page, or to the people who contributed to it?

katimus: I suppose if anyone would be able to help with such hackery, it would be the people who did the "Xenogears 2.0" patch. I'll probably have to be proactive and contact someone from that group myself, while steeling myself for disappointment.

Good taste, by the way! Ramsus is a wonderful character. A bit... melodramatic at times, but so dark and pathetic and lovable. Have you discussed your fanfic ideas anywhere? I'd enjoy reading about them.

(DOH! I do feel dumb for not noticing the Avatar tab! Thank you. Very Happy )
    katimus_prime
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime on Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:59 pm

@Reichu wrote:On that note, I'm rather curious about this page. I believe that it was hosted on the previous incarnation of XU, correct? Does anyone know what happened to the discussions that produced the translation page, or to the people who contributed to it?

katimus: I suppose if anyone would be able to help with such hackery, it would be the people who did the "Xenogears 2.0" patch. I'll probably have to be proactive and contact someone from that group myself, while steeling myself for disappointment.

Good taste, by the way! Ramsus is a wonderful character. A bit... melodramatic at times, but so dark and pathetic and lovable. Have you discussed your fanfic ideas anywhere? I'd enjoy reading about them.

(DOH! I do feel dumb for not noticing the Avatar tab! Thank you.  Very Happy )

Hey Reichu! Actually, XenoTensei was a rather highly celebrated info site dedicated to Shin Megami Tensei and Xenogears/saga hosted by people unaffiliated with XU. It was one of the longest-standing Xeno sites before technical troubles overtook it I wanna say, about 2 years ago? Maybe closer to a year and 3/4? Discussions about that page were probably on their dedicated forums, but I never really ventured onto that part of their board while it was up, so I don't really know what was being talked about. I do think that the person who wrote most of the study guide, who goes by A.C., (GameFAQs user Yuriev), wrote that with the assistance of one or more of the people who hung out on XenoTen that happened to be translators.

Oh wow, I did not know of this Xenogears 2.0 thing. I hope you're able to find stuff on it! I'd like to know if anything is found.

Haha, thank you! Fans of Ramsus seem to be few and far between, and I tend to specialize in liking the unlikeable, so I appreciate the compliment. I played Xenogears for the first time when I was 17, so I kinda fell for him because I saw a lot of my own insecurities echoed back in his story and just kinda haven't been able to let go ever since. One of the things about the Xeno series is that, with each one, there seems to be certain parts of certain characters exported into the next game, so I've been following the series, looking for where they're burying him next (there's a lot of extremely overt references to him in at least two characters in Xenosaga). As for my fanfic, I've been muttering about it on my tumblr, but not in a very well-organized way. I should probably start a topic here about it. XD

Yeah, there's a bunch of things about the current interface that are sub-optimal. I've been looking to get a layout switcher in, but I haven't really been able to focus on that lately between my full time job, my gnatlike attention span, and fanficish tendencies, but I'm happy to provide tutorials on it to anyone interested.

Arylett Charnoa

Post by Arylett Charnoa on Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:45 pm

Howdy! I played Xenogears/Xenosaga extremely recently, and I must say that I was sad to find out that the fandom is kind of petered out on these as well. But I do like it here. Honestly, it's the most friendly forum I've ever joined and the only place where I don't feel like an idiot whenever I post. So even if it's kind of small and humble, it's the people that count most of all. I'm always happy to see new people, because that means this place can grow a little!

Xenogears was pretty confusing to me too. When I played it, my brain broke wide open. I had never seen anything like it until I played Xenosaga. It's such a crazy ass story, but I love it as well, even though I'm more on a Xenosaga kick right now. When I finished playing it, I wanted to overhaul the script as well because God was I unsatisfied by the way Disc 2 was so ridiculously rushed. So I can agree entirely with that desire. I wanted to just kind of rewrite parts of the story and post it online (as I have no coding knowledge whatsoever and learning it would break my brain open), which is something I might still do later, but I don't have much time on that as I'm focusing more on my Xenosaga projects.

Still, I hope you can satiate some of your cravings here by blathering about nutso Xenothings. Have an epic awesome time.

Shion 1   Deviantart | Twitter   Miyuki
    Valkyrie
    Valkyrie

Post by Valkyrie on Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:56 pm

Hey hey Reichu welcome among us ! cheers cheers

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:20 pm