Xeno Fannage!

Another Afternoon? Another Discovery.

shinuzuki
    shinuzuki

Another Afternoon? Another Discovery. Empty Another Afternoon? Another Discovery.

Post by shinuzuki on Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:04 am

First Jerusalem Colony. 1600 hours.

(Color coded Shin and Leb for easier reading - if it's inconvenient, I'll remove it xD)

"Okay, take care and enjoy your stay at First Jerusalem!"

Shin took a bow and watched as the new citizen walked eagerly into the colony. It's always nice to see people happy every now and then, hmm? she thought. "Hey, Leb, can you help me file these please?"

She punched at her terminal a few times before a noticeable bloop! rang at the pink haired Realian's one.

"Of course," he replied, dragging the files here and there to their respective place before shutting it down. "I think that's all we have scheduled for today."

He turned and gave a gentle smile, as most Realians would.

Desperate to hide her blush, she kicked back against her chair, threw her arms behind her head, and yawned loudly. "Well, that's great - seeing all these people still make me nervous. Sometimes I feel like they're a little too eager to get in, you know?"

She stared up into the twilit sky, a little too engrossed into her own thoughts.

Leb chuckled. "At least it's a good thing registrations are pretty straightforward. Although, if someone higher up caught you sitting like that, I don't know if that'd be easy to get out of."

"Ehh, higher ups only come around a couple times in forever - what could happen?" she uttered coyly as she closed her eyes.

Last edited by 195 on Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Another Afternoon? Another Discovery. Empty Re: Another Afternoon? Another Discovery.

Post by Arylett Charnoa on Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:15 pm

Meanwhile, above First Jerusalem on its satellite colony...

A curly-haired girl furrowed her brow silently at a long conference table. Before her, several other Junior Officers were seated, as well as the Chief of Liaisons. Her ears were only focusing to hear what her orders for the day would be. Everything else was just noise to her. Luckily, her co-workers knew that by now... even those new hires they had gotten had come to learn that now, as they made their comments amongst themselves about their assignments.

"...Now Alfonse, you will be liaisoning with Point 25B, the western sector..."

Alfonse held up an arm in victory, giving a hive-five to a nearby other Liaison Agent. Other people were such bizarre creatures to her.

"As for you, Arylett, my darling little gem... well, I'm sorry to disappoint you, but we don't really have a lot for you to do today. The recent series of hires have to get their feet wet, and we can't have one person doing all of the load like that. So what you'll be doing will be relatively simple. Liaison with the Citizens Registration Post of Point 26A, southern sector. You'll be observing them all day. Specifically, you have to confirm the data of the number of citizens registering, and ensure that everything is up to procedure. The standard work," the Chief uttered disappointingly, as the others around the table muttered.

"Ha! Miss Perfect here'll be pretty bored, huh?"

Alfonse commented. "What's it like to be doing what the rest of us are doing?"

"Uh... it's... all right, I suppose," Arylett responded drolly, wanting to get out of there already. She disliked their comments about her everytime she was assigned something during a meeting. It always made her routine sputter, because she never knew how to respond to it.

Soon after that, the meeting was over, and she made her way mindlessly down to the planet. It was a trip she had taken so many times that she was rather inattentive to it. And before she knew it, she was at Point 26A, or whatever it was called. She never really memorized all the code names and numbers of the areas on First Jerusalem, because it was really as simple as inputting them into a computer that largely did everything for her.

The official-looking young woman made her way up to the Citizen's Registration Terminal, where she observed another younger woman in a rather lazy pose. Hmm. Certainly not a very good first impression for this one. But then again, they were always kind of casual like that. As for the male, she didn't really have any thoughts on him one way or the other. According to the file she had been given, he was some sort of Realian who was there to help with psychological issues. If he was anything like the first Realian she met, then maybe there wouldn't be many problems there.

"Hello there. You're Shin Katriel-Agnola and... Caleb Agnola, yes?"

She didn't wait for them to respond, wanting to get to the point quickly. "I'm Arylett Charnoa, Junior Liasons Agent, and I've come here for an inspection. May I please see your records of how many citizens have registered within the past quarter?"

Her tone was smooth and professional as always, sounding as though she had said this many times.

(Leb's text is difficult to read on my layout. Could you try a darker color?)

Shion 1   Deviantart | Twitter   Miyuki
    shinuzuki
    shinuzuki

Another Afternoon? Another Discovery. Empty Re: Another Afternoon? Another Discovery.

Post by shinuzuki on Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:45 pm

Hello there.

Shin let out a shriek before dropping from her chair, cursing under her teeth before patting herself off as quickly as she could and maintained her usual greeting position. "Uhh, Hello--"

"Good afternoon, Ms. Charnoa!"

Caleb, already out of his seat to greet the liaison, handed Arylett a small, simple device. "This device contains all the citizens registered since the agents' last visit; including their current occupations and anything they may have discovered during their residence."

He presented the typical Realian smile, soft and simple.

Dammit, he's always on top of things! Why didn't he warn me abou-- Shin paused, staring at the concrete before pouting off to the side. Right... This girl's pretty smooth, though. Unlike the others I've met, this one seems like she''s done this a thousand times over.

(How's that, Ary?)

Post by Arylett Charnoa on Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:07 pm

"Thank you," she nodded at the Realian, appreciating how he got to the point, and pressed a button on the device around her neck. It projected a screen which displayed the text "Syncing..."

After several moments, the screen started to display many facts and figures which she glanced over briefly. She then slid out a stylus from a slot in the device around her neck and held it above the screen, which cleared away all of the information.

"From what I'm seeing here, not much is out of the ordinary thus far. But I'll have to do a detailed analysis to be sure. That's for later though. Right now, I want you to show me around. Give me a tour. I'm stationed here all day, so I have to report every detail I see," Her tone still stayed at that steady official pace, as she held the stylus above the device ready to write.

(It's all good. :3)

shinuzuki
    shinuzuki

Post by shinuzuki on Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:53 am

"Certainly!" Shin jumped and pumped her fists furtively before punching a several things in her terminal. "Three going in," She mumbled, and walked towards the open passage into the colony. I can't wait to see what excavation has today~ "Let's see... first, there's the terminal that either leads to the Residential area, or the Excavation area. There's some food and snacks there, if you'd like anything. We can probably head towards Excavation and see if they have anything to show you before you can relax at the Residential parks, perhaps."

She and Leb bowed and gestured a welcome to Arylett. If there was anything Shin was enthusiastic about, it was exploring the sights on what used to be a fully occupied planet. Abandoned buildings and strange technology always seemed like an adventure to her.

(I'm glad it's better now!~)

Post by Arylett Charnoa on Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:33 pm

She merely watched silently as Shin made some hyperactive movements, and did not speak until she was addressed.

"Let's go to Excavation. I'm not really hungry right now," the young woman spoke plainly she made her way through the open passage and began heading in the completely wrong direction, before pausing uncertainly and blushing slightly. This as her first display of stupidity, she noted. No trip down to the surface was complete without them. But it was a common one. After all, her sense of direction was one of the worst there was.

"Um... which way is it? It'd be nice if we could get there quickly. I... don't want to get off schedule now."

shinuzuki
    shinuzuki

Post by shinuzuki on Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:59 pm

"Sure thing." Shin replied. Darn... A snack sounds good right about now. She thought as she watched Arylett go the opposite direction of where Excavation was. She and Leb smiled at her humanly mistake, and gestured her towards the correct direction. "Right this way, Miss Charnoa."

Leb walked ahead, leading the girls towards their destination as Shin followed behind. Hehe I guess even smooth girl needs a break every now and then. Maybe she'll enjoy what Excavation Team has this time around~ Shin stretched before resting her arms behind her head, a little more relaxed with the higher up's presence.

Post by Arylett Charnoa on Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:23 pm

"O-oh. Sorry. Heh..." She followed Leb towards the Excavation Area, taking in the sights of the rather musty dirt and ruins, and in some cases, a legitimately interesting sight of random bits of unearthed technology. Still, Arylett figured she'd get her least favorite part out of the way first. Although new discoveries were fascinating, she wasn't quite a fan of digging it up. In other words - the Excavation itself. As she surveyed the area, she pressed a button her glasses, and they began to record the sights before her in the form of a video.

"I'm recording all of this now. Now... give me highlights. Any rare objects of note that have been found in the area?" She surveyed all of the workers rather briskly, not seeing anyone who she really recognized as being in charge. But if there was someone who was in charge, they could give her more detailed statistics on the Excavation Area.

shinuzuki
    shinuzuki

Post by shinuzuki on Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:57 pm

"Hmm well, they have strange black boxes with a glass screen on one side, and they unearthed quite a bit of really antique weaponry, too."

Shin said, thinking to herself of what may appeal to Arylett.
    "According to my database, those black boxes were called televisions."

"Wait... those are TVs?!"

Leb chuckled and just as he took a breath to explain how she overlooked the info (as per usual), large groups of people around the trio were rushing towards the larger buildings. Many hushed words and whispers followed, but most were too muffled or breathy for Shin to hear. She turned towards Leb, hoping he could explain what she missed.
    "They...found something?"

"I'm curious... Well! Shall we Miss Charnoa? It may be a bit crowded, but this looks big."

Post by Arylett Charnoa on Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:31 am

(Ah, I'm sorry. But on this new layout, your text is really hard to read now. @_@)

"A... glass screen? On a... television?" She furrowed her brow in confusion. "How could you do anything with a glass screen? How did the interface feel like on it? Must've felt really uncomfortable." The thought of this glass screen was thoroughly baffling to her, so much so that she momentarily broke that composure of hers just to question its existence.

But before she could, there appeared to have been some sort of ruckus. She nodded in response to Leb and immediately rushed forth, pushing herself rather violently through the crowds. Being stuck in a fence of people for even a second was vastly unpleasant to her. When she reached the site, she witnessed a crowd of on-lookers gathered around in a circle... around... something. Something she couldn't quite make out.
    shinuzuki
    shinuzuki

Post by shinuzuki on Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:28 pm

(I'm so sorry @@ I'll get that fixed soon!!)

Shin and Leb followed closely before being stuck by a wall of people. Shin tried to jump and push to get a better look at the center of attention, but could only make out a dirty white and blue object. The crowd slowed to a hush as footsteps were heard, slowly heading towards it. It must be the head of Excavation... Shin thought. He muttered with his team before raising his voice. "Vector Industries?! This is a Vector product? What is it doing here?"
    What the hell? Vector died years ago! They can't possibly be back... can they? Shin bit her thumb, thinking hard as the crowd around her began speculating and theory-crafting on the situation.
    "Can it be...?" Leb whispered, attempting to communicate with the girls. "But... something's not right... I'm trying to scan it, but it keeps changing every time."
    Shin looked curiously at him. "Wait... Leb, does that mean it's still active? But how can that be when it's not even attached to anything?"
    "I'm not sure... I've only heard so much about Vector and its supposed 'secret weapon against the Gnosis.' This is only a part of her though..."
    "Her...?" Shin veered her eyes back to the Vector relic, "She must've been one OP lady..."

Post by Lunaris on Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:44 pm

Standing over the strange device was a tall and powerful looking woman with red hair and bright green eyes. She spoke to the Excavation Director with a strong voice, "We found this embedded in the ruins underground. We aren't sure how it got so deep beneath the surface, but Commander Adamantine is scanning for any clues in the area."

"Good job, Hazel. I imagine you and Jerico will be examining this thing, then?"

Hazel sighed, and gave a look of great displeasure,. "I believe so. But we'll wait til the Commander returns before starting anything."

Just moments after, the commander appeared from the interior of the buildings ruins. He walked alongside the rest of his team and they walked towards the Director and spoke to him.

"Good, you're here already. But why is there such a huge crowd?"

Hazel replied, "You can blame this idiot over here." She motioned towards Jerico, who was sitting on a piece of rubble, looking like a child placed on 'time-out'. "As usual, he couldn't be bothered to attempt subtlety when calling the director over"

"Damnit, Jerico!" Exclaimed Lunaris, "Ugh... well, it doesn't matter. We'll need the both of you to work together to analyze this thing. I would recommend contacting Scientia Weapons Lead Engineer, Miyuki. It is very likely she'll know what we are dealing with here. I couldn't find anything else down below, so I'd like you to get on that right away."

Hazel picked up the device and replied, "Yes, we'll get done as soon as possible. Come on, Jerico!"

He jumped up from his rubble chair and followed, "Roger, hazel! See you later, Luni!" He waved at Lunaris and the pair of them proceeded to make their way back to headquarters.
    Arylett Charnoa
    Arylett Charnoa

Post by Arylett Charnoa on Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:07 pm

Arylett listened to the conversation of Shin and Leb with interest, not feeling a need to interject as she mostly needed to take in the situation. It was intriguing... but something that would not mean any good. Vector technology being found in lieu of relics? Her superiors would not react well to this... clearly, this wasn't in the script. It wasn't in the script at all and she had no idea how to react.

In the midst of her contemplation, her attention was quickly drawn to a familiar voice... the Commander had arrived. One she had spoken to several times in the past. Oh and his crew was here too! She hadn't noticed them before, but she did chuckle somewhat at Jerico's actions. He was always a bit of a ditz from what she had experienced. Thankfully, they were leaving... so that she could speak to Mr. Adamantine alone.

"If you'll excuse me... I have to speak to the Commander. This find... it's important that I know as much about it as possible," she addressed Shin and Leb,in attempts to regain her composure, as she walked towards Mr. Adamantine and immediately began to get to the point.

"What are the results of your preliminary examination of the area? Have you gotten any... pertinent information about the object yet? Is it really a Vector industries product? Please tell me... I need to know a bit more before I contact headquarters."

Yikari
    Yikari

Post by Yikari on Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:56 pm

Former colonial heavy transport 'White Bear'.

First Jerusalem orbit.

Sometime in wee hours of a sunday morning...?

XXX

...I repeat: test activation of emergency smoke venting system in stairwell B-16 will commence in one minute. All maintenance personnel are to stay clear of...

It took longer for Allen's mind to register the gist of the announcement than it probably should have, but, considering the amount of overtime he just clocked in, reaction time of fourteen seconds wasn't half-bad, really.

Checking if his tools were still affixed to his harness, climbing to the nearest landing, attaching the suit's tether to the closest handrail via a spring hook and assuming prone position didn't take much after that.

If somebody asked Allen on his last day of being a student of the most prestigious university of Bormeo what he envisioned himself doing at about forty years of age, 'clinging to metal floor on a refurbished ore hauler orbiting (what is suspected to be) humanity's cradle while returning home from a thirty-six hours work shift of hunting faulty soldering in a face recognition system' probably wouldn't be that high on the list, all things considered.

XXX

While being inside what was, essentially, an aerodynamic tunnel with added risk of getting a faceful of random crap left lying around by overworked repair crews struggling to meet the deadline was far from completely safe, sealed environmental suit or not, Allen quickly grew bored of the process and almost nodded off right there. He chalked it up to his chronic lack of sleep for the last... week? Month?

Ah, it didn't matter. What mattered was getting back home while he still could place one foot in front of the other. Allen nodded to himself. Keeping one's priorities straight in the fugue state of /crunch time/ was extremely important.

Fortunately, the test was over and done with before he had to bite the inside of his cheek to stay awake. That would've been unpleasant.

Even more fortunate, however, was his familiarity with the former ship's layout. Working too long in the exact same place usually bred boredom - which often led to negligence and workplace injuries, yes - but it also allowed one to navigate all these winding corridors and confusing ladders on autopilot much easier.

Normally, Allen would've taken the opportunity to memorize the rare sights of the (now retired from service) vessel class that made post-collapse reconnection of remote systems possible in such record time.

Or thought about how the former workhorse of the 'UMN restoration initiative' was now destined to spend the rest of its spaceship days as 'First Jerusalem colony orbital residential block #926'.

Or at least noted how increasingly hectic the already quite eccentric collection of individuals he happened to work with on this project looked less than a week before the renovation was due (Allen was pretty sure the device the deratization team hurriedly carried by him right then resembled a military-grade flamethrower closer than anything meant to combat a vermin infestation according to safety regulations).

But that would require him to be fully awake and functional. Which Allen wasn't. And so he soldiered on.

XXX

'Hey there, Al! You got dragged on this graveyard shift too, huh?'

Allen did meet one of the co-workers he couldn't just (approximately) politely nod and wave his way around before he could reach the exit point and finally clock out.

'Blaugrrrh'

His speech center didn't want to cooperate though.

'What?'

Whatever Allen had to say about Lenny's work ethic, the way the guy managed to watch the recording of the local league's latest zero-g rugby match, try to decipher Allen's attempts at verbal communication and unscrew the ceiling access panel with speed and precision rivaling that of an automatic conveyor assembler at the same time was nothing short of mesmerizing. If one needed to get to some electronic contraption's guts fast, Lenny Hudson was definitely the man for the job.

'...that drat foreman of ours! Making such fine gentlemen as ourselves work to the bone, awkward sod. Who cares if some eggheads dug some kinda important thingumajig or another out of the dirt planetside and sent for more of their folks to arrive ahead of schedule, you can't just hurry up laying new power lines like that! That'll just make for a mighty juicy short-circuit at the first snotty joint...'

Lenny also couldn't shut up to save his life even at the best of times, so Allen abandoned trying to push a coherent reply through the deluge of words and used hand gestures to get his point across instead.

Allen's most annoying co-worker (at that time) then did something he had yet to see the man do: Lenny stopped doing everything, turned around as fully as he could and concentrated all attention on one subject completely.

'You mean to say you should've been asleep fourteen hours ago?'

Allen nodded.

Lenny assumed as sympathetic pose as his position of being wedged in between two walls and the ceiling, clad in a fully sealed softsuit and elbow-deep in some transformer would allow.

'You go and grab some shut-eye right now, mate. You are about the only reason we here in electrical are not behind on at least something, so don't get yourself whacked by tumbling down some stairs now, you hear me?'

That was... unexpectedly considerate of the man, given Allen's experience so far. He resolved to revise his opinion of Lenny sometime soon and continued his track.

XXX

Decontamination chamber at the point where modules with unconfirmed atmosphere composition ended and actual (almost) livable space began seemed downright inviting at this point. Harsh lighting, bright blinking lights and abrupt harsh sound tones that accompanied its work also made staying awake easier.

Being able to finally unseal the suit's helmet and breathe in something else than his own stale sweat made wonders for his ability to think too.

'Mister Allen Ridgeley! Back from your shift, I see!'

Mister Helper's somewhat high-pitched and jerky mode of speech that paused to emphasise every other word could be grating at times and often served to send his mind spinning on tangents about optimizing programming of the speech synthesizer its creators used to make the most use of the platform's limitations, Allen had to admit.

'Let me help you with that equipment of yours!'

Its visual design being more reminiscent of a child's toy than an unholy amalgamation of a forklift and a baker's dozen manipulator arms it actually was, carefully calculated 'carefree' body language of all the limbs at its disposal, the eye-searing hot-pink and neon orange tiger stripe paintjob and generally upbeat and helpful disposition rarely failed to make him smile though.

Properly taking off the suit and depositing all other equipment Allen had on him to the storage took some effort, but with the help of Mister Helper's helping hands the task was accomplished smoothly and in short order.

'Every item seems to be in order. Diligent as ever, Mister Ridgeley!'

'I try.'

Oh, he could talk now. Progress!

'What should I tell Chief Williams about section 97-238?'

'Section 97-238 is a-ok.'

'Section 97-238 is a-ok! Roger that!'

Mister Helper's voice had somehow sounded even more cheerful than usual at that statement. It even mimed the universal 'ok' handsign as best as its four-digit manipulators (all of them) would allow.

'I am sending word to the logistics manager now! You only need to sign the required form at the office and you will be home free!'

Allen could practically smell the freedom to fall asleep at any time now.

XXX

He could also smell (somewhat) freshly-brewed black tea as he approached the corner that served as 'logistics manager's office' in this pandemonium. That could only mean one thing.

'Miss Donovan!'

And it was indeed one miss Clara Donovan without any room for doubt.

For all that most realians were grown in (deliberately made to be) similar batches and groomed to be a productive, law-abiding member of society in general and the profession they were slated for in particular, they were still based on your run-of-the-mill humans, and thus had a tendency to develop such curious thing as personal taste sooner or later.

'Mister Ridgeley. Notification from the storage room went through. Please place your signature in the highlighted space.'

True to her words, the relevant part of the document displayed on the handheld she slid towards him across the desk lit up from the rest. Although the form in question was completely filled out already, Allen still took his time to give it a thorough read several times to make sure he knew what exactly he was signing.

Not that either the establishment he was currently working for or Clara personally gave him any reason to do so, but Allen preferred to double-check just in case. If the clerk felt anything about some technician going with a tight comb over a piece of work she just finished right in front of her, Clara didn't show it.

Allen didn't find anything wrong with the form in the end (which didn't say much, considering his current mental state) and signed it after what probably was a completely needless waste of time.  

'Can I get some of the tea you are having?'

Wordlessly, in one precise, uninterrupted motion, the handheld disappeared somewhere below the desk's surface and was replaced with a five-liter thermos still half-full with the fragrant brew. Allen put a thermocup of his own near it and proceeded to watch how it was filled up to just slightly below the brim. Without spilling a single drop. Or Clara taking her eyes off several monitors' worth of information feeds, for that matter.

'Thank you.'

It wasn't the first time he was asking. Nor did Clara refuse this request of his yet. But raiding your co-workers' tea supply without asking? That was just rude.

'Not at all.'

Besides, if the woman's scarce amount of visible skin was anything to go by, in addition to whatever secretarial suite she ought to have had installed in order to effectively process the amount of information she routinely had to work with, Clara also sported several subdermal armor layers and some heavy duty cranium reinforcement. And was never seen far away from a suitcase roomy enough to accomodate a fully loaded light machinegun either. So Allen assumed the emergency reserve of this precious liquid wasn't going anywhere without her say-so anyway.

He wasn't the only employee with enough years under his belt to recognize their security team member onsite, but, as far as he could tell, he was the only one to feel noticeably calmer in close vicinity to a heavily armed individual. Allen chalked it up to the very interesting life he led.

'I'll be going.'

He firmely closed the lid on his cup. Some fresh hot tea would be needed if he was to brave the commute back to home.

'Have a nice day.'

Ah, rest, sweet rest. He was going to spend his sunday home and he was going to sleep right through it. Might've seemed simple to anyone else, but, at that precise moment, it was all one Allen Ridgeley could dream of.

XXX

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:08 pm