Xeno Fannage!

how can i color this good?

Shizukesa

how can i color this good?

Post by Shizukesa on Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:49 am

how can i color this good? please link me to anything to make my art look this realistic. i have gimp.
    http://skaera.deviantart.com/art/Maleficent-458379166#comments

Re: how can i color this good?

Post by katimus_prime on Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:32 pm

The best thing about GIMP is that there are a metric ton of tutorials and references. Fire is awesome. Here's a fire tutorial - http://youtu.be/KKQXHQzV5p8

"There is no growth without birth.  Without a foothold in the past, we cannot walk toward the future.  Get thee gone, darkness!"
    Shizukesa

Post by Shizukesa on Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:55 pm

your art is always amazing how are you so good at it? what program do u use &

how do you do all that? tell me everything im seriously looking to improove.

Post by Guest on Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:58 am

Kat's right about the tutorials and references, you can pick up a lot just by following along and messing with things yourself! That's really what learning is all about. Picking a software though is the first step, GIMP is good but I've never used it much myself. Lots of people use Photoshop, Paint Tool SAI, and GIMP of course. Though, some artists will use multiple softwares (including 3d modeling programs) to work.

Best advice I can give you though, is familiarize yourself with your program (and tablet if you're using one). Practice, practice, practice, and don't give up. It may take some time but you'll get there if you keep at it!

Here's a link though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdCTYmSxnmw
    I'd look up some speed paintings like this one too. This one not only lists the software used but you can watch how the artist works from start to finish.
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime on Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:24 pm

^///^  Aaah, thank you for the compliment!!

Part of what keeps me getting better is that I never actually think my art is all that good.  I can always improve, so I am always drawing if I can help it, even if it is dumb, shippery sketches.  Draw every day, even if it doesn't turn out well.  Since the internet is one big self-publishing circle these days, you're not under any pressure but your own to show other people things.  Think about what you want your style to look like, think about the people you admire, and how you can incorporate their aesthetic into your drawing style.  There are some anatomical fundamentals to think of, though.  

One of the books that was my go-to for a while was Burne Hogarth's Dynamic Anatomy - http://www.amazon.com/Dynamic-Anatomy-Revised-Expanded-Edition/dp/0823015521 Even though I don't share Mr. Hogarth's aesthetic as far as realistic faces goes, it is important that the body in an anime/animation/comic style be based in something realistic to build up the consistency of your figures.  A lot of my art teachers tried to tell me to get rid of my anime style, because of this, that or the other reason, because underneath, a lot of art that gets popular and is praised is built on a strong foundation.  I don't think you need to give up an anime style to learn foundations, but it does need to be less of a focus as you learn.  The best way to learn figures is to do a figure drawing class, though.  I've spent way too much time in my head, and my figures are kind of slipping lately.  

I know sometimes it's easy to feel discouraged when you work really hard on something and it doesn't turn out right, but that's part of what powers the drive to improve.  For the longest time, I purposefully didn't spend time on individual pieces because spending a lot of time on something didn't produce anything that higher quality, but while I was in that mode, I lost my patience and never learned proper techniques for truly finishing things.  You'll notice that a lot of what I post on DA and Tumblr if you watch it are just sketches and WIPs.  I don't think I've actually finished anything for at least 2 years?  I'm trying to improve on that.

Either way, HVV, best of luck!  :3

"There is no growth without birth.  Without a foothold in the past, we cannot walk toward the future.  Get thee gone, darkness!"
    Shizukesa

Post by Shizukesa on Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:59 pm

thanks for helping &

yes your art is always way better than mine. im really interested in my own kind of realistic ive been looking at a bands cd art style from cradle of filth, mine will be much less provokative etc, more apporpriate etc, but the art its self looks amazing its so real looking id swear its a photographed pic.

Current date/time is Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:14 pm