Xeno Fannage!

PerfectWorks Discussion

katimus_prime
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

PerfectWorks Discussion Empty PerfectWorks Discussion

Post by katimus_prime on Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:35 pm

Hey everyone!
    I've been nosing around the Flickr PerfectWorks Scanslations by Jesus Tamayo/UltimateGraphics lately, and wondered if anyone wanted to discuss them.  Here's the links if people are interested!

Flickr - https://www.flickr.com/photos/29956195@N08/sets/72157616593453778
    G+ - https://plus.google.com/photos/115724793449719134521/albums/5430961673531546977?banner=pwa&sort=1

Currently, I'm kinda fascinated to know more about Emperor Cain because of his connection to Ramsus.  There's a couple of pages about it, but as always, I just want to know more. I really really wish for a Xenogears Episode II.  Even if it weren't a video game, I want to know.  This hope is probably futile because of how much of Xenogears' guts got recycled into Xenosaga, but that hope exists nonetheless.  I wonder what it would have meant to Ramsus to actually have a real, meaningful relationship with Emperor Cain, too.  I'm not exactly talking about a romantic relationship, but I always just seem to be wishing for someone to kind of glue Ramsus back together.  

Last edited by katimus_prime on Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

Yikari

PerfectWorks Discussion Empty Re: PerfectWorks Discussion

Post by Yikari on Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:05 am

While I believe that Xenogears is (relatively) much more complete than Xenosaga - and ain't that funny with how one fits into two CD and the other into six DVD - there are some things I would like to know more about, yes.

I have yet to delve into this font of information properly, but from what I can see by skimming the pages, Perfect Works looks like about the best supplementary material compilation I've seen.

The most obvious topics of inquiry would be the party members that didn't get their fair share of character arcs: Rico and Emeralda (I'm gonna pretend Chu-Chu didn't exist here).

Speaking of Ramsus, I think that him being a fetus mutated by mad science when he heard that conversation and got dumped into trash compactor is kinda over the top. Yes, Xenogears does not shy away from being ridiculously over the top more than once, but that's pushing it. I am much more inclined to believe that he was supposed to be a child of some years at that time, maybe a teen, but that fateful chair got to him as well. Thus personal interaction with the Emperor could happen as well, adding some drama to one of them killing each other.
    RadicalDreamer
    RadicalDreamer

Post by RadicalDreamer on Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:09 pm

@Yikari wrote:Speaking of Ramsus, I think that him being a fetus mutated by mad science when he heard that conversation and got dumped into trash compactor is kinda over the top.
    Ah. I used to think like that too. I thought "What ? He got dumped as a fetus and crawled on his tiny fetus legs and... What !?"

But actually... I love his origin story. It's SUPER CREEPY. Ramsus was more nightmare fuel material than a simple fetus with crushed dreams.

The way he killed the boy to merge with him like a parasite (I keep imagining facehugging á la Alien). And then... what did he do ? How did the parents react ? Did he kill them eventually, afraid to be discovered as what he really was (my opinion is that he did kill them but passed their death as an accident... and then asked to enter Jugend) ? And to think that he probably hid all of this to his friends. Trying to appear to the world as a winner, as a leader...

Ramsus was treated unfairly and needed someone to put him back together, yes. And maybe the Emperor is an appealing choice because Ramsus is his clone. But I don't think it was possible (did the emperor even know he was cloned? You might say that he would just need to look at Ramsus to know... but it is said in PW that merging with the boy altered his appearance... and I think it would have served Miang and Krelian's plan for Cain to stay clueless)... and I think Ramsus is a much more compelling character as a loner with ambition and pretty dark and creepy secrets. During the story at least. Of course, after the game, I'm sure he got help and got some true love (romantic or not).

He's such a good messed up character.

However, what I can't understand (and it affects Ramsus' entire existence in the narrative) is why Krelian actually needed Ramsus in the first place ? "Only Cain can kill Cain" ... okay. But it was established that Cain's boby lost his immortality after being willingly subjected to experiments by Krelian. Why create an equivalent to Cain's existence then ? Why not ask someone random to kill Cain (if Krelian feared to be discovered himself)? Krelian had power over Cain at that point (much like Snape over Lupin in Harry Potter actually... Krelian had the life treatment, Snape had the anti werewolf potion).
    katimus_prime
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime on Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:16 pm

Yeah, I would have thought that if Ramsus looked exactly like Cain, Cain would have known. However, maybe Cain was so far gone by then that he stopped caring about what people looked like?

There is an inconsistency between the articles, because they say Krelian created the clones for the purpose of killing Cain even though Cain was to the point of having to use all his power to sustain his immortality. What I think is that Krelian had more time-sensitive goals in mind. Even if Cain was using all his power to keep himself alive, there was no telling when that would run out, and a clone of Emperor Cain with even a fraction of his power would allow Krelian to have his own little short-cut. Of course, with the thing with the Contact becoming available, those plans were kind of tossed.

When I first heard about Killer Fetus Ramsus, I admit that I thought it was kind of more of an amusing horror story than something Xenogears-grade. I really would like to know more. XD I guess Ramsus' origin is just as imperfect as he is, and I love him more for it, even? Being a clone of the most powerful human being on the planet is going to get you some perks somewhere as a fetus, I guess? Especially one that could think and feel crushing self-doubt without even having the advantage of being a child to go without the crushing expectations and self-doubt for a few years.

I honestly do think that if Miang's and Krelian's grips on Ramsus weren't so tight, he might have ended up with a lot more in common and a lot more to talk about with Emperor Cain in a healthier way. I guess I just have an intense desire to see him patched up because I was kind of led around in a similar manner by people I thought I could trust when I was younger.

Yikari

Post by Yikari on Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:38 am

The question is, if Ramsus is supposed to be a clone of the emperor meant to duplicate his powers and he is the Thing, was the emperor the Thing too?
    Neosmith

Post by Neosmith on Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:34 am

This has little relation to it, but I discovered a really cool Japanese bookstore in NYC that has other branches around the States. It's called Kinokuniya and it has an entire floor dedicated to manga, guidebooks and other imports from Japan.

So, here's a thing - they had multiple printed hardcopies of Perfect Works available for sale. And they had different Xenosaga books available as late as December 2013.

Apparently, they first opened in 2007. I really wish I knew about it back then.

Post by Guest on Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:44 pm

I would really like a better translation of the character profiles and the After Word. UltimateGraphics' translation is far too literal for my taste, it makes understanding everything difficult (in ocasions).
    Reichu
    Reichu

Post by Reichu on Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:15 am

I thought the Ramsus "fetus terrible" back story was pretty rad and I would've loved to see him having nightmares about that rather than just about Id in the game. Seeing Kaori Tanaka's short story convinced me immediately, as if I needed further convincing, that she is my kind of human. (Possibly tangential, but I never quite understood why the "Ramses" fetus looked so... inhuman.)

trexalfa wrote:I would really like a better translation of the character profiles and the After Word. UltimateGraphics'  translation is far too literal for my taste, it makes understanding everything difficult (in ocasions).
    Yeah, most of the prose is extremely stilted and the project definitely would've benefited from some editorial help. (Not to say that even a stilted translation of almost the whole book isn't an amazing achievement; I'm just not going to pretend that it can't be better, is all.) If there's anything you find especially perplexing, I can take a look at the original text for you and try to conjure something smoother.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:53 pm