Xeno Fannage!

Analysis essay thread

seishoujo

Analysis essay thread

Post by seishoujo on Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:05 am

So, I made a Xenosaga-Holy Bible parallel analysis... http://numquamvincar.wordpress.com/2014/07/20/xeno-eureka/
    I'm only a beginner... Well, I do took English Literature in Senior High School but it still looked pretty amateurish... *dry laughter* I hope that isn't last one. I still have another one though, it's not finished yet but it also linked to Xenogears as well.
    FYI, I haven't finished Xenogears... so there's nothing much I can talk about it.

I hoped that the other members also make Xenosaga (Xenogears and Xenoblade too please?) analysis essay too such as this.
    I'm very looking forward to read your essays  :nice:
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Re: Analysis essay thread

Post by katimus_prime on Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:02 pm

Hey Sei!  Excellent topic!  I hope others are able to post their essays here if they have them.  I don't think I have any essays that I want to share, though.  ^^ I don't really feel qualified as a non-believer to provide a lot of feedback on the religious parts of your essay, but I think it seems legit?  Might need a rape warning label on it if there isn't already?  >_O

As for the parts I did understand as a non-Christian, I think they were pretty astute.  It's nice to hear a more scholarly analysis of chaos, especially where you interpret the verses you chose to show us. I think Jin as Reuben and Shion as Dinah are close, but I think actually Shion's a much stronger person than Dinah (although I might also be wrong about that because I've never read the scriptures).  Dinah's story seems to be much more defined by what the men around her do.  But that might just be a gender thing, too.  I had wanted to name a kid Dinah for the longest time because it was also the name of Alice from Alice in Wonderland's cat, but my husband vetoed it because he was raised a little more religious than I was.  I actually tended to associate Dinah a little closer to KOS-MOS, mostly from an artistic perspective, because Dinah looks very much like KOS-MOS and seems to have very little in common with Shion's design, but that's just purely visual.

Again, as a non-Christian, and as someone who hasn't studied Christianity at all except for a couple of the bigger musicals and animated features (Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, Jesus Christ Superstar, The Prince of Egypt), there's probably a lot of name-dropping in Xenogears that I'm just completely missing, the same with Saga.  I think Saga has its purpose a little more baked-in than just name drops, though.  

Cut for Xenogears Endgame Spoilers.

Spoiler:
    Xenogears plants the possibility of an interesting rehash of Cain vs Abel, but never quite gets there (since I think that was planned for Xenogears Episode 2, and the Xenogears we have is Episode 5, which is well past that point).  The names of the Anima Relics appear in the XG PerfectWorks on page 175, under a blurb about Solaris' Gazel Ministry.  The english translation for this perfectworks page is available at this link: https://plus.google.com/photos/115724793449719134521/albums/5430961673531546977/5430966011954831554?banner=pwa&pid=5430966011954831554&oid=115724793449719134521

"There is no growth without birth.  Without a foothold in the past, we cannot walk toward the future.  Get thee gone, darkness!"

seishoujo

Post by seishoujo on Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:38 am

@katimus_prime wrote:Again, as a non-Christian, and as someone who hasn't studied Christianity at all except for a couple of the bigger musicals and animated features (Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, Jesus Christ Superstar, The Prince of Egypt), there's probably a lot of name-dropping in Xenogears that I'm just completely missing, the same with Saga.  I think Saga has its purpose a little more baked-in than just name drops, though.

Haha, that's alright.  :biggrin:  Those Christian animated features are good for both believers and non believers though. *sigh* I haven't even watched Jesus Christ Superstar and The Prince of Egypt...

Wait, what do you mean 'scholarly'??  :shaking:

Actually, when I found out in Xenoverse that Tetsuya Takahashi himself interested in religion I thought that maybe not all religious symbolisms in Xenogears and Xenosaga are faux symbolisms like what Hideaki Anno did in Evangelion. I mean, maybe some of the parallels may have been coincidences but as someone outside the developer team, who knows...? ^^

Post by Guest on Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:19 am

Oooo! This is looking to be very much up my alley-- I will definitely check it out soon!!
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime on Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:35 pm

@seishoujo wrote:
    Wait, what do you mean 'scholarly'??  :shaking:

Sorry it took me so long to track this thread back down.  ^^  Anyway, scholarly just means "involving or relating to serious academic study."

It's nothing to be scared about.  ^_^

"There is no growth without birth.  Without a foothold in the past, we cannot walk toward the future.  Get thee gone, darkness!"

Current date/time is Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:35 am