Xeno Underground

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Xeno Metaseries Community

Hello, this forum is in read-only mode. There is another forum at https://godsibb.net.

+12
Valkyrie
Arylett Charnoa
opkij
Neosmith
Yikari
katimus_prime
RadicalDreamer
LadyTwi
InsaneChronos
kare_reiko
Monstrocker
answerawake
16 posters

Xenoblade Chronicles X

katimus_prime
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Xenoblade Chronicles X - Page 2 Empty Re: Xenoblade Chronicles X

Post by katimus_prime Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:47 pm

So outside of watching the trailer and about 15 minutes of the gameplay video, I haven't spent a whole lot of time with my thoughts on this. I am psyched for the darker-looking, more robotsy story. I hope I'll like it.

I am a little intrigued by the customizable protag. It might mean that it'll be a silent protagonist, which, yanno, Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Persona 2, Persona 3, Persona 4, I can deal with that. The customizable seems a bit more western, which will probably mean that they'll be no Fei, Shion or Shulk, but after getting into TES, I've learned to get...really REALLY attached to a character you make yourself.

I hope I have time to catch up on all the coverage. Thanks to Valkyrie for cataloging it!
    Valkyrie
    Valkyrie

Post by Valkyrie Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:31 am

Gameplay Live of Gamespot :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-mV-iKqVs0

----

After watching all this gameplay videos, I have the feelings that this game will not be a "space opera" like Xenosaga was.
    We just see the outer space on the battle of the beginning, but that's all. After this, all the storyline is based on this alien planet the "New Los Angeles" (the blue sphere with written "United States" on it) crashed in. For what we can see now of course , nothing is set in the stone yet...
    Therefore I find the story is maybe more like Xenogears than Xenosaga.

----

But anyway WOW all those videos remind me of those good sci-fi movies : "Appleseed", "Appleseed EX Machina", "Avatar" (James Cameron), "Matrix episode 3". And of course it remind of all the "Ghost in The Shell" stuff including mechas.
    RadicalDreamer
    RadicalDreamer

Post by RadicalDreamer Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:41 am

katimus_prime wrote:
    I am a little intrigued by the customizable protag.  It might mean that it'll be a silent protagonist, which, yanno, Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Persona 2, Persona 3, Persona 4, I can deal with that.  The customizable seems a bit more western, which will probably mean that they'll be no Fei, Shion or Shulk, but after getting into TES, I've learned to get...really REALLY attached to a character you make yourself.

Really ? I love Skyrim but I couldn't care less about my character... as a character. Sure, I love customazing her but she's nothing but a cypher to me. A way to do quests. A vehicle. Not a character to care about. I sometimes even forget how I named her.
    I cared more about my sims in the Sims games and that's saying a lot.

But maybe you play with mods ? I don't (PS3 version). I know that, with mods, there is the possiblity to make the game more immersive and "role play" a bit more properly. But it requires lots of imagination from the player. It's a good thing, don't get me wrong. It makes the player more creative. It's just that not everyone feels compelled to make up the main character entirelly in their head when they're playing a RPG. Especially a jRPG. And I doubt XenoCross (we're going to go with that, I think lol... far better title than Xenoblade Chronicles X) will have mods (Nintendo exclusive game and all). If Takahashi does it à la vanillaSkyrim, the MC is going to end up boring and feel like a missed opportunity (because this game, like previous Xeno games, will keep cutscenes as the way to tell most of the story... and if the MC stays silent and passive in all of them, it's going to suck).

I'd really prefer this custom character to be more like the MC from Persona (developping relationships with the other characters) or Mass Effect's Shepard (developping relationships AND speaking voice AND choices in cutscenes *would be the best option for XenoCross*). And again, I'd enjoy to be able to control the rest of the party instead of being stuck with a character I don't care much for (not to mention that would help if the AI messes up like it majorly did with Melia... and it's just more fun. period).

Post by Guest Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:25 am

So I was skimming through this video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fblid23KEho

And at one point I stumbled upon them saying the game is sort of similar/connected not just to Xenoblade, but to "previous games in the series as well", and that you'll probably be rewarded "if you've stuck with the series this far."

Personally I highly doubt there will be any true connections beyond a few aesthetic similarities, they're probably just trying to get Gears and Saga fans to also buy this game, but I do find it amusing how they never say the name of those "previous games in the series" and always have to be coy about it since Gears belongs to Square Enix and Saga belongs to Namco.
    Valkyrie
    Valkyrie

Post by Valkyrie Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:55 am

RadicalDreamer wrote :
    XenoCross (we're going to go with that, I think lol... far better title than Xenoblade Chronicles X)

Well... I would prefer not. "XenoCross" is a very cool name (sounds like Chrono Cross, Macross, and others good stuff...) I feel, but I would prefer "XBX" for the moment.
    This is the name I take from here :
    http://mori-meikyu.jugem.jp/?eid=1888

I suppose we need to do a vote for this   :laugh4:

----

Naphtali wrote :
    And at one point I stumbled upon them saying the game is sort of similar/connected not just to Xenoblade, but to "previous games in the series as well", and that you'll probably be rewarded "if you've stuck with the series this far."

Hi Naphtali !

Yeah totally true, just listen to what they say  at 8.15 :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fblid23KEho
    Valkyrie
    Valkyrie

Post by Valkyrie Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:05 pm

Just one funny thing  ãƒ•ã‚©ãƒ¬ã‚¹ãƒˆ (Forest, the author of this blog : http://mori-meikyu.jugem.jp ) found :

http://img-cdn.jg.jugem.jp/d20/1261111/20140612_1028816.jpg

In this image exactly 16 letters are entered as password. 16 letters, exactly the number of letters here :
    You shall be as a God

Xeno is really an eternal recurrence  :2thumbs:

And besides the first minutes of the cutscenes of the live gameplay respect a little the "Xenolegacy":
    The attack  on Lahan > the attack on the Woglinde > the attack on the Colony 6 > the attack on the Earth...
    RadicalDreamer
    RadicalDreamer

Post by RadicalDreamer Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:33 pm

By the way, what are your opinion on the music ? The bits we heard seemed to be nice. I'm not familiar with the composer but apparently, he did famous stuff recently (Attack on Titan and Kill la Kill... which I never felt like watching) and before (Gundam stuff... which is maybe why Takahashi chose him in the first place).
    Also, do you think Mitsuda will eventually return for a main song (he did for Xenoblade) ? Or will this be like in Xenosaga 2/3 (with just Kajiura doing the songs) ?

What is the character that seems the most appealing to you ? Design wise, of course.
    For me, I think it's the black haired dude (he's going to be the Jin/Dunban of the game, isn't he ? He even seems to have an old friend turned nemesis) and the MOMOvena character. Blond hair girl is intriguing too because she reminds me of Pellegri... or Juli. Both maybe.

This game also seems not to have fanservice with the basic outfits (even less than Xenoblade)... which is nice (of course, I'm sure there will be swimsuits and sexed up outfits to find in the game but that's okay). Elma's design looks a bit weird for now (but we'll be able to change it so... cool... this is why I LOVE the visible equipment thing that Xenoblade embraced... and I expect Tanaka's outfits to look better overall). She also looks like a human T-Elos (sort of). I have the feeling she's going to feel like the real heroine instead of our MC (just a gut feeling but maybe I'm wrong). Basic design for the MC looks like something from Mass Effect. Inspiration ?
    Also, a few characters look beast like. Xenogears-like demi-humans ?

Do you think we will really be able to fight with 4 characters this time ? I heard stuff about that.
    How many party members do you think there will be ? Or what would you like ? 6/7 (Blade/Saga) ? 9 (Gears) ?

Some people seem to say they dislike the characters fighting a lot with guns but I don't mind. I really like it, in fact. I'm sure there will be other weapons anyway.

Oh yeah and... there is a character named Luxzall. This is such a Kingdom Hearts name lol.
    kare_reiko
    kare_reiko
    Donator

Post by kare_reiko Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:08 pm

I think that those demi-humans are the race that did destroy Earth and fighting with humanity, but they just be race from that planet and they will be playable.
    Music, I didn't hear much because of all those guys talking but from what I heard it's amazing.
    Well I like Elma look, All xenoheroines had the same hair so change is nice, she feel similar yet different. We will see if she will have nice story... For now narration is told by this "momo" girl with xenoblade in hair. I'm still worry about MC, he don't remember anything, like many MC like that... Only player MC that I liked, for story, is Persona 3, I hope it will be nice too. Oh, and I would like to see how looks female MC in this game, since I always make one if I can.
    Well I'm not very gun person, nothing is nicer the old good swords, but Resonance of Fate had only guns and I liked it, I should like this one too. I think I saw crossbow in MC hand while fighting too.
    I just hope Wii U will get a little cheaper when it will come out, because mow it's two full my monthly pays in work :/ I love Poland, we right after Africa with pays...
    katimus_prime
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:16 pm

Spoiler-texting non-Xeno talk about TES protags...
    Spoiler:

I still haven't decided on how I feel about a customizable protagonist in a JRPG.  A silent one or a pre-designed one that you can choose the dialogue for is one thing, but I don't think I've ever seen a JRPG with one.  Hoping it turns out well.  In general, I really hope this game is good and that it's a success.  I am excited for the girl who looks like Pellegri, the guy who looks like Dunban (the guy who looks like Mumkhar on a very good day), and I have EXTREME CURIOSITY about the strong-jawwed older gentleman with the scar.  Also the Zohar-like thing on the screen readout.  I am impressed that the old Ye Shall Be As Gods thing cropped up again.  

I'm just going to sit here and be excited.  I'm actually relieved that it's been pushed back to 2015, because I was concerned that if they JUST introduced the title and released it during the 2014 holiday season that it wouldn't be as polished as it could be.  I do hope it's within the first quarter of 2015, though.  I kinda can't wait.
    RadicalDreamer
    RadicalDreamer

Post by RadicalDreamer Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:20 am

It occured to some people at Neogaf that the male MC is voiced by Shulk's VA while the female MC is voiced by... Shion's. So there, you can probably recreate Shulk or Shion, folks (this game is shaping up to be full of fanservice already).

Now, I read people's reaction for this game all over the internet and it saddens me that there is this dominant opinion that the character designs are shitty (and always were in Xeno games? What?). People actually hate Tanaka's style ?
    Sure, maybe he was more inspired back in the Xenogears days (so many Xeno-iconic designs... like Ramsus *by the way, his outfit reminds me a lot of Loki's from Thor* or Grahf or Elly) but still... his designs aren't bad here (I just may have a problem with how he does the nose on certain characters since Xenosaga, it looks too short). Not enough to be called shitty or an epic fail. The 3D models themselves ARE awkward. They need to emote in the final version at the very least (I want to keep hope because Xenoblade's cutscenes were unequal in facial animation... and the first screens we got of the characters looked worse than what we end up with). And yeah, the texture is poor (look at their hair, it's almost like the Xenosaga models did this better on PS2).
    It would be good to look at the drawings from Tanaka. Later I guess... or in an artbook.
    InsaneChronos

Post by InsaneChronos Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:05 am

Hmmm... Elsa from Xenosaga and this ship from X are very similar, if you ask me...
    katimus_prime
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:39 pm

I'm really stoked to see an artbook as well. I tend to like 2D designs more than 3D in general. I don't think the models look terrible, but I guess the difference between Xenoblade's character design, compared to XS3, XS2 and XS1, people are bound to disagree. I didn't dislike the character designs from Xenoblade, but I did miss Tanaka's style.
    Valkyrie
    Valkyrie

Post by Valkyrie Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:50 pm

Again, フォレスト (Forest) noticed some interesting stuff :
    http://mori-meikyu.jugem.jp/?eid=1889

1) Yes, there is this Nopon at the end of the trailer that surprised me. On  the one hand, many people say they don't see any characters from Xenoblade (Wii) though it is a sequel, but on the other hand : it is a Nopon, no doubt !

2) That fact about "BLADE": Well I guess it's not surprising to see acronyms since it's a sci-fi story after all (not like Xenoblade Wii and Xenogears)
    But anyway, it really reminds me of KOS-MOS  :nice:
    Kosmos Obey Strategical... I forgot the rest... :angry2:
    kare_reiko
    kare_reiko
    Donator

Post by kare_reiko Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:00 pm

Kat I like your idea to call this game xenocross, second thought about it's full name that it give emotion icon as shortcut
    XCX or better XcX
    Well miss Soraya drew arts from all xeno games when first trailer from xenocross came out in last year. So there will be things, little cross overs from all xeno games.

I don't know if someone here watched stargate:atlantis. Opening scene when united states pod crash on planet remind me when atlantis changed planet. It was one of best episodes and now I got the same shivers and excitment when saw that opening.
    katimus_prime
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:30 pm

kare_reiko wrote:Kat I like your idea to call this game xenocross, second thought about it's full name that it give emotion icon as shortcut
    XCX or better XcX

Heheh, that totally isn't my idea tho?  That was RadicalDreamer's.  ^^  I'm pretty fine with XBX as it is, personally.
    RadicalDreamer
    RadicalDreamer

Post by RadicalDreamer Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:36 pm

I didn't dislike the character designs from Xenoblade, but I did miss Tanaka's style.
    I thought the human characters were kind of a bland mess the first time they were revealed. And some armors/accessories were bizarre (remember a certain accesory for Shulk, an ugly hat or hairband... whatever that was, it looked so silly I couldn't help imagining Reyn laughing at him). Got used to them while playing the game (and the silly equipement could be amusing... and sometimes you found something more appealing so... good). And at the end of the day, there were genuinely good and almost unique designs in Xenoblade (machinas, mechs, nopons *design wise, nopons may be actually the best because they're fairly simple egg shapes that you recognize immediately and they're pretty cute... as effective as moogles really*).

You know, the main designer for Xenoblade may work again on Xenocross when you think about it. Not as lead designer, sure (that's Tanaka's job), but as a secondary one. He did work on Xenosaga as this, didn't he ? And Xenogears I think. Soraya Saga herself contributed to the games sometimes too (there is a blond character in Soma Bringer that is so totally from her, can't miss it... but she did Sigurd and the Fatima bros in Gears too I think... not sure if she did designs for Saga and she certainly wasn't involved in Blade though).

1) Yes, there is this Nopon at the end of the trailer that surprised me. On the one hand, many people say they don't see any characters from Xenoblade (Wii) though it is a sequel, but on the other hand : it is a Nopon, no doubt !
    It's not a sequel. Not a direct one so... whatever people recognize from Xenoblade, it's simply fanservice (just like Gears stuff in Saga... and Gears/Saga stuff in this new game). Some people are going to be disappointed if they keep believing in the sequel/prequel thing (such a feeling of dé️jà vu, huh). Especially people who don't follow gaming news and only liked Xenoblade.

Besides, the nopon in japanese doesn't say his name. Don't know why the subtitle gave him one. You can bet that nopons in this are going to have a different backstory (or be joke npcs/characters à la Big Joe). They just became FF like mascots imo. The Monado hairclip in the girl's hair means nothing as well. I mean, it's just a hairclip (unless hairclips are the new magical/mysterious pendants lol).

Take it as like... Tifa's poster and Lucca cameo in Xenogears... or even Rene and Roni names. Those meant nothing except as nods to FF7, Chrono Trigger and FF6 (the first because Xenogears was first proposed as FF7, the second because a big part of the Xeno staff came from Chrono Trigger and FF6 because Soraya Saga created the Figaro brothers... neither of those things linked the 3 games together storywise). I chose those examples instead of Xenosaga because Xenosaga's case is slightly special with the right issues... while FF6, 7, Trigger and Gears were all from the same company (like XB and XBX are both from Nintendo). But you could argue that Xenocross is going to be like Chrono Cross (eheh, there is cross in both titles)... a poorly conceived sequel with a great atmosphere that will drop the big connection to the first game at the last minute. That... wouldn't be good.

I don't know if someone here watched stargate:atlantis. Opening scene when united states pod crash on planet remind me when atlantis changed planet. It was one of best episodes and now I got the same shivers and excitment when saw that opening.
    I never watched it much. The first episode felt cool then I lost interest. The first show was part of my teenage years though. Kinda mad Emmerich is going to reboot all this for a probably lame trilogy (and probably pissing all over the shows on screen *he can do it, when he's butthurt over something, he gets petty on screen... I saw that with his Godzilla... that was embarassing* because he always hated them for having stolen the spotlight).

Talking about the opening cutscenes in the demo, some stuff did remind me of Xenogears/Saga :
    - when the huge ship crashes, parts of it separate... so maybe we'll get to explore various startrek ship sets sideways again lol.
    - when the city part crashes/lands, it looks like a blue squashed sphere. Kinda reminded me of Fort Jasper.
    - the shot of the planet with the sun at the start (right after the Xenoblade Chronicles X title) feels like seeing Xenosaga finally getting a sequel/rising from its grave (it's not, we know that, but it looks like it). It looks so similar to the ending shot of Xenosaga 3 (after the credits). On the other hand, before the title screen, it seems more like Xenogears opening (on a huge ship).
    - the space battles, of course, remind us of Xenosaga.

Do you think this is REALLY the opening of the game by the way ? I don't know... for an opening, it seems rushed to get you to the gameplay stuff with a minimal understanding of the situation. Now, if this was edited specially for the demo, I get it. Besides, I don't really want the demo to spoil the final opening.
    kare_reiko
    kare_reiko
    Donator

Post by kare_reiko Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:52 am

About opening I think it's final one. It's like with XS ep2. Demo of it came out before game too on xenofreaks cd and it's look exacly like final one from opening until end of "14 years ago" part.

About Xenoblade clothes... well I love hat for Melia with flowers, it was pretty, but all Carna upper parts and most of Fiora's hast problem of big boobs pop out. You can't have Carna without her boobs jumping around. I don't mind silly clothes I had fun with them but it's hard to find videos for trailers/amvs where characters don't look strange.

Geting back to opening, it's really like opening of xenogears, ship crash on planet and story starts.
    Oh, and there was kitty in city Smile  I'll need to find him XD
    Valkyrie
    Valkyrie

Post by Valkyrie Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:44 am

One more last thing rather interesting about this post :

If I understand correctly the 2) BLADE, the words in yellow are a transcription in Japanese of the words in red (which are from the cutscene).

By curiosity I did some translations with Google Translate. The result :

神の言葉を超えた人工的な運命の開放者
    =
    Open person of destiny artificial beyond the Word of God

Oh my, "The Word of God"! This a direct reference to "Lemegeton", is it not ?
    Of course I suppose there is no link with the "Lemegeton Program" of Xenosaga :
    http://xenosaga.wikia.com/wiki/Lemegeton

But more important, it implies that "God" is maybe a key element in this story, which of course reminds me of some Xenogears and Xenosaga issues  :pleased:
    Just hope this is not again some fan-service for the fans of those two games...

N.B.: The Lemegeton is also indirectly mentionned in Xenogears as you can read at the bottom of the wikia page.
    kare_reiko
    kare_reiko
    Donator

Post by kare_reiko Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:46 am

Well lemegeton idea wasn't fully develoment in xeno so why not use already finished idea in next story? Missing year wasn't good done, there was more words "lemegeton" in perfect guide pages then on xenosaga games. XD
    RadicalDreamer
    RadicalDreamer

Post by RadicalDreamer Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:48 am

Valkyrie wrote:One more last thing rather interesting about this post :

If I understand correctly the 2) BLADE, the words in yellow are a transcription in Japanese of the words in red (which are from the cutscene).

By curiosity I did some translations with Google Translate. The result :

神の️言葉を超えた人工的な運命の️開放者
    =
    Open person of destiny artificial beyond the Word of God

Oh my, "The Word of God"! This a direct reference to "Lemegeton", is it not ?
    Of course I suppose there is no link with the "Lemegeton Program" of Xenosaga :
    http://xenosaga.wikia.com/wiki/Lemegeton

But more important, it implies that "God" is maybe a key element in this story, which of course reminds me of some Xenogears and Xenosaga issues  :pleased:
    Just hope this is not again some fan-service for the fans of those two games...

N.B.: The Lemegeton is also indirectly mentionned in Xenogears as you can read at the bottom of the wikia page.

Lemegeton in Xenogears ? Where ? Ah... THAT. Okay.

I don't think it's just "fanservice for Gears and Saga". It's equally fanservice for Xenoblade too. BLADE in the new game is an acronym (that some people are already calling "pretentious" ...  Rolling Eyes ) but it has more or less the same purpose as the Monado in Xenoblade (from what I understood).

So, yeah... fanservice for all... and lack of imagination on Takahashi part maybe (as much as I loved Xenogears and Saga... the same tropes superficially coming back in his new games feel a bit tiresome after a while *I'd like to know what other completely different stories/themes he could explore with the same passion he used to have when he made Xenogears*... even if it can sometimes hit us, old fans, in the nostalgia *that's maybe why I wasn't thrilled with Xenoblade's ending...
    Spoiler:
    *).
    kare_reiko
    kare_reiko
    Donator

Post by kare_reiko Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:59 am

You know right now I thought that hairclip can be just one of many unlock able items that you get from people that give you quests like quests in xenoblade. And have nothing with story itself. I wouldn't be surprised if there will be item of nissan pendant, shion's pendant, zohar earrings as quest rewards.
    kare_reiko
    kare_reiko
    Donator

Post by kare_reiko Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:00 am

Female Avatar make screenshot Smile
    https://www.facebook.com/xenowiiu/photos/a.571508402878763.143880.568287529867517/862624257100508/?type=1&theater
    stitchedmoon
    stitchedmoon

Post by stitchedmoon Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:27 pm

^ akdjhfaslkf the character they made looks like Lapis Roman ;o;

Last edited by stitchedmoon on Mon May 02, 2016 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
    katimus_prime
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:09 pm

Looks like they have a preset that looks very uncannily like Maria Balthasar from that same screenshot you linked, Kare.
    kare_reiko
    kare_reiko
    Donator

Post by kare_reiko Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:07 am

^ Yeah, I notice that too. I wonder if there will be other hairs too, those ones on right look's like already ready to play characters. Well, we see, two years and we may get some english ver, damn you region block Wii U.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:20 am