Xeno Underground

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Xeno Metaseries Community

Hello, this forum is in read-only mode. There is another forum at https://godsibb.net.

3 posters

Front Mission

Monstrocker
    Monstrocker

Front Mission Empty Front Mission

Post by Monstrocker Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:02 am

.: Its depressing that there were some Front Mission games that was not released in the U.S. Anyone heard or played the Front Mission series?

I only played Front Mission 3, and it is so interesting. There was a Xenogears reference, but one of the characters wears the costume of either Margie or Elly.
    Yikari
    Yikari

Front Mission Empty Re: Front Mission

Post by Yikari Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:05 am

Out of the main series, I've played all but the second one. I have yet to finish all of them (and in case of the third one will probably never finish and just satisfy myself with a let's play because the facepalm is strong in that one).

Personal opinion:

- plot-wise, first and fifth are, IMHO, stronger than the others;

- game mechanics are at their best in the fifth game, although previous games had some interesting features and cool map layouts the fifth one didn't have;

- gameplay is quite rad all around and has some very neat things scattered around the series;

First game had a re-release which added a new campaign and rehauled some of the gameplay;

I haven't been able to try it out for myself yet though. Fifth game has been fully translated by fans and a patch for an *iso dump of the japanese release is available online. Last time I checked that same team was preparing to release the same for the second game, but I haven't checked in there for a while, so I don't really know what came of that.

I've tried out the third-person shooter spin-off, but have been unable to complete it yet. I wouldn't recommend that game.
    Monstrocker
    Monstrocker

Post by Monstrocker Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:00 pm

.: I wondered why Front Mission 2 and 5 was not released here. Oh well.

After looking through the Front Mission Evolved gameplay, I can see why people disliked it.
    Pixy
    Pixy

Post by Pixy Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:46 pm

Yikari wrote:

First game had a re-release which added a new campaign and rehauled some of the gameplay; I haven't been able to try it out for myself yet though.

in terms of gameplay differences, I'd say the main one is there are now several secret missions and you can unlock mobile armors to use. some of them are not good at all, some of them are very ridiculous and just obliterate....everything....

the main difference is probably the translation. you know how in the snes translation, Roid/Royd/Lloyd is pretty angry? He gets really pissed off, he screams, he has PTSD. supplemental sources go further and say he's an alcoholic and abuses drugs. He has a line that's like, "I can think of nothing of your death!!!!"

Those are very extreme words, for a video game protagonist to say.

In the DS translation he's kind of just like this strict army commander that gets pissed off sometimes when things go wrong. It's weird for him to be written that way, considering what happened to him, and it's especially weird since (front mission 2 spoilers)
    Spoiler:

there's also another campaign, where you play as a UCS officer, Kevin Greenfield. It's more challenging than the OCU campaign, which is not sayhing much since there is nothing challenging in the OCU campaign, but Kevin himself is not interesting. He's just a bad Gundam protagonist.

Last time I checked that same team was preparing to release the same for the second game, but I haven't checked in there for a while, so I don't really know what came of that.

It's good. The events that happen outside of combat are translated, but not inserted in the game. So there's a .txt file containing those script bits, but everything in battles is translated. I recommend it.

.: I wondered why Front Mission 2 and 5 was not released here. Oh well.

After looking through the Front Mission Evolved gameplay, I can see why people disliked it.

this series has been treated very poorly. when square enix released fm 1st in the US, they did zero marketing. I had no idea it came out or existed until three years afterwards. like my old kung fu master once said, "in order to sell a game, people have to know about it.....idiot...."

the other thing is, in japan front mission is kind of like this serial drama series. There's ALL these supplemental things, like radio productions, and mangas, (novels too, I think???) and they're ALL directly connected. for example, front mission 5's plot is a lot more satisfying if you've played fm1 and 2, because characters are constantly referring to/gossiping about the events of those games. FM3/4 as well, just not as much. So it kind of makes sense to not release a game if people won't understand it.

But then again even if you've not played any other front mission game, front mission 5 is one of the best strategy games ever made, and one of the best games in general.
    Yikari
    Yikari

Post by Yikari Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:30 am

Looks like I'll be checking FM2 out then when I have the time. Very Happy

Why there are so few games like these? I can get a kick out of the few SRW games that got a translation every once in a while, but that's not nearly the same.

IMHO, there needs to be more interaction between mecha and different corps like aviation, artillery, ground armor, infantry, etc, etc instead of just mecha-mecha combat. FM4 allows you to call in time-delayed airstrikes, goddrat it!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:00 am