Xeno Underground

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Xeno Fannage!

Hello, we will be closing December 31st, 2021. Please back up your messages and exchange contact information. There is another forum at https://godsibb.net. Hello, we will be entering read-only mode on December 31st, 2021. Please back up your messages and exchange contact information. There is another forum at https://godsibb.net.

2 posters

Xenogears cutscenes

RadicalDreamer
    RadicalDreamer

Xenogears cutscenes Empty Xenogears cutscenes

Post by RadicalDreamer Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:11 pm

I was visiting the Xenogears gamefaq forum lately and I came across this question :

"What is the longest Xenogears cutscene ?"

And it made me think about the game as a whole. How long are the cutscenes put together ? What about comparing them with Xenosaga's ? And finally, what ended up to be my main motivation for what I'm doing "How many TV anime episodes (basically around 22m40/24m40) Xenogears would have if it was turned into an anime ?"

I also might try and see how many movies Xenogears would need to tell the story, ahah (too much I guess, especially if you add the missing story stuff and missing episodes).

So yeah, basically, I'm taking notes about cutscene lenght for each chapter of the game (and I'm giving a name for each cutscene because "Why not? Xenosaga 3 did it, after all." and it's kinda fun). It's not perfect because the game has mainly text boxes and is not entirelly voiced but I think it gives an idea.

So far (I almost finished the Stalactite Cave chapter), I can tell you that the longest chapter is "Desert Attack!" (from Fei getting lost in the desert to Fei/Bart Gear fight and getting sucked into quick sands... overall 20m55... could be a TV episode on its own) and the longest scene is the one where Elly blames Fei in the forest (before she leaves him, feels awful about herself and gets attacked by a Rankar). It's just only slightly longer than the opening anime sequence (5m31, the opening being 5m15).

It also made me think about which scenes should/could be rewritten, moved/switched or completely cut off if the game had a shot at the anime thing. Even a remake. I honestly have no doubt that if Takahashi and co. could and wanted to work on Xenogears again, they would change/edit and of course add stuff (and I'm pretty convinced they didn't have much time to edit the cutscenes nicely when they made the game *look at Disk2 rushed state*... which is probably why the game has some pacing/writing issues). But even while thinking about that, I still do enjoy watching the story unfold as it already is. Despite the flaws, the story, characters and music (even the sometimes neat character sprite animation *like Fei leaning against the wall of his cell when he talks with Citan*) are still so lovable and enjoyable to me.

If you are interested, I can post all my notes.
    katimus_prime
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Xenogears cutscenes Empty Re: Xenogears cutscenes

Post by katimus_prime Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:11 pm

This is cool! Totally post your notes! :3

Current date/time is Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:50 pm