Xeno Fannage!

Christmas antecipation.

Christmas antecipation.

Post by Guest on Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:51 pm

Hello guys,sup?Around here at least,it wasn't even about 23 november and people would already decorate their home,sites,shops make x-mas announcements of discounts...am I the only one who find this annoying?

Aside the obvious commercial reasons,from what I'm observing the society nowdays (read: pretty much anywhere,due to globalization's mainstream) is that people are finding themselves frustrated in how this holyday,be it in a religious view or just to get together with family isn't turning well as it used to.People are being more absent from each other,facebook,work,real life issues,having to post every single breath they take in a "social network",other kinds of addicts,too much traffic,not being able to hold the anxiety,shopping the gifts and so on...I saw even threads in forums regarding x-mas being creating in the first week of november and themes being traded at that same time!Just what the fuck...?Hold your horses,seriously.

Myself?I wouldn't give attention to decorating my house if it was only mine until later december,such as 20~23,as my parents usually do,if we do something at all.But we focus in the meaning of family,even we being loose regarding each other's life and feelings sometimes,it simply works out.

I hope nobody here is "pre-celebrating" x-mas in order to force the very mood to go up,inflating it as the crisis in 2008/2009.If you are,no offense,but maybe seeking a psicologist would be the most wise choice?It can be a loose end of some bigger problems.

Cheers XU!
    stitchedmoon

Re: Christmas antecipation.

Post by stitchedmoon on Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:19 am

Haha, yeah, around here the shops start carrying Xmas stuff in, like, freakin' September (a few aisles over from the Halloween candy).  That and the rampant consumerism used to bother me, but I've sort of become a cynical old bastard over the years and now I just think it's kind of sad-funny or tune it out altogether.  It might help to remember that, to some degree, you can choose to participate or not, even when it seems like it's all up and blaring in your face.

Re: social media, I've never seen it as a curse, more of just a different way of communicating that can be shallow or extremely meaningful depending on how you use it (blah blah blah technology can be used for good or evil blah blah :B ).  And yeah, I've heard that some people do get caught up in micro-posting every second of their lives on Facebook, or texting instead of spending face-to-face time with their relatives, but there are a lot of factors that go into that, too.  Personally I find Facebook really trivial and annoying and hardly ever use it at all, except to talk to my relatives and long-distance friends when I can't see them in person.  I'm kind of shy IRL, so I think social media can be great for keeping in touch and making new friends.  I guess my general unofficial policy on any social website is if I'm spending more time caught up in the workings of the site itself than in interacting with people I like on it, or if it makes me grind my teeth in annoyance, then it's probably time for a "vacation" from that site or to start using it more sparingly.  But everyone's experience is different, and to each their own.

But anyway, yeah, holiday junk.  I do tend to feel more depressed and anxious during the holidays--partly because of all the stress vibes just floating around out there, and also because it reminds me of good and bad things from the past (my childhood and recent family dramas).  I love spending time with my family, but not being forced to interact with people who'd be better off quarantined behind a Facebook screen or cut out of one's life altogether (see also: why I don't talk to my biological father anymore).  The weird thing is I actually have really fond (or at least bittersweet) memories of the holidays in my childhood, when it seemed like they lasted much longer and we'd spend weeks preparing for it at home and doing crafts and stuff at school.  Some of that anticipation was fun and exciting and didn't feel overexposed--it just made me look forward to the occasion more.  I guess the novelty (and/or childhood naivete) wears off after a while, and the tacky blow-up lawn snowmen and BUY SOMETHIN' WILL YA plastered in red and green tinsel all over the shopping mall don't help either. :P  So again, I think it goes both ways.  Maybe it's a combination of over-anticipation and being too rushed to slow down and actually celebrate, so it's like peering through the shop windows at a party you're too busy to attend.  There's more hype and less substance, and that can be pretty depressing.

As for me, this year I got the tree down from the attic after Thanksgiving and just got around to decorating it last weekend (my husband thinks I'm a big nerd, but all the ornaments I have are hand-me-downs from my childhood and it's kind of a nostalgic little ritual unwrapping them every year, something that brings me closer to home now that I've been spending the holidays with my in-laws).  The only other thing I'm doing ahead of time is making gifts (because I'm underemployed and excessively broke, haha) and maybe cards and stuff.  In general, my advice for people dealing with holiday stress is to do what's manageable, focus on what's important to you, and try to screen out the rest so it doesn't steal your joy, if possible.

That's just my gift-wrapped 2 cents, of course. :P  Hope you all have great holidays no matter what you celebrate!

Last edited by stitchedmoon on Wed May 04, 2016 12:18 am; edited 1 time in total

TheMagician

Post by TheMagician on Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:17 am

If memory serves me right, I started seeing Xmas advertisements/decorations REALLY early back in November. Because it always is a very stressful time of year for me in general, it can get annoying and I don't want to be reminded of it every waking second when it isn't even December yet. I do try to ignore it, though that's pretty damn hard when its in your face wherever you go.

Now, if they held off until December arrived, even if it was early in the month, then it wouldn't bother me as much. In my case, I don't tend to do anything until the middle of the month. If I do, then its just as simple as putting up a tree and that's pretty much it. The days where my family would 'doll up' the house are long since gone (I'm talking 10+ years on this one), probably as a direct result of the stress that Xmas brings... Everything lost its thunder a long time ago and its pretty much impossible to get excited about anything dealing with it. I find that sad really. A holiday that is supposed to bring joy and happy times etc. just ends up doing the exact opposite for me every year.

Tehrin

Post by Tehrin on Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:29 pm

At my work, we had Christmas up in August. Though craft materials for the people who do crafting and things for craft fairs. I think in the 5 years I've been there, I've seen this date get pushed back another week or so each year. :/ It's a bit troubling.
    LadyTwi
    Inquisitor Extraordinaire

Post by LadyTwi on Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:03 pm

For me, as soon as December hits I'm in the Christmas mood. I've seen Christmas decorations in stores as soon as Halloween is over, but I don't really pay them any mind until December 1st. I don't even have any decorations up in the apartment, though I'm going home soon so it doesn't really feel necessary. I think my mom started decorating around the beginning of December, though she doesn't have the tree up yet.

The main thing that excites me for Christmas is seeing my family. Nothing has changed for us over the years even with the introduction of Facebook and stuff: we still have a gathering of Dad's family at his mother's on Christmas Eve, gather all of my mom's family together at her sister's for Christmas dinner on Christmas Day, and gather all of my mom's family together at her other sister's on Boxing Day to eat the left over turkey. This is the way it's been done for as long as I can remember and it's my favourite part of the holidays hands down. This is what Christmas is for me and I love it.

I don't worry about what other people are doing and just enjoy Christmas my way, is what I'm trying to say I guess. XD

katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime on Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:47 am

I think the early christmas preparation started when paranoid and busy parents would try to get their shopping out of the way early so theu could still get the good stuff for their loved ones. Now that a lot if the good stuff can be bought digitally, I think a lot of the paranoia has remained and actually amplified. Of course, having worked at a craft store like Rin, I think having xmas stuff up in August put a nail in the coffin of my xmas spirit. Though I was hoping to get a little tree for my husband and I last week, now I have to face crowds in the shopping center. I see a bunch if upset people rushing around, it tends to rub off on me.

"There is no growth without birth.  Without a foothold in the past, we cannot walk toward the future.  Get thee gone, darkness!"

Current date/time is Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:33 pm