Xeno Fannage!

Translation Central

Re: Translation Central

Post by Guest on Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:58 am

Melisse, my Princess of Justice!!!! Ah!!! I do hope this is, indeed, a good sign. Pied Piper really needs to get out and about more among the Xenocommunity. It's such a treasure-- so any efforts people make to spread it around are always a great joy to see!!!

Neosmith

Post by Neosmith on Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:44 am

Translation request:

Hey, Gwendal.

So, for completion's sake, I'd like to ask if you could translate the remaining Who's Who entries

I believe that only the first two volumes had been fully translated, after which AC and I had requested select entries from the other volumes. I'm not sure if you archived those, but if you could look at the remaining entries, that would be great.

https://web.archive.org/web/20070331084952/http://www.monolithsoft.co.jp/left/special/xono_II_who/l-special-xeno2.html

I was also wondering if you wouldn't mind looking at the following Japanese voice actor interviews: https://web.archive.org/web/20050307070053/http://www.monolithsoft.co.jp/left/special/v_interview/index.html
    The pictures might not show up but the entries are there.

Gwendal

Post by Gwendal on Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:20 am

Hey. Sure, I'm glad to help out with those. Smile

I'll get started tomorrow or the day after at the latest, and update at a regular pace from there.

Gwendal

Post by Gwendal on Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:59 pm

Okay, I've gotten started now. Neosmith, from your post I assume that the first two volumes are saved, so I started from volume 3. If it turns out the first two are gone as well, I can always re-translate those. As for my own backups, I have to admit I haven't really been too diligent with that, since I (optimistically) assumed that getting this material onto XenoTen would be enough to archive it properly.

Because of that, and since it's been a while, I'm not 100% sure which entries I might have translated before. So I just started at the top, and eventually realized I'd done these two before. But I figured I might as well finish, since the last versions probably went down with XenoTen, and I'm (hopefully) able to translate them in a better way this time around due to more practice. Here they are:

Planner/Battle Director
    Makoto Shimamoto

"Battles have a much higher tempo than in the previous game!"

That would sum up the battle design work in one sentence, but I'll go into a little more detail.

This is a turn-based RPG, so when you see the numbers shown on screen accompanying the characters' actions, you might think they're "way too fast!", but you'll probably get used to it over the course of just one dungeon. Also, the OOOO system you know and love from the previous game has undergone a new evolution! (Note: There's a hint in the screens we've released)

The traditional huge robots (even if they really weren't all that huge in the last game) are much more exciting! (Note: Regarding the previous game, they're different from the concept)

Also, "that guy" is turning up! As a battle designer, working him in was really hard...since he's too powerful in story terms. That reminds me, in the past there was also this person who was like the Four Heavenly Kings. When he was in trouble during battle, he'd make requests and the like. [Not really sure about what this part is all about, sorry]
    In any case, what should I do this time? I also have to think about how to balance it against the new elements.

Well, since I'm almost out of time, I'll end on this comment. While this game might be inheriting the system from EP1, it could rightly be called a new battle system due to the improved tempo, increased layer of strategi and +α. [Increased "alpha-ness"?]
    Well then, please do look forward to the brilliance shining in the many fights that make up Xeno battles.

Designer/Effects Supervisor
    Taizou Inukai

Greetings to all you Xeno fans out there! My name is Inukai, and I'm in charge of effects for the Xeno series. Day and night, I'm always working on attack and spell result [effects]. This game has a much higher volume and quality of effects compared to Episode 1.

By layering effects on top of the scenery, it all becomes significantly more expressive! The popular, flashy effects from the last game will be even flashier! The very, very, very, very, very unpopular sluggishness of the battle effects from that game have been sped up so much that it almost doesn't feel like Xeno any more. ^^

The characters you're all so fond of have also been powered up. Through the shift from an anime style to a more realistic style:
    Shion is even sexier!
    KOS-MOS is even cooler!
    Jr. is even more stylish!
    chaos is even more mysterious!
    Ziggy is even more fiery! [Lit.: "hotter", not sure if this also has the same sexual connotation it does in English]
    MOMO is even lovelier (to use an outdated term)!
    And "that person" is...

We're also trying some new things on the direction side, so...
    (Oh, I want to say it, I really do, but we'll have to leave it for a later opportunity.)

A, anyway, please look forward to the finished game! I'm sure you'll all be impressed. Our days developing this game go on and on, and I imagine all of your happy faces lined up one by one as I sternly reprimand myself to get on with the work.

Please wait just a little longer. I'm convinced we'll be able to give you a treat that'll exceed your expectations.

by the Young Orange Lord (meaning unknown)
    kare_reiko
    Donator

Post by kare_reiko on Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:06 am

hmmm... Ep2 battle system is faster then one in ep1? =_=... okay.... We can say all but not that it's faster (I love it anyway) it's most slow battle system of all Xenosaga games...

Such a moment of such peace...
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime on Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:28 am

The only thing I can think of when they say faster is maybe load performance? I can't think of any other way it could be faster. ._.

Anyway, Gwendal, I have plans to help get the translations you did for XenoTen up on our wiki, but I've fallen behind due to work. I should be able to give it more attention after work isn't so hectic.

"There is no growth without birth.  Without a foothold in the past, we cannot walk toward the future.  Get thee gone, darkness!"

Gwendal

Post by Gwendal on Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:53 am

The battles in EP2 might take longer, but the attack animations are a lot faster and less tedious. He's definitely right there...the problem is just that they probably gave some of the enemies too much HP.

katimus_prime: Sounds good. In the meantime, I'll just keep going through volume 3 and beyond then.

Neosmith

Post by Neosmith on Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:38 pm

Hey Gwendal!

Thanks a lot!

Yeah, I think Volumes 1 and 2 are definitely around somewhere. I recall now seeing the first two entries of Volume 3, but it's good to have them again nonetheless.

I'm going to be saving stuff a lot more from here on out, so we'll have this archived. Keep em coming!

Gwendal

Post by Gwendal on Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:05 pm

Neosmith wrote:Hey Gwendal!

Thanks a lot!

Yeah, I think Volumes 1 and 2 are definitely around somewhere. I recall now seeing the first two entries of Volume 3, but it's good to have them again nonetheless.

I'm going to be saving stuff a lot more from here on out, so we'll have this archived. Keep em coming!

No problem, and glad to hear about the archiving. I'm going to do this in a better way on my end too, and keep everything saved properly. So hopefully this stuff should be around for a while now regardless of the fate of any particular websites. Smile

Here are the next two parts too. And I just want to say again that I love how this forum doesn't have a length restriction. It's really inconvenient to have to split things like this up into 3-4 posts on sites like GameFAQs.

Planner/Quest Parts Director
    Takashi Fuji

Yeah, thanks. You're all going to buy the game, right...? Okay then, see you next week! â™️ª
    Bang! Crash! Slap!
    (Sounds of someone being beaten to within an inch of their life)
    Y, yes. Let's try again then. Hello, I'm Fuji, in charge of the quest parts of the game.

Right now, we''re doing the last sprint towards finishing up our development work. It's sort of a long sprint, though. In marathon terms, what we're doing is like running a 20km course as fast as we possibly can right from the start, so some faces among the staff are starting to turn red, blue, yellow and so on. One can also frequently witness scenes in the office with conversations being carried out in some language that's definitely not Japanese, but no one seems to mind. (It's okay! We're fine!)

You're asking about my work as a Planner? Hmm, well...it's hard to sum up this job in just a few words. With RPGs as just one example, there's script writing, game system design, map design, monster statuses, EXP distribution, managing data with [the right] tools...etc.

Since there are genres that have all this divergence, I'd ideally seek out people with skills and abilities in all those various fields. And since I think people with those skills also tend to have experience and a disposition towards hard work, I'd primarily like them to be bold and come knock on Monolith Soft's doors.
    Slap! You're recruiting willy-nilly again, aren't you! Huh!
    (No response. Just like a regular corpse.)

Um, in any case, we keep working as hard as we can no matter how hectic it gets, since "wanting the person who plays our game to be happy" is our number one priority. Nothing compares to the excitement of playing a great game, or the sense of accomplishment and invigorated feeling you get after finishing it. In my opinion, this is the privilege that comes with being a "gamer".  While wanting to experience – or rather, to share – that feeling, we keep striving towards our goal. So please just wait a short while longer until the release date.

Note:
    Any part of this text you might find inappropriate is nothing but a figment of Fuji's imagination. Please keep a close eye on him in the same mild way you would with a small animal.

Programmer/Event Programming Supervisor
    Katsunori Itai

Hello, everyone. My name is Itai, still in charge of polygon display and event display systems continuing on from Episode 1. Development on Episode 2 is getting close to the end, and we're just doing a little more polishing to make sure it lives up to your expectations.

My job mainly involves looking at a lot of event scenes while checking the display environment to make sure it's free of bugs. When I was working on the last game without knowing how the scenario went, I'd be so surprised my head and arms would abruptly drop down...

This time around (while wondering if it's going to be okay to release it in this state) I'm wondering if anything is going to drop again, while checking the scenes with great interest.

There are a lot of facial close-up shots in this game. I was worried whether they were going to stand out to much (especially the eyes), but it turned out not to be a problem. Since the eyes can be said [to be good enough] to reflect the character's heart (thanks to the modellers) , I felt like I was able to understand them while watching the event scenes.

Well then, in closing, please just wait a little longer until the [next chapter in the] steadily unfolding Xenosaga is released to the world.

Neosmith

Post by Neosmith on Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:55 pm

Thanks!

Good to have someone acknowledge the brisk development period. That, without a doubt, clearly hampered the final product.

Gwendal

Post by Gwendal on Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:12 pm

Here are two more parts. Yes, the last one is a bit strange...

Planner/Map Supervisor
    Masahiro Kabe [Unlike the rest, his name seems to be written in Western order already]

All you Xeno fans from all over the world, hello. I've been working on maps for Episode 2, just like I did with the first game before it.

While I had some concerns about the problem of the maps' resource use this time around too, we were able to improve on some things from the last game and to move towards [more] compression at an early stage. Due to this, we were probably able to have maps that followed the concepts closely in the actual game, and to divide up the marks [seems to be what it's saying, but doesn't make much sense to me]. In my opinion, the graphics are lovely compared to the last game too.

The mini-games in the last game were a result of the free style of play in that game. On the other hand, Episode 2 has a variety of time axes, going from town to town, town to dungeon, and we've inserted many kinds of gameplay into this structure.  Things like the Segment [Address] search and robot assembly from the previous game are deeply intertwined with speedrun [?] elements, and we've also prepared other parts that can be played through leisurely.

We might possibly have prepared some kind of special map for those who play through all the way to the end too...?! Please do look forward to it. (And in any case, the maps for the parts everyone will play through have become bigger compared to the last game too...*strained smile*)

Right now, development has entered the final polishing stage, but this is still a very important job, and rather tough...
    Now that Episode 2 is mostly about tuning on the player side, I think might be able to present it to you all [soon], so please wait for it with anticipation. ♪

Planner/Responsible for Quest Parts
    Seiichiro Nakahara

Nice to meet you, everyone. My name is Nakahara, and I'm in responsible for dungeon design and implementation.

Just like life in general, games also have peaks and valleys. The deeper the valley, the more emotional you get when you manage to climb out of it and reach the peak.
    My work on "Xenosaga"

has been precisely like digging deeper and deeper into such a valley. We have been digging harder and harder in order to give all of you a more satisfying emotional experience.
    Currently, I'm spending my days doing my utmost to chase you all with monsters, to lie in wait for you next to pitfalls, to drag you into a labyrinth. And after the game is released, I imagine many of you falling foul of my traps, while I'll spend my nights snickering at your misfortune.

Yes, when the release date arrives, we will be one step closer to the completion of our labyrinth.  The blade of the guillotine will be sharpened, the mythical beasts will be freed, and the actors will pour their hearts into practicing their agonized death screams.
    As the release day dawns, you will all assemble to go and purchase "Xenosaga". Please do.

From the bottom of our hearts, all of us scoundrels here wait for you all to do just that.

Gwendal

Post by Gwendal on Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:48 pm

Next part:

Designer/Resposible for events
    Syuichi Murata

Hello, everyone. I'm still responsible for event movies, continuing on from the last game. With this new game, EP2, I'm mainly responsible for all the lighting and effects.

...which is to say that I'll be writing some comments from that point of view.

After the character designs changed to a more realistic style, I tried to aim for more natural and attractive lighting.

We've also improved the quality of the hardware-rendered effects, and we're using them lavishly in the movies as well. It's honestly moving to be able to use the actual hardware to bring back scenes we thought might be impossible to implement. Partly as a result of this, we also have many scenes that dynamically adjust effects based on display limitations. [A little unsure about this sentence, but it should be along those lines]

Flashy scenes are now even flashier. Tense scenes have a foreboding atmosphere.

In making this game, we're at the point where we're starting to finish many scenes, taking place from various viewpoints.

We're done soon, then...? Please enjoy the polished Xeno world [experience]!

Designer/Object Parts and Mecha Supervisor
    Atsushi Doumoto

As I'm writing this now, we're finally seeing the end of a long development period, and we're in the final sprint towards the finish line. Since my work in the middle of all this as a designer is coming to an end, it's proving to be a surprisingly relaxing climax. (The other parts were very hard, but...)

In terms of graphics for this game, we're now able to present the things designers want to include without changing them too much, since we've refined the tools and improved the graphics engine. It's quite an evolution compared to the previous game.

The number of OBJ-related polygons has been significantly reduced from the previous game, but due to the designers' hard work, it doesn't really show, and what we have is much more attractive than what was in the previous game in my opinion.

The event scenes are even better than I expected, and they're impressive enough that even the hardworking team who create them for us are excited.

I think we'll be able to put the game in your eager hands very soon now. Please wait just a little longer.

Neosmith

Post by Neosmith on Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:01 pm

Wow. That's a lot of entries in that volume. It's interesting how they keep hyping the game and comparing it to Episode 1 all the time.

Thanks, Gwendal. Keep 'em comin!

Gwendal

Post by Gwendal on Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:50 pm

And here's some more. A few parts I had a bit of a hard time making sense of, but hopefully it's not too far off the mark overall.

Designer/Map Supervision
    Eiji Takahashi

Hello everyone, I'm Eiji Takahashi, responsible for the map graphics. For this new game, we've done various adjustments and improvements to increase the quality of the maps in Episode 2.
    Since we had quite a few complaints that all the maps in Episode 1 were just boring hallways enclosed by walls, our first goal was to do something about this by having more varied locations, and striving to create more diverse maps.

I'm not saying that there wasn't any variety in the previous game, but in hindsight most of it had the same kind of feel, which led to monotony setting in, as well as maps that didn't really leave any lasting impression.
    With this in mind, we're paying close attention to how we implement light and shadows in this game. There's a clear sense of feeling the sunrays in the exterior maps, the interior maps have distinct light sources and shadows, bright areas are [properly] bright, dark areas are [properly] dark, and in my opinion all of this gives us maps with good variation.

There's also one more thing; maps with moving elements. Holo-monitors, signs and the like move in a variety of ways, and they have their parts to play in making living towns and interiors.
    You'll notice this right away in a comparison with the previous game. It's a significant evolution, and it's a bit of a shame it won't come through in new screenshots you might see in magazines and the like.

In my opinion, Episode 2 showcases the evolution of Xenosaga's graphics. It should be enjoyable both for those who love sci-fi and those who don't care for it at all, so please do look forward to it with anticipation.

Designer/Resposible for 2D Design
    Tadahiro Usuda

Hello, I'm Usuda, one of the designers. I'm mainly responsible for designing NPC-related characters, continuing on from the previous game.

"What kind of work do you do?"

I'm in what's usually called the "Character Design" section, and in addition to making my own designs, I contribute to discussions and help create early versions of the script. [Not sure about this one, lit.: "preparation final script", maybe some kind of technical term?]
    I also do costume design. These are my main tasks.

"My current work situation"

Now that I'm past the absolute busiest peak period, I...well, I'm secretly checking event scenes I've roughly put together, while also pressing my "child" (← that's a lie) into service, going so far as to let that gallant figure make sure the scene is okay with a minimum of effort (←my general-purpose way of doing things), while I just bow my head without saying anything to show my satisfaction.
    ...hmm, right, this kind of playful routine might look kind of strange to an outsider looking in. Yes.

"Highlights"

It goes without saying that we've scaled up everything to do with the video in general, but I'd like to ask you to take a look at some of the smaller details you might not notice too, such as the "sylish points" (!) that provide a sense of day and night. (Note: Warning! That quest will not make an appearance in this episode)

"Aren't you forgetting something?"

Yes, that's right, I've also been responsible for designing the main menu graphics. They're coming along nicely, along with the rest of the system screen overhaul. From a user perspective, there should be fewer small stress factors now, so please look forward to it!

Gwendal

Post by Gwendal on Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:15 am

Neosmith wrote:Wow. That's a lot of entries in that volume. It's interesting how they keep hyping the game and comparing it to Episode 1 all the time.

Thanks, Gwendal. Keep 'em comin!

Yeah, almost every comment seems to have lot of trash-talking about Episode 1 to promote the upcoming game. Same goes for this next one. (Will be back to two next time, but since there was just one left on that page, I thought I could get away with leaving it there this time. :P)

Designer/Responsible for Animation [lit.: "motion", but "animation"is so much more natural]
    Shinji Koide

Nice to meet you, everyone. My name is Koide, and I'm responsible for animations related to quests in this game.
    Hmm, so what should I write here, then? I really didn't expect I'd have to do anything like this. Since I'm not very good at this kind of thing, I thought I'd rather just go with "I don't really want to write anything". But then I decided I should give it a try after all. [Not exactly sure about this part, but it should be along those lines]
    (I'm more worried about this than actually creating animations...)

So I'd like to talk a little about what I do when making quest part animations. The EP2 animatiors are mainly divided into three teams: events, battles and quests. On the quest parts animation team, our main job is to make the characters walk, run, nod, talk, be happy, angry...well, in other words, we work hard day and night to make them do the sort of everyday gestures you all use in real life. (In between, we also make them do some peculiar things, and some special things I can't mention here.)

Compared to the animations in EPI, these things, those things, those other things, which things??, they're all powered up in EP2!! [Yes, this sentence is just as strange in the original]
    So please do take a close look at the animation.

Right now we're doing a quality upgrade, and I'm enjoying it both mentally and phyiscally.
    I'm almost done now [but just one more thing]. That fact that we've been able to accomplish the things we've done, through hard times and tough times, is because I listened to songs by a singer I'm very fond of...no, it's not. It's thanks to everyone's hard work and cooperation.

In any case, this is a very important time, and we'll do our utmost to make sure EP2 turns out to be a great game.

Is this good enough for my commentary, then??? I guess so, sure.

Neosmith

Post by Neosmith on Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:18 am

Nice! These posts show a certain optimism and confidence in E2. It's sad in hindsight as to how much they downgraded everything.

Gwendal

Post by Gwendal on Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:02 pm

Starting volume 5:

Music Composer/Resposible for Events
    Yuki Kajiura

I'm very happy to be responsible for the music in Xenosaga Episode 2. When I tried playing the first game, I was captivated by the unique setting and charming characters, and it was very enjoyable to get the chance to compose the songs one by one, almost like playing around in the Xenosaga world.

During the period I was composing, they showed me a few scenes, and they were just as beautiful...and I wondered what kind of music should playing during these scenes, overflowing with "their" emotions. I took a little bit of inspiration from the sense of realism found in movies, but the music shouldn't get in the [player's] way either...this music I nervously composed while my heart trembled, this music representing my vision of "Xenosaga's" outer space. To help every player ever so slightly along in enjoying this world. That is all I'm praying for.

The actual composition work is already finished, but seeing the end makes me feel sad. Like I just want to create a little more. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished work, from the bottom of my heart.

Programmer
    Takemi Matsumoto

Hello. My name is Takemi Matsumoto, and I'm a programmer. Continuing on from the previous game, Episode 1, I'm [responsible for] moving player and enemy characters around the field, destroying objects and things like that.

Hmm, here's a few thoughts I've had playing RPGs lately...

In the old days, games would tell the player things like "please go somewhere to find X and bring it back," and the response would be "Yeah! I'm going on an adventure!". But these days, in the winter of my thirties, it's turned into something more like "Eh, I guess I can check off an objective if I go there? Sure.".

When you're thinking like this, instead of enjoying the flow of the story, it all turns into a chore to be mindlessly finished. You'll find yourself wondering if you've turned into some old man, if the game is just some mannerism, asking yourself the same questions over and over, and I also asked myself the same questions over and over while working on Episode 2.

Maybe I'm taking this logic to its extremes, but if you classify this, you might be looking at the prototypical RPG. However, the graphical improvements might draw your eyes and turn the attention away from this.

The map graphics, animations, effects and so on might very well be among the strongest seen even on the PS2. Instead of calling it a "game", "visual work"

might be a better term.

And in the same way, EP2 definitely has quite a few movie sequences, as its [something, not sure about this word] part.
    Generally speaking, if you were a fan of the previous game, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

To put it another way, in a certain sense this is the ultimate software to be "watched". I hope it'll be appreciated both by those who usually don't play RPGs, and those who play nothing but epic RPGs.

Post by Guest on Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:45 pm

I always love to read Ms. Kajiura's thoughts on Xenosaga! She has long been one of my favourite composers, and it warms my heart every time I see her enthusiasm for Xenosaga. She's a proper fangirl! Perhaps that's why her music was so remarkably fitting-- even more so than her usual works in other media!

Gwendal

Post by Gwendal on Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:59 am

Continuing on:

Designer/Low-detail Character Modelling Supervisor
    Hikaru Takami

I'm Takami, and I'm responsible for mid-level characters.

We were given two requirements for creating characters for this game. First, we needed to make them "more realistic", and second, we needed to cut the polygon count and texture memory footprint in half.
    So, like we did with the previous game, we came up with models that could be used for the quest parts, quest events, battles, movie events and everything else.
    We were worried about the restrictions and costs, but in the end we probably managed to do more than on the previous game with fewer people, so I'm a bit surprised we actually made it this far. (Smile)

I'm always eager to go on about game characters, and for this game we've created a lot of facial expressions, and we've also given the characters moving eyeballs. I don't think we could have achieved this without all the help we've had from the programmers and designers, though. I'm very grateful to them. Thank you very much.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing how they'll use the characters in the future.

By the way, we've also included a little bonus on the character side for you all to enjoy. Please look forward to it!

Designer/Responsible for Maps
    Takafumi Hori [Think it's this way around, looks like GameFAQs credits him as "Takashi" for some reason]

Nice to meet you. I'm Hori, responsible for the maps. We're making the maps more varied than in the previous game, so I think you'll find them enjoyable [to explore].

We've made you wait a long time, but with everyone's assistance, I think we'll be able to ship the game soon. Please look forward to it.

Please keep enjoying Xenosaga after this, too.

Neosmith

Post by Neosmith on Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:46 pm

Wow. Now this is new - Takami's post here really explains why the character models were both up/down-graded.

So they had fewer people and needed to cut the polygon count and texture memory footprint in half.

Thanks a lot, man!

Gwendal

Post by Gwendal on Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:35 pm

Finishing up volume 5 this time:

Designer/Responsible for Animation
    Eiichirou Kabe

Helloo, I'm Kabe, responsible for battle animations.

When I heard they wanted some commentary from us, I was like, "Yeah! Hmm, where should I begin?"

But when I thought about it some more, I realized that the things I wanted to write about the most involved many secret elements, so I couldn't really write about them properly...so what to do, what to do...

So instead of not writing anything at all, I'll try to tell you a bit about some of our changes from EP1.

*The tempo is better...isn't it?
    In the last game, characters would move, then stop, attack, then stop...this resulted in sluggish battles. In this game, our goal has been that "once the characters start moving, they're not stopping until they're done!", and having them move more fluidly. We've also tried to bridge the gap between one character ending their action and another starting their next one, making it so the key input is accepted more quickly. This means that if you press the button rapidly, the characters will act and attack the enemies rapidly.

*The more you use your head, the better?
    Just like in the previous game, you can still defeat the enemies just by fighting normally. But if this doesn't do it for you, we've also added a system that lets you defeat them in an easier way if you use your head. For example, you can defeat the first boss in about 3-4 turns after you start attacking if you use this system...
    You can set up your own flow of attacks and string them all together to deal a magnificent amount of damage!! And feel great while defeating the enemies!
    (By the way, if you do well, you can deal more than 10 times the usual amount of damage)

There's all kinds of various things like this to talk about, but this will get way too long if I keep writing like this, so I think I'll stop here.

As a final note, we do still have the combining robots! I wonder how you'll all feel about the robots in this game once you get to see them...I'm very interested in finding out! Let's hope it won't be like, "UgaaaaaaaaaaaAH, what's this supposed to be...!"

(I look forward to seeing your reaction anyway)

Designer/Events Effects Supervision
    Hiroshi Matsuyama

My name is Matsuyama, and I'm responsible for event scene effects.

On the last game, I worked hard to create effects like KOS-MOS shooting beams from her abdomen, MOMO's transformations and Shion's thrown kisses, grinning all the while. For this game, I've been creating effects like the landing craft gating out in the beginning, various auras and some effects used in the background, not grinning quite as much but still working just as hard.

Please look forward to the rough and playful EP2.

Gwendal

Post by Gwendal on Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:57 pm

And starting on number 6:

Planner/Responsible for Quests
    Koji Hayashi

Nice to meet you. I'm Hayashi, the guy who comes up with all those stupid designs.

For this game, I was responsible for the towns, among other things. If you were to ask what kinds of things I've been working on with the towns...well, that's actually really hard! [Not exactly sure if he's talking about the work or the question]

As you might all know by now, I was responsible for this game in general being on a grand scale. (And of course, I also did a bit of this and a bit of that on the previous game.)

...and as you might now, I'll have to keep the specifics a secret for now. Still, what I'm working on now would be [your] impressions of EP2, for one thing.

...nah, I think you'll all be surprised, since this is going to be an amazing game.

[That goes for] the movies and the battles, not to mention the quest sequences our team have been working on. No matter which part you look at, the excitement never stops! Everything flows marvellously together as a [single] harmonious melody. Actually, even I found myself exclaiming "

Can the game really be this amazing....!?"

I'm laying the praise on a bit too thick here, I know, and I end up sounding like a pretentious idiot. But still, whenever I look at the almost-finished game, I find that I can't help singing our own praises!!

So anyway, I think we'll be able to put the game in your hands very soon now, so please just wait a little longer!

Planner/Responsible for Quests
    Hiroshi Konishi

Hello to all of you fans out there, waiting eagerly and with sleepless nights for the release of EP2. My name is Konishi, and I'm responsible for creating map layouts.

You'll find that the maps in this game will let you "see more" and "play around more", compared to the previous game. I'd also like you to pay attention to the camera as you move around the maps. Compared to the previous game, there's been a remarkable improvement in the variety of perspectives it can show. Since the camera is a colorless and transparent entity, it's hard to describe this properly with words, but nothing would make me happier than you getting the impression that the picture "somehow has more punch to it than before".

Hang on, hang on, there's just a little more to go until we're done now! If you could [imagine] see[ing] the encouragement of all of us on the staff in double exposure behind the screen while playing, it'd make all of us happy.

All of you sleepless fans out there, I know you'll soon be facing more sleeplessness as you'll want to play on to find out what happens next, so please look forward to the game with anticipation.

Gwendal

Post by Gwendal on Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:15 pm

A few more. Interesting to read about them using temporary, internal voice tracks.

Designer/Animator
    Toshihiro Hatanaka

My name is Hatanaka, responsible for event movie animations and camera work.

On the video side of things, the event movies in this game feel closer to live action in terms of camera work compared to the previous game. On the animation side, the characters are much more expressive due to things like [improved] lip-synch facial animations.  When we were in the middle of development, we had an unfinished version of EP2 with our own voices temporarily put in, and even then chaos still felt like "chaos", Margulis felt like "Margulis", and so on. Of course that was edited out of the final version...even if I would have liked to see it included.

We also included support for 5.1ch sound, so as long as you have the correct set-up, you can enjoy the added immersion and great sound. We'd absolutely recommend you do that for the best possible experience. It's totally different from stereo sound.
    Personally, I wanted to record the video in vista size, but that might be something for the next game...?

Well then, I hope you'll enjoy EP2.

Designer/Animator
    Sayaka Akihira

Hello, I'm Akihira, a battle animator. While I'm kind of wondering if it's okay for someone like me to be writing these comments, they did give me this chance to contribute a few words.

This job on EP2 has been my first time taking part in the development of a game, so I've been very, very nervous, but now the end is finally in sight. I've been responsible for enemy animations in battle, so I wanted "make some really cool animations!", but I feel like I've somehow ended up making something laughable instead...(pained laugh)

Lately I've had the chance to playtest the game, and while I've also been enjoying the story, there's a lot to dig into in order to fully complete all the other events (quests). Battles in particular are strategic and full of fine-grained controls, even the same enemy isn't necessarily easy to defeat [every time], and strong enemies require some thought. They're also much faster, so you can rapidly bring out attacks, and with the new battle system there are new [skill] points you can win. Trying to end the battle decisively in a single attack works well, saving up points works well, and I think it's fun to try various things.

We should be able to bring you the game very soon now, so please wait for it with anticipation. Bye bye...

Gwendal

Post by Gwendal on Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:39 pm

Getting close to the end of volume 6 now.

Designer/Responsible for Maps
    Yuuki Era

Everyone, nice to meet you. My name is Era, and I was [one of those] responsible for maps in this game. I joined [Monolith] starting with this game, EP2, and I feel I had an enjoyable time working on it.
    This game takes place against a full-blown SF backdrop, and in the beginning, I had a hard time with various things...it was especially challenging to make things feel real (like the kind of scenery you'd really see in the future). It'd make me happy if you let your eyes be drawn to the backgrounds in the game. Even if I doubt you'll really have the time to stand around doing that. (Smile)

In any case, I think we've managed to produce a fun game. We should be getting close to the day when we can put it in your hands now, probably just a little longer to wait, so please do look forward to it.

Designer/Responsible for 2D Design
    Youhei Kikuchi

Nice to meet you. I joined this project during the second half of development, when the design work was almost done, so it's a bit difficult for me to comment on my work. Still, I did also contribute a little on the maps. Specifically, I designed things like the billboards, and [some of] the buildings.

This has more or less been my first experience in working on a game. While there were some rough spots, I had the chance to discover new things, and being able to take experimental designs and put them into practice made for stimulating work. Rather than saying it was a slog, I'd say I had a good time [all in all]. Consequently, I'm the happiest of all to be able to witness the release of the first game I contributed to (even if it was just a little...).

If I can say this as someone who almost feels more like a user rather than one of the developers, this new game, Episode 2, will draw fans right into the world from the austere opening movie onwards. And I think even those who aren't already fans will find it very enjoyable.

Finally, now that the end is in sight, I should be able to go soak in a hot spring soon and take it easy. I can't wait!

Thank you very much.
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime on Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:48 pm

Thanks for continuing with these, Gwendal! When I get the chance, I want to get thesee up on the wiki, with your permission of course.

"There is no growth without birth.  Without a foothold in the past, we cannot walk toward the future.  Get thee gone, darkness!"

Current date/time is Tue May 22, 2018 5:54 am