Xeno Fannage!

Completion Times and Speedruns (Ep.3 in 4:33:25! [Vid])

BlueMetal

Completion Times and Speedruns (Ep.3 in 4:33:25! [Vid])

Post by BlueMetal on Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:36 am

Speedrunning Xenosaga here: http://www.twitch.tv/bluem3tal (Offline)

One thing that's fun to talk about with RPGs like these is clear times! Any of the three games. What were your times for when: you first beat the game, your fastest time, 100% completed time, etc.

I myself haven't completed any of the games 100% (All side quests and hidden bosses, and bonus gear/items collected), but I've beaten them a number of times and have even attempted speed running to get some more replay value out of them.

So to get a little bit of a discussion going, I'll post my times!

Episode 1
    First playthrough - ~32 hours
    100% completion - Haven't done it yet. Sad
    Fastest time - 4:17:42 ([url=http:/www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5RNcPEwez62SY5_4Aj_OGlWAy_tEwegh]I have a video series on this if interested[/url]) There is a Japanese player who has 3:43:00, which I intend on beating when I can get my PS2 to play Japanese games. There definitely is a huge time difference just due to the languages' text. Here is the Japanese player's notes that I based my run off of with some changes.

Episode 2
    First playthrough - ~26 hours
    100% completion - Haven't done it yet, not sure if I intend to.
    Fastest time - Didn't give it much effort yet, but I tried to play through the game quickly while showing my buddy the scenes for the story, getting 21:54:26. I hear the game was beaten in just about 5 hours though for speed running.

Episode 3
    First playthrough - ~43 hours
    100% completion - 29:57:16. Watched a lot of scenes, skipped a lot also.
    Fastest time - 4:33:25 - The newest speedrun I've completed. The fastest time I'm aware of, but I can still push it further. Next goal is under 4:30, maybe even under 4:20 depending on strategies.

I know speed running a series as story-intensive as this seems silly, but as I said, it helps add some replay value to me. So I also encourage speed run strategy discussions as well!

The main strategy for Episode 1 is to basically abuse the hell out of AGWS. All you need to do is just sell items and get the 72k email, and upgrade your AGWS as much as possible and use only W-ACTable weapons. You kill everything. :biggrin2: I don't know any strategies for Episode 2, but I'm going to work on speed running Episode 3 next. As far as I know, you'll want to get the first Erde Kaiser and abuse him. Swimsuits give you a lot of bonus luck, which means tons of crits! Though I'm not sure what the second half of the game will be like. Routing it will be interesting!

Last edited by 137 on Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:02 am; edited 11 times in total

Episode 1 (English) - 4:17:42
    Episode 1 (JP HDD) - 3:33:XX
    Episode 2 - Will run eventually!
    Episode 3 - 4:33:25
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Re: Completion Times and Speed Runs

Post by katimus_prime on Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:04 am

Oh wow, this is a cool thread! I've never tried to really speed-run anything before (in fact, I kinda take pride sometimes in running out the max timer with max levels). This is something I think I'd be interested in doing as soon as I got the time to, tho.

Good luck beating the Japanese player!

"There is no growth without birth.  Without a foothold in the past, we cannot walk toward the future.  Get thee gone, darkness!"
    RadicalDreamer

Post by RadicalDreamer on Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:19 pm

I never do speedruns either. I can't. I love taking my sweet time and enjoy the feel of the game (probably why I spent 80 hours on Xenosaga 3 the first time while you can easily finish it in 30 hours or so :biggrin2: ).
    Never got to play the fist two episodes for technical reasons... and because Episode 2 has such a bad rep (so to Youtube I went).
    Jintoki

Post by Jintoki on Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:54 pm

Xenosaga Episode I:
    I'm thinking I beat it 6 times, but it's actually been so long since I've played through it that I'm not 100% certain. I know the first time took me 50 ish hours.

Xenosaga Episode II:
    I beat it about 5 times. The quickest (for me) was a little over 20 hours. But I think it took me around 56 hours to finish all of the sidequests.

Xenosaga Episode III:
    I've only beaten it twice. My first file, I beat it in 64 hours, 18 minutes, and 58 seconds (not sure why I have that time memorized). But I still have my first file going strong at over 150 hours, trying my best to max out all of KOS-MOS's stats. My second file...I can't remember how long it took me, but I remember I tried to make it more difficult by only equipping weapons I found and not bought (which did increase the challenge in the game).

Post by BlueMetal on Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:57 am

@katimus_prime wrote:Oh wow, this is a cool thread!  I've never tried to really speed-run anything before (in fact, I kinda take pride sometimes in running out the max timer with max levels).  This is something I think I'd be interested in doing as soon as I got the time to, tho.  

Good luck beating the Japanese player!
    Thanks! I'm confident that I can do it, since I've made some modifications to the route that he did back in 2002. 'Bout time someone takes the new time right? My main problem at the moment is modchipping my PS2 to play JP games. But I won't get into that since mod-related stuff tends to be a no-no on many forums, haha. Speed running is definitely an interesting thing to try, but can also be frustrating if you're kind of a perfectionist. :blank2:

@RadicalDreamer wrote:I never do speedruns either. I can't. I love taking my sweet time and enjoy the feel of the game (probably why I spent 80 hours on Xenosaga 3 the first time while you can easily finish it in 30 hours or so  :biggrin2: ).
    Never got to play the fist two episodes for technical reasons... and because Episode 2 has such a bad rep (so to Youtube I went).
    I know how you feel. I loved watching speed runs for years, but never felt the need to try it until earlier this year with Xenosaga. Though instead of speed running, there's also always 'challenge' runs! Play the game a different way that makes it interesting. :pleased:

@Jintoki wrote:Xenosaga Episode I:
    I'm thinking I beat it 6 times, but it's actually been so long since I've played through it that I'm not 100% certain.  I know the first time took me 50 ish hours.

Xenosaga Episode II:
    I beat it about 5 times.  The quickest (for me) was a little over 20 hours.  But I think it took me around 56 hours to finish all of the sidequests.

Xenosaga Episode III:
    I've only beaten it twice.  My first file, I beat it in 64 hours, 18 minutes, and 58 seconds (not sure why I have that time memorized).  But I still have my first file going strong at over 150 hours, trying my best to max out all of KOS-MOS's stats.  My second file...I can't remember how long it took me, but I remember I tried to make it more difficult by only equipping weapons I found and not bought (which did increase the challenge in the game).
    Dang, 150 hours is a lot, haha. I think the only other RPG I've spent around that much time was my old Pokemon Ruby with about 200. I've thought about some sort of stat-maxing file, but I never went through with it. Maybe I'll do it on a 100% playthrough! Complete everything, get my time, then mess around trying to max out character stats.

Tehrin

Post by Tehrin on Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:26 pm

@RadicalDreamer wrote:I never do speedruns either. I can't. I love taking my sweet time and enjoy the feel of the game (probably why I spent 80 hours on Xenosaga 3 the first time while you can easily finish it in 30 hours or so  :biggrin2: ).

I always go around, talk to all the NPCs, and talk to them with different characters. I can't really just fly through it. D:

Episode II got me with all the stupid puzzles! ARRGGH.

xenolion
    Jin's Mistress

Post by xenolion on Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:43 pm

Kudos to you. I don't keep track of times I have beaten a game or the completion %. I am still grinding to get Jin's swimsuit on Ep2....grrrr of course the BEST reward is the hardest to get. For me games are all about the story, but at the same time I can appreciate those who test themselves in different ways. Whether is be speed runs, using only 1 character yada, yada, yada. Let us know if you do beat it!

[size=85:ik9t5l63]Set by the respective artists not me (siggy by xenOraf Hee hee)
    BlueMetal

Post by BlueMetal on Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:39 pm

Yeah I've always been one for adding challenge to games I've played through a million times. It gets pretty fun actually. :happy5:

Anyway I've been working on a 100% run through Xenosaga 3, and was trying to come up with some strategies for the speed run as I go. Getting Erde Kaiser original and Fury as soon as they're available help out a lot with their massive break damage (I might incorporate Ziggy/Jr./chaos in ways to have a 2/3 breaker party and one damager). But one thing that would be amazingly worth it is getting Erde Kaiser Sigma as early as possible. But I'm having so much trouble trying to beat him while lacking Dark Erde, haha. Once he puts up that shield meant for Dark, I'm screwed. Fire damage works, but is only vulnerable to that element.

Has anyone tried beating him without all three Erdes? I'm at the point where the Abel's Ark chapter just starts. And the person who ran this game with a bit over 6 hours says he takes like 20 minutes against Yuriev. If it's possible to get Sigma before then, that would save a ton of time against him and the remaining bosses. But I think I'm still too weak, especially without Dark Erde Kaiser. :dead3: I'm avoiding getting him because you have to beat Omega Id as well. Putting both hidden bosses together would waste too much time to be worth it.

Maybe post-Abel's Ark could still work, as long as you get Sigma before going too deep into Michtam. Since there's still some more on-foot bosses left.

BlueMetal

Post by BlueMetal on Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:47 am

Finally bothered to complete a 100% run of Episode 3. :nice: Got a time of 29:57:16. Though I did skip most of the scenes on disc 1 (Freakin' Shion), but I did watch basically all of disc 2's scenes. The story on that disc is just too epic to skip. So maybe my time could've been longer or shorter, but hey, 100%. And it's also my fastest time, haha. I should change that and complete a regular run and skip the scenes to see what I get. Grinding for Ziggy's final weapon didn't take as long as I thought, actually. Start a fight, kill one of them, then escape, and refight. Makes it quick and easy.

I'm gonna be doing some research on beating Episodes 2 and 3 quickly. Anyone who has done any low% or low-level runs have any tips for either game? Speed running RPGs typically play really similar to those. I've got some threads on SDA for some route info, but after the first few chapters, it gets hard to figure out since no one has routed either game that far, haha.

In other news though, I finally got the modchip ordered. :biggrin2: When it gets here, I'll solder it in, and I'll begin working on my Japanese Episode 1 speed run. I'll still be doing segmented runs primarily. Episode 1 can be ran single segment, but would require some route changes. It relies on getting some required rare drops. So a lot of runs could possibly die very far in just from not getting the drop I need. :blank2: I'll try to figure something out though to make it not so luck-dependent so far in.

BlueMetal

Post by BlueMetal on Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:08 am

Long time no update!

So my mom's little side business has been taking up the free space I was using to work on installing my slim PS2's modchip. So until that is freed up, I've been working on the Episode 3 speedrun! It's actually been very fun to think of strategies for the bosses at these lower levels, and picking out which items are worth it to buy/pick up.

My final time at the moment is 6:04:19. The last person who tried to run this game in '07/'08 on SDA had a best time of 6:18:42. So needless to say I'm quite happy with that time, and will continue to work on it, as that was only my second run. Plenty more changes and optimizations left. Sub-6 hours will not be difficult to get. :nice:

BlueMetal

Post by BlueMetal on Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:45 am

Sorry for the quadruple post, but I do have a genuine question for anyone who likes watching/reading my speedrun efforts.

I do have a Twitch.tv account, but I've only used it for games like Guitar Hero and Halo. I could also use it to stream my speedrun research and attempts of the Xenosaga games. Would anyone be interested in watching now and then? I wouldn't mind editing the thread title to say if my stream is online or not either. :nice: If anyone's interested, please let me know and I'd be glad to set it up. I also wouldn't mind arranging specific days where I'll do single-segment runs. (Runs with no stopping points. Start to finish)

Also, I re-ran the last two segments of Episode 3, getting an amazing Kevin fight and a good Zarathustra. Lowered the clear time to 6:01:18. I'd be glad to stream the progress of my third run if anyone's interested in watching! :biggrin2:

Edit: Completed my third run, getting 5:45:46! I knew I would get sub-6 hours with that run, but I didn't think I would absolutely crush it like that. And there's still lots of improvements to be made. I even forgot to steal the General's Bracelet from Yuriev to sell for more money, for more Skill Upgrade items. I may just go on with my idea of streaming my future runs. My fourth run I wouldn't mind starting and streaming sometime soon.

BlueMetal

Re: Completion Times and Speedruns (Ep. 3 in 5:46:45!)

Post by BlueMetal on Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:29 pm

Sorry that I'm posting alone in this thread a lot, but I'm going to stream some routing and segment run attempts if anyone wants to watch! I won't bump this thread every time I stream it don't worry, but I will at least update the title whether or not the stream is up.

Here is my Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/bluem3tal

BlueMetal

Re: Completion Times and Speedruns (Ep.3 in 5:09:34!)

Post by BlueMetal on Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:51 am

Holy moly. I didn't think a change in boss battle strats would've saved me that much time. Cleared the game in 5:09:34! I bet this game can get under 5 hours with more effort and optimization. It's crazy how low I've gotten the time from my original goal of 6:30, thinking sub-6 hours would've been difficult. I'm quite happy with this and plan to get it down lower, with a full run put up on YouTube.

Here's a video of the Zarathustra fight from this run. :nice:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WONvB1O4o30

BlueMetal

Re: Completion Times and Speedruns (Ep.3 in 4:33:25! [Vid])

Post by BlueMetal on Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:06 am

Greetings friends! Sorry for being away for so long. Real life slapped me in the face, and other games have grabbed my attention.

But, I managed to finish another speedrun of Episode 3 with more changes in strategy, with more things discovered for the next run I do. My new fastest time for this game is 4:33:25.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5gS9UqulhI
    (Uploaded on my old YT channel that was previously meant for Guitar Hero)

Current date/time is Tue May 22, 2018 5:47 am