Xeno Fannage!

Xeno fanworks theme challenge?

Tehrin

Xeno fanworks theme challenge?

Post by Tehrin on Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:50 pm

EDIT (10/3) HERE IT IS! http://xeno100.tumblr.com/

Seeing as the Xeno fandom has been slowly fizzling out, I was thinking that it might be fun to have a sort of challenge to create some more fan art, fan fiction, and comics (if anyone would be willing to take on the latter). I was wondering if anyone might be interested in doing this. :3

Essentially, it would be like a 100-theme writing challenge, where there would be a list of prompts and you would create some sort of xeno-related content based upon that prompt. Then it would be submitted to a site which would showcase it in kind of a fancy way. I was thinking something along the lines of a xeno-series English anthrology, but I think approaching it from a theme challenge might be more practical.

Here's the ideas I have for it:

- All content must be new for the challenge. You can't submit prior fiction or drawings. However, you're free to do whatever you wish with your creations after submitted. (Sell prints of your submitted art artist alley tables for example). If you post it online, it'd be cool if you promoted the challenge.

- List of prompts, Interested people could probably vote on a set of prompts. You do not need to do all the prompts. If you can only submit one fanwork based on a prompt, that's fine! If you want to complete the full set, that's great too! Whatever you are able to do! The point is to make more new stuff for everyone to enjoy!

- Content searchable by prompt, character, series, format, and artist/author.

- Must be Xeno (gears, saga, blade). No crossovers. Alternate Universes are fine though.

- You can submit as little as one item to as much as you'd like. The only requirement is that each piece be presentable (spell/grammar checked for writing, clean sketches minimum for artwork).

- You can submit both fiction and artwork. Whatever you'd like! For artwork, any media is fine! Traditional, Digital, 3-D. If anyone wants to submit AMV's based on prompts that would be cool too!

- Comics for those that would like to do them: a minimum of 4 panels or 1 page, to a maximum of about 24 pages. Just to keep it shorter. At minimum, comics need to be clean pencil drawings with clearly legible dialogue. You can of course make a beautiful full-color comic if you'd like! I'll probably make some page templates for comics so they're all uniform for displaying online. 4komas will be accepted too! (4-panel funny comics)

- Content: No specific guidelines I think, but nothing overly explicit, violent/gory, and of course nothing that would be considered illegal.

- Deadline? I think having a deadline to submit content and get the site online would be nice. Perhaps perks for people who do submit content for the deadline, like a nicer profile page or some other kind of perk. But people can submit things as long as they'd like.

Anyway this would all be on a seperate site. I'd like to make a really nice website for it so that people can browse everything, learn more, and submit their own contributions.

Last edited by 87 on Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
    stitchedmoon

Re: Xeno fanworks theme challenge?

Post by stitchedmoon on Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:23 am

Sounds like fun! I'm interested. :333

katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime on Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:00 am

Oh wow, that really sounds awesome, Rin! As for the presentation format, what did you have in mind? Like, an image-heavy blog or something powered by tumblr or blogspot? Is there an existing prompt list we're going to go off of? As for deadlines, most of those writing challenges are something like one-prompt-per-day, but would it do to go more of a one-prompt-per-week?

"There is no growth without birth.  Without a foothold in the past, we cannot walk toward the future.  Get thee gone, darkness!"
    Tehrin

Post by Tehrin on Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:21 am

I was thinking something like a site run by a wordpress backend. That way it would be easy to tag and search based on the content of each submission. I know of some pluggins already that could be tweaked to work really well for this and people who are participating can have their own profile pages and what not.  People can submit their stuff, and we will post it there either by links (people could put their stuff up on fanfiction.net / deviantart / their own sites), and then we can post artwork on the site itself maybe?

I sat down and figured out the logistics:
    - 100 theme prompt list.
    - A list of different challenges people can sign up to do. Different challenges for the amount of time the person has to dedicate to each.  People can sign up to do as many as they like. Or take on one after another if they wish.

Here's the list I came up with!

Varied Format (art, fiction, comics and/or a combination of both):

Lite Mode:
    Choose 5 prompts and create whatever you'd like, whenever you can!

Once Per Month:
    Choose 12 prompts and create 12 complete, polished pieces each month for a year.

Once A Week:
    Choose 52 prompts and create a complete, polished piece each week for a year.

100 Day Challenge:
    Create a new piece every day for 100 days (minium of 500 words or clean sketches)

Artwork Challenges:

3 Prompts, 3 months:
    Create full-color, full-sized illustrations, one per month. (minimum of 8.5x11 / 300 DPI or 8x10 traditional illustration.

One Fanart a Week:
    Create 12 full-color, full-sized illustrations, one per week. (minimum of 8.5x11 / 300 DPI or 8x10 traditional illustration.

A sketch a Day – 30
    Create 1 clean sketch per day, every day for 1 month

A sketch a Day – 100
    Complete all Prompts

Writing Challenges

Drabble a Day - 30
    Choose 30 prompts and write at least 500 words based on each prompt one per day.

Drabble a Day - 100
    Complete all prompts and write at least 500 words based on each prompt one per day.

1 fic, 3 months
    Choose a prompt as your theme and write a new fanfiction in 3 months that is at least 25,000 words long. (about 5,000 words per chapter and 5 chapters long)

Longfic Challenge
    Choose a prompt as your theme and write a new fanfiction in 6 months that is at least 50,000 words long. (about 5,000 words per chapter and 10 chapters long)

Epicfic Challenge
    Choose one prompt or theme for each chapter, while still tying your story together seamlessly. Write at least 100,000 words in one year. (about 20 chapters long with about 5,000 words per chapter)

Comic Challenges:

4Koma a week:
    Make one 4-panel funny comic each week for 3 months (12 prompts)

Doujinshi Challenge:
    Create a 6 to 24 page fan comic in 1 month using a prompt. (Minimum of 6 complete polished color pages. 8-16 pages lineart and greyscale/tones. 18-24 pages clean sketches)

Post by Guest on Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:23 am

I love this idea!! I think about the lack of Xenofanworks a lot, and this would be a great thing to stimulate it. Count me in!
    kare_reiko
    Donator

Post by kare_reiko on Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:22 am

Nice idea, I'm very bad for challenges like that because I can't make myself to work on things every day or every something (my dairies always has 5 entries and then I lost focus XDD)
    But I had some idea for looong time for xenosaga, maybe with other type of coloring I will be able to do it and submit here Smile

Such a moment of such peace...
    Tehrin

Post by Tehrin on Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:24 am

@kare_reiko wrote:Nice idea, I'm very bad for challenges like that because I can't make myself to work on things every day or every something (my dairies always has 5 entries and then I lost focus XDD)
    But I had some idea for looong time for xenosaga, maybe with other type of coloring I will be able to do it and submit here Smile
    There would be a challenge that just involves picking 5 themes and finishing them when you can in any medium. I know I'm usually pretty bad for challenges like that myself. Namely it's there for those people and for people who don't have as much time on their hands and would like to contribute!

Would anyone like to contribute to some challenge prompts/themes? I've got a list of almost 100 (I keep adding and subtracting them). Trying to find themes that would apply well to all games and allow for a variety with different characters is proving to be a little difficult (especially when I'm bad and haven't played gears or blade yet despite having them lol). XD
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime on Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:12 am

Hmm, I like the idea of a wordpress setup. :3 Were you thinking of hosting it through Wordpress itself or your own hosting service? (I actually like the idea of it being decentralized. Once the challenge is over, it can be documented in hard code here, tho. I've actually wanted a way to set up an Omake section here, but I've been so busy with work and just keeping this place functional that I haven't had time for it.)

Let's see this list!! :D I wanna help!

"There is no growth without birth.  Without a foothold in the past, we cannot walk toward the future.  Get thee gone, darkness!"
    Tehrin

Post by Tehrin on Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:23 am

@katimus_prime wrote:Hmm, I like the idea of a wordpress setup.  :3  Were you thinking of hosting it through Wordpress itself or your own hosting service?  (I actually like the idea of it being decentralized.  Once the challenge is over, it can be documented in hard code here, tho.  I've actually wanted a way to set up an Omake section here, but I've been so busy with work and just keeping this place functional that I haven't had time for it.)

Let's see this list!!  Very Happy  I wanna help!

I've got hosting! But my poor short and cute domain is going to expire and godaddy isn't doing .nu domain registrations any longer. So.... I'm considering buying a new domain if I can't grab it up again from nunames on the 4th. I think I might just do a subdomain on my own site rather that a seperate domain. But I can probably work out a nice design for it until then. Smile

Okay here's my list in progress! I think there might be duplicates/simular words in here. I haven't really gone through and checked that yet. Razz

A new beginning    
    Pain    
    For better or worse    
    Madness / Insanity    
    Memories
    Abandoned
    Parents
    Honor
    Restlessness
    Friendship
    Unrequited Love
    Battle-worn
    Suprise
    Escape
    Disaster
    Mercy
    Don't say it
    Death
    Birth
    Frozen
    Too hot
    Denied
    Role-reversal
    Time
    Family
    Ether
    Weapon
    Past
    In the Present
    Future
    Human
    Machine
    Nowhere
    Childhood
    Forgiveness
    Letting Go
    Laughter
    Tears
    Regret
    That’️s cute
    Emotion
    Night and Day    
    Goodbye    
    Reunion    
    Fall    
    Corrupt    
    The simple things    
    Smile
    Terror
    Eulogy    
    Hope    
    Greatest Fear    
    In Another Life
    Labyrinth
    Darkness
    Underdressed
    Nevermind
    Illness    
    Wounded    
    Shame    
    42%
    Apology
    Swimsuit    
    Gift    
    Affection    
    Battle    
    Heartache
    Hard lesson
    Flight
    Cruel
    Too big
    Scandalous
    Prank
    Middle of Nowhere
    Grow Apart
    Growing Up
    Under the surface
    Guns-a-blazing
    Vacation
    I can't
    Alone
    Game
    Survival
    Sleep
    Nightmare
    Searching
    What could have been
    Rivalry
    Monster
    Bad hair day
    Secret
    Mystery
    Insomnia
    Proposal
    Not enough money
    One Last Time
    Fade Away
    Around the corner
    Miraclous
    Happy Ending
    RadicalDreamer

Post by RadicalDreamer on Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:02 pm

@Tehrin wrote:What could have been

I'm afraid we can't remake Xenosaga or Xenogears.
    Okay, bad joke.

Seriously, this is a very nice idea. I get a bit depressed too when I see how little Xeno fanworks are produced these days (and I'm still mourning the fact that Dakkun has stopped doing fanarts and erased his/her website  :cry2: ... one of the best artist the fandom had). I don't know if I can participate myself. If I find the time and inspiration, maybe I will.
    Tehrin

Post by Tehrin on Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:28 pm

Dakkun's (kazuo) still around! I found him on tumblr! http://dakkun39.tumblr.com/ But it doesn't look like he's doing Xeno art anymore and moved onto other fandoms. But I still really love his artwork!
    kare_reiko
    Donator

Post by kare_reiko on Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:37 am

@Tehrin wrote:Dakkun's (kazuo) still around! I found him on tumblr! http://dakkun39.tumblr.com/ But it doesn't look like he's doing Xeno art anymore and moved onto other fandoms. But I still really love his artwork!

It's nice that you find him! It's sad that he don't make Xenoarts anymore, I loved many of his artworks.

Such a moment of such peace...
    RadicalDreamer

Post by RadicalDreamer on Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:35 pm

@Tehrin wrote:Dakkun's (kazuo) still around! I found him on tumblr! http://dakkun39.tumblr.com/ But it doesn't look like he's doing Xeno art anymore and moved onto other fandoms. But I still really love his artwork!
    *scream* THANK YOU ! I thought I would never find his work anymore ! I didn't just love him for Xeno but also because he's such a great artist, period. Totally following him.

Post by Guest on Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:09 pm

I'm down for this! I haven't participated in anysort of community art "challenge" in a while so this could be fun!

When will you start taking submissions?
    Tehrin

Post by Tehrin on Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:24 pm

@RadicalDreamer wrote:
    *scream* THANK YOU ! I thought I would never find his work anymore ! I didn't just love him for Xeno but also because he's such a great artist, period. Totally following him.

You're welcome! :3 I was shocked when I saw one of his pictures show up on my tumblr dashboard and then recognized the name. FOLLOW! Very Happy

c'mere wrote:I'm down for this! I haven't participated in anysort of community art "challenge" in a while so this could be fun!

When will you start taking submissions?

I'm going to work on the website itself tomorrow since it's my day off! I'll hopefully have it online that evening. I need to see if I can get my domain back or not first. Mad If not, I'll plop it on one of my other domains for the time being and then have it up this weekend!

If anyone would like to just throw a bunch of words into the mix for the time being, feel free! I'm going to go over the list shortly and edit it. Smile
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime on Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:12 pm

D-dakkun actually followed my art blog after I followed him. /faints

It sucks about .nu names being hard to register. For years, I've kinda coveted one, but could never afford it. Good luck!!!!

After going through the prompts list (which Notepad++ tells me there are indeed 100), we could stand to add:
    Rule 63 (Gender Swap)

...that's all I could think of for now. orz
    Though I have no idea what 42% means. ^^

Tehrin

Post by Tehrin on Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:54 pm

I just decided to stick it on Tumblr. I was thinking about it last night, and I think the submitting process is pretty easy there, plus I can give an option for submitting for people that don't have a tumblr account. (I don't remember if it takes anons or not herpaderp)

I'm just editing up the list a little bit and then I think it'll be ready to go. Surprised

I added the rule 63. I don't know how I forgot about that!

43% could be anything. For example, "Shion, my appearance is down by 43% wtf are you doing!?" or "There's only 43% oxygen left in this escape pod! We'll never make it!"
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime on Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:57 pm

Wootwoot!

Hey man, whatever works! Tumblr is an excellent platform for user submissions and easy to categorize and recategorize. At the very least, people could email you submissions if they didn't feel like tumblring?

Post by Guest on Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:30 pm

I think tubmlr is a fine n' dandy option for the blog. It's where most fandom-related activity happens so, I think it'll be easier to gain notoriety and such with those tags and reblogs and all.
    stitchedmoon

Post by stitchedmoon on Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:56 am

Eeeee, this is exciting~! Everything sounds good to me. |3 (I'm glad to see the xeno-fandom coming back to life on tumblr, also.)

Tehrin

Post by Tehrin on Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:20 am

I know right? Anything instead of andriod porn. u_u

I'm trying to figure out what challenge I'd like to do. I do have a cute comic in mind. But I might do the 1 illustration a week for a month thing for the time being.

Post by Guest on Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:51 am

Umm Hi Very Happy i'm new.. actually I made an account because of this post... XD so... yeah

I just wanted to say that I LOVE Xenosaga and Xenogears -Still I'm more fond on Xenosaga- AND I was really happy to find about this challenge... and I just want to tell you a couple of things, first, that xD i'm not very good at challenges at all... BUT I believe that these series are way too awesome to be forgotten :/ more people should know about it... SO I hope I can help in some way... actually I watched some Xenosaga vids some days ago and I was thinking that I wanted to draw something about it, possible post it on deviantart or tumblr.. or both, dunno, anyway, so... i'm not sure to enter this contest just like that, but wanted to tell you that I join for the cause!!

Second, thanks for the list, it gave me some ideas :B just the thing I needed!! I really hope more people join! you guys are amazing <3
    stitchedmoon

Post by stitchedmoon on Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:39 am

Welcome, Lilia!  <3  Glad you could join us here!  I'm not much good at sticking to challenges either, so I was thinking of doing the lite mode thing or maybe just trying a few prompts to get started. ^^  It's all good~  I'm excited to see everyone's contributions for this. :>

Last edited by stitchedmoon on Mon May 02, 2016 11:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime on Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:34 pm

Oh wow, it's awesome that you've signed up here just via the challenge! :D Best of luck! :3

Post by Guest on Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:05 am

Thanks a lot! and yeah Razz I signed in here because of the challenge, but I met this page because of that as well! that's why I didn't have an account before XP even if I love XS

Current date/time is Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:38 am