Xeno Fannage!

Yuki Kajiura vs Yasunori Mitsuda

Yuki Kajiura vs Yasunori Mitsuda

Post by Guest on Fri May 31, 2013 10:43 pm

Who do you prefer?

Personally, I think both of them are absolutely brilliant. If I had to pick one, I'd choose Mitsuda, but Kajiura is still amazing. I've said this many times now, but a soundtrack by the both of them would be nothing short of exceptional.
    Xernova
    Xerno Res Novae

Re: Yuki Kajiura vs Yasunori Mitsuda

Post by Xernova on Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:14 am

Depends. If you ask me to choose between XSI Mitsuda vs XSII/XSIII Kajiura, then I choose Kajiura.

Because as I've said before, I found the XSI OST a disappointment coming from my favorite composer. I felt like he tried something new with the XSI OST -it's not like his more traditional works from Chrono Trigger/Cross and Xenogears- and I just didn't like it. But I've noticed he has returned to his more traditional style now, going by his soundtracks for Soma Bringer and Sands of Destruction.

Now, if you ask me to choose between what I've described as "traditional-style-Mitsuda" vs Kajiura, then I choose Mitsuda. By far. Kajiura's style is nice and all, but she's no match for my favorite composer ever. Heck, I don't even think she's a match for Nobuo Uematsu. I even rank Yoko Shimomura above her. Yuki Kajiura's style doesn't really blow me away and I've got plenty of other composers whose works I like more.

For the Xenosaga soundtracks it was an exception that I preferred her work more, but that's only because Mitsuda disappointed me with his XSI OST. But for example, Xenogears' OST really blew me away [size=85](it still does)[/size] and none of the Xenosaga soundtracks have had the same effect on me. However, I appreciate that Kajiura tried to deliver music more similar to Xenogears' in XSIII. I'm quite fond of the music which plays in Abel's Ark (*click*), which is an obvious nod to One Who Bares Fangs at God. ^^

PS: I absolutely love the battle themes in XSII, but iirc those weren't done by Kajiura but by, erm... *googles* Shinji Hosoe. Too bad his music for towns and dungeons was rather crappy (with a few exceptions).  :dead3:

stitchedmoon

Post by stitchedmoon on Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:35 am

I love 'em both, although I kind of agree with Xerno in that, overall, I liked some of Mitsuda's other works (the Chrono Trigger soundtrack is one of my all-time favorites) more than the music he did for Episode 1, and for some reason Kajiura's stuff seemed better suited to the latter two episodes. On the other hand, Ep 1's soundtrack had some amazing songs in their own right (too bad there weren't more of 'em in the game, heh) and I liked the sort of cosmic, epic, mysterious vibe I got from it, which I felt like the rest of the series never really lived up to.

... Actually, I kind of wish they had both worked together on the soundtrack for the entire series because how amazing would that be. owo

kare_reiko
    Donator

Post by kare_reiko on Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:07 am

Well I'm going for Kajiura. I was into her long before Xenosaga and I love her style. Going on her live concert is one of my biggest dreams.
    Mitsuda isn't bad but his works aren't something that steal my heart.

Such a moment of such peace...

InsaneChronos

Post by InsaneChronos on Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:15 am

Mitsuda is a god, and I love Chrono Cross OST, but Kajiura's music is more appropriate for religious and philosophical sci-fi. Mitsuda's music is more fantasy-like.

Post by Guest on Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:22 pm

Both are absurdly talented,it's really hard to pick one of them,truly.And xernova you make it sound like nobuo and shimomura are bad composers!Shimomura made Legend of Mana's ost \o/!!!
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime on Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:54 pm

I think I like them both equally. I didn't even give a whole lot of thought to Mitsuda not doing much for Saga's soundtrack, but it was pretty small, sparse and high quality. I think because they spent so much money orchestrating everything with the London Symphony Orchestra, they had to re-use more music than his previous game music. I really wish they'd have only used The Girl Who Closed Her Heart once, bit it became the general sad theme music in XSI. Nothing in XS's soundtrack stands up to Babel Tower or Creid for me except Fatal Fight and Hepatica.

As far as I know, both of them run together and work with the same people a lot, so much like Ziggy and Robocop, I don't see them ever as opposing forces.

Great topic! :D

"There is no growth without birth.  Without a foothold in the past, we cannot walk toward the future.  Get thee gone, darkness!"

Neosmith

Post by Neosmith on Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:48 am

I'm more into Kajiura, but I feel that some of Mitsuda's better Episode 1 music didn't actually make it into the game or wasn't utilized frequently enough, eg. Original SoN and Ormus themes, Albedo's, Margulis' themes, Zarathustra and Last Battle for sure.

Kajiura really made her mark with E3, especially thanks to the variety of different boss battle themes. Having Testament theme music play during Testament battles for example is just great.

Post by Guest on Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:44 pm

@Neosmith wrote:I'm more into Kajiura, but I feel that some of Mitsuda's better Episode 1 music didn't actually make it into the game or wasn't utilized frequently enough, eg. Original SoN and Ormus themes, Albedo's, Margulis' themes, Zarathustra and Last Battle for sure.

Kajiura really made her mark with E3, especially thanks to the variety of different boss battle themes. Having Testament theme music play during Testament battles for example is just great.

I can agree  with this. Mitsuda's songs for Episode I were great, but the utilization was horrible.

Post by Guest on Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:18 pm

I was listening to some of Kajiura's other tracks, and the 0:58 mark of this song sounds suspiciously like Promised Pain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Atc51MxhoAE
    stitchedmoon

Post by stitchedmoon on Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:11 pm

^ I've noticed some similarities between Kajura's soundtracks as well. I suppose it could get repetitive after a while, but I don't mind more of the same in this case. ^^ (I used to listen to her Tsubasa soundtrack when I was writing Xenosaga fanfics, actually. I've never seen Tsubasa, so it just gave me Xenofeels. :B )

GoldeneyeDS

Post by GoldeneyeDS on Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:08 pm

Honestly, its hard. Obviously this is as subjective as it gets :p

Mitsuda does some great tracks in XS1 (backed by the London Philharmonic/Royal Orchestra, small bit of pride here). Its however very formal. That's my complaint with people like John Williams. The musics awesome but it has this stringent formality which can make it hard to listen to at times. Now when i get into it, i love the XS1 (disc 1) a lot. Its has this certain emotion layered in and fits the 'tension always mounting' feeling that one does so well. I feel i enjoyed the first disc more on its own the the entire soundtrack.
    He creates some wonderful music that helps drive many scenes in XSI to create much more of an emotional impact.

Kajiura I feel I need to split up XSII, and XSIII to explain what I feel about them.

With XSII I originally didn't like the music. I found it odd, and unsettling. However with my increasing opinion in the game (every time I play it I enjoy it more) I began to enjoy the music more and more. I think the scenes with Albedo are made much more emotionally impactful (creeped out) than I think Mitsuda did. Tracks like Communication breakdown, chase, Sakura, sweet song, all are done wonderfully. I feel that the beginning of the album almost flows from each track (as the first few have no gaps). Saying that, this album for me has a higher hit and miss ratio than XSI or III. The musics less formal, but I feel some tracks I just put me off.

Finally XSIII, which has many great tracks, and a few really bland tracks. This album is the easiest to listen to i think, although its more emotionally taxing, because most of the music is sad, unlike XSI and II (in fact II had some rather happy and uplifting tracks like here she comes (KOS-MOS), or at least, less sad, like Sweet Song). XSIII is final, and more emotionally provoking. Things like Testament get across the weight and power that fits them so well, and hepatica (KOS-MOS) so perfectly embodies the stages of grief. When i was going through a difficult time in my life i would turn to this OST for the sadness, and also the upbeat final song, maybe tomorrow, ending medley.

In conclusion, I think Kajiura is better and bringing out the raw emotions in her music for the XS series, but Mitsuda is better at creating the epic pieces, the large scale, and the increasing tension. To who I prefer? My heart says Kajiura, my mind days Mitsuda, as he can be quite diverse.

Nikkolas

Post by Nikkolas on Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:11 am

Well Mitsuda's Xenogears OST is the greatest RPG soundtrack ever but if we're just talking Xenosaga...

With equal quality, it's a matter of quantity. XSIII has more great music and lets you enjoy it more as well. So I guess Kajiura wins there.

On the flipside, "Pain"

is my favorite XS vocal song. And who can deny the greatness of "Beach of Nothingness"? It is beautiful, haunting, and most importantly it is utilized in the best fashion possible.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsiMJcJhWFk

Not once in over ten years have I forgotten Margulis' speech to Cherenkov. Mr. McConnohie is to be commended of course but that song in the background just completes the perfect picture.
    chaos

Post by chaos on Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:00 pm

Mitsuda is one of, if not my favourite composer, and I was sceptical when Kaijura took over the music, but she knocked it out of the park with the episode 3 soundtrack, has some of my favourite music ever on it.

She managed to really capture the feel of the Xeno games as well as, even better than Mitsuda himself.

Favourites are:

New world, Febronia, Promised Pain, hepatica, Testament, When the grief lets you go, godsibb, I love you, sincerely (my Favourite), hepatica 3 ~ I believe in you (Tied Favourite).

That saying Episode I has some great music, Gnosis is amazing! the full orchestra really shines on that track.

I don't think you can beat the actual quality of the music from Episode one, the orchestra makes it sound so grand.

Also like Sorrow, Opening, Relief, Ormus, Nephilim, Warmth, The Resurrection, Shore of Nothingness, Zarathustra, The Miracle, Omega (Favourite)

Current date/time is Tue May 22, 2018 5:45 am