Xeno Fannage!

Xenotensei may go down

katimus_prime
    Administrator

Re: Xenotensei may go down

Post by katimus_prime on Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:20 am

Hey there, I certainly wasn't expecting you to join us? And thanks for being exceedingly level-headed even though we were kinda talking behind your back? I was always impressed with the level of research and energy AC put into his stuff as objective to the games even though we had very divisive opinions about Monolith. Valkyrie is probably the person who has the info you're looking for.

As for Gamergate, I'm not really interested in going anymore deeply involved with it just from the amount of harassment that's occured because of it. I care a lot about video games, too, but when people are getting threatened in real life for being who they are, that's kinda where I draw the line. I've also never really put a lot of stock in vg pundits because they were also really quick to bash on Xenosaga when it came out.

I do hope you find what you're looking for, though.

"There is no growth without birth.  Without a foothold in the past, we cannot walk toward the future.  Get thee gone, darkness!"

Post by Guest on Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:41 am

Well, the site stats showed ~20 clicks from this forum, that's how I found you. Smile

About GG, yeah, people on both sides have been harassed, sadly some have even lost their jobs because of it, which is just terrible and shouldn't happen.

Regarding the part 3 images, thanks for the info, I hope Valkyrie really has them. Smile
    opkij

Post by opkij on Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:49 pm

Haha, this was an intresting way to summon new members to the site!
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime on Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:01 pm

I'll say. ^^;

"There is no growth without birth.  Without a foothold in the past, we cannot walk toward the future.  Get thee gone, darkness!"
    chaos

Post by chaos on Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:56 am

@katimus_prime wrote: I was always impressed with the level of research and energy AC put into his stuff as objective to the games even though we had very divisive opinions about Monolith.

Hi

Can I ask how your opinion differed to A.C's in regard to monolith?

Thanks
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime on Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:09 pm

Sure. It's really just a difference of opinion in regards to Xenoblade. He hated it, and was pretty outspoken about it, and I didn't hate it, and was also pretty outspoken about it. I also disagreed with him in how dismissive he got toward Soraya Saga, who is pretty much my idol, so that's that there.

chaos

Post by chaos on Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:17 pm

Ah ok, I don't think hes played it to be honest, I can see what he's saying, but it's still an awesome game, just different to gears and saga.

It is worrying if their policy on new games is less story and character driven and more gameplay driven however.

It's doubtful we will see games like gears and saga again.
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime on Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:44 pm

For someone to be as angry as AC is about it, I tend to think he's at least played some of it, otherwise his argument and will to debate wouldn't be as strong as it was.  I never spent enough time with him to really tell.

As much as I really do like Xenoblade, it is a different type of story presented in a different way that Saga was, and back in the day, Saga got mountains of criticism for not being Xenogears.  Xenoblade X seems to be a dive back into the "you need a glossary to understand this story" territory, but I guess we'll just have to see?  What I try to keep in mind is that surviving expulsion from Namco was the luckiest thing I've ever seen a game studio do. I'm thinking it's likely that Nintendo had them on probation until they could prove that they could do gameplay first, story second. For Blade to be as charming and complex as it is despite what the studio had just been through is amazing.  Am I a kiss-ass for thinking this? Probably.  Do I care if people think that's a bad thing? Not anymore. (This is why I'm stepping down.)

Neosmith

Post by Neosmith on Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:48 am

I would say that AC in general dismissed Blade so as to legitimate Xenosaga. By painting it as the sum of all that is wrong with games today, he wanted to elevate Saga and Gears to levels of high art. So, Takahshi's creation of such a blatantly "commercial" project was ostensibly against everything his previous games stood for. Oh, and that title's use of the Xeno-prefix really exacerbated everything.

I personally liked Blade quite a bit - for various reasons I've had no chance to play it but all the cutscenes and storytelling that I've witnessed presented a considerable step forward for Hashi as a storyteller.

Current date/time is Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:34 pm