Xeno Fannage!

GIF Beginner

Nikkolas

GIF Beginner

Post by Nikkolas on Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:12 am

So I love animated GIFs. They're a lot of fun. I've always wanted to make some but I figured it would be too hard and just never bothered.

Then my girlfriend asked me to make some for her and I decided to finally give it a shot.

The problem is, my eyesight kinda sucks. I'm not too good at judging the quality of things, like if it's all blurry or grainy or the like. I was just kinda hoping some nice people here could tell me if these are total garbage or not.

I started off using Adobe Premiere but the GIFs were coming out in ridiculously huge sizes.

Then I went searching and learned of a free thing called VirtualDub. I've used that since.

Now I've been using FRAPS to grab the specific clips I wanted. I don't know if that damages the quality or anything.

So...yeah. Any tips from people who actually know what they're doing be welcome and appreciated!
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Re: GIF Beginner

Post by katimus_prime on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:42 pm

I haven't actually found a GIF making program I liked. Fraps can take some pretty high quality images, but since the files are so HUGE, I have to re-work some of mine in Windows Movie Maker. I think a simple resize and proper export in Adobe Photoshop can happen, too. GIFS are awesome and funny things. It's always better to make a big file first, then mess up later trying to reduce the file size, just so that you don't have to go to the trouble twice.

Some tips I guess would be to try not to reduce the color pallette of things, and to try to keep most of my gifs at 500px wide or lower (only because I tumblr too much and that's what everything gets reduced to). Your VirtualDub ones look super-nice, tho! They've gotta be huge...

"There is no growth without birth.  Without a foothold in the past, we cannot walk toward the future.  Get thee gone, darkness!"
    stitchedmoon

Re: GIF Beginner

Post by stitchedmoon on Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:20 pm

*bumps ancient thread while editing the formatting in old threads* I've been using GifCam, which kind of has a bad reputation on tumblr because the link that was going around a while ago was full of spyware and crap, but apparently you can bypass that by downloading it from the creator's site directly. (At least, I haven't had any problems with it in the year or two that I've been using it.)

Current date/time is Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:18 pm