Xeno Underground

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Xeno Fannage!

Hello, we will be closing December 31st, 2021. Please back up your messages and exchange contact information. There is another forum at https://godsibb.net. Hello, we will be entering read-only mode on December 31st, 2021. Please back up your messages and exchange contact information. There is another forum at https://godsibb.net.

3 posters

GIF Beginner

Nikkolas

GIF Beginner Empty GIF Beginner

Post by Nikkolas Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:12 am

So I love animated GIFs. They're a lot of fun. I've always wanted to make some but I figured it would be too hard and just never bothered.

Then my girlfriend asked me to make some for her and I decided to finally give it a shot.

The problem is, my eyesight kinda sucks. I'm not too good at judging the quality of things, like if it's all blurry or grainy or the like. I was just kinda hoping some nice people here could tell me if these are total garbage or not.

I started off using Adobe Premiere but the GIFs were coming out in ridiculously huge sizes.
    GIF Beginner >gif

Then I went searching and learned of a free thing called VirtualDub. I've used that since.
    GIF Beginner >gif
    GIF Beginner >gif

Now I've been using FRAPS to grab the specific clips I wanted. I don't know if that damages the quality or anything.

So...yeah. Any tips from people who actually know what they're doing be welcome and appreciated!
    katimus_prime
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

GIF Beginner Empty Re: GIF Beginner

Post by katimus_prime Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:42 pm

I haven't actually found a GIF making program I liked. Fraps can take some pretty high quality images, but since the files are so HUGE, I have to re-work some of mine in Windows Movie Maker. I think a simple resize and proper export in Adobe Photoshop can happen, too. GIFS are awesome and funny things. It's always better to make a big file first, then mess up later trying to reduce the file size, just so that you don't have to go to the trouble twice.

Some tips I guess would be to try not to reduce the color pallette of things, and to try to keep most of my gifs at 500px wide or lower (only because I tumblr too much and that's what everything gets reduced to). Your VirtualDub ones look super-nice, tho! They've gotta be huge...

stitchedmoon

Post by stitchedmoon Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:20 pm

*bumps ancient thread while editing the formatting in old threads* I've been using GifCam, which kind of has a bad reputation on tumblr because the link that was going around a while ago was full of spyware and crap, but apparently you can bypass that by downloading it from the creator's site directly. (At least, I haven't had any problems with it in the year or two that I've been using it.)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:36 pm