Xeno Fannage!

What is Your Gender?

katimus_prime
    Administrator

Re: What is Your Gender?

Post by katimus_prime on Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:21 pm

(Honestly, I'm much more used to people near my pocket of internet being female and am often surprised when I find out they're male unless they've specified it on their profile or in conversation or something.)

"There is no growth without birth.  Without a foothold in the past, we cannot walk toward the future.  Get thee gone, darkness!"

Post by Guest on Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:29 pm

Well, my saying that to Katie was more of a joke, since I already knew she was a female before. =P
    RadicalDreamer

Post by RadicalDreamer on Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:55 pm

Female and I identify as such (even if sometimes, I feel like my gender really doesn't matter... I wear whatever I want without looking at the mirror too often, I rarely wear make-up or jewelry and I hate shopping *but when I have to buy clothes, I'm super picky... go figure*).
    We're lots of girls/women in the Xenosaga fandom :biggrin2: . I like this because, unless women lie about their gender, when you go in other big gaming communities, it's like we're rarities. I don't and never felt like a rarity as a gamer. It's so natural for me to like games. I even had close gamer friends back in middle school, the sister of my sister's best friend is into gaming pretty hard (after I introduced her to FF7, she seriously fell in love with gaming and now, she studies to work in the industry and played way more games than I will ever be able to... I even made her enjoy Xenosaga and funnily enough... she was a Baten Kaitos fan before I talked to her about Xenosaga) and some of my recent girl friends are gamers too (but we're artists so maybe that's why).
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime on Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:55 pm

Ahh, gotcha, Adrak. ^^;

And I hate the social trappings of what one is supposed to do when one is female, myself as well. It's a very easy way to pull yourself down.

There was a time when I could have sworn there were only 3 male members on Godsibb when it started up. I don't know where all these dudes came from, not that it really matters either way. I've always seen a female majority in just about every VG fandom I waltz around the edges of (FF7, Vagrant Story, FFX, Persona...) , but that was back in the late 90's/early 00's.

"There is no growth without birth.  Without a foothold in the past, we cannot walk toward the future.  Get thee gone, darkness!"

Post by Guest on Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:26 pm

Well, I just discovered I am a girl.

For the longest time, I thought I was a sexless blob of rainbows...but I guess not. -Sigh-
    stitchedmoon

Post by stitchedmoon on Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:55 pm

RadicalDreamer wrote:I don't and never felt like a rarity as a gamer. It's so natural for me to like games.

Yeah, the whole idea that girls who play video games are weird/unusual/special (snowflakes) and/or "Fake Geek Girls" (oh the horror!) is pretty recent news to me.  When my brother and I were kids we played video games together all the time, sometimes even with our parents (my mom played Zelda and Adventure like a boss, so yay female role models :D ), and I hung out with other girls (and guys) who played games too.  Gender only seems to have been a big deal in retrospect, or at least I didn't notice it much at the time.

Last edited by stitchedmoon on Wed May 04, 2016 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total

Yikari

Post by Yikari on Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:11 pm

I am pretty sure I was a male last time I checked.

I too happen to come from a gamer-friendly family. All four of us have very different interests in what, when and how often we play, but I'm not ashamed to admit that I still can't beat mom at Tetris.
    LadyTwi
    Inquisitor Extraordinaire

Post by LadyTwi on Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:21 pm

Okay, you guys just gotta hear me out for a second.

I've been doing some reading on gender identity and stuff like that lately, and there's one thing that keeps coming up that bugs me: that your gender identity is your "private sense, and subjective experience", as Wikipedia says it, of your own gender. Your gender identity is what you feel on the inside that you are. I've always had trouble understanding how people "feel" what their gender is, how a transman/transwoman knows that their gender is different from their biological sex. How do you feel male or female?

It makes me wonder. I've always said that I'm female because that's what I am biologically, but what do I feel I am? When I sit down and think about it, I find I'm actually quite apathetic about it. I don't think I've ever woken up in the morning and said, "Man, I feel female!". This makes me think: maybe the reason why I can't understand how people feel what their gender is is because I don't feel it. Maybe I'm actually agender or something like that so I just go by my physical sex and I've always assumed that everyone else does the same, and thus my problem understanding trans* people.

Does that make sense? How do you describe feeling male or female?

stitchedmoon

Post by stitchedmoon on Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:41 pm

^ I can relate to that too.  I questioned my identity a lot when I was younger, and I still kind of wish I could settle with "neither" for both my gender and biological sex.  (I'd probably describe myself as gender-optional if that was a thing.)  I might have mentioned earlier in this thread, but it doesn't really matter to me how I'm perceived on the outside (although I can't get away with being mistaken for a boy anymore and I kinda miss that :/ ), just that I don't really see myself as anything particular on the inside.

I've never really understood what it meant to be female, if there is a set definition for that, but I always felt weird about it somehow.  I guess the closest I've been to feeling/identifying that way would be if I was writing or role-playing a feminine character like when I cosplayed Juli a few years ago, but then I can just as well identify with a male character.  (Actually, when I was really little, I used to pretend I was male characters almost exclusively, and I got so involved in the roles I was playing that I kinda freaked out my parents by insisting at various times that I was Mario or Fred Flintstone or something even when they told me to snap out of it.  I think they were worried they'd have a hard time explaining why their 3-year-old daughter wouldn't answer to anything but Scrooge McDuck.)  So maybe, for me, the idea of gender is kind of superficial, so it's not something that I felt like I had to define or change permanently?  Maybe, also, everyone experiences it a bit differently.

Last edited by stitchedmoon on Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

LadyTwi
    Inquisitor Extraordinaire

Post by LadyTwi on Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:09 am

Oh man I totally get you on the role playing thing. I've always RPed way more dudes than chicks and I get more enjoyment out of playing the dudes. I think every once in a while my mom would catch me and my sister and our friend doing it and would get a little weirded out when we called each other "he". XD

But really, I think I tend to see gender as a more superficial thing too. I never really considered it as an internal thing that you "feel", though now I've learned that people can identify as a different gender than they present themselves as (I know a female to male trans* person who still wears skirts sometimes). I'm mostly interested in how people describe these feelings, I guess.

Also, I just found this thread that I think describes what I feel.

stitchedmoon

Post by stitchedmoon on Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:53 am

^ That sounds a lot like how I feel, too. :>

katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime on Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:01 pm

LadyTwi wrote:Oh man I totally get you on the role playing thing. I've always RPed way more dudes than chicks and I get more enjoyment out of playing the dudes. I think every once in a while my mom would catch me and my sister and our friend doing it and would get a little weirded out when we called each other "he". XD

But really, I think I tend to see gender as a more superficial thing too. I never really considered it as an internal thing that you "feel", though now I've learned that people can identify as a different gender than they present themselves as (I know a female to male trans* person who still wears skirts sometimes). I'm mostly interested in how people describe these feelings, I guess.

Also, I just found this thread that I think describes what I feel.

You know, I was just thinking about this the other day.  I guess I fall in with demi-female, but it's still another label that needs to be explained.  However, this label is a little bit preferable to "oh, you're just a girl who doesn't fit in."

I've never really wanted to fit in as soon as I ever had a say in it.  I've always opted for clothes that are comfortable rather than for looks, and a lot of it is gender neutral stuff.  As I've gotten older, I've gotten into more flattering clothes, but not really because I feel more female (the only way I guess to feel female is to examine the other females around you and their behavior and conclude one way or another your degree of likeness?), but because I want to look good.  Gender identity has been forced on everyone who interacts with society.  As soon as you're born, most parents immediately dress and act around the assumption that gender and sex are the same with you and any other present family members.  As soon as you're old enough to realize the difference, damage may or may not have already been done.  Societal constructs.  :c

Man, why is lunch over?

Shizukesa

Post by Shizukesa on Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:13 pm

i is a girl........ Razz

Post by stitchedmoon on Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:02 pm

I've been feeling more comfortable identifying myself as nonbinary these days. I don't mind if other people consider me a girl (or a dude!) or use whatever pronouns, I just don't particularly feel defined by it. *shrugs nonbinarily*

Shizukesa

Post by Shizukesa on Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:38 am

i be a girl Very Happy

Post by chaos on Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:34 pm

Im a guy, although id describe myself as having quite a feminine personality.

Im definitely only sexually attracted to women, but I think im quite feminine personality wise, so maybe I am a lesbian?

Seems like the trend is most Xeno fans are female, maybe the themes of the game appeal more to women?

Can't imagine your typical boy gamer call of duty fan being into Xenosaga.

Current date/time is Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:23 pm