Xeno Fannage!

Who does Shion really love?

Who does Shion really love?

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:56 pm

Do you think it's Shion x Kevin, Shion x Allen, or Shion x KOS-MOS?

Also, this thread isn't necessarily about which pairing you like the most (although you're free to say that too), but rather which of them is Shion's true love.

Personally, I think Shion really loves KOS-MOS. I'm not just saying that because it's aesthetically pleasing (although I'd be lying if I said it wasn't  Laughing ), but rather because I feel they really do love each other. In a way, they're each others soul mates. They've reincarnated together, and they really love each other. The song Pain is about their love, and the scenes you see like KOS-MOS and Shion saying goodbye to each other in the last game, the Pain sequence in Episode I, and the dreams Shion has about her holding KOS-MOS close to her in Episode III is also an indicator. And in the ending of Episode III, when they say goodbye to each other, Shion even remarks that she's sad that KOS-MOS will be leaving again, but KOS-MOS remarks that they'll be together again in the future, which again gives the "soul mate" feeling to their relationship, in that they're fated to be together. And of course, they're also the Maiden and Mary, which is a big part of their relationship.

Re: Who does Shion really love?

Post by Guest on Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:46 am

I think Shion loves KOS-MOS in more of a platonic way, personally.  Although their parting was especially tender, I never got the impression Shion was romantically in love with her, but that it was an asexual kind of love.  Since KOS-MOS is an artificial human and her creation was a labor of love created by Shion and Kevin together, their relationship is not something I can easily put into context.  It's not mother/daughter, but it is creator/creation.

Mary's spirit is part of KOS-MOS, but is not specifically her.  I remember the database saying that this is similar to MOMO and Sakura's existence.   They are deeply related, but two different entities.  Mary left KOS-MOS's body at the end, leaving sort of an impression of herself on KOS-MOS.  Or, that's what I inferred.  

Shion's relationship to Kevin always struck me as somewhat unhealthy.  She was both his lover and mentor/boss, which does not mean her love was not true, but just that I believe she was in a position to be taken advantage of rather easily.   Kevin's obsession with being with her eternally by repeating time is both sweet and a little creepy depending on how you look at it.  But I think Kevin was the romantic love of her life, whom part of her will always love.

Xenosaga has relatively mature story in that it embraces the fact that "true love" is not a once-in-a-lifetime thing.  Relationships end, people die, and you move on to the next phase of your life.  I think Allen represents that trait in Shion; the future that she has to find for herself as Shion, and not as Mary 's maiden or as Kevin's fiance.  I don't think that Shion is in love with Allen in the game itself, but that she may learn to love him in the future as she grows and changes.
    Xernova
    Xerno Res Novae

Post by Xernova on Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:23 am

[size=120]<XSIII end spoilers included>[/size]

GlanceReviver wrote:I think Shion loves KOS-MOS in more of a platonic way, personally. Although their parting was especially tender, I never got the impression Shion was romantically in love with her, but that it was an asexual kind of love. Since KOS-MOS is an artificial human and her creation was a labor of love created by Shion and Kevin together, their relationship is not something I can easily put into context. It's not mother/daughter, but it is creator/creation.
    I agree with this.
    (I can definitely see where the Shion x KOS-MOS fandom comes from, though. It's probably by far the easiest yuri pairing to come up with in Xenosaga)

I myself am in favor of the unpopular Shion x Kevin and also think that at the end of XSIII at least, Shion still has the strongest romantic feelings for him. Their final scene together gave me the impression that Kevin will always be in Shion's heart. And as I've said before, if Kevin was still around after XSIII's ending, then I personally think Shion would return to him once more. Perhaps not right away, but Kevin already admitted his mistakes and I think Shion would forgive him sooner or later and they'd give their relationship another chance (sorry, Allen).

PS: As to why I like the pairing despite Kevin's faults, here's an old post of mine;

@Xernova wrote:I think Kevin somewhat redeemed himself in the end. His methods may have been wrong, but his intention was to save Shion no matter what the cost (even if he had to hurt Shion first before he could save her). It's one of those things I can't call utterly and completely wrong as wanting to save someone is a good thing, nay? I guess I'd call it a complicated mess with a bad and a good side, and in this case the good side still wins me over.
    It helps that my first impression of Kevin was a very positive one (from the flashbacks in XSI & II). I believe the kindness Kevin showed in those flashbacks was genuine, I like to think Shion brings out the best in Kevin. He certainly could be an arrogant punk in XSIII, but he has a good side too. And going by XSIII's ending, that side of him eventually prevails.

That about sums it up. So yep, I like Shion x Kevin and also think he's the one who she really loves.
    Of course, with Kevin gone she may find another person to love just as much, and indeed, perhaps Allen could be that guy at some point in the future.

Post by Guest on Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:19 am

I think what you are describing is a concept called protagonist-centric morality.  Which is the idea that if a bad guy helps a hero out one time, then all their bad deeds are erased.  

Let me just crystallize the totally rational reasons why I dislike Kevin.  It's not a "he's a jerk and I don't like his attitude as a kid" thing, like most people seem to do.  I see a specific particular flaw in the way he is presented.

Kevin is a mass murderer.  He murdered Shion's parents, along with many other people on Miltia, because he wanted to save Shion.  The fact that he saves Shion life in the end does not make his actions good.  

His motivation is "to save Shion's life," but he blames KOS-MOS for increasing the speed of Shion's illness because of her power source being U-DO.  But he built KOS-MOS.  So then, aren't the current effects of her illness his fault entirely?  Without him, she may have lived well into middle age.  Plenty of people die at this age of cancer and such, and they have still led a fulfilling life.  She could have had a short but happy life with her father and brother on Miltia.  Instead, due to Kevin's intervention, her mother and father are brutally murdered, an entire planet is destroyed, and she suffers extreme trauma-related memory loss.

I know that Shion is unable to realize these things because of her mental state, but nobody realizes them.  The game portrays Kevin's behavior as a natural thing to do to someone you love, and it's just messed up.  

I'm not saying he is not pitiable, or even relatable.  He began these things when he was 14, and he was strung along by Wilhelm.  But he eventually became an adult responsible for his own actions, and continued along this path of killing and destroying worlds because he wants to save a single woman.  Despite whatever she may want for herself.  He puts her through the trauma of Miltia all over again because "it's to save her life."

The robot he created to implement his plan with is killing her faster than if he had done nothing.  He orchestrates her own death, painting it to look like an accident that her own beloved robot committed.  She's damaged because of him.

His motivations aren't because it's the right thing to do, they're because he's in love.  While we can certainly identify with this motivation, it doesn't make his actions right.  He doesn't want the person he loves to die, at the expense of everyone else's loved ones.  Including Shion's family.  He doesn't explain Shion's situation to her and then ask her what she wants to to about it.  He just does things, and convinces her, in her altered mental state, that it's the best thing for her.  That is a selfish motivation at it's core, and a lot of manipulation, too.

The issue is that he is controlling her, without allowing her to make any self-determination.  We don't see a lot about their relationship, except that they both seem happy.  But this is before Shion is aware of how he is controlling her fate.  How they would get along after that is hard to say.

I think that Xenosaga's Kevin and Shion could have been an epic romance if he had gone to Shion and said "unless we do these things, you will die" and "If we do these things, we'll be able to be together forever" and so Shion would be a willing participant in the thing hand-in-hand with Kevin, until she gradually realized that deciding the fate of the universe for others is wrong and breaks away from Kevin while still being in love with him.  She would have to willingly sacrifice her true happiness for the good of the universe.  Instead, we have Kevin doing everything without her consent, and she blindly loves him based on two happy years of her life which were a lie to begin with.  

To add the fact, I find the idea that he pretty much placed her in the division without telling her he already knew they were going to fall in love just... creepy.  She wanted to work on realians.  He controlled her life in that way, too.

So, even if he had magically lived, I don't think Shion would go right back into his arms.  She still loves him and that is true, but sometimes you continue to love a person after a break-up.  They stay with you forever, although it's best for you to move on, and you're able to let new lovers into your heart.

I think that Kevin would be found guilty of several counts of destroying planets and have to repay his debt to society.  I could see Shion visiting him often, and having conflicting feelings about him.  But marrying and starting a family with someone who did that much wrong in your life would be unhealthy.

Post by Guest on Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:40 am

I'm in agreeance entirely with the fact that ShionxKevin was unhealthy, and that ShionxAllen was perhaps the healthiest choice. I feel that with time, Shion could grow to love Allen, although at the end of the series, while I was rooting for Allen the entire time, I was wholly unsatisfied with their 'happily ever after'. I feel that if the games had been expanded, this may have been looked into more.

That being said, I honestly don't know if Shion loved anyone near the end. I think that near the end, she loved KOS-MOS like a sister, but Kevin was... a part of her life that she had moved on from. I guess one could say that Kevin was a 'past love'; someone that makes your heart beat quickly every once in a while, but that she could've honestly said goodbye to, which she did.

Shion was finally doing what was right for Shion, at the end. Sure, she was taking her chances with Allen, but I almost feel that it could've been more satisfying if she had said "Y'know what. I'm going to stand on my own two feet. Enough being everyone's doll. Enough leaning on other people. I'm going to stand strong and I'm going to be the best Shion Uzuki I can be, for me."

Which I think she was trying to do, at the end. Thus why I don't think she truly loved anyone.
    Xernova
    Xerno Res Novae

Post by Xernova on Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:48 am

@GlanceReviver: Having read through your post, what you just explained is most definitely a valid reason to dislike his character. It's been years since I last played Xenosaga, but I must admit I don't remember who was responsible for Miltia's destruction. Oddly, having discussed Kevin before several times, this is the first time anyone has brought up the reasons you did. What confuses me even more is that I never seem to have realized that Kevin was directly responsible for all those deaths, because I'm sure I would have remembered that otherwise.

Ouch, that's quite a nasty flaw I've just discovered about Kevin there. Even if he was manipulated by Wilhelm from a very young age, that's hard to ignore... damn, that kinda sorta totally ruins his character for me. xD ()

Post by Guest on Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:17 pm

@Xernova I'm really sorry if I ruined it for you, I just think it gets overlooked so much. Kevin is a really compelling villain, and I love him as a villain, but when people paint him as a misunderstood good guy I just don't agree because of those reasons I stated.

I recently checked the game dialogue to see if I remembered correctly, and Shion even says as much herself in the scene where Kevin reveals he is really a testament. Here's part of it:

Kevin: I needed power. That is why I took this form. But what I
    look like is not important. It's still me. Nothing has
    changed.

Shion: But the Kevin in this time he sacrificed all those people,
    all those Realians to research the Zohar, even my mother.

Kevin: I had no choice. I'm sorry I made you suffer. But you must
    understand that it was all done for you.

Shion: For me? This? Are you saying all of this was for me?

Kevin: It was all for you. I was always thinking about you. Come
    with me. I need you, Shion.

Kevin at age 14 let out the creatures that killed Shion's parents. This in turn caused the child Shion to react, which set off the incident that consumed Miltia. Maybe Kevin didn't know exactly what he was doing (as I said, he was strung along by Wilhelm) but as an adult, he still justified his actions and continued to take similar actions. Shion seems shocked and appalled by this revelation at first, then she goes into sort of a state of denial.

Kevin also gave Cherenkov the device to activate the unfinished KOS-MOS which would be fine if it had killed only him, but he took out several other people with him. Then of course as a testament he helped Wilhelm orchestrate the destruction of a huge percent of the known worlds in the Xenosaga universe. Although it's fair to say that at this point human life did not matter, since the end result was to restart everything with eternal recurrence.

The reason he makes such a great villain for Xenosaga in this sense is that the main conflict in Xenosaga, once we find out what is really going on, is that Wilhelm is attempting to control and contain the universe, against the will of human beings to create their own destiny. The world's plight is the same as Shion's own personal risk. If they go on, they will most certainly die. Shion by U-DO, and the universe itself by the power of convergence/dissonance. And Kevin is to Shion as Wilhelm is to the rest of the world. It creates a very interesting parallel. I just think the execution was a bit rushed due to Xenosaga 3's inherent problems with being the last game when six titles were originally intended.
    Xernova
    Xerno Res Novae

Post by Xernova on Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:51 am

GlanceReviver wrote:Kevin at age 14 let out the creatures that killed Shion's parents. This in turn caused the child Shion to react, which set off the incident that consumed Miltia. Maybe Kevin didn't know exactly what he was doing (as I said, he was strung along by Wilhelm) but as an adult, he still justified his actions and continued to take similar actions.
    This part I still feel differently about. Since Kevin was influenced by Wilhelm from a young age, I think that also carries over into his beliefs/way of thinking as an adult. I don't think as an adult he should suddenly have realized what he was doing was wrong; when you've been influenced and told that there's only one solution for everything for most of your life from a very young age, that's gonna affect you as an adult too. I still see Kevin as someone who was "corrupted" by Wilhelm, so to speak. I don't think he even considers the possibility that there are other and better solutions than the one presented to him by Wilhelm. He seems to cling to that " ideal solution" very desperately.

And then, after all he's done and the sacrifices he's willingly made, when Shion suddenly abandons him (from his point of view), all his hopes and dreams come crashing down. I see his change into his Burning Knight form as a manifestation of the enormous rage he must certainly be feeling at that point (pretty cool imo, aha).

GlanceReviver wrote:Although it's fair to say that at this point human life did not matter, since the end result was to restart everything with eternal recurrence.
    Interesting. I didn't think that far ahead, but if I remember correctly, Wilhelm already told Kevin about eternal recurrence when he was still a child. So then perhaps he justifies all his actions with the knowledge that in the end everything will be restarted anyway. That makes it a tiny bit "better" (for lack of a better word) than just ignoring all those deaths solely in favor of giving Shion a future.

I guess now I see Kevin less as a tragic villain and more as a corrupted villain. Which makes me feel kinda sorry for him again. xD

Post by Guest on Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:57 am

Yeah, like I said, it's not that I don't pity him, but I think his love for Shion has some issues.

What really stuck out to me was how much pain he was willing to put Shion through, despite his goal being supposedly to help her. Since the goal is eternal recurrence, he knows Shion has to live through these painful memories over and over for eternity. At the end, he wasn't willing to let Wilhelm torture her because it finally got through to him. But he was totally willing to kill her family, destroy her home, make her watch KOS-MOS kill him (as well as several other innocent vector employees), destroy her own creation which he and she had built together, bear the guilt for helping create the thing that killed her co-workers without explanation, live alone in grief for a few years, and make her relive it all again just before revealing himself in XS3. That kind of mindfuck is a lot worse than physical torture.

And, I really don't know how much of it was really all for Shion. I think maybe he justified his actions in this way to keep from feeling guilt. He is not morally corrupt, he just doesn't have any respect for human life because of the whole eternal recurrence thing.

When Kevin restarts the cycle, he doesn't know what's going on until Wilhelm once again comes and fills him in. But I don't know at which point he actually finds out about Shion. He already started his research (inevitably costing the lives of so many people) before he meets the 8-year-old Shion, and at this point he's kind of dickish towards her. I don't think Wilhelm came in to say btw this little girl is going to be your wifu later, and we're doing all this for her. So at the time he caused the deaths on Miltia, he wasn't even invested in Shion yet.

At first it was to be with his mother again, not Shion. Maybe at some point as he became older, he starts to realize that those few infant years with his mother he can barely remember anymore aren't worth forfeiting his entire future, so Wilhelm pulls Shion out to make the deal more current. I could see that.

So, you could say 14-year-old Kevin is innocent of directly harming Shion, because he had no knowledge on her yet. He is still guilty of killing a bunch of people, but whatever.

Adult Kevin is still responsible for that action because he's setting in motion events that will make it happen again just as they did before, with the knowledge of how much it hurts Shion. At this point, he knows the pain he put her through and he's willing to do it again and again and again and again.

Post by Guest on Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:17 pm

@Xernova wrote:@GlanceReviver: Having read through your post, what you just explained is most definitely a valid reason to dislike his character. It's been years since I last played Xenosaga, but I must admit I don't remember who was responsible for Miltia's destruction. Oddly, having discussed Kevin before several times, this is the first time anyone has brought up the reasons you did. What confuses me even more is that I never seem to have realized that Kevin was directly responsible for all those deaths, because I'm sure I would have remembered that otherwise.

Ouch, that's quite a nasty flaw I've just discovered about Kevin there. Even if he was manipulated by Wilhelm from a very young age, that's hard to ignore... damn, that kinda sorta totally ruins his character for me. xD ()

It was Wilhelm who gave Kevin the orders to release the Asura series, and Wilhelm who caused the Miltian Conflict. If it was Kevin's choice, he would have never released the Asura series in the first place, thus saving Shion's parents' lives.
    kare_reiko
    Donator

Post by kare_reiko on Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:48 pm

I think it was Kevin who really Shion was loved. And I like how their love was shown, if not crazy world and times they lived in, they would propably be happy with themselfs. Myself I think I would do the same as Shion, I would gone to person I love, only diffrence that I wouldn't keep yell around that all others are bad.
    I think it's my second fav way that Takahshi write about love, firt oner would be Elly and Fei. Second would be Kevin and Shion. It's great because it's not such ideal love like it was in Sakura and Rubedo way. It was love that hurt, that is selfish, that put out from person the best from other person.

Kevin showed his gentle himself only when Shion was around, not only as grow up, but in past too. I think that were only times when he was himself, he wasn't just Wilhelm pawn.
    Manny parts when Shion remember of Kevin it's gentle and heartwarming too.

Such a moment of such peace...

Post by Guest on Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:46 pm

He did change in a positive way thanks to Shion. I think that shocked people the most to find that in the past he was such a little punk.
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime on Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:58 pm

Adrak wrote:Do you think it's Shion x Kevin, Shion x Allen, or Shion x KOS-MOS?

Also, this thread isn't necessarily about which pairing you like the most (although you're free to say that too), but rather which of them is Shion's true love.

Personally, I think Shion really loves KOS-MOS. I'm not just saying that because it's aesthetically pleasing (although I'd be lying if I said it wasn't  Laughing ), but rather because I feel they really do love each other. In a way, they're each others soul mates. They've reincarnated together, and they really love each other. The song Pain is about their love, and the scenes you see like KOS-MOS and Shion saying goodbye to each other in the last game, the Pain sequence in Episode I, and the dreams Shion has about her holding KOS-MOS close to her in Episode III is also an indicator. And in the ending of Episode III, when they say goodbye to each other, Shion even remarks that she's sad that KOS-MOS will be leaving again, but KOS-MOS remarks that they'll be together again in the future, which again gives the "soul mate" feeling to their relationship, in that they're fated to be together. And of course, they're also the Maiden and Mary, which is a big part of their relationship.

I'm actually pretty inclined to be in line with this, Adrak.  I think Allen's cute and all, but the lack of reciprocation on Shion's part makes it uneasy, and she doesn't even see it until after Kevin beats him up.  I think Shion wants to be with Kevin became an idea she thought she wanted after he died, but I think her inherent connection with KOS-MOS is stronger than that, romantic or not.

"There is no growth without birth.  Without a foothold in the past, we cannot walk toward the future.  Get thee gone, darkness!"
    chibi
    Jr.xShion Pioneer!

Post by chibi on Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:14 pm

Personally, I don't know that Shion loves anyone. She's too emotionally fragile (and also selfish in a lot of ways) to truly love someone at this point.

I do believe she cares about KOSy a great deal, but I've always felt that it's more mother/daughter than anything else. *shrugs*

Post by Guest on Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:33 pm

@chibi wrote:Personally, I don't know that Shion loves anyone.  She's too emotionally fragile (and also selfish in a lot of ways) to truly love someone at this point.  

This is pretty much how I feel.  While I'd support a budding relationship with Allen, it's definitely a post-game thing.  Shion values him as a friend and ally, but she can't see him (or anyone) that way until she's able to let go of Kevin.  

I think that at the end where Allen agrees to go with her on the Elsa, maybe at this point something has been established off-screen.  I'd hope that even Allen wouldn't be blind enough to go on that mission without at least a "let's give it a try" response from Shion.

Post by Guest on Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:50 pm

@kare_reiko wrote:I think it was Kevin who really Shion was loved. And I like how their love was shown, if not crazy world and times they lived in, they would propably be happy with themselfs.

Yeah I agree with kare here. I see where Adrak's coming from, there, but I'd still say it's Kevin after all...

Post by Guest on Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:01 pm

Well, I'm fine with all of Shion's potential lovers, including Richard.  Laughing I do really like the Shion x Kevin pairing as well, since Kevin really did love her, and Shion sincerely loved him.

Post by Guest on Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:47 am

@chibi wrote:Personally, I don't know that Shion loves anyone.  She's too emotionally fragile (and also selfish in a lot of ways) to truly love someone at this point.  

I do believe she cares about KOSy a great deal, but I've always felt that it's more mother/daughter than anything else. *shrugs*

Interesting. Shion does have an absolutely severe degree of emotional issues/damage. Her love for KOS-MOS is something of constant debate and dissection, even. It would be nice to see her with Allen, to really understand.

Neosmith

Post by Neosmith on Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:56 am

I would love to see a Shion and Cherenkov pairing myself.

Post by Guest on Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:11 am

@Neosmith wrote:I would love to see a Shion and Cherenkov pairing myself.

I never thought of that, but that would be pretty hilarious. The game never tells us how long Shion was alone with Cherenkov for that matter...  Laughing

Neosmith

Post by Neosmith on Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:02 am

In a fan work I wrote, Shion actually started to fall for the guy, only to start hating him after she found out he was a member of U-TIC... and possibly responsible for Kevin's death.
    chibi
    Jr.xShion Pioneer!

Post by chibi on Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:44 am

knightsvessel wrote:

Interesting. Shion does have an absolutely severe degree of emotional issues/damage. Her love for KOS-MOS is something of constant debate and dissection, even. It would be nice to see her with Allen, to really understand.

I myself don't want to see Shion with Allen, at all.  I like Shion, but I feel she never treated Allen very well.  He deserves someone who's going to consistently be good to him, and if Shion were to end up with him, she'd have to address A LOT of issues first.  Her "love" for Kevin was very self-destructive, and she needs to heal and move on from that before even attempting a relationship with anyone else.  Honestly, I just believe Allen is too good for Shion.

Post by Guest on Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:44 am

@Neosmith wrote:In a fan work I wrote, Shion actually started to fall for the guy, only to start hating him after she found out he was a member of U-TIC... and possibly responsible for Kevin's death.

Could you link to it? It sounds interesting.

Neosmith

Post by Neosmith on Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:54 pm

Adrak wrote:
    @Neosmith wrote:In a fan work I wrote, Shion actually started to fall for the guy, only to start hating him after she found out he was a member of U-TIC... and possibly responsible for Kevin's death.

Could you link to it? It sounds interesting.

Fraid not. I never published it. It's on my computer somewhere and it's pretty bad.

Post by Guest on Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:32 pm

@chibi wrote:
    knightsvessel wrote:

I myself don't want to see Shion with Allen, at all.  I like Shion, but I feel she never treated Allen very well.  He deserves someone who's going to consistently be good to him, and if Shion were to end up with him, she'd have to address A LOT of issues first.  Her "love" for Kevin was very self-destructive, and she needs to heal and move on from that before even attempting a relationship with anyone else.  Honestly, I just believe Allen is too good for Shion.

I meant more along the lines of 'It would be nice to see her with Allen, to really understand her behaviors in a stable relationship.' But yeah, she's treated him rather terribly. I don't know how it would work out.

Current date/time is Wed May 23, 2018 10:26 pm