Xeno Underground

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Xeno Metaseries Community

Hello, this forum is in read-only mode. There is another forum at https://godsibb.net.

+5
salut hurricane
LadyTwi
TheMagician
JerriLeah7
Xernova
9 posters

Languages

Languages Empty Languages

Post by Guest Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:37 am

Post here the languages you have some knowledge/are fluent at,the ones you are learning,have interest of knowing,or those which you dislike...may the discussion begin!
    Xernova
    Xernova
    Xerno Res Novae

Languages Empty Re: Languages

Post by Xernova Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:45 pm

Well, my first language is Dutch and I'm fluent in English, so those are the two I've voted for.

I can also understand at least half of what a German person says because German is quite similar to Dutch. As a matter of fact, during my school days, my former teacher German used to say "If you don't know how to say it in German, just say it in Dutch and 'German-ify' it." x]
    So yeah, I can't really speak German myself, but from my experience, I usually understand quite a bit of it, especially written.

I suppose I also speak a very little bit of French, since I learned it at school as well, but tbh, I've always sucked at French. Badly. I'm more likely to understand someone in German than French...

French is also a language I don't like very much. I'm not sure what people find so "sexy" about a French accent, I don't hear it. But that's just me.

Another one of my least favorite languages is Japanese. I know that's not a popular opinion in the world of gaming and anime (Languages SweatdropSmiley), but the Japanese language has never appealed to me; I just don't like the sound of their words. That doesn't mean I have any less respect for them (same for the French).

Oh, and as for learning any new languages, I have no interest in that; my learning days are behind me.
    Read: I'm too lazy to learn any new languages. xP

Post by Guest Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:50 pm

English.... All the way.. because I never took the time to learn another language XD. HOWEVER IF I did it would be Japanese so I wouldn't have to read subtitles on the anime LOOL

Post by Guest Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:26 pm

My native language is Portuguese. I'm not really a fan though. I mean, I'm mostly fine with it, but there are also some things I don't like.

If I were to learn another language, I guess it would be Italian since it's awesome and also (probably) the closest one to Latin, the most epic-sounding of them all *-*
    Japanese is nice, but seems too impossible for me = /

Post by Guest Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:33 pm

My native language is English, being an American, but I also know quite a bit of Spanish. I'm nowhere close to fluent, but I can speak basic conversational Spanish. I know a little bit of Japanese, since I play a lot of games in Japanese, but I don't really know much beyond the kana and basic stuff like 'desu' (です️) and numbers. Like Zeal, I would like to learn Italian one of these days, since I have a lot of relatives who live in Italy, as well as relatives who live in the Netherlands, although my heritage is mostly German.
    JerriLeah7
    JerriLeah7
    Little Master

Post by JerriLeah7 Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:18 pm

I know English and American Sign Language fluently and very little Spanish. =)
    TheMagician
    TheMagician

Post by TheMagician Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:47 pm

Unfortunately all I'm good for is English and I excel at it.  Laughing

I have an interest in learning other languages, mostly Japanese, but its the matter of "just doing it."

Post by Guest Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:37 pm

my god we're all English ;p

magic, best way to learn Japanese. take the dive head first. i say get a two-way ticket (one is suspicious). when you get there, throw the ticket away. meet the girl/guy. say i love you. meet the parents. get married. before you know it you'll be japanese~ in no time ;p

what's learning sign language like? easy? i could take a look into learning a bit of signs. i remember in my college days running into a bit of signs. wanted to eavesdrop but couldn't get it. with signs, one could eavesdrop from a distance.

Last edited by 93 on Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post by Guest Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:39 pm

Adrak wrote:

Dyson wrote:my god we're all English ;p

magic, best way to learn Japanese. take the dive head first. i say get a two-way ticket (one is suspicious). when you get there, throw the ticket away. meet the girl/guy. say i love you. meet the parents. get married. before you know it you'll be japanese~ in no time ;p

what's learning sign language like? easy? i could take a look into learning a bit of signs. i remember in my college days running into a bit of signs. wanted to eavesdrop but couldn't get it. with signs, one could eavesdrop from a distance. that would be pretty neat.

If this story is actually true, then I congratulate you on getting married.   Smile

And I also forgot about sign language. I'm not very good at it, but I know quite a bit.
    LadyTwi
    LadyTwi
    Inquisitor Extraordinaire

Post by LadyTwi Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:05 pm

My native language is English, I'm pretty good at French, I took a year of German in my first year of university, and I'm currently at intermediate level Latin. I regret not taking more German tbh and I'd like to take more someday. I'd also like to learn Japanese, Swedish, Russian, and many more!

Post by Guest Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:06 pm

Adrak wrote:
    Dyson wrote:my god we're all English ;p

what's learning sign language like? easy? i could take a look into learning a bit of signs. i remember in my college days running into a bit of signs. wanted to eavesdrop but couldn't get it. with signs, one could eavesdrop from a distance. that would be pretty neat.

If this story is actually true, then I congratulate you on getting married.  Very Happy

And I also forgot about sign language. I'm not very good at it, but I know quite a bit.

married! no! that's just one possible scenario. never took that route, me, never. I voted Engllish and Japanese. the two languages i can speak and write in. the 3rd i can only speak and can't read.

my 1st language was actually Arabic. 2nd language was Amharic. both learned through tongue of my parents at early childhood. from desert hills to snowy hills i went. the shift to Canada changed everything. I learned English so fast it hit 1st place knocking Arabic out *KO* completely, erasing all me memories as if I was born here. Amharic remained at 2nd, until I took a wild trip to Japan. head dove with a two-way ticket throwing away the return once there ;p my run lasted for almost 2 years. learned Japanese so fast it took 2nd place knocking Amharic down to 3rd place.

It felt like another me was born. different in character/personality. I learned mostly through people while drifting from city to country and back to city. it was wild! getting drunk at run-down bars, naked old men in public bath houses, crashing with different families i end up calling mom and dad brother and sister granny and grampa, shady men in suits leading the ways to pleasure wonderlands, and working behind bar counters and washing dishes. they were all my teachers. all the chit chat from it all and the different dialects, the language hits you hard spiced with culture they can't teach in school.

i'd definitely try and learn another language. i hope it's gonna be Arabic next. someday, i hope to take a drift around the middle east while meeting people and relearning their tongue once again.
    salut hurricane
    salut hurricane

Post by salut hurricane Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:04 pm

I voted English as it's my first language and I also speak a little of a Southern-Chinese dialect called Toisan. Mainly only reserved for speaking to my grandmums. I'd like to brush up on my Mandarin skills to passable levels in the future, as well as take a little Korean, and I'd love to learn German and French to fluency.

Wow Dyson you've really had some great travels under your belt. I'm totes jelly! I'd love to travel and see as much as you have.

Post by Guest Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:10 pm

English speaker here as well. I have dabbled in Spanish, French, Japanese, and most recently Mandarin (which I quite enjoyed!). I love learning languages, but the lack of time and lack of focus has always been my crutch in becoming fluent in any of them so far. :/

Post by Guest Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:49 am

Wow,I'm quite happy that the idea turned out to be a good topic ^^

My first language is portuguese, I learned the majority of what I know of english by videogames and internet,some by school too of course,when it comes to grammar.
    Despite that, I don't get along with spanish very well,but I know a bit of it,enough to communicate,hopefully.

Latin,german,mandarim (mostly due to China's destiny to rule the word with their factories >.>),hebraic,italian and who knows international sign language and braile, hardly japanese (I find it very hard),that's the list of the languages that I want to learn,even if a bit of.

Ohh,and I dislike french, I don't find it romantic or cool,and I hate when english is used only with media intentions,to call more attention for a store/product,it works the other way for me mostly.

Post by Guest Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:22 pm

AlphaOmega wrote:Wow,I'm quite happy that the idea turned out to be a good topic ^^

My first language is portuguese, I learned the majority of what I know of english by videogames and internet,some by school too of course,when it comes to grammar.
    Despite that, I don't get along with spanish very well,but I know a bit of it,enough to communicate,hopefully.

Latin,german,mandarim (mostly due to China's destiny to rule the word with their factories >.>),hebraic,italian and who knows international sign language and braile, hardly japanese (I find it very hard),that's the list of the languages that I want to learn,even if a bit of.

Ohh,and I dislike french, I don't find it romantic or cool,and I hate when english is used only with media intentions,to call more attention for a store/product,it works the other way for me mostly.

Well, Mandarin is actually a lot more complicated the Japanese is. Japanese kanji characters heavily borrow from Mandarin, but Japanese often uses kana, which is far more simple than kanji characters, whereas Mandarin only uses characters. I know a little Mandarin, but not really much.
    salut hurricane
    salut hurricane

Post by salut hurricane Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:20 pm

^ Japanese sentence structure does vary when it comes to addressing people, whereas with Chinese it's pretty much the same no matter who or what you're referring to. Also the syllable amount is way, WAY higher in Japanese. This always varies for opinions though, since I had a professor that thought Chinese was simpler and another friend that thought Japanese was simpler. It also depends on a persons willingness and pre-exposure to the languages.

Post by Guest Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:38 pm

i don't know any Chinese, but just from listening and hearing e two it seems a bit hard. the pronunciation part. you're right when it comes to addressing people. I guess Chinese is much simpler. Learning Mandarin would be nice too. ahh there's just no time in this world.

Post by Guest Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:10 am

The hard part about Mandarin to me is the tones. Mandarin is a tonal  language http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tone_(linguistics). In English (and some other languagues), we use tonal inflections to indicate whether a sentence is a question or a statement. In Mandarin, for most question sentences you use the question word "ma" 吗 in light/no tone to indicate a question: Ni hao ma? 你好吗?"How are you?". Grammar is pretty easy, though. The tonal aspect (and some pronunciation of certain characters like "ri4" for example) is what makes it difficult in my opinion. Most characters also equal one word, or you can put them together to make another word. Like the word for car che 车, add qui æ±½ and you have quiche 汽车 the word for bus.  Very Happy

I recently started taking up Korean. I'm liking it a lot so far. Smile
    katimus_prime
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:47 pm

Coming in late on this topic, I know English all the way, some German and a little bit of written Japanese (I taught myself what hirigana and katakana look like, but I still have to look at charts to remember what they really are). I know weeaboo spoken Japanese, but that doesn't count for anything. ^^

Also, this is a great topic, AO! :>

Post by Guest Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:26 am

I'm passably fluent in English and less so in Chinese. (Even though I use English every day I feel like I'm writing and talking with the grace of a blunderbuss.) I'd like to learn Latin and Japanese, and am curious about Russian, French, and Greek.

EDIT: Sorry about the tone, I was feeling somewhat frustrated then.

Post by Guest Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:26 am

I'm a native English speaker (yet it seems my grasp on the language grows poorer and poorer as the days go on) but I think it MITE B COOL to learn other languages. Actually, really cool. My dad comes from Egypt so he and all his Egypt buddies are always speaking Arabic and asking me if I speak it and I'm just like "lol."

So I REALLY want to learn Arabic -- but I also have interest in French, German, Japanese and Russian! I want to be fluent in all of them! I've got a looong way to go though since my attention span these days is in the negatives.
    Yikari
    Yikari

Post by Yikari Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:57 pm

I chose 'Russian' and 'Japanese'.

Russian because that's the native language for me and I find our cussing the most juicy out of the ones I 've heard being spoken (most likely because my knowledge of other languages is... lacking).

Japanese because it sounds really neat and really funny at the same time to my ear. Perhaps it is only in my own mind, but since they have a surprisingly big amount of similar sounds, Japanese speech comes across to me as if someone mixed all the syllables up and set about speaking gibberish. Coupled with (from what I can understand at least) all of the syllables being unstressed, it sounds really trippy.

Post by Guest Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:50 am

I'm native french speaker, trying to improve my english daily, thanks to internet :biggrin2:

I learned korean for about 2 years, but due to lack of interest stopped, currently learning japanese and well kinda fed up of the kanji but it's mainly cause we have to learn 20 kanji per week, too much for me :cry3:

Post by Guest Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:34 pm

Ouch kashim :p
    Shizukesa
    Shizukesa

Post by Shizukesa Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:15 pm

i can do some japanese. its just totally fun. wish i had the time to have that much fun again. now im all inspired to learn swedish cuz this rockstar guy i love & want to marry. apparently hes a swede. but he speaks english well lolol but vikings & sweden stuff is cool to me.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:17 am