Xeno Underground

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Xeno Metaseries Community

Hello, this forum is in read-only mode. There is another forum at https://godsibb.net.

5 posters

Visual Novels!

LadyTwi
    LadyTwi
    Inquisitor Extraordinaire

Visual Novels! Empty Visual Novels!

Post by LadyTwi Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:30 pm

I wasn't entirely sure where to put this, but I think visual novels can be considered games, so I'll just stick it here. Anyway, the point of this thread is to discuss your favourite VNs!

There are two in particular that have consumed my life for the past half year: Hatoful Boyfriend and Zero Escape.

Hatoful Boyfriend - I don't know if anyone around here has played it, but for those who haven't, you're gonna have to bear with me on this one. HB is first presented as a dating sim where you play as a female human who is attending a school for birds, and yes, your choices of dates are all birds. That part of the game is meant mainly as a parody of dating sims, but it introduces the cast and gives some foreshadowing for the main event.

The game is hilarious, heart-wrenching, and everything in between. I've played it through several times now and I still end up a blubbering mess every time. The characters, the story, everything is just so well-written;

I very quickly forgot that most of the cast were birds. XDDD I went in thinking it would just be something for me to laugh at and make fun of, but I got so, so much more than I ever expected.

Zero Escape - This comprises the two games 999 and Virtue's Last Reward. These games are more well-known so I won't get into them too much. Once again another wonderful example of writing, and holy shit can they ever pull off plot twists. My mind has been so utterly screwed by these two games that it took a good amount of time just for what actually happened to sink in.

Honourable mentions go to the Ace Attorney series (my first love!) and Holiday Star (HB sequel that was recently released). And who's excited for Zero Escape vol. 3!??!!
    Jintoki
    Jintoki

Visual Novels! Empty Re: Visual Novels!

Post by Jintoki Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:31 am

Ahhh yeaah, visual novels! I'm currently working on Virtue's Last Reward, but I've been in love with visual novels for several years now.

One of my favorites is Umineko, which took me about a year to finish, and I miss it terribly. I just recently finished the Muv Luv visual novels, which I have mixed feelings about...I'm tempted to read Katawa Shoujo next or possibly Steins;

Gate (even though I've already watched the anime).
    HikariKuragari
    Chaos & Jr Fangirl

Post by HikariKuragari Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:57 pm

You spoke to me about this one before ! I think it's quite nice hehe ! (Hatoful boyfriend that is) I didn't play it yet, but I still would love to. However do you happen to still have the link where we can actually buy it with english text and all ?

As for the other I don't believe I know it, but it seems interesting haha.

Post by Guest Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:21 am

I rarely play PC-based games, but I love PW and stuff.

I have been interested in creating a visual novel, but I'm not sure that any of my stories would be interesting enough to keep a player occupied. That, and I don't know how to program it, so eh. I gave up on that idea for now.
    Jintoki
    Jintoki

Post by Jintoki Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:57 am

^Have you looked into Ren'Py before? I've been making visual novels with it for awhile. The engine is a little daunting at first, but it is really easy if you make things simple. And an even easier visual novel maker would be Novelty, as the interface is mainly drag and drop instead of code.

Post by Guest Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:32 am

okay cool, thanks. I'll check it out.
    LadyTwi
    LadyTwi

Post by LadyTwi Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:46 am

HikariKuragari wrote:You spoke to me about this one before ! I think it's quite nice hehe ! (Hatoful boyfriend that is) I didn't play it yet, but I still would love to. However do you happen to still have the link where we can actually buy it with english text and all ?

As for the other I don't believe I know it, but it seems interesting haha.

There's a link on the TVTropes page I linked, where it says "The English version of the full game can be found here". I hope you enjoy it! :3

Post by Guest Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:47 pm

*appears from nowhere*
    I remember you mentioned those at old GS too twi,plus I've played Katawa Shoujo (for the history and soundtracks,which a friend recommended) and I truly loved some parts of it,anyone heard of/played it?
    LadyTwi
    LadyTwi

Post by LadyTwi Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:19 pm

^ Can't say as I have, Omega.

Well, I'm starting on my next visual novel: Dangan Ronpa. The game is in Japanese, so I'm basically using that LP as the English script since it's extremely well-written. Literally all of my Twitter friends are raving about this one so I have to try it out, it seems pretty interesting.

Post by Guest Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:28 am

My favourites are True Remembrance and Famicom Detective Club II. The latter and Narcissu were my introduction into the genre. I liked the Ace Attorney series, though I couldn't quite finish it in person after reading my fill of the Court Records fansite. I did finish the first Miles Edgeworth game, but that seemed to lean more towards adventure game than VN. Ever 17 was heartwarming while Remember 11 was often rather the opposite, but it had its moments.

The most recent one I read was The Devil on G-string and it was pretty gripping. Not what I expected going in.
    Jintoki
    Jintoki

Post by Jintoki Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:02 am

^Oooh, I really enjoyed Devil on G-String. Except...well, I didn't know it was an H game when I first started playing it, so I was a bit blindsided by that aspect, but I still enjoyed the plot.

@AlphaOmega: I just finished Katawa Shoujo, actually! Well, at least Hanako's route. The game has nice artwork and characters, though the plot might have been too slice of life for me. Still, I was kind of envious of how they could make such a well-crafted vn using Ren'Py. I wish I was that good at it.

Post by Guest Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:09 am

^Well,you are quite talented doing games,maybe you can try contacting them,who knows how it can turn out!

I didn't do Misha/Shizune route only,and I didn't make the other's all good,bad and neutral endings,I'll save that to when I get a good guide.
    Indeed the characters and artworks are awesome,the plot was good too,but somewhat superficial at some points,and could be bigger with each character.

Post by Guest Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:48 am

Jintoki wrote:^Oooh, I really enjoyed Devil on G-String. Except...well, I didn't know it was an H game when I first started playing it, so I was a bit blindsided by that aspect, but I still enjoyed the plot.
    ...I actually forgot about that. H isn't the first thing I think of when Devil on G-String is talked about. It blindsided me too.

Radical Dreamers is a VN, I think... One with minor RPG elements (there are random encounters, but you don't have any visible stat screens or inventory that I know of). It's for the SNES. I've tried getting through it in the past. Don't know if I'll get any farther this time.
    Jintoki
    Jintoki

Post by Jintoki Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:53 pm

*casts revive on topic*

I just finished Chaos;Head, which is by the same creators as Steins;Gate.  Really good.  I enjoyed the characters, especially the main character.  He was extremely flawed, but I don't mind flawed characters.  The ending was kind of rushed/weak, but that's because I didn't get the right one.  But usually once I've gotten one ending, I tend not go to back and get any others, unless it's something I really, really like.

Right now, I've decided to give Higurashi a chance.  I'm not really too far into it, but it's been okay.  Their big, blob hands keep distracting me.  The art style really did improve with Umineko...
    LadyTwi
    LadyTwi

Post by LadyTwi Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:08 pm

I am reviving this thread so I can recommend Ever17. One of its writers is the guy who did 999 and VLR, so you know it has to be good. I'm currently on the final route and dear lord I love this visual novel so much.
    Jintoki
    Jintoki

Post by Jintoki Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:41 pm

^I've heard of that! I remember hearing about it at some of the visual novel panels I went to at some cons. I'd totally be interested, since I loved 999 and VLR, but I heard it's hard to find. Well, I suppose there are other ways...

Since I posted last, I delved into Danganronpa and loved it to pieces. I, like Twi, have preordered the collector's edition for the sequel. XD

On Kickstarter, I funded Sunrider and Exogenesis, both promising looking visual novels that I highly recommend. Both are made in Ren'Py, the same engine I've used in the past.

And...I still haven't beaten Higurashi. I'm on the third chapter. I'm still not liking it as much as Umineko, but it has its fair share of creepy moments. I love them most of all, over the cringe worthy moe segments.
    Shizukesa
    Shizukesa

Post by Shizukesa Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:08 pm

dude how can i make one of these myself???? :2thumbs: really how do i do it??
    katimus_prime
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:32 pm

I know Jin made his with Ren'Py - http://www.renpy.org/
    I was thinking about taking a crack at it myself, but I'll probably have to wait another 10 years until I have enough free time. T_T
    Jintoki
    Jintoki

Post by Jintoki Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:08 pm

Ren'Py is amazing. You can make a game as simple as a kinetic novel to a fullblown RPG (though the coding would probably be a bit complicated).

visualnovelty.com is also a good engine. It's a lot easier than Ren'Py, but it's not quite as powerful.

@Kat: I could always help you out on a project!
    Shizukesa
    Shizukesa

Post by Shizukesa Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:47 pm

is it free?? if its free im in!!!
    Jintoki
    Jintoki

Post by Jintoki Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:55 am

Both Ren'Py and Novelty are totally free! Now, you'll have to use your own artwork, music, sound effects, etc., but there are also several places to find free, non-copyrighted materials as well:  http://wiki.renai.us/wiki/Pre-Made_Assets

Oh, and speaking of visual novels, a friend just informed me that Steins;Gate is going to Vita and PS3 in North America and Europe: http://www.ricedigital.co.uk/steins-gate-ps-vita-ps3-coming-2015/ As a fan of the anime and Chaos;Head, I'm really excited about this!
    Shizukesa
    Shizukesa

Post by Shizukesa Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:59 pm

thanks. is there any additional info on how to make one? and generally what do visual novels look like so ive got an idea how to put it together for the feel of it?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:08 am