Xeno Fannage!

Vagrant Story

katimus_prime
    Administrator

Vagrant Story

Post by katimus_prime on Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:58 pm

I cannot express how much I love this title. I have its tag tracked on Tumblr, but even then, it's kinda not enough. I wish there was a game this tough and addictive around today. I'm just glad it's on the PSN now.

"There is no growth without birth.  Without a foothold in the past, we cannot walk toward the future.  Get thee gone, darkness!"
    salut hurricane

Re: Vagrant Story

Post by salut hurricane on Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:03 am

HOHKAY.
    I met Vagrant Story around 2005 on the Internet because that's when I started looking up recommended titles, and gave up since I had no idea where to find it and I'm poor and couldn't shell out the 70 bucks + shipping (no job at the time). But oh god just watching playthroughs was enough to make me want to make verbal love to it. Apart from being one of the most celebrated localizations EVER, it has the neatest combat system! I love the fact that you could get trounced on your first playthrough by just about anyone. Only time that ever happened to me outside of VS was in Valkyrie Profile, and that's saying something.

Why I love VS: DAT ART, DAT GAMEPLAY, DAT MUSIC, DAT ASSLEY RIOT.

Ashley Riot is Solid Snake, loud butt-shots INCLUDED. Unf. <3
    Xernova
    Xerno Res Novae

Post by Xernova on Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:09 am

Vagrant Story = awesome

Although I found the game hard to get into at first -one of the hardest to get into ever- because the gameplay was seriously a challenge for me to get a good grip on. But once I mastered it, the game became so much fun.

The story is also fantastic. It's no doubt the darkest Ivalice game to date, for which I can only praise it. Also one of the few games where I had no idea who the true villain would be. Quite impressive how

Spoiler:
    Guildenstern succeeds to take the spot of main villain; I never expected him to outlast Sydney, tbh (of course, Sydney isn't a true villain to begin with). But somehow he did. The final battle against him used to give me a lot of trouble too >.>

(not so with my latest playthrough).
    I currently still have the game as I bought it from PSN and have already done a full playthrough again on my PS3. As for the Iron Maiden bonus dungeon, not yet! I was planning to get all the Titles this time, but quickly gave up on that because of the 30-chain-combo requirement for one of the Titles (30 chains!? I can't pull that off no matter how hard I try; I admit defeat!).

I've got a work-in-progress New Game+ playthrough where I try to create the ultimate Damascus Shield. I regret ever starting this challenge, because the amount of materials needed for this requires 500+ other shields to work with. xD Every now and then I'll go collect a few shields and perhaps in 2015 or so, I'll have my ultimate Damascus Shield (lolz).

So yes, once in a while I still play it. Because it's a game worth playing. :]

katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime on Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:18 pm

It is totally worth the replay value.

Also, spoilers...
    Spoiler:
    I was totally ready to hate Sydney something fierce, but when the story unfolded, I was surprised to see that he wasn't the big bad.  I liked actually being able to kill Guildenstern in the face.  Especially after WHAT HE DID to Samantha.

Also, I feel like the only person in the universe who ships Sydney and Hardin instead of Sydney and Ashley.  Syd/Ash is obvious, but so is Syd/Hardin. >_>

It's just slightly more painful because of
    Spoiler:
    lies and stuff.

"There is no growth without birth.  Without a foothold in the past, we cannot walk toward the future.  Get thee gone, darkness!"

Post by Guest on Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:59 am

This is one of those games I always wanted to get, but I didn't ever do it. I think my boyfriend may have a copy somewhere. I will have to give it a try. The graphics looks surprisingly good for a PS1 title.
    salut hurricane

Post by salut hurricane on Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:11 pm

I don't think the Syd/Hardin ship is really that obscure, is it? I mean I was more into Sydney/Hardin myself since Ashley is meant to be a loveless vessel for The Dark. He's too cool for romancing school. I guess since VS' fandom I assume is rather small that the shipping isn't really all that widespread.

Oh yeah, speaking of replay value. Those optional dungeons that open up were so much fun! Iron Maiden I dont' think I've gone through yet myself. The 30+ chain combo thing I found was way easier on PSP than on PS3 for some reason :I
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime on Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:18 pm

Playing the original title on the PS1 at the moment because for some reason, I haven't PSN'd it yet. orz I still have all my Riskbreaker reflexes.

And yeah, currently, shipping is something that's on the low end at the moment in VS. The VS tumblr tag is full of people just barely remembering it or having just discovered it, or reblogging old fanart. I think now maybe there might be more people interested in S/H now, but I guess I was sitting on an S/A tap when I was first in the fandom that I still remember that part more vividly. Ashley is amazeballs, though. I have a hard time imagining him being with anyone long-term? Sort of like James Bond?

RED ODA

Post by RED ODA on Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:46 pm

One of my favorite game ever and actually the only Matsumoto's work that I like, FXII is good but not that good and FFT is nah...Iam thinking about collecting things of this game too, just got the Ultimania a few day ago.

salut hurricane

Post by salut hurricane on Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:51 pm

I'm hard up for Ivalice anything really, there's something about the world I really like. It could be the Chocobos. Anyway, bumping the topic because I remembered this AMV for VS. IT DOES HAVE SPOILERS IN IT OK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enACK0xhZ60
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime on Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:03 pm

Oh my stars and garters, an AMV! That was awesome! Thank you for the share! :3

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:46 pm