Xeno Underground

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Xeno Metaseries Community

Hello, this forum is in read-only mode. There is another forum at https://godsibb.net.

5 posters

Looking For Contributors!

katimus_prime
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Looking For Contributors! Empty Looking For Contributors!

Post by katimus_prime Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:30 am

Hey folks!
    I haven't been feeling so good lately on top of being busy at work, which has impacted my ability to work on the site. I know that coding most of it in solid HTML instead of going with a Web 2.0 interface like Wordpress has limited my ability to get help on things for the site when they're missing. There is the wiki, but I was wondering if people were looking for something more than that, like the ability to write and publish their own articles for XU, or maybe even keep their own blogs hosted here.

I know that a Forum system is a little old school, and we do have most of the material that used to be up on Godsibb, and I want to fill in the holes, but I can't do it on my own anymore. I've discussed this with the current staff and we're all pretty open to see if you guys would be interested in helping bring more to the site itself. If not, that's cool, too. If no one comes forward, it just means that things will happen at the same slow pace that they've been happening at for the past year, which actually isn't so bad, because there's nothing extremely pressing at the moment.
    Neosmith

Looking For Contributors! Empty Re: Looking For Contributors!

Post by Neosmith Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:43 pm

I am very intrigued by the blog system idea, as I'm still intent on getting my old columns up.

I wish I could help with the actual coding, but I don't know the first thing about HTML.
    katimus_prime
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:12 pm

I could set you up a wordpress blog with a snap of a finger. All I'd need to know is what address you'd like.

It's fine about not knowing HTML. At this point in the game, I'm lucky to know people that still do. If I had more time, I'd love to teach anyone interested in helping, but as it stands, I don't have the energy.
    stitchedmoon
    stitchedmoon

Post by stitchedmoon Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:50 am

I might be able to facilitate some basic HTML-learning, if needed? I mean, my web design skillz are kind of still stuck in a time warp to 1999 and doing everything the stupid hard way, but I'd be happy to share what I know! :>

LadyTwi
    LadyTwi
    Inquisitor Extraordinaire

Post by LadyTwi Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:12 am

Maybe it would be helpful to write a post just going over basic HTML that would be needed for working with the site? I mean we could probably Google "How to HTML" but it would probably have a bunch of junk we wouldn't really need.
    katimus_prime
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:34 pm

Since the HTML used to code the pages here isn't actually all that complicated, having a guide available for how our template works would be an awesome thing to have. :3 I think I have at least a partial guide up in the admin section that I could put in a more accessible place for those interested.It's not terribly original, and most of the way a person learns to code is to poach the code from an existing source and tweak it to fit whatever you need it for.
    Yikari
    Yikari

Post by Yikari Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:11 pm

My knowledge on the subject is about as that of your average teakettle, so I won't be able to contribute to this, unfortunately.

I'm not sure that the demand for technical improvements is currently all that pressing though. It's not like the game we all so eagerly await the release of is gonna come out and drop the site with all that increased traffic next month, is it?

I'd say getting people out of their funk and motivating more discussions until the next dose of Xeno comes round again would be a more pressing (and, arguably, a more difficult) task.
    stitchedmoon
    stitchedmoon

Post by stitchedmoon Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:14 pm

katimus_prime wrote:most of the way a person learns to code is to poach the code from an existing source and tweak it to fit whatever you need it for.

Hee, that's how I learned back in ye olden days.  I'd be willing to provide additional HTML tech support for anyone who's interested, also.

Last edited by stitchedmoon on Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:10 am; edited 1 time in total
    Neosmith

Post by Neosmith Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:56 pm

katimus_prime wrote:I could set you up a wordpress blog with a snap of a finger.  All I'd need to know is what address you'd like.
    I might take you up on that later. Really busy with term paper right now myself

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:44 pm