Xeno Underground

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Xeno Metaseries Community

Hello, this forum is in read-only mode. There is another forum at https://godsibb.net.

+7
stitchedmoon
katimus_prime
RadicalDreamer
TheMagician
Yikari
Ben
Shizukesa
11 posters

what are you into?

Shizukesa
    Shizukesa

what are you into? Empty what are you into?

Post by Shizukesa Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:52 pm

whats everyone into as far as stuff you like hobbies etc?
    Ben
    Ben

what are you into? Empty Re: what are you into?

Post by Ben Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:20 pm

As far as I go, I'm really into music.  I play guitar (poorly) and collect vinyl, that's my main hobby outside of retro games.  I'm still into a lot of new music, mainly alternative.  If you're looking for good new alternative music (and since it's hard to find good stuff since itunes allows anyone and everyone), you might check out http://www.3wk.com  It's a great online alternative station, and the DJs are pretty good about digging through the torrent of stuff that comes out now.  That's one thing that drives me crazy, people say "There's no good rock music anymore", but 99% of them never even bother to research new bands.  3wk is how I find most of them, they list the last 20 songs/artists, so if you hear something good you can look it up and then get the album.

Outside of music, I'm really into classic movies, especially Kubrick films.  A great resource if you are interested is http://www.dvdbeaver.com  It compares releases and extra features of various films, plus links to deals on amazon and other sites.  I'm not a huge fan of what Hollywood or the few remaining Indie film makers are doing right now, but there's enough classic stuff out there for one lifetime as it is anyway.  As far as directors I like, the ones who deal with philosophical issues (not unlike Takahashi) are my favorite.  So people like Werner Herzog, Wim Wender, Ozu, Kurosawa, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Terrence Malick, etc.   I like a lot of anime as well, but mostly older stuff, Miyazaki and Tomino in particular.  I think that's why I enjoyed the Xeno games so much, the influence of so much great music with Mitsuda's score and Takahashi's knowledge of film really appealed to me.
    Yikari
    Yikari

Post by Yikari Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:36 am

Well, my post is gonna look wishy-washy compared to Ben's, but that's the truth:

I don't know.

I watch some movies, I listen to some music, I read some books, I play some games, I am a bit of a manga and anime fan, I like some of the 'quests' Spacebattles have going on on one of their subforums but nothing really noteworthy about any of those. I like a whole slew of different things for different reasons.

It actually feels a bit strange to me to see other people being able to list their 'likes' in a short and concise manner. Very Happy
    TheMagician
    TheMagician

Post by TheMagician Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:37 am

Not a whole heck of a lot honestly. I don't watch much TV these days because I can't put up with what people try to pass as entertainment in most cases (I prefer the stuff I grew up with). On the other hand, I'm into anime, but I haven't seen a lot of different series yet. Oh, and I like listening to music too. It depends on my mood, but its good for generating some thought while I'm not doing anything in particular (if I'm in the middle of something, then it'll just serve as a distraction).

One thing is definitely for certain though. I am a gamer. I like to be very thorough with the games I play, so I spend a lot of time on them when I go at it (even for something as simple as a fighter). The final thing I think is worth mentioning is drawing. That's one hell of an ancient hobby for me as I've been doing it since I was just a child. Today, when I'm extremely bored, I'll bust out that pencil and paper and draw away. I won't know what I'll create as I tend to make these things work as I go. lol

And that's what I do in a nutshell. Very Happy
    RadicalDreamer
    RadicalDreamer

Post by RadicalDreamer Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:21 pm

Aside gaming ?

Well, I draw. Not as much as I should (since I want to work on animated movies or games) but I'm working on that. I try to get better at painting sometimes too. I watch movies, trying to catch up on all the good stuff I missed. I hang around the internet (Youtube, Tumblr...). I hug/play with my cat. I also love going to the zoo. I love animals and I like to draw them... even if I admit it can be actually depressing to see them in cages (I felt so bad for an orangutan especially because he looked so done with everything and the way he looked at me was so human, kinda wanted to give him a hug... that was an uncomfortable moment and it depressed and made me think a bit for the rest of the day).

I used to LOVE swimming but I got a complex about my skin for a long time. It's been a while since I went to the pool but I got back to swimming at the beach last year. It felt great. I kinda wish I could go sea diving too (with dolphins... oh man, that's one of my dreams). Currently, I try to exercise to feel better in my own body. It's not like I'm fat but I just need to let go of this negative energy that sometimes makes it impossible for me to focus on something without getting... well nervous. This and I'm afraid I neglected my muscles for too long so exercising again is good (I may also secretly like it when it hurts the day after :biggrin2: ).

I'm getting back to writing too. Used to love that until depression/school f*** it up. And I love to read books, of course. But I don't read as much as I used to though (last books I read were some Philip K. Dick novels... that was last summer). And save for a few fandom/pairings (I could count them on one single hand really), I actually don't read that much fanfics (when it comes to gaming for example, I only read Xenogears' fanfics *and bad luck, there aren't a lot or they stay unfinished*... and some FF ones but that was a long time ago). I don't exactly know why that is. I love stuff in many fandoms but I only feel the need to read fanfics for a select few of them. However, I go crazy over fanarts, ahah. My computer is filled with them.
    Ben
    Ben

Post by Ben Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:55 pm

Yikari wrote:Well, my post is gonna look wishy-washy compared to Ben's, but that's the truth:

I don't know.

I watch some movies, I listen to some music, I read some books, I play some games, I am a bit of a manga and anime fan, I like some of the 'quests' Spacebattles have going on on one of their subforums but nothing really noteworthy about any of those. I like a whole slew of different things for different reasons.

It actually feels a bit strange to me to see other people being able to list their 'likes' in a short and concise manner. Very Happy
    I'm just one of those people that keyed in on the things I liked really early in life I guess.  From a pretty young age I loved hanging out at second hand stores and flea markets, just digging through the old records and movies (well, and games too  :biggrin2: )..  Actually I think my biggest regret is that there aren't still real local radio stations with DJ's, I think that probably would have been my calling, either that or doing movie reviews if newspapers weren't all but dead too.  I've been kicking around the idea of a blog/review website, but I'm a horrible procrastinator and really busy with work so who knows if it'll happen.

Also, @RadicalDreamer, I'm with you on the Xenogears fanfiction.  It seems like there would have been more interest seeing as how it was never finished and Perfect Works already gives you a great outline to start from.  It's weird how certain series connect with people that way, I think more often than not it's caused by people wanting to change a story than continue one.   Just look at all of the FFVII fanfiction people wrote where Cloud ends up with Aeris, I think half of Geocities was that.
    katimus_prime
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:08 pm

As for me, art comes first. I love looking at production sketches of other designers like Eyvind Earle, Peter Chung and Robert Valley. I also really love impressionism, abstraction and cubism. For a while, I used to collect ads from Vogue as references for art. I also have html and css coding as a hobby. My favorite kind of music is electronic dance music. I miss having time to devote to my hobbies. T_T
    stitchedmoon
    stitchedmoon

Post by stitchedmoon Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:55 pm

Outside of drawing and the internets, my hobbies are cooking and gardening (I'm terrible at both, but slightly worse at gardening), and I like walking in towns or parks with interesting scenery. Also deep down inside my soul is a frustrated amateur archaeologist/art historian who desperately wants to believe I didn't waste four and a half years and several thousand bucks on an antiquated degree with no practical application in the modern world, so I like going to museums and learning about old stuff and different cultures and stuff. Basically I guess I'm a boring 80-year-old fart disguised as a 28-year-old on the internet.
    Tehrin
    Tehrin

Post by Tehrin Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:52 pm

I'm into Japanese street fashion (lolita fashion particularly), cosplay, art, webdesign (even though I don't do it much anymore) and I make jewelry to sell. I also like to write but I'm not too great at it, and probably because I don't read nearly enough or spend enough time writing. I go to conventions a lot. I've also become a star trek nerd. Oh, and I from time to time collect old 80's toys and try to restore them because it's fun.
    stitchedmoon
    stitchedmoon

Post by stitchedmoon Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:34 pm

^ Rin! What kinds of 80s toys are you collecting? :3c I've been going through some of my old stuff at my mom's house that might be relevant to your interests, but I dunno. ^^;

Monstrocker
    Monstrocker

Post by Monstrocker Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:59 pm

.: Hmmm... I'm mostly into drawing and animation. Drawing has a major impact in my life because everything I see is creativity.
    Shizukesa
    Shizukesa

Post by Shizukesa Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:14 am

i like to write fan fiction, draw all different styles & mediums currently tyring to pick one to keep & ditch the rest & just get really good at that. im traditional & seem to have an issue coloring cuz im not that good at it. xd
    katimus_prime
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:38 pm

Shizukesa wrote:i like to write fan fiction, draw all different styles & mediums currently tyring to pick one to keep & ditch the rest & just get really good at that. im traditional & seem to have an issue coloring cuz im not that good at it. xd

Deciding on one style is something that helps you create and maintain a creative identity, but I've found in my case that it's become somewhat limiting.  Just pick up and have fun, I says!  Traditional mediums are awesome!  I love getting messy with them.  owo
    Shizukesa
    Shizukesa

Post by Shizukesa Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:09 am

lol if you want to check me out im HVV on da. im traditional i use staples line markers smuge & water resistant cuz if your markers are not smuge or water reistant as soon as you use a 2nd color it destroys the crap out of it. then your black line marker is smeared across the page blah! same goes for markers but the regular crappy markers you buy in the store sharpies are best they dont smear or smudge & are water resistant but you cant blend them. and they have no skin color choices so they kinda crappy xd. i bought expinsive ones dick blick supposed to be professional markers but i think they feel simi pro. sry i dont have the magic copis xd. but at $12 who could >.<

price verses quality dick blick are better but not the best. copics are the best but we normal ppl cant afford that xd. they want $8 for shipping though.

right now i am creating one drawing. i have lined it the way i always draw. i printed it & made 4 copies. i have colored the same pc printed line art (not the original) in colored pencil just the crap down the walmart isle, crayons, next im going to use mix of my blick markers & some crappy down the isle markers possibly i can mix marker types cuz usually i doont i just use all blick & maybe it still come out decent. also gonna get the acrylic paint dusted off xd i have old paint i dont use as attempt to use it to get rid of the paint im gonna start painting my drawings something ive never done. im gonna scan & stick all color mediums on da.
    BlueMetal
    BlueMetal

Post by BlueMetal Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:00 am

Aside from gaming, I'm a nerd with electronics. I build and fix computers (I recently rebuilt mine inside of a new Corsair Air 540 cube case. It's pretty sweet), and I modify and fix controllers and game consoles with the skills I learned at my community college's electronics and soldering classes. No longer do I consider something broken and useless. It is instead labeled spare parts. :laugh4:

I'm also a guitar player, and used to play drums and bass. Just guitar was the most ideal for me. I'm crap at writing music, but I'm working on it. I definitely can play though. You could say I'm one of those shredder guys. Speed and complexity is just so fun!

Basically, I'm all about using my hands. If there's something where I can't constantly move my fingers, then I'll get bored of it, haha.
    Ben
    Ben

Post by Ben Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:46 am

BlueMetal wrote:Aside from gaming, I'm a nerd with electronics. I build and fix computers (I recently rebuilt mine inside of a new Corsair Air 540 cube case. It's pretty sweet), and I modify and fix controllers and game consoles with the skills I learned at my community college's electronics and soldering classes. No longer do I consider something broken and useless. It is instead labeled spare parts. :laugh4:

I'm also a guitar player, and used to play drums and bass. Just guitar was the most ideal for me. I'm crap at writing music, but I'm working on it. I definitely can play though. You could say I'm one of those shredder guys. Speed and complexity is just so fun!

Basically, I'm all about using my hands. If there's something where I can't constantly move my fingers, then I'll get bored of it, haha.
    Just out of curiosity, what guitar do you play?  I'm a bit of a Gibson guy myself, but I have a knock off Japanese Les Paul from the 80's, hopefully someday I'll get a real Custom.
    BlueMetal
    BlueMetal

Post by BlueMetal Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:20 pm

Ben wrote:
    Just out of curiosity, what guitar do you play?  I'm a bit of a Gibson guy myself, but I have a knock off Japanese Les Paul from the 80's, hopefully someday I'll get a real Custom.
    I play mainly on an Ibanez Xiphos, but sometime in the future (No idea when) I intend on getting either the Rusty Cooley or Buckethead signature. Either one I can manage.
    Tehrin
    Tehrin

Post by Tehrin Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:51 am

stitchedmoon wrote:^ Rin!  What kinds of 80s toys are you collecting? :3c  I've been going through some of my old stuff at my mom's house that might be relevant to your interests, but I dunno. ^^;

Mostly 80's MLP, but Care Bears, Popples, Strawberry Shortcake, Wuzzles, Teddy Ruxpin, Gem~ lol. You know 80's girl stuff.
    salut hurricane
    salut hurricane

Post by salut hurricane Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:55 pm

katimus_prime wrote:For a while, I used to collect ads from Vogue as references for art.
    ^ How very Naoko Takeuchi!

Putting aside gaming and experiencing fiction (reading/watching/playing)...
    I love creating. Mainly I draw and write since it's the easiest to access but if I could I'd start sewing/sculpting/building junk with power tools. While I love listening to music and covering songs I like, I've never been one to write my own. I like hanging around and caring for animals too (save for ones that don't like me, hahahahaha). I was thinking of getting more into gardening. And while it's nearly impossible to get me to actually start, once I've started I actually like working out.  I'm also very into histories of language, philosophy, and historiography. Geography/Urban Planning is cool too.
    Shizukesa
    Shizukesa

Post by Shizukesa Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:31 pm

ive got a starcaster by fender. my amp i just got 2 weeks ago its a marshal mg15cfx. im not sure how to use it yet but i can turn it on lol. i dunno how to tune so i only have regular tuning. i know what a hammeron,pulloff, slide & vibrato are. chords are confusing cuz i dunno which strings i play when strumming & which i dont. i only know tabs but not well cuz i think you gotta hear & know the way a song sounds in your head you cant just play the thing.  :dizz: my 1st song i have picked cuz im new marilyn manson fan as of a year ago in october 2012. the only song i knew was sweet dreams which lead me to least we forget videos on youtube. then i became a huge fan. then i wanted to know what was new with the band so i got born villain. loved it. so much so that i got mechanical animals, holywood & guns god & government & recently found smells like childern for $5 lol.

so i was watching guns god & government which is supposed to be a mini tour to support/promote holywood i had no idea what marilyn manson was like on stage i only saw official vids. some stuff i liked some stuff i didnt some stuff was wierd xd. being a chic its always extra fun to see a guys butt so im looking at brian just cuz hes showing it lol but for some reason i kept staring at this guitar player. i started making fun of him like i wonder if he ever has to call in sick or something because he got a kink in his neck lol oh sry guys i cant preform tonight i got a seriously bad crink in my neck lol. he rocked & i had to know all about him so i found out he had a solo cd god told me too & then found out he plays w/ rob zombie now & so does ginger fish. so i totally listen to john 5 & rob zombie but i will never love zombie as much as i love marilyn manson.

so thats my fan story lol. now my 1st song im trying to learn (to be just like j5) is sweet dreams but it sucks cuz i can only play 1st riff i dunno second riff. :huh:  so its hard to play i dunno if im supposed to play a power chord next or if its just a chord & so far im not fond of chords. im working on dexterity cuz i have none & it doesnt seem like something a person keeps & still has after they put down their guitar. *stands up stretches oh my dexterity is gone* my speed is not that great but im not like all pittiful either for a newbie xd.

ive been useing my 1st,3rd & 4th fingers to play the 1st riff its how the guy on youtube showed me. but ive been very bored of it im not getting anywhere i dunno the next part why is this so hard?  :furious3:  then i just become a fleshy lump xd  :dead3:  cuz its totally boring to not know how to do anything besides one riff:blank2:  so i started useing different fingers to play the same 1st riff. im adding my 3rd finger to it to get the low e instead of 1st finger just before the slide to 6th fret i used to use my 3rd for slide but i started useing my 4th instead then up to 3rd fret same fingers ideally it leaves the 1st & 3rd fingers free to find original placement for first half of the riff. i still cant perfect either fingering xd  :frown3:
    Ben
    Ben

Post by Ben Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:21 am

Shizukesa wrote:ive got a starcaster by fender. my amp i just got 2 weeks ago its a marshal mg15cfx. im not sure how to use it yet but i can turn it on lol. i dunno how to tune so i only have regular tuning. i know what a hammeron,pulloff, slide & vibrato are. chords are confusing cuz i dunno which strings i play when strumming & which i dont. i only know tabs but not well cuz i think you gotta hear & know the way a song sounds in your head you cant just play the thing. :dizz: my 1st song i have picked cuz im new marilyn manson fan as of a year ago in october 2012. the only song i knew was sweet dreams which lead me to least we forget videos on youtube. then i became a huge fan. then i wanted to know what was new with the band so i got born villain. loved it. so much so that i got mechanical animals, holywood & guns god & government & recently found smells like childern for $5 lol.

so i was watching guns god & government which is supposed to be a mini tour to support/promote holywood i had no idea what marilyn manson was like on stage i only saw official vids. some stuff i liked some stuff i didnt some stuff was wierd xd. being a chic its always extra fun to see a guys butt so im looking at brian just cuz hes showing it lol but for some reason i kept staring at this guitar player. i started making fun of him like i wonder if he ever has to call in sick or something because he got a kink in his neck lol oh sry guys i cant preform tonight i got a seriously bad crink in my neck lol. he rocked & i had to know all about him so i found out he had a solo cd god told me too & then found out he plays w/ rob zombie now & so does ginger fish. so i totally listen to john 5 & rob zombie but i will never love zombie as much as i love marilyn manson.

so thats my fan story lol. now my 1st song im trying to learn (to be just like j5) is sweet dreams but it sucks cuz i can only play 1st riff i dunno second riff. :huh: so its hard to play i dunno if im supposed to play a power chord next or if its just a chord & so far im not fond of chords. im working on dexterity cuz i have none & it doesnt seem like something a person keeps & still has after they put down their guitar. *stands up stretches oh my dexterity is gone* my speed is not that great but im not like all pittiful either for a newbie xd.

ive been useing my 1st,3rd & 4th fingers to play the 1st riff its how the guy on youtube showed me. but ive been very bored of it im not getting anywhere i dunno the next part why is this so hard? :furious3: then i just become a fleshy lump xd :dead3: cuz its totally boring to not know how to do anything besides one riff:blank2: so i started useing different fingers to play the same 1st riff. im adding my 3rd finger to it to get the low e instead of 1st finger just before the slide to 6th fret i used to use my 3rd for slide but i started useing my 4th instead then up to 3rd fret same fingers ideally it leaves the 1st & 3rd fingers free to find original placement for first half of the riff. i still cant perfect either fingering xd :frown3:

If you need any basic pointers, I've been playing since I was 13, but I took about a 6 year break from 2005-2011 so I'm just slowly getting back into playing.  It's kind of hard, over the internet, but if I can help I'd be glad to.  One thing I would recommend, Jamie Andreas has some fantastic free guitar lesson videos on Youtube:  https://www.youtube.com/user/GuitarPrinciples  It's acoustic, but the principles are all the same.  Also, I would recommend learning some songs that don't use a lot of chords, first.  One of the songs I learned first was Coconut by Harry Nilsson, because it's all in C7th.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aA9OqUuA6a0 My advice would be start slow learning one chord at a time, and googling songs that are only in that chord and then googling the tabs for that song.  When you feel comfortable, add another chord, google songs that use the 2 you have now mastered, and repeat.  You can get the tabs for pretty much any song with Google these days, too.
    BlueMetal
    BlueMetal

Post by BlueMetal Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:00 am

I agree with Ben. That is some useful advice.

Don't learn the guitar like I did. I didn't care too much about theory, non-power chords and what not. I just cared about techniques and hard garbage. I basically learned the guitar backwards. I can play fast and rather clean, but throw musical terms at me and tell me to play X chord in the key of Y, I'm totally lost. Definitely not proud of that, haha. But I do intend to learn actual music later on so that I'm not playing mindless crap and can write something musically coherent. Quite overdue after what, 8 years of playing? Then again I did treat it as just a hobby, not really a serious one.

Plenty of free lesson videos and channels on YouTube and all around the internet. One particular site I use for guitar tabs is http://www.ultimate-guitar.com .
    Shizukesa
    Shizukesa

Post by Shizukesa Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:14 pm

thanks i will watch everything i can. i saw this guy cant remember his name but he seems smart & it was 1 hour & 21 minutes of him on youtube explaing what to do w/ amps. it was very long & really started to bore me at some point but i really needed to learn it so i tollorated the rest of it xd. he sounds right about everything &

sounds like he actually knows what hes doing. im sry i dont remember the link but hes got lots of vids on lots of stuff. he told you the difference in how pickups sound & how you should adjust your amp depending on type of guitar your playing & modifying stuff decreeses value. no guitar is perfect cuz no manufacturer makes a perfect guitar so just buy what you like. he also shows you how to make a small & crappy amp sound good both in the house & for live preformance. he also showed me a thing i dunno the name of it sits in front of you & lets you hear your instument & when its live only you can hear it not your band or your crowd. and never put an amp on the floor.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:53 am