Xeno Underground

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Xeno Metaseries Community

Hello, this forum is in read-only mode. There is another forum at https://godsibb.net.

5 posters

What is the best choice of consoles ?

RadicalDreamer
    RadicalDreamer

What is the best choice of consoles ? Empty What is the best choice of consoles ?

Post by RadicalDreamer Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:30 pm

I actually plan to buy a new console for Christmas and I wanted your opinion on which console you think is best based on their library and maybe price.
    I'm looking at PS3, XBOX360, PSVita or Nintendo 3DS... not the most recent consoles which are overpriced and lacking in interesting games for now.

I'm leaning towards PS3 (huge library + lowered price) but still... there is the 3DS (but then again, I'm sick of seeing Mario everywhere and there aren't THAT much interesting games on it yet... and I heard Fire Emblem Awakening *one of the most attractive jRPG on the console* has chunks of its story in DLC... I hate those) with games like Ace Attorney 5 (one of my favorite series). XBOX360 seems empty (I looked at the library and the games are either available elsewhere or not really interesting to me... there is just a few interesting exclusive games I would miss, not much really).

Also, I'd like to know which games on those platforms are your favorites and which one would you basically recommand. I like RPGs (obviously, not sure I mind that much if they're japanese or not anymore, as long as they're good), original/creative games (so indie games for the most part I guess), games with great stories/characters (if those fail, a mindblowing gameplay and fantastic world/atmosphere could make me enjoy the ride *of course, i'd prefer games to be great as a whole lol*), adventure games with lots of fun things to do, i don't mind shooters as long as they aren't boring (I couldn't really stand the shooting in Bioshock Infinite while watching a LP so I doubt I would enjoy playing it... I heard the previous games were better balanced though and I LOVE the setting of this series in general)...
    Honestly, I think the only genres I mostly avoid are mindless war games and sports games (unless they're really original and meaty)... and I don't really care about online stuff (I could warm up to it I guess but if it isn't free, I'm out) and obnoxious DLCs (I mean, when it's obvious they could have put the content in the main game but didn't because PROFIT).
    BlueMetal
    BlueMetal

What is the best choice of consoles ? Empty Re: What is the best choice of consoles ?

Post by BlueMetal Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:21 pm

Of the platforms you listed, the ones I have are Xbox 360 and 3DS. I avoided the PS3 and Vita because I feel like the number of games on them that interested me wasn't high enough to justify buying the consoles. Which brings me to my number one point whenever I talk to someone about what console to buy:

Get the one that has the most games that interest you. :nice:

This is why I'm getting a Wii U this holiday over the Xbox One or PS4. Including what they have coming eventually, and what is out right now, the Wii U has more games on it that interest me.

The 360, while a large amount of it's games are multi-platform, most of those games are either more optimized for the 360, or they most likely have a much higher online population compared to the others. (Though that point only matters if you also have more friends on 360 to play/chat with than the other, or if you play multiplayer) I picked it because I love Halo and I have more 360-playing friends. Aside from Halo and Gears of War series, most of the games I have on it are multi-platform.

The 3DS, is what I recommend the most of the four you're thinking about. I can understand that you may be tired of seeing Mario all over it, but they are actually very good games, haha. There are also some remakes such as Zelda OoT and Starfox 64 if you don't mind those. For RPGs, there is Pokemon X/Y and Fire Emblem obviously, though my favorite RPG for it would be Project X Zone. (It has KOS-MOS and T-elos in it!) The eShop has a lot there too. The 3DS's library is growing a lot and quickly, as well as being backwards compatible with original DS. If it doesn't have much you like right now, it definitely will later I'm sure.

The PS3 and the Vita, I can't say much for unfortunately. I avoided them like I said because of the few amount of exclusives I wanted for them. The most I wanted was MGS4 for the PS3. One game isn't worth the whole console to me, especially since more of my friends play on 360 over PS3.

In the end though, I say that your best bet would be to look at all the games that interest you for each platform (Out now and ones in development) and go with the one that has the most. I still follow this rule even if there are games that I'm a die-hard fan for on another platform, hence why I'm skipping the Xbox One until there's more than Halo that I want for it. It's all about making sure that purchase was justified in the end. :pleased:
    LadyTwi
    LadyTwi
    Inquisitor Extraordinaire

What is the best choice of consoles ? Empty Re: What is the best choice of consoles ?

Post by LadyTwi Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:24 am

Of the ones you listed, I own the PS3, Vita, and 3DS. I've really enjoyed all three, though my PS3 probably hasn't seen as much use as my Vita and 3DS because I'm more of a handheld person. XD

Let's see, on the PS3 my favourites are Disgaea 3 and 4, and Tales of Graces F and Tales of Xillia. I know there are a lot more RPGs than that, but I haven't gotten around to playing them. XD Those are two of my favourite series though and they're basically why I got a PS3.

On the Vita I love Disgaea 3 (again lol) (SRPG), Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, Persona 4 Golden (RPG), and Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward (puzzle-solving adventure visual novel thing). I also have a smattering of PSP games that I bought off the PSN.

On the 3DS I love Fire Emblem Awakening (the story is absolutely not in the DLC I don't know who told you that, it's just extra stuff), Ace Attorney 5, Pokemon Y, and Devil Survivor Overclocked (RPG)! I don't have many games for this one yet since I've only had it since the beginning of the year.

Honestly, it comes down to the one that you think has the most games now and in the future that you'll want. I don't regret buying any of the ones I have here. I know how you feel about Nintendo having Mario all over everything but I think the 3DS does have good games aside from that (I couldn't resist buying mine because it's the limited edition Fire Emblem one).

The Vita doesn't really have much at this point either, though if you want to have a portable device with PSP and PS1 games on it too there are quite a few available on the PSN. Otherwise the PS3 would probably be a better choice over the Vita, since it can play those too, as well as PS2 classics.
    RadicalDreamer
    RadicalDreamer

Post by RadicalDreamer Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:52 pm

The 360, while a large amount of it's games are multi-platform, most of those games are either more optimized for the 360, or they most likely have a much higher online population compared to the others. (Though that point only matters if you also have more friends on 360 to play/chat with than the other, or if you play multiplayer) I picked it because I love Halo and I have more 360-playing friends. Aside from Halo and Gears of War series, most of the games I have on it are multi-platform.

I don't care that much for online stuff. I'm mostly a lonesome gamer lol. When you say "more optimized", you mean the graphics quality/loading time is affected ? I don't remember too well which consoles is the most powerful. Does it matter that much in the end ? If the games are playable, that's all that matter.
    I did some research and honestly, only those XBOX360 exclusive interests me :

- Lost Odyssey
    - Blue Dragon
    - Fable 2
    - Alan Wake (has a PC version)
    - Viva Pinata (has a PC version)
    - Fez (is playable via Steam)

My PS3 list looks like this :

- Beyond Two Souls
    - Demon's Souls
    - Disgaea 4
    - Heavenly Sword
    - Puppeteer
    - Rain
    - Journey
    - Guacamelee
    - Ratchet and Clank series
    - Tokyo Jungle
    - Uncharted series

My full list in actually much longer but it is filled with games I don't really know if I would LOVE... since they're mostly western titles (WRPGs *scared of getting bored by vapid fetch quests* and shooters *scared of getting bored and repulsed*, David Cage's games *not really tried playing full interactive movies*...). I mostly played jRPGs, Tim Schafer games and one PS2 Tomb Raider title (which felt weird for me to play... but it's good I guess) before.
    But there are a few Tales of to play on it (never bothered with this series before, and while I don't expect masterpieces... why not?), heard good things about Valkyria Chronicles/Star Ocean The Last Hope/Resonance of Fate(gameplay... much like VP2 I guess)/NIER, plus Vagrant Story in the european PSN (bastards didn't include FFTactics or Valkyrie Profile 1 *the original version* though...). Not sure if those are the only exclusives.
    Seems like PS3 may be a better fit for me... and yet I can't help having some doubts. I guess that's because I got stucked so long with the PS2/PS1 (and lastly Wii) and the gaming industry changed so much.

I guess the Vita isn't that interesting if I own a PS3 and I do think I'll purchase a 3DS in the future (having always bought Nintendo handheld consoles since the Gameboy), when the library will be fuller.

Well, thank you both ! I think I'll definitively go for a PS3. Now, the remaining issue is which version i'm going to get. Sony is kinda known for the frailty of its consoles (my PS2 is nearly close to death... still, she lasted something like 8 years, I guess it's good enough for a Sony console lol).
    katimus_prime
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:19 pm

Sorry to be a Johnny-Come-Lately on this, but the PS3 is worth its weight in gold. With the PSN, you have access to just about every PS1 era JRPG you could think of (exception being region-locks) and even the PS3's native JRPG library is sizable. One thing I would caution, though, is that they don't make PS3s like they used to. If you can get a refurbished one, it's worth it. Kare had a bunch of trouble with her new PS3.
    Jintoki
    Jintoki

Post by Jintoki Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:19 am

When I originally got a PS3, I was disappointed in the library. I probably had only two or three games the first year or two, so it was mainly a DVD/Blu-Ray player. But now I do believe it has more than made up for that drought. Some of the games I recommend, exclusive-wise, would be both of the Tales games (though I honestly preferred Tales of Graces F over Xillia, but both are great), the Atelier games (lighthearted item creation RPGs), The Last of Us, Metal Gear Solid 4, Heavy Rain, Valkyria Chronicles, Folklore (though it can be a little repetitive, the story and atmosphere are great), and Ni no Kuni. But there are also games I love on it that are multiplatform, such as The Walking Dead and Resonance of Fate.

The Vita, though, hasn't quite gotten over its drought like the PS3 did. I only have two games, Virtue's Last Reward and Gravity Rush, which the latter is fun purely for its crazy physics. XD Otherwise, I have a few PSP games on my Vita, since I missed out on really having a PSP.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:46 pm