Xeno Fannage!

Translation Central

Gwendal

Re: Translation Central

Post by Gwendal on Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:03 pm

Here you go. Sorry for the somewhat clunky term "wave motion", by the way, but it seemed like the best option in the end. Do you want the other half of the page about the Miltian Conflict too?

U-DO

Wave motion existence

A wave motion existence sealed in Old Miltia. It could be considered something akin to a disembodied entity, but its true form is the Zohar control system known as "Unus Mundus Operation", functioning as the core of the UMN.
    However, 14 years ago it erupted violently, driving the URTVs towards insanity and leaving many victims in its wake, leading up to a disturbance severe enough to cause Old Miltia itself to fall into a double black hole. While the direct cause of the fall into the double black hole was the Original Zohar, U-DO was the source of the insanity gripping the people.

U-DO and the URTVS

URTVs are beings endowed with various abilities in an attempt to achieve immortality, and as a consequence of those abilities, they can be defined as opposites [lit.: counter/anti-entities] to U-DO. URTVs and U-DO can be defined as entities having abilities that are in direct conflict to one another. That is to say, U-DO can be defined as an entity endowed with the power of death.

The URTVs were created decades before the eruption accident 14 years ago to oppose U-DO. Ultimately, then, U-DO, which was supposed to serve as the operating system of the UMN, did not attain the wave motion of death as a consequence of the eruption accident;

it had been in possession of it all along [lit.: before that].

A vision of the future

The vision of the future Nephilim showed to Shion and the others was a collision between U-DO, shown as a glow enveloping the planet, and the wave motion unleashed by KOS-MOS. This collision gave rise to a destructive effect powerful enough to vaporize a number of planets.

What was the wave motion unleashed by the fully complete KOS-MOS seen in this vision of the future? Weren't the URTVs the ones supposed to stand in opposition to U-DO? Could it possibly have been of the same quality as the glowing wave motion unleashed from Jr. And Albedo's bodies?

When it comes to U-DO, even this kind of definition, as well as the vision of the future, there is rather a lack of information, and it is difficult to discern much about their true natures.

Neosmith

Post by Neosmith on Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:29 pm

Wow. This is awesome. Thank you so much. Yeah, I'd love to see another take on the Miltian Conflict as well.

One question - does the Japanese refer to it as "Unus Mundus Operation" or "Unus Mundus Drive Operation"?

Gwendal

Post by Gwendal on Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:46 pm

No problem, and I'll gladly do the Miltian Conflict bit too. :)

And yes, I looked at it again, and it does actually say "Drive Operation". Really sorry about that slip-up, I have no idea how I missed that. It was a pretty long and convoluted sentence, so I guess I was a bit too quick with the katakana.

Gwendal

Post by Gwendal on Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:03 pm

Here's my take on the Miltian Conflict part. If there's anything else you want me to take a look at, I'll be happy to do so.

The Miltian Conflict

The Abyss

The region of space surrounding Old Miltia is sealed inside a double black hole spanning several light years. In common parlance, this situation is referred to as the region having "fallen into The Abyss". The Miltian Conflict 14 years ago was the incident that would lead to it being sealed off in this manner.

Outbreak of hostilities

There were numerous factors lining up to cause this historically significant incident to take place. Due to the "Song" emitted by the Song of Nephilim device, the Realians turned violent. This blood-stained tragedy centered on the Acute Neurosis Treatment Facility, where the device to spread the Song had been installed, and escalated from there. Furthermore, frightened by U-DO's eruption, Jr. closed his heart and severed his mental link with the other URTVs. As a consequence of this, the channel binding the URTVs to one another was left open and undefended, leading to their corruption by U-DO.

Due to the frenzy of the Realins and URTVs, Old Miltia turned into a battlefield, and the Galactic Federation government sent its armed forces to subjugate them. The commander of these Federation forces was Helmer, currently the true power behind the Second Miltian government. He is the one who found and rescued Jr., Gaignun and the others, severely wounded in the conflict, and later entrusted the two of them with the Kukai Foundation.

As a result of this conflict, the Orginal Zohar erupted. The Miltia Sector sunk into The Abyss. Through the three different violent eruptions of the Song of Nephilim, U-DO and the Original Zohar, many people had their lives upended in the Miltian Conflict, making it an event of great historical significance.

Those who escaped

Before Second Miltia sunk into The Abyss, its people were scrambling to get away. Only those determined to remain at any cost chose to do so. All those who remained fell into The Abyss and disappeared. Those who escaped made their way to Second Miltia, eventually seeing it as their new home.

Neosmith

Post by Neosmith on Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:08 pm

Awesome! Thanks a lot! I'll see if I can find those ODM interviews that were remaining untranslated. Not sure if I remember which ones they were though.

Neosmith

Post by Neosmith on Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:48 pm

So, I have a question about the new translation - you refer a few times to "eruption". I checked the original translations by Jinx, which use "going out of control" instead. Can you specify - what do you mean by "eruption"?

However, 14 years ago it went out of control, driving the U.R.T.V.s insane and victimizing many people...

Furthermore, Jr. closed his heart out of fear of U-DO's running out of control
    and cut the mental link with the other U.R.T.V.s.

Neosmith

Post by Neosmith on Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:48 pm

Hey, Gwendal. So, I have a few more requests. Mostly, this is to do with ODM pages that I don't believe were finished originally in their entirety.

p. 133: http://xeno-underground.net/odm/xsi_odm/xsi_odm_133.jpg
    Just the "Words of Wilhelm"

p. 123: http://xeno-underground.net/odm/xsi_odm/xsi_odm_123.jpg
    If you could provide a new take on the Canton Dream Syndrome, that would be greatly appreciated.

UPDATE: As it turns out, pages 60 and 152 are fully translated after all. Apologies for that.

Gwendal

Post by Gwendal on Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:34 pm

@Neosmith wrote:So, I have a question about the new translation - you refer a few times to "eruption". I checked the original translations by Jinx, which use "going out of control" instead. Can you specify - what do you mean by "eruption"?

However, 14 years ago it went out of control, driving the U.R.T.V.s insane and victimizing many people...

Furthermore, Jr. closed his heart out of fear of U-DO's running out of control
    and cut the mental link with the other U.R.T.V.s.

That term is a bit tricky to translate precisely, and both of those interpretations are probably valid. I suppose "going out of control" might be a better fit for the latter quote in particular, but since I'd already used "erupt" by then I felt like I should stick with it for consistency's sake. The dictionary defines it as "riot, mob, insurgency", but the first kanji also has the meaning of "violence" or "violent eruption", so I thought that was a better fit for the U-DO incident in particular. But the more I think about it, the more I tend towards favoring "going out of control" after all, so maybe that is the better phrasing.

I'll get started on the other requests soon.

Gwendal

Post by Gwendal on Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:24 pm

Here's my take on Words of Wilhelm. By the way, it might take a little longer than usual until I get to the next one, since I'll be away for a few days, and I'm also doing some other gaming-related translations. It's not forgotten, though. Smile

Words of Wilhelm

From this point we are entering the realm of speculation, but there is a distinct possibility that [he] undid the protection bestowed on MOMO by linking with the UMN, actived the Old Miltia UMN transfer column, and performed a gate jump by means of hyperspace navigation. Furthermore, this might be the very act we can see mentioned in Wilhelm's words, that "[he] will open the door to Abel's Ark".

From the words of the "man in the red cloak" at Wilhelm's side, who said "There's a possibility he might form a connection to U-DO again", it can be inferred that U-DO exists on the other side of the "door to Abel's Ark". Moreover, the "new phenomenon" that should make its appearance when Albedo forms a connection to U-DO can be considered the object these words are referring to.

Neosmith

Post by Neosmith on Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:02 pm

Cool! Okay, so I've got a couple of questions - you use the past tense "undid, activated, etc."

Can it be the future tense, as Albedo hasn't done any of this yet?

I'm also really confused by the last line. I don't think they refer to a new phenomenon previously. Can you clarify that a little?

Gwendal

Post by Gwendal on Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:44 pm

Again, I know it's taken a little while, but I should have the Canton Dream Syndrome part up tomorrow.

Your questions: tense is often tricky in Japanese, and I suppose it could be read that way, as future. Basically, the first verb "bestowed" is explicitly past, so I extrapolated from that since the rest were a bit ambiguous. About the last time, I have to admit I found that confusing myself too. Still, the text does definitely seem to say "new phenomenon" as far as I can tell.

Gwendal

Post by Gwendal on Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:38 pm

Here's the Canton Dream Syndrome part. Xenosaga really does manage to bring in a lot of different, obscure references. I never thought I'd need to look up the word for "ancient Chinese civil service exam" in Japanese. :)

Canton Dream Syndrome

In a place called Kantan* in Zhao, a young man named Rosei, who had failed his civil service entrance exam, borrowed a mysterious pillow said to "make the glory his to command" from an old Taoist sage named Ryo [or it could be part of his title rather than his name, not sure], who was boiling a pot of chestnuts. He then laid down for a nap. When he woke up from his nap, he was surprised to see his** fortunes and strength rise astonishingly quickly, and he was able to attain wealth and political power.

Rosei was very happy with this turn of events, but then he noticed the smell of boiling chestnuts. He opened his eyes, and saw old master Ryo still boiling his chestnuts. Furthermore, the chestnuts were hardly more cooked now than they had been when he borrowed the pillow. During the short time she slept, Rosei had had a dream where he attained great glory. His loves, his wars, his victories...all of it nothing but dream deeds.

Perhaps the life of every man is a dream?
    As we can see from this [legend], "The Pillow of Kantan", this way of thinking could already be found in ancient China. It can also be seen in some of the films that were made in America in the second half of the twentieth century and went on to take the world by storm. Appreciation of this sense of unease never goes away, ever enduring. We can see that it has a tendency to spreads by some chance in certain periods and grip the hearts of many people, shaking them.

In modern times, the same kind of phenomenon could be seen in the time soon after the Encephalon came into common use. “Is this reality? Or the Encephalon?” Numerous people had serious worries along those lines. The illness where the patient is consumed by this sense of unease is called “Canton Dream Syndrome”. The mass media sensationalized this as a brand new tragedy born of the Encephalon, but while this particular form of it might be a new occurrence, it is an old sense of unease that has been intimately familiar to many people since ancient times.

*I have to admit I know very little about Chinese history and geography. I seem to remember that you studied Chinese at one point, so maybe you know more about this. From what I could tell, though, this should really be "Canton Dream Syndrome". The place that used to be known "Canton" seens to be in southern China, while the place this story refers to is in the north, and apparently known as "Handan" in present-day China. This story is also apparently well-known in Japan, and there are several summaries, like this one:

http://theatrenohgaku.wordpress.com/2013/03/27/kantan-%E9%82%AF%E9%84%B2/

I don't know why it's so different from Xenosaga's version. In any case, I left it as "Canton" in the title and name of the syndrome for consistency.

**Maybe I'm misunderstanding something here, but I think there's actually a typo in the original text, where they use the character for the old man's name instead of the first character in Rosei. At least that's the only way it makes sense to me, but again, I'd have to ask a Japanese person to be sure.
    stitchedmoon

Post by stitchedmoon on Sun May 01, 2016 2:23 pm

So I'm going through this thread to edit the spacing and oh my god, how did I miss this:

@Gwendal wrote:

Planner/Battle Director
    Makoto Shimamoto
    [...]
    The characters you're all so fond of have also been powered up. Through the shift from an anime style to a more realistic style:
    Shion is even sexier!
    KOS-MOS is even cooler!
    Jr. is even more stylish!
    chaos is even more mysterious!
    Ziggy is even more fiery! [Lit.: "hotter", not sure if this also has the same sexual connotation it does in English]
    MOMO is even lovelier (to use an outdated term)!
    Ziggy is even more fiery! [Lit.: "hotter", not sure if this also has the same sexual connotation it does in English]
    *aggressively suggestive eyebrow raising*

Also:
    Kawasaki: Mr. Ebara, who plays Ziggy, really likes the smell of mint, and he'd do things like put mint extract on the back of the other actors' hands and on the recording equipment before he left.
    ...you could smell it through the whole studio.

So now I can't un-headcanon Ziggy putting mint everywhere and always smelling minty fresh. ;P Ziggy probably does it bc otherwise he'd just have the subtle essence of a garage full of old cars and dusty computers from the dawn of the information age, and he's a little self conscious about that

also who knew going through the entire Xenosaga discussion forum post by post would necro my Xeno-feels too ;m;

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:43 am