Xeno Underground

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Xeno Metaseries Community

Hello, this forum is in read-only mode. There is another forum at https://godsibb.net.

5 posters

Some Brief 'Essays'

Some Brief 'Essays' Empty Some Brief 'Essays'

Post by Guest Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:22 pm

Hey guys! Every now and then, I like to sit down and puke out some feelings and thoughts on these games... These are by no means formal essays, but rather casual gatherings of my thoughts on certain subjects. So far, I've done two of these:

Five Reasons You Shold Care About Gaignun:
    http://quitebrilliantindeed.tumblr.com/post/57586257924/5-reasons-why-you-should-care-about-gaignun-or

In Defense of Shion:
    http://quitebrilliantindeed.tumblr.com/post/60465354598/in-defense-of-shion-uzuki

Some of you might be interested in reading them?? Maybe?? I'll likely do some more of these at some point or another-- I have a number of subjects in mind. C: (Comparing the Variants, A Feminist Take on Citrine, Comparing the Uzuki Siblings... I could go on and on!)
    katimus_prime
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Some Brief 'Essays' Empty Re: Some Brief 'Essays'

Post by katimus_prime Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:52 am

Omg, those are awesome! Which reminds me, I need to start digging up the essays that folks did for Godsibb and asking if it'd be ok to post them back up. *w*
    TheMagician
    TheMagician

Post by TheMagician Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:00 am

These are quite interesting reads, especially in Shion's case though you made some very valid points in both of them.

If you're willing to put more out, I'd sure be happy to read them!
    chibi
    chibi
    Jr.xShion Pioneer!

Post by chibi Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:19 am

That essay on Shion is amazingly awesome, and something I've been fighting for with her naysayers for quite some time. It's great to see someone else who agrees that Shion isn't this awful person, that she has valid reasons for the way she acts. I may not always agree with how she handles certain things (while I understand why she goes to Kevin in Ep. III, I'm not okay with the fact that she stands by while Kevin beats the ever-loving crap out of Allen), but what she's been through has her warped at the point in time we're with her. I think after the games are over, the player would see a much healthier Shion in both personality and thought processes because she's let so much go then.

Didn't read the Gaignun one yet, though.
    RadicalDreamer
    RadicalDreamer

Post by RadicalDreamer Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:53 am

Oh, you're the one who wrote the Shion essay ? I read it on Tumblr a few days ago. I agree with most of what you said.
    I have a long response to it but I'm not allowed to post it apparently. I don't know what's going on.
    katimus_prime
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:13 pm

Ack, since no one's been posting long things, I didn't realize the character post limit was still on, and I guess the error message wasn't very well put across. I've turned that limit off. Try again. :>

RadicalDreamer
    RadicalDreamer

Post by RadicalDreamer Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:55 am

It doesn't work. Did you turn that limit on again (sorry, I wasn't really quick and there is real life getting in the way too) or is there another problem ?
    katimus_prime
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:00 pm

There shouldn't have been a problem with it, unless setting it to unlimited broke it even more. D: I set it and forgot it last night, and it was still set today when I looked to see if it was broken. Might want to just cut it in half and double post if necessary in the meantime. I'll put a ticket in with my webhost. This shouldn't be happening. I deeply apologize.
    RadicalDreamer
    RadicalDreamer

Post by RadicalDreamer Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:15 pm

Apparently, I can't double post either. I guess I will save us time and post my response to the essay on Tumblr and link it, Katimus. Here.

This shouldn't be happening. I deeply apologize.
    It's okay. It happens.

Post by Guest Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:29 pm

You make some very interesting points! I agree that not all of the hate for is sexist (see my disclaimer at the top-- I chose not to focus on those things because they are much more reasonable and subjective complaints!), but I also disagree that male characters get the same amount of hate for 'angst.' Yes-- people will hate angsty male characters too, but you also often see people glorify the angst of those male characters. They're often looked at as 'tortured souls' and 'hot' and blahbalahblah... I don't know. Maybe it's just a matter of who we grew up around?!

Also--I hate to be the snob (but to be honest with myself, I am the SUPER SNOB about almost everything...my apologies for everything in advance ;A;) but I can't stand it when people reject or modify characters because they aren't all sunshine and rainbows... It waters things down, and removes the author's true intent. I much prefer a character representing harsh realities.... Is that really actually uncommon??? Is that just me?? I love realistic characters, and I feel like it's especially important a game like Saga, created by two people who have flat out said that they were writing from their own desires, not for a wide audience. Realizing that Saga was not going to beat around the bush or simplify things was a source of great joy to me-- it affirms its status as something of an 'art game,' if you know what I mean??? I think in that case, I may be letting my own opinions on what makes a good character cloud my view... I guess I just figured that brutally-realistic characters were a universal positive trait for all gamers...

(When I think about Shion and Jin, 'Talk' plays in the distance for me too! It's on my Xenosaga playlist. ^^)'

Post by Guest Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:43 pm

I read your essay about Shion on tumblr. I think I even rebluuuged it. I like what you wrote. Shion is one of my favorite female video game characters and I feel like (especially in the early days of the fandom) she got a lot of hate. I know the "sexist" card can get overplayed but I feel like people can be needlessly critical of female characters. It's feels like since there are so few great female characters that everyone expects them to be perfect and super tough and it they're anything less it's a total failure.

A great character doesn't have to be a great person and in fact it's they're flaws and the ability to the writers to portray those flaws that can be their greatest aspects. I feel like Shion is a great example of this. She's selfish, impulsive and alienates people who care for her but she's a young and naive person thrown into a horribly chaotic situation. That's the interesting parts of her character. I honestly wish she got more focus in the series. I feel like she was left a little under developed for a main character. Yeah, I love Shion :).

I have to say, though her outfit in III was a little dumb. I remember seeing the first screenshots of her design in II and being like "OMFG FEMALE GAME CHARACTER WHO IS PRACTICALLY DRESSED THIS IS A TRIUMPH"

Your write up on Gaignun was cute. He's one of my favorite characters from the series so it's always cool to see him get some love lol. I wish the URTV storyline got some more time in the series.

Post by Guest Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:07 pm

I agree that her "stripper outfit" in III was a bit impractical! I just can't stand it when people correlate her clothing with her intelligence. (i.e. she wears less clothes and is therefore a weaker character.) Sorry if that was unclear. ^^

Thank you all for your comments as well! <33
    katimus_prime
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:05 pm

Hnnn, running out of words, here, but your response was great, RD!
    (Also, check your PMs when you get the chance? I heard back on that ticket I put in.)

I'll post something more worthy of this thread when I can brain a little better.

Edit: Yay, brain. I reread the Shion essay and reply so that they were both fresh in my head. Wallpapering my disclaimer here that I have a whole lot of unpopular opinions, so if I step on toes, I don't mean to.

I honestly didn't realize how much mud was being flung at Shion until I stepped out of my little Ormus fangirl corner. I thought she was awesome from the get-go and then life kind of kept punching her in the face. Science genius girl invents killer robot woman and they save the universe forever from the spooky ghost aliens! was the headline I took away from the first couple seconds I spent with Xenosaga, but it's never just the headline, especially not in a Takahashi story.

It's established very early on that Shion has had a lot of trauma going on in her life. Episode I shows us a little bit, but a lot of it is revealed in 2 and 3. There's not a whole lot of time for Shion to sit and cry in Episode I because a lot of it was setting up the universe and introducing the rest of the characters. Something Episodes 2 and 3 sort of slip on reminding the audience is Shion's compassion. It's not that she loses it, but there is a lot of time spent hammering the point of how compassionate she is toward KOS-MOS, the other Realians, her peers and even the people she doesn't really have a need to be compassionate toward (long meaningful look at Andrew Cherenkov).

Her complete in-the-dark about Allen's feelings for her kind of takes two to tango. Shion is dead set on her work or what's she's trying to accomplish to dull the pain of the enormous amount of junk life has dumped on her, and Allen isn't very assertive at first at making his feelings known, and that isn't Shion's fault. The fact that she does snap out of the Zomg, Kevin, you're still alive! bit was brought to us in part by Shion acknowledging Allen's feelings for her (albeit a little hastily for story pacing, but).

Re: Shion's outfits, I was a little disoppointed when Shion lost her glasses, but that's only because I'm also a glasses girl. She lost a little bit of her Velma Dinkley, but I didn't think either of her newer costumes were crimes against anything. I liked her Ep 2 outfit because it was something I could see a civilian wearing, and it was really flattering. Her Ep 3 getup was more fanservicey, but it didn't really bother me all that much.

Re: Questioning Shion's intelligence, as an emotional person myself, having been through some junk and back, there is a VERY broad distinction between intelligence and emotional reaction time in intense situations. It's easy to sit in thought and plan your day, but nothing always goes as planned outside of your head. It really depends on the person, but a lot of the time, intelligence has nothing to do with handling extremely stressful situations after you lose your cool. I know I act purely on survival instinct when I've been backed into a corner, and when I've been pushed past my limit, I've done some really dumb shit to just get out of the situation I was in. There was one goal, and it was to run. Rational thought didn't enter into it, and kind of couldn't. When people think of intelligence, they're not really grasping on what kind of intelligence there is. Most people confuse it with booksmarts, but there's situational intelligence, social intelligence, logistical and mechanical intelligence, and countless other things to consider. When your heart has been busted up as badly as Shion's has, the expectation of rational thought 100% is a little unfair.

She's no yuki onna, but I really still love my Robot Guidance Councillor in general. She's the most composed in Ep 1, but stuff doesn't break her open until later. It might be a bit of a bad look, but I still like her. She made enough of a positive impression on me to negate anything else.
    JerriLeah7
    JerriLeah7
    Little Master

Post by JerriLeah7 Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:11 pm

You know, I'd never really thought about the points you make about Shion. O_O I always was a bit resentful towards her, though I never quite DISLIKED her other than her choice in attire later in the games. (Yay, making women wear less--great video game people!) But seriously, you make some really valid points and I always did have a hard time putting myself in Shion's shoes at all, despite the fact that I'm a woman, as well, and I've always found her to be adorable (and kind of want to see her with Cherenkov), as well as cosplay as her one day!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:23 am