Xeno Fannage!

Xeno in Real Life

katimus_prime
    Administrator

Xeno in Real Life

Post by katimus_prime on Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:18 pm

Sometimes when I'm arranging oranges in a circle in the oven, I am thinking, "everything is Xenosaga."

Things in other things that remind you of things in Xenosaga?  I do. I post them here. |3

Playing Disgaea as much as I am is partially in part to the fact that most of the humanoids look very similar to Xenosaga characters. I wanted to post images with this, but I can't on my phone.  orz

"There is no growth without birth.  Without a foothold in the past, we cannot walk toward the future.  Get thee gone, darkness!"
    stitchedmoon

Re: Things that remind you of Xenosaga in real life

Post by stitchedmoon on Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:52 am

Everything is Xenosaga and nothing hurts. <3

This isn't exactly a fandom-parallel-type thing, but I love when Xenosaga voice actors pop up in other series, like anime dubs and stuff.  (I'm pretty sure I heard Margulis's voice actor in something else recently.)  Also, one time I borrowed an audiobook from the library because it was read by Kim Mai Guest (who did the voices for Juli and Nephilim in XS2 and 3). OwO

Last edited by stitchedmoon on Sun May 01, 2016 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime on Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:34 am

Michael McConnohie is freaking everywhere. *w* It's wonderful. And wow, a whole audiobook voiced by Juli? That must have been a real treat. :D

"There is no growth without birth.  Without a foothold in the past, we cannot walk toward the future.  Get thee gone, darkness!"
    RadicalDreamer

Post by RadicalDreamer on Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:04 pm

@stitchedmoon wrote:
    This isn't exactly a fandom-parallel-type thing, but I love when Xenosaga voice actors pop up in other series
    Oh yeah, like the fact that Doctus and Ziggy's voice actors are the Major and Batou in Ghost in the Shell (how fitting is that, seriously ? They're all cyborgs !).

Things that reminds me of Xenosaga :

- space whales : there was one in Doctor Who... and maybe other stuff.
    - the Song of Nephilim : the melody can be heard in a lot of TV shows, movies...
    - Xenosaga 1 soundtrack : a few of them reminds me of Stargate music (Gnosis? Albedo? ...).
    - Juli : she also reminds me of a character in Stargate (Janet)
    - the space opera thing/religious overtones/character drama/a bit of celtic sounding music : Battlestar Gallactica. Period.
    - Xenosaga's critical reception : unfortunately... the FF13 "trilogy" reminds me of it ("too much cutscenes", "what's happening?", "unlikable characters", "it's a mess", "I hate the main female character", "that lesbian game", "the story got screwed over in the sequels", "the previous FF/Xenogears were better than this crap" etc... I don't agree with all of these *I did enjoy Xenosaga very much after all*  but a few of them are true... and honestly, I found a few similitaries between the 2 games, the Shion/Fang torture scene at the end of XS3/FF13 for example).
    - Xenosaga 3 over the top fight scenes : Advent Children over the top fight scenes.
    - chaos' outfit in Ep3 : Riku's from KH2.
    - Kajiura's music for Xenosaga : sometimes, I come across music similar to it and it makes me feel nostalgic (Xenoblade had the Ether mine and the music playing, while not very exciting, sounded eerily similar to Kajiura's style... In a Limestone Cave *which is a much better track* from XS3 had those mysterious chiming sounds too).

That's all for now, I think. I can't exactly say that a lot of stuff in real life reminds me of Xenosaga though. Mainly other fictional works.
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Re: Xeno in Real Life

Post by katimus_prime on Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:41 pm

Batou and Ziggy with the Major and Doctus are awesome!  I was really pleasantly surprised when they showed up in XS3 together.  I'm kinda disappointed that The Major's VA wasn't Juli all along, but some things don't line up. ^^

So, Crackdown is a series exclusive to the XBOX that pretty much stars Michael McConnohie (Margulis' voice actor) as the voiceover for a police agent shooting up a gang-ridden town.  There is no distinction between the Margulis voice and the Voice of the Agency, and it is wonderful.

https://youtu.be/-o9_u1hXRIQ

My husband and I have this running joke that the Voice is always macking on the Agent and he'll add lines to the normal dialogue, "So, Agent, what's your sign?  Do you like Indian food?"

It's very easy to project Cherenkov into the Agent in my head, but the only player characters available are about 4 presets that look nothing like him.  Still cool, though.

stitchedmoon

Post by stitchedmoon on Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:32 am

@katimus_prime wrote:Batou and Ziggy with the Major and Doctus are awesome!  I was really pleasantly surprised when they showed up in XS3 together.  I'm kinda disappointed that The Major's VA wasn't Juli all along, but some things don't line up. ^^

OMG, that woulda been so perfect.  *u*  Though, assuming Doctus = Melisse, it kinda makes sense anyway since they used to work together, so it's still pretty cool.

Also OMG, Crackdown Margulis is awesome.

Last edited by stitchedmoon on Sun May 01, 2016 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime on Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:30 am

So, there is a certain...countenance Mads Mikkelsen's Hannibal gives off, even though I don't watch the show.  Seeing fanart crop up for it makes me raise my head.

stitchedmoon

Post by stitchedmoon on Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:57 pm

^ OH WOW.  I hadn't noticed that before (I don't watch it either ^^;), but I totally see it now. *u*

Last edited by stitchedmoon on Sun May 01, 2016 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime on Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:16 pm

Aaaand just about all the mech designs in Pacific Rim are very Xenogears, but this one stands out at me the most:
    Cherno Alpha [Pacific Rim]:

Stier [Xenogears]:

kare_reiko
    Donator

Post by kare_reiko on Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:49 am

^ One Genosis from ep3 in Abel Ark was even more close to this mech on cover (without this "wings" on head)

Such a moment of such peace...
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime on Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:07 pm

Yeah, I think they did a nominal pass on Xenogears, Brigandier, Renmazuo and Stier lookalikes in Abel's Ark.  It made me extremely happy.  <3

Not sure if this topic fits, but I named my car El-Regrs, after Sophia's/Elly's Omnigear, and apparently that name was ridiculously well-fitting because it had to be junked because it wasn't worth it to have its engine rebuilt.  We were waiting on a local junkyard to pick it up, but they messed up our appointment, so El-Regrs is just sitting in front of our house, becoming more and more dilapidated.  Kind of sad, but still fitting.  (Why do I have feelings about real life, non-magical machines?  XD)

katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime on Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:29 pm

Also still can't shake the feeling that Captain Gordon from Disgaea is somehow Gourry from Slayers' brain put into Cherenkov's body.  Because:

Can't unsee.

stitchedmoon

Post by stitchedmoon on Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:41 pm

^ That is awesome. X3  I love when lookalikes show up in unexpected places.  (I'm pretty sure I saw a dude who looked like Cherenkov in some animu on TV--I think it was called Darker Than Black?--but it was also New Year's Eve and I may have been drunk at the time, so I dunno. :B )

In other news, I think I found MOMO's notebook paper.

Last edited by stitchedmoon on Sun May 01, 2016 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

RadicalDreamer

Post by RadicalDreamer on Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:48 pm

@stitchedmoon wrote:^ That is awesome. X3  I love when lookalikes show up in unexpected places.
    Like this ?

This freaked me out a bit the first time I watched Full Metal Panic (which I gave up quickly because I disliked the pervy humor, Kagame was annoying and her romance with Sousuke was unbelievably forced... basically this show is Love Hina meets James Bond... oh yeah and this guy may looks like Bart but Bart is a far better character by a mile *I don't remember exactly why but I know I was disappointed*).
    kare_reiko
    Donator

Post by kare_reiko on Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:29 am

@stitchedmoon wrote:^ That is awesome. X3  I love when lookalikes show up in unexpected places.  (I'm pretty sure I saw a dude who looked like Cherenkov in some animu on TV--I think it was called Darker Than Black?--but it was also New Year's Eve and I may have been drunk at the time, so I dunno. :B )

In other news, I think I found MOMO's notebook paper.

Hehehe it's nice I always loved part when Momo saying she's tougher then she looks and Ziggy say that he is tough as he look.

Such a moment of such peace...
    stitchedmoon

Post by stitchedmoon on Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:20 pm

@kare_reiko wrote:Hehehe it's nice I always loved part when Momo saying she's tougher then she looks and Ziggy say that he is tough as he look.

OMG, yeah, I loved that part too. :3

Okay, so this isn't strictly a Xeno-in-real-life incident, but since Pacific Rim came up earlier in this thread, here's something I found on Twitter this morning:

I guess Soraya Saga approves? :3

Last edited by stitchedmoon on Sun May 01, 2016 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime on Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:09 pm

Nice!!

Post by Guest on Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:32 am

o.o...

GoldeneyeDS

Post by GoldeneyeDS on Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:14 pm

I here femshep everywhere. Child Nigredo? FemShep. Woman working at Console in scene with Nigredo and Helmer? Femshep. Etc.

Speaking of Mass Effect, when my friend was playing it through, i noticed a lot of similarities, it was ridiculous.

In terms of real life, i was doing this excercise for an Artificial Intelligence lecturer (Totally creating Panselmia (or as I call is Pansmelmia)) and I was using basically creating a file that a program learns patterns based on certain criteria.
    Now we had to choose some kind of attributes under a main relation, so i chose a humaniod relation, with the main attributes being human, cyborg, and realian. Each entry had their attribute (human, cyborg, realian) and hair colour, height and age, to determine any patterns in Xenosaga characters i could remember. ANyway the program we used was arse, and the results made no sense (our AI lecturer was barmy, i could rant, but its not the place).
    ANYWAY he comes over to mark this abomination, and he asks, "Whats a realian?"

Well, knowing he's an AI teacher i cannot wait to trash his subject by saying that AI is an unobtainable goal in the Xenosaga Universe, and realians are essentially humans based of humans created by humans. He's so fascinated with the Universe of Xenosaga, and its views on AI and such, he looks past all the shortcomings of my program and gives me 100%. Xenosaga literally saved me some marks! Woo

TL:DR Did AI project, turned out arse (for everyone), Xenosaga technobable on AI got me 100% thanks to lecturers interest!
    RadicalDreamer

Post by RadicalDreamer on Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:25 am

I came back from my vacations in southern france, on the azure coast (Menton, near Monaco/Italy) and I have Xenogears/saga moments to share.
    First, I have to say... southern french villages gives me ridiculous Nisan vibes.

http://www.achatermalin.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/provence-02.jpg
    http://www.routard.com/images_contenu/communaute/Photos/publi/049/pt48006.jpg
    http://www.hotresa.tn/Tunisie/nice/images/eze2.jpg
    http://images.france-for-visitors.com/images/supersize/au_chat_perche.jpg
    http://chambres-hotes.vilarem.com/sites/chambres-hotes.vilarem.com/files/DSCN1228.JPG
    http://laterresurson31.fr/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/ruelle-vieux-menton-nuit.jpg
    http://www.france-voyage.com/photos/visionner-roquebrune-cap-martin-1109.htm
    http://img.over-blog.com/600x450/3/92/21/04/Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat/Roquebrune-Cap-Martin-058.jpg
    http://www.weloveprovence.fr/photos/Alpes-Maritimes/Roquebrune-Cap-Martin/8638157365-It-s-the-door-on-the-right-p.jpg
    http://www.weloveprovence.fr/photos/Alpes-Maritimes/Roquebrune-Cap-Martin/5388695342-Passage-secret-Roquebrune-(06
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_eHhPpY3Cuo4/TNBJ0-WRN3I/AAAAAAAAA2s/hIy3QStEmyQ/s400/DSC02777.JPG

Streets are very charming (lots of stone construction with warm colors...), it's generally hot, there are lots of pretty churches, mountains, the sea (Nisan has a lake, okay, but still), old ruins. I got pretty amused when I visited a church and there was a statue of a saint named Marguerite. Then, the guide (who was organizing a visit) told us that there was a path dedicated to Nietzsche. And look what I surprisingly found on the internet :

Nietzsche, who had a home in Èze-Bord-de-Mer, used to walk up here, where he reportedly composed the 3rd part of "Thus Spoke Zarathustra".
    Score  :fraggamagga: .

The same day I visited those villages with my family, I came across a game shop on the way to the bus. And what did I see ? A few KOS-MOS figures exposed in front of the shop. What a shock. Finding Xenosaga goodies in a small village in a country where Xenosaga barely came out (only Ep 2) and Xenogears never did. And the shopkeeper seemed to be more familiar with Xenogears than Xenosaga *dead* ! A bought one and it was pretty cheap.

And I also had a weird Xenosaga dream a few days ago lol. Apparently, I was in ancient China (?) to get KOS-MOS, we ultimately got chased and Gaignun and Albedo rescued us. Also, Jin and Margulis were randomly there... secretly checking out Pellegri (in my dream, we ended up jumping in a lake or something).
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime on Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:08 am

Oh wow! That is really exciting!! Those places totally lool like Nisan all the way! And having a path dedicated to Nietzsche is awesome, and a shop close by to it with XS stuff is even more awesome!

katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime on Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:59 pm

I've been trying not to cheapen this thread, but I think I've gone off the deep end over Attack on Titan's Erwin Smith because he's a dead ringer for Cherenkov.  >_>;

stitchedmoon

Post by stitchedmoon on Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:49 pm

^ He totally looks like him. *w* (And I kinda want to watch/read it just because of that.)

Randomly, I was listening to an audiobook and the name Ormus popped up.

Last edited by stitchedmoon on Sun May 01, 2016 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

stitchedmoon

Post by stitchedmoon on Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:24 pm

Speaking of Cherenkov (okay, this is kind of a stretch BUT) I just found out my mom was going to call me Andrew if I'd been a boy. :O

katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime on Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:55 pm

Oh glosh! XD I think my mother was going to name me Dustin if I was a boy.
    I wish I had more stuff to add to this thread, but I am at a loss.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:13 am