Xeno Underground

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Xeno Metaseries Community

Hello, this forum is in read-only mode. There is another forum at https://godsibb.net.

+10
radicalblues
Yikari
seishoujo
kare_reiko
Valkyrie
Gwendal
katimus_prime
stitchedmoon
Xernova
Neosmith
14 posters

Xenotensei may go down

Neosmith

Xenotensei may go down Empty Xenotensei may go down

Post by Neosmith Tue May 14, 2013 8:17 am

Hey, everybody. I just wanted to inform everyone that there is a possibility that Xenotensei might shut down due to malware issues.

I'm not sure what will happen but it looks bleak. To quote AC:

Unfortunately there's nothing I can do because I have no understanding of how these things work. I replaced every single page on the study guide and none had been modified with a code so it should be safe despite the warning.

It's true that some spam had installed itself in January but me and Abel discovered it and deleted it. It was a mysterious folder that had appeared in the ftp directory. Possibly some unwanted party has access to the directory but I can't find anything tampered with.

The only person who can fix this is CT, and he already has a backlog of things to fix like registration, the XenoTensei front page, etc, which I already bugged him about months ago. That's why I haven't tried to reach him again this time and I won't.

Basically I'm done with this. It's clear that the gods have something against Xenogears and Xenosaga, and if they want these works dead and buried then I won't try and stay in the way anymore.

If someone has the competency and desire to maintain a Xenogears and Xenosaga website and preserve all the information, then I am willing to hand over the entire Study Guide to their capable hands. I'm sure a deal can be made about the ODM and the other material belonging to XenoTensei also (it'd be nice to have everything in one place) if so desired. I'd be surprised if CT wasn't tired of this whole thing as well and would want to get these things out of his hands.

While I'm still glad I went through with the creation of the study guide, had I known that it would be this hard to have a functioning website on the net I wouldn't have bothered creating the site in the first place.

So I'll just let everything remain as dead as it is. The best I can do is make the latest version of the site available for download so you can just have it on your computer. I really want to move on from Xeno because I have other things to do.

Xernova
    Xernova
    Xerno Res Novae

Xenotensei may go down Empty Re: Xenotensei may go down

Post by Xernova Tue May 14, 2013 9:42 am

It's always sad to see a Xeno-site go down [size=85](or any fansite for that matter)[/size]. I was never a member of Xenotensei, but I know it was a devoted Xeno-site, so it's a shame to see this happen.

But as for this;

Neosmith wrote:I'm not sure what will happen but it looks bleak. To quote AC:

[...]

So I'll just let everything remain as dead as it is. The best I can do is make the latest version of the site available for download so you can just have it on your computer. I really want to move on from Xeno because I have other things to do.
    This coming from the person who a few months ago questioned our motivation for getting Godsibb up and running again before the decision was made to create Xeno Underground, all the while stating he wouldn't be surprised if Xenotensei would outlive every other Xeno-site, only to now make this statement? I have no words for this (well, I do, but they would be very negative, so I won't comment further).

I'm sorry, but I couldn't just ignore this. But that aside, I do mean what I said;

it's a shame for the Xeno-fans to see a place like Xenotensei go. But perhaps things can still be sorted out, so good luck.
    Neosmith

Post by Neosmith Tue May 14, 2013 11:33 am

Hey, I get it. AC's always ticking other people off.

I'm thinking I might've overreacted myself in hindsight to how serious this is, as he has changed his mind multiple times in the past about stepping away from Xeno. But this time, I think he means it. Yet I don't know.

I'm really sad if this happens, because we're really spread thin as Xeno fans right now. Godsibb was a great site that went down due to a number of different issues. For this to happen now, as we're close to getting the DS Translation and my U-DO article... All that info we've accumulated as a community -- I don't want to see it go to waste.
    Neosmith

Post by Neosmith Tue May 14, 2013 1:05 pm

Yeah, I knew a lot of the guys posting there back on Zenosaga, then Labyrinthos. Now, if Tensei closes... I too am speechless on that thread. I messaged AC about it, but I can totally see where he's coming from. I just hope it doesn't shut down cause of the malware without any sort of transition taking place.

Right now, I fear going to the Study Guide, cause my Safari keeps telling me the site might harm my computer, though there is no trouble with the forum.
    stitchedmoon
    stitchedmoon

Post by stitchedmoon Tue May 14, 2013 5:13 pm

Oh jeez, this is terrible news. I'm so sorry you guys are having difficulties. Xenotensei really is an invaluable resource to this fandom (or what's left of us), so I hope it can be salvaged. Good luck! :<

Neosmith

Post by Neosmith Wed May 15, 2013 8:44 pm

Well, the site is down for now - last I head, AC had isolated the infected pages and changed them - I guess they're reworking the site(s) to take care of the malware issue for good.
    katimus_prime
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime Fri May 17, 2013 12:48 pm

Looks like it's fixed now! :>

Neosmith

Post by Neosmith Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:35 am

Christ, we have another disaster on hand - looks like the domain name for xenotensei has expired.

Please, God , let the site come back....

Post by Guest Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:22 pm

Oh sweet lord, I had no idea this was a thing??? Hopefully everything will turn out okay-- I can't tell you how important those articles are to me! (My sister too!)
    Gwendal

Post by Gwendal Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:35 pm

Hey. I noticed the site was down too, and figured you guys might be hanging out here. Smile

Hopefully they can get this sorted out...would be a huge shame for all that info to disappear (some of it is probably backed up in other places, right?). I was so close to finishing the entire ODM translation too.  Razz
    Speaking of which, since the pages are archived on this site too, do you want me to continue the translations here while XenoTensei is down?
    katimus_prime
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:39 pm

Oh my god.  >_>

I decide to not check XU yesterday and now XenoTen is down.  *_*  At least with a simple domain expiry, all the stuff is still up on the web somewheres.
    Gwendal, you are most welcome to continue your work here if you like.  :3  Let me know of anything you may need.
    Gwendal

Post by Gwendal Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:21 pm

katimus_prime wrote:Oh my god.  >_>

I decide to not check XU yesterday and now XenoTen is down.  *_*  At least with a simple domain expiry, all the stuff is still up on the web somewheres.
    Gwendal, you are most welcome to continue your work here if you like.  :3  Let me know of anything you may need.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I think I have the URL of the pages saved already, though. If XenoTen isn't back up tomorrow, I'll finish the translation here. Since I'm almost done with the ODM project, feel free to ask if there's anything else you need translated after that.
    Neosmith

Post by Neosmith Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:29 pm

Great to hear from ya, Gwendal!

Thanks for your commitment!

There are a few more interviews I'd love for you to take a stab at - I'll have to track down the links though.
    katimus_prime
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:33 pm

Yes, your commitment is quite stalwart!
    Start any thread you like! (This goes for anyone else, too.)
    I find myself particularly uninspired re: what I'd like to see translated. I feel like there's more important stuff to be translated, but there are a few lines from the Xenoblade character design pages I've been dying to understand.

Post by Guest Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:47 pm

I'm excited to see any and all translation projects!! If there's ever a call for new material, I have several of the Comic Anthologies and whatnot... my sister and I have done some rudimentary stuff with those. (She's a decent translator too-- maybe not as experienced as you, Gwendel, but she learns quickly and has certainly decoded many a text for her other fandoms. I'm sure she could provide some assistance, if you ever need any? I really need to get her posting here though. That might be a good place to start...)

As for xenotensei, I saved a few character pages (although, which ones I saved is a matter severely affected by my bias...) as well as a few interviews and stuff... by no means the entire wealth of information that was there. (The cached pages do still exist though! I've been saving some things using that.)
    Gwendal

Post by Gwendal Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:39 pm

QuiteBrilliantIndeed wrote:I'm excited to see any and all translation projects!! If there's ever a call for new material, I have several of the Comic Anthologies and whatnot... my sister and I have done some rudimentary stuff with those. (She's a decent translator too-- maybe not as experienced as you, Gwendel, but she learns quickly and has certainly decoded many a text for her other fandoms. I'm sure she could provide some assistance, if you ever need any? I really need to get her posting here though. That might be a good place to start...)

As for xenotensei, I saved a few character pages (although, which ones I saved is a matter severely affected by my bias...) as well as a few interviews and stuff... by no means the entire wealth of information that was there. (The cached pages do still exist though! I've been saving some things using that.)

Sounds good! I'm still far from perfectly fluent, and it's always nice to be able to ask someone for a second opinion when there's something I'm unsure about.

I've also gone ahead and made a new topic, so we can move all translation discussion there and let this one get back to the subject of XenoTen's status.

http://xeno-underground.net/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=357

Post by Guest Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:22 pm

Wow, that is a problem. Well the only thing I can do now is wait and see how it turns out :-|
    katimus_prime
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Anyone know who the point of contact would be to see about getting the domain restored? I think it might be either Abel or BK. I know AC can add stuff via FTP, but I don't think he can go any higher than that?

XT's going down has terrible timing. An update to the forum software here needs to be performed soon, but I don't want to take down the board and have them both down at the same time, yanno?
    Neosmith

Post by Neosmith Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:06 pm

I think CT or CiA as he was previously known was the go-to-guy. Abel and AC are the ones to PM though, cause CT has been largely inactive for the past few years and i don't know if he is registered at any other forum right now.

Post by Guest Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:17 am

CT and Abel are the ones paying for the domain it seems

Post by Guest Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:15 pm

This is getting worse, I think the domain is up for sale now. It doesn't show the "domain expired" message, it's like a normal domain for sale :'(
    Neosmith

Post by Neosmith Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:25 pm

Yeah, I noticed.

Has anyone managed to get in touch with AC, Abel or so on?

I think I'll try to PM one of them via gamefaqs.

Post by Guest Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:31 pm

I really hope this issue gets fixed. I actually tried to look back at the Design Materials translation on there but noticed the site was down. D:

Last edited by 67 on Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Neosmith

Post by Neosmith Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:42 pm

I've PM'd AC via gamefaqs. Hopefully we'll know something soon.

Stranger stuff has happened - - Zenosaga.com had been restored as an archive not too long ago.

I feel this really came at a bad time - we just basically finished the ODM translations and I was right in the middle of my U-DO article.

Post by Guest Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:46 pm

I hope so.
    Do you have any of your articles stored anywhere else? I think hosting them here would be fine if you still have them.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:06 am