Xeno Underground

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Xeno Metaseries Community

Hello, this forum is in read-only mode. There is another forum at https://godsibb.net.

+4
kare_reiko
Monstrocker
Xernova
RED ODA
8 posters

The best RPG battle system ever

RED ODA
    RED ODA

The best RPG battle system ever Empty The best RPG battle system ever

Post by RED ODA Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:51 pm

What is your opinion about that?

As for me is Grandia series battle system, Simply perfect. You can see when every subject in battle is going to take action and you can make better strategy based on that by cancelling some powerful attacks.

Here's a Grandia 2 battle where the player used the system very well:

Since the first Grandia this battle system only improved more and more even though they did some
    bad choices in Grandia III.

Note: Make sure you post a video of your choice so we can se how it works.

Last edited by RED ODA on Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:24 am; edited 12 times in total
    Xernova
    Xernova
    Xerno Res Novae

The best RPG battle system ever Empty Re: The best RPG battle system ever

Post by Xernova Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:22 pm

Dunno if I'd call it the "best battle system" ever, but one of my big favorites is the Judgement Ring system from the Shadow Hearts series. Especially in SH: Covenant & From the New World, where the order of characters/enemies' turns are shown.

Example of a simple battle in Shadow Hearts: Covenant (just one character, so it's a very simple one);

Post by Guest Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:26 pm

The best RPG battle system...that's a great thread (and hard to decide even).

I choose you, (pokemon's name) Legend Of Mana!
    Monstrocker
    Monstrocker

Post by Monstrocker Wed May 01, 2013 1:55 am

.: Awwwww you guys beat me to it D: It's hard to choose what kind of gameplay I favor, but I love many.

The one I love is the Grandia Xtreme gameplay and Terranigma Very Happy :.

Post by Guest Wed May 01, 2013 2:51 pm

lol same here jsr,actually I'm playing Magna Carta 2 and I simply loved the fluid and dynamic battle system,I encourage everyone to play it someday!
    kare_reiko
    kare_reiko
    Donator

Post by kare_reiko Sun May 12, 2013 4:18 am

I think it would be FFIX, classic turn system with getting skills fro items. FF V was nice too because of job system.
    From Xenosaga I would say I love ep1 and 2 battle systems, second one maybe more because of how hard it it. You need think, a lot if you want beat optional bosses.

How I like Tales of serie I don't like their battle systems. I like when it's classic turn system like old FF was or reall battle system like KH or Xenoblade has.
    Xernova
    Xernova
    Xerno Res Novae

Post by Xernova Sun May 12, 2013 5:39 am

kare_reiko wrote:From Xenosaga I would say I love ep1 and 2 battle systems, second one maybe more because of how hard it it. You need think, a lot if you want beat optional bosses.
    Haha, I was beginning to think I was the only one who liked XSII's battle system. Or well, I've kinda got mixed feelings about it. It's awesome for boss fights, I'm probably one of the few who thinks Episode II had the best boss fights by far. But for random encounters it's just a bit too hard; those are regular enemies, yet they almost feel like mini-bosses. If they had toned down the difficulty for regular enemies, it would easily have been my favorite XS battle system. But for the boss fights, it already is my favorite one.
    salut hurricane
    salut hurricane

Post by salut hurricane Sun May 12, 2013 7:45 pm

I agree on that one too actually. XSII had a great battle system because it was so convoluted. I didn't like stocking like a maniac against regular enemies though, even if I had a strategy. It did kinda drag out and it becomes a pain to grind since battles take serious effort to get through. When simple leveling up becomes a chore I tend to enjoy a game a helluva lot less.

Two things that bothered me with Tales games was the camera and holding down a button to free-run. Stupid 12 year old me got a lot of dumb hits and deaths because of that :I

I also like team-attacks like the Doubles in XS2 and the Triple Tech system in CT but I don't think those count as battle systems but more as battle gimmicks?

My personal favorite system has got to be Vagrant Story's. Mainly since grinding doesn't really feel like grinding and "getting stronger" is mainly about getting better equipment (even if there are buffing spells and base stat raising items). Though my biggest gripe about it is that boss battles (apart from the final boss) didn't really feel like boss battles apart from the pimped out music. Story-wise this idea works but yeah, I felt there wasn't a sense of "epic fantasy adventure" despite the fact Square is 90% epic fantasy adventure.
    katimus_prime
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime Sun May 12, 2013 10:43 pm

If we're talking pure RPG, I think my favorite system is the Mario RPG style of play, where it rewards good timing, but doesn't punish you if you don't have it. It was a little simple, though. I loved micromanaging everything in Vagrant Story and Parasite Eve, tho.
    RED ODA
    RED ODA

Post by RED ODA Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:52 pm

I love Magna Carta 2, I consider it the best RPG in this generation. It's battlesystem is amazing, slow, but amazing, not to mention the special moves, I love it all. I wish I could get my hands on a Sealed Magna Carta 2 Collector's Edition.

Post by Guest Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:36 am

Like Hurricane, i would say Vagrant Story, even if it's more an a-rpg. It was ahead of its time and even now pretty unique, liked the forge system. Too bad Matsuno didnt (or couldnt) make another game with that battle system.
    Yikari
    Yikari

Post by Yikari Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:54 am

Hoo-boy, that's a difficult question.

Out of RPGs I've played, the ones whose gameplay jumps out at me the most would be:

Spoiler:

That's just what I can think off the top of my head, there is probably more.

As for Xenosaga, my most favourite combat would be the one from Ep. II.

In my opinion, mech combat was done the best in Ep. I; it also had the Cyberkick, Blaster and R-Cannon, branching (customizable and upgradeable!) attack tree that I happened to dig very, very much. Ep. III has dropped that roulette-reel that existed with the sole purpose to screw you over with a bunch of random criticals and made 'special' weapons Ziggy and KOS-MOS can wield something more than a complete waste of turns;

I have certainly liked (and abused the hell out of) the break gauge.

I still like Ep. II's combat the most, me completely missing double-casting via boost until I've looked into a guide for that Margulis fight tips notwithstanding. The majority of combat animations looked better in that game too. (Not the sounds though - firearms are a complete pew-pew toyshoot there).
    katimus_prime
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:58 am

FFT's system was very granular and addictive, especially when exp gains could start being modified. I absolutely loved it. I need to go back and play it once I'm done with Disgaea. I remember spending hours on a single fight one time and enjoying every second of it.

Even though battles took a long time in FFT, they never had to follow a certain formula in order to be effective, which is why I couldn't get my head around Lunar Silver Star Story's or XSII's battle system. In order to make even a tiny dent in anything, you HAD to do the same thing over and over again, otherwise you were screwed. A friend of mine IRL who had beaten XSII 100% and done the epilogue showed me that she was still doing double digit damage if she didn't do the Stock Ritual.

I really liked FFX's leveling system. The only thing I didn't like about it was that to unlock Break Damage limit on my favorite character (Wakka), I had to have reached a certain level in Blitzball earlier in the game, which I just had no interest in doing.

Post by Guest Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:11 am

RED ODA wrote:I love Magna Carta 2, I consider it the best RPG in this generation. It's battlesystem is amazing, slow, but amazing, not to mention the special moves, I love it all. I wish I could get my hands on a Sealed Magna Carta 2 Collector's Edition.

And I wish it had a post-game dungeon,a BIG one...that'd be orgasmic Very Happy

ALSO Infinite Undiscovery has a stunning battle system as well =)

Post by Guest Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:28 pm

A lot of people seem to dislike it, but I loved Final Fantasy 12's battle system and its a game I just adore playing. Xenoblade's was fairly good, but felt like somewhat of a downgraded version of FF12's.

Final Fantasy Tactics also has a really fun battle system.
    RED ODA
    RED ODA

Post by RED ODA Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:55 pm

FFXII battle system is very complex and thats why many people don't like it. However, once you mastered the mechanics nthing can stop you.
    Sororicide
    Sororicide

Post by Sororicide Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:32 am

Probably Star Ocean Till the End of Time,
    pumping up those cancel bonus attacks to 300% just felt soo good. Its really the only action rpg system too that Ive played that wasnt just a button mash juggler, or really simple.
    I also liked Rogue Galaxy for what it did.

And Xenosaga 1 will always have a special place in my heart for its strategic turn based.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:56 pm