Xeno Underground

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Xeno Metaseries Community

Hello, this forum is in read-only mode. There is another forum at https://godsibb.net.

+10
seishoujo
Monstrocker
TheMagician
stitchedmoon
chibi
JerriLeah7
Xernova
katimus_prime
Neosmith
kare_reiko
14 posters

Why do you love Xenosaga?

kare_reiko
    kare_reiko
    Donator

Why do you love Xenosaga? Empty Why do you love Xenosaga?

Post by kare_reiko Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:41 pm

As in topic.
    I lately ask myself this question very often, with choosing between drawing my mangas or doing Xenosaga things, I ask myself why I love Xenosaga, what is in it so I would spend my free time on working on it?

I make fast run thought ep3 in last 4 days. And I can say: because on lines. chaos is other thing, but when it comes to story as a whole I say lines.
    There are so many beautiful lines that characters say that made me stop and think about them more deep for a while. They are beautiful when you stop and study them more.
    Ep1, Pied piper, ep3, Drama cd, they all have lines that move my heart and that's why I love xenosaga.
    How about you?

Why do you love Xenosaga? Empty Re: Why do you love Xenosaga?

Post by Guest Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:03 pm

Hm, I would say... everything? *-*
    I agree that the series has really deep, epic and beautiful lines \o/ and the soundtrack that goes with them is usually really remarkable, both in the epic and the sad songs.
    The complex plot also makes me wanna play it again, since it's awesome and there's always something I missed. Also stuff that I forget T.T
    Neosmith

Post by Neosmith Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:40 pm

I love Xenosaga because of its immersive world first, its characters second and its narrative third. I mean, I have a lot of complaints, as most of you know, but at the same time, I love the series quite a bit. This series compelled me to really start reading science-fiction, to research various concepts that it references or uses in the plot. It has also indirectly taught me a lot about screenwriting.

And its behind-the-scenes history has been just as interesting as its inner history. I keep hoping one day Takahashi will do a long retrospective interview and we would get to ask him all these questions about the changes that happened to Episodes 2, 3 and so on.
    katimus_prime
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:20 pm

Without getting too personal, I'll just say it's the characters first and the universe second.  At first, I was in it because I was a huge Gears fan, and stayed for Cherenkov because he reminded me so much of Ramsus. I didn't expect to be as blown away by Margulis as I was, though. I think I initially finished the series because I knew he was going to be in the third one.

Overall, I think Xenosaga's theme (or what I think its themes are) are what really kept me cemented. I love stories that test the value of human will, and call attention to things like class warfare and social inequity. I also think its theme of "if we all reject each other and give up, we will never move forward" is one of my favorites not only because it echoes my personal beliefs, but it's one that Monolith keeps revisiting and extrapolating upon in every game they do. People need each other, no matter who they are or where they come from or what side they're on.  I loved that the villains had just as rich a background as the heroes, so much so that the word heroes and villains aren't adequate or varied enough to describe the characters. Ultimately, they're all believable people that happen to hold opposing beliefs, and I find that amazing.
    Xernova
    Xernova
    Xerno Res Novae

Post by Xernova Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:44 am

katimus_prime wrote:Without getting too personal, I'll just say it's the characters first and the universe second. At first, I was in it because I was a huge Gears fan
    Xenogears is what brought me to Xenosaga as well. After finishing Xenogears, and seeing "Xenogears: Episode V"

at the end of the credits, I immediately started searching for more info as to why it was called Episode V. I soon learned about Xenosaga and decided to import it without looking up all that much info about it, actually (iirc I checked out the official XSI site and that's about it). At that time XSII had just been released, so I imported both XSI and XSII together.

I soon found out Xenosaga had quite a different feel to it than Xenogears. It was still great, but never managed to wow me in the same way Xenogears did. One possible reason is because, as I've said before, in Xenogears I love both the subplots and the main story arc. But as for Xenosaga, well;

Now to finally get to the answer to the thread's question;

what do I love about Xenosaga? The subplots; URTV arc (pretty much what kept me hooked throughout the 3 episodes the most of all), Kevin/Shion arc, Jin-Margulis rivalry arc, Cherenkov's arc, Virgil/Febronia arc, Ziggy's past & Voyager arc,...

However, the main story arc about Wilhelm's grand scheme and the whole Yeshua/Mary Magdalene thing? Sorry, Xenosaga, but you completely failed to catch my interest with the main story arc. That's basically why my love for Xenogears is still much bigger;

because Xenosaga's main story arc didn't do anything for me.
    So yes, in short, the subplots with its many wonderful characters is what I love about Xenosaga.
    JerriLeah7
    JerriLeah7
    Little Master

Post by JerriLeah7 Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:33 am

I love Xenosaga because of the great characters, the amazing plot, and the depth at which it can be interpreted and appreciated. Each character is unique in their own way, touching the story with true individualism and wonderfully designed character development. I have not yet seen any game that has affected me as much as this one has.
    chibi
    chibi
    Jr.xShion Pioneer!

Post by chibi Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:53 pm

Honestly? Because of the whole URTV arc. If it hadn't been for Jr. and Albedo, I would not have cared about Xenosaga at all. Seriously, I was getting ready to give up on Ep. I entirely, and then the hot-blooded redhead showed his face. XD

While I could care less about Gaignun and Citrine on a personal level, they are still part of the arc and therefore important to me as well. And though I loathe Yuriev, he's an intrinsic part of what happens. Without this arc, Xenosaga never would have sold itself to me, but I'm glad I stuck it out to be introduced to it.
    stitchedmoon
    stitchedmoon

Post by stitchedmoon Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:07 pm

Basically, what Xerno and Kat said.  :3  I loved the characters (especially the minor ones and their subplots) and the recurring themes in the story, and I also really liked the futuristic setting, the art and technology and overall aesthetic of the Xeno-universe, and the insanely detailed worldbuilding that went into it.  Also, in a meta kind of way, the Xeno fandom has pretty much been my social lifeline for the past decade or so.  We've been through some stuff, but I still think of you all as my virtual extended family and I'm glad I got to know you.

... Er, anyway, that's my tl;dr answer.  The short answer is Ziggy.

Last edited by stitchedmoon on Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
    TheMagician
    TheMagician

Post by TheMagician Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:13 am

Xenosaga was something I took a total chance on. I didn't know of Xenogears at the time either, so I really had no idea what I was about to get into. Taking chances on games is one thing I'm no stranger to though. I've done it before, and my intuition really doesn't let me down when I grab a game on sight.

It took some time of course, but it all drew me in. The characters, the setting, and the story kept me coming back for more. There's not much else to say, so I guess... Everything? I believe that pretty much sums it up.

Post by Guest Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:40 am

I love the characters and plot mostly. The story really just gripped me the first time I played. I was actually reluctant to play it at first, since I was sure there was no way it could ever live up to Xenogears, but the plot did manage to really impress, and be almost as good, but not quite there.

It also has an amazing OST.
    Monstrocker
    Monstrocker

Post by Monstrocker Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:31 am

.: I love everything in the whole Xenosaga Trilogy. The gameplay is fun, and the story and the characters got me.

Before this, I played Xenogears and give this game a chance. Truly an awesome series, with Xenogears as well :.

Post by Guest Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:41 am

I love Xenosaga because of MoMo and Jr. and also because the story is so fresh and new, and I wish more games like this would be out there.

Post by Guest Tue May 07, 2013 2:58 pm

Why the fook I didn't post here yet? X.X
    The plot,scenario,characters,music,battle system and the links to real life,especially regarding theories and facts that aren't well known.

Post by Guest Tue May 14, 2013 7:04 am

I don't think I've ever identified what drew me to Xenosaga in the first place. Maybe I was looking for Citan? Yeah, that sounds about right. I wanted to know what sort of role the Citan of Xenosaga played in the story. (I know the connection between XG and XS is probably only nominal officially. At the time it was pretty hotly debated, so naturally I got curious.)

The sweeping scope of Xenosaga while it told the story of bonds that survived reincarnations

-- I think that's one aspect that's kept the series on my mind all these years, though I really have trouble finding the right words. It's easier to cut straight to the point and forget to put things into context because I don't want to be a bore.

The music's another aspect. I haven't been able to play either Episode I or II, but their OSTs are something I'm very fond of. I watched The Animation ... figured I might play the DS version one day... It's not something I'm proud of exactly-- though it's pretty routine for me-- but if there's a script of a game I want to know about somewhere, I will read it, plus any other supplementary material I can find. It's funny when I look back to realise I used to read walkthroughs for games I couldn't play, because I thought the GameCube would be sufficient and didn't want to ask my family for more. Playing XSI seemed unlikely, and by the time I found a PS2 Slim for sale XSIII was out.

Since then I've fallen badly off the deep end for stories set in space. Well -- maybe earlier than "since then". There was Star Ocean. And that astronomy textbook which is probably horribly out of date.

There are certain concepts Xenosaga plays with that I find interesting, like the UMN. A while back I came across an article about families separated long distances from each other taking family photos with the help of Skype. I thought, wouldn't the UMN be able to do something similar? Didn't they have concerts broadcast on the UMN, where people could join the crowds and experience it for themselves? Setting up a shoot on the UMN cloud for a family living on different planets seemed feasible.

So, I guess the takeaway from this is that I (also) love Xenosaga for its concepts.
    seishoujo

Post by seishoujo Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:01 am

Why do I love Xenosaga?? I think Xenosaga is one of my favorite genre deconstructers (such as Kingdom Hearts, Evangelion and Madoka Magica "But I don't love Puella Magi series that much due to it's irritating fanbase")

Why I said deconstructor?? Well, some series like for example Sakura Wars did mix mecha and magic and there's Evangelion (hehe). But what makes Xenosaga different is that Xenosaga (in my opinion) even though it's not great (and even underrated) in the eyes of the world, Xenosaga has something that makes it special and differ unlike any other stories I've ever experience/read. I can't describe what and how but there's definitely something there, something that only Takahashi Tetsuya possess. (P.S. I haven't experience Xenogears, sorry)

Probably is because Xenosaga has female protagonist. But then again, Shion is different than any other lead female characters. Even though she's badass and can kick some butt, she's very gentle (femininity) and have motherly personality (I even joked on this one when Kevin and Shion waiting for KOS-MOS to be complete and they look like parents that waiting for the baby to come out  Very Happy ).

KOS-MOS is something too (I kicked Lightning's position from the no.1 pedestal of badass heroine once I found KOS-MOS. For real. Don't worry, I'm a huge FF fan too, fellow FF fans). KOS-MOS is also different from many mecha girls I ever know. She has unique designs and cool weapons  (yay CHOCO!! 👑 ). I was shocked to see how she killed Virgil with such a cynical reason; to save all Vector personnels which are Shion and Allen at that time around. The other emotionless mecha girls that I know would never do such thing, unless they're commanded to do so ("50 points for KOS-MOS!!").

And then there's chaos  :happy5: . The first time I saw him, he reminded me of Riku from Kingdom Hearts series. Then my exploration to Xenosaga series continue...I was utterly amazed by chaos's position (his true identity and so on) in the series, too bad his role's kinda minor in the series  :frown3: (I agree with you Wilhelm)

I like Jr. too. Can't say much about him but I still like him very much too  :pleased:

I really hoped the series will be revisit in 2014 just like it was promised (it was mentioned by one of the game staff in an interview in 2010 or 2011 if I'm not mistaken). I can't wait for Episode IV (oh, please Lord...)XDD
    Yikari
    Yikari

Post by Yikari Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:01 am

Subplots, setting (what few parts of that we are shown anyway), characters (mainly Ziggy, but he is far from the only one), battle system, dungeons' combat-to-elevator-puzzle ratio, being able to get to the ending credits without any grind whatsoever, music and the various little visual details.

Like the firearms all the nameless mooks carry around, that Alien 3 cameo of the big yellow walking loader thingy, spaceships, assorted groundcars and other machinery littered around the areas. Didn't like the mechs much (especially the super Anima-powered ones, Erde Kaiser should've remained the only super mecha, IMHO) but I do like their ankle joints' design.

The scene that has drawn me into the plot side of things (read: started up the brainstorming about all the potential fanfiction one could create with these wonderful tools the story has granted to us :cheesesmile:) was Shion helping with the troubleshooting at their ship's realian maintenance center. It has raised some interesting questions that the game has unfortunately dropped as it went on to the bigger things (no, I did not like the 'main plot', why do you ask?).
    Valkyrie
    Valkyrie

Post by Valkyrie Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:12 am

seishoujo :
    I really hoped the series will be revisit in 2014 just like it was promised (it was mentioned by one of the game staff in an interview in 2010 or 2011 if I'm not mistaken). I can't wait for Episode IV (oh, please Lord...)XDD

Oh really, there was an annoucement like that ?
    Just in case you remember where you see this, could you please give the link ?

I remember that there was an announcement similar in the "Xenosaga Story Analysis" hosted on Xenotensei, but the announcement was dated 2005. At this time Monolith Software was not owned by Nintendo....
    Today, with Nintendo owning completely Monolith Software, I am afraid only completely new games like Xenoblade can be released, not sequels.

Post by Guest Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:47 am

Valkyrie wrote:
    seishoujo :

I remember that there was an announcement similar in the "Xenosaga Story Analysis" hosted on Xenotensei, but the announcement was dated 2005. At this time Monolith Software was not owned by Nintendo....
    Today, with Nintendo owning completely Monolith Software, I am afraid only completely new games like Xenoblade can be released, not sequels.

If what seishoujo said is right,likely it will be a new series instead of a sequel,may have tons of "links",look-alike characters,easter eggs,theorical bases and so on...either way I'd love it!
    seishoujo

Post by seishoujo Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:05 am

AlphaOmega wrote:
    Valkyrie wrote:
    seishoujo :

If what seishoujo said is right,likely it will be a new series instead of a sequel,may have tons of "links",look-alike characters,easter eggs,theorical bases and so on...either way I'd love it!

I actually spotted this in one of XenoTen's interview archives last August or September before the site went down^ ^;

Oh, and the interview date is dated in 2010.
    Valkyrie
    Valkyrie

Post by Valkyrie Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:34 am

Well I finally retrieve what I told you about :

http://xenoverse.xenotensei.com/history/history_of_xeno_part04.htm

Xenogears and Xenosaga news
    Currently there have been no news about the possibility of a continuation of the Xenosaga series. Hirohide Sugiura said in May 2004 that he'd like to revisit Xenosaga in five or ten years time. It remains to be seen whether or not Sugiura will stick to that in 2014, but few believe a continuation is possible due to Takahashi's new design philosophy as well as MonolithSoft now being first party developers for Nintendo
    FishyFish_RU
    FishyFish_RU

Post by FishyFish_RU Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:25 pm

I started playing Xenosaga after Xenogears, in my quest to play classic JRPG masterpieces. At first I liked Shion and disliked KOS-MOS, but the gameplay wasn't as enjoyable as in Xenogears, so I was ready to give up... and then chaos appeared I love you I have a big weakness towards this type of character. "Too kind to be real" I call them. Very rare in games. The only other one I can recall was Cole in DA:I.

On that note, I have to ask: does anybody know other games with this type of character? I'd be happy to give them a go! bounce

Ok, now that it's out of the way, later I saw other engaging characters and arcs. Although the plot arcs seemed disjointed to me and I wasn't very touched with the whole Cherenkov or Febronia's twins arc, I liked Jr. & Albedo thing. Albedo in particular: he isn't actually one of my favorites, but I do admit that he's a brilliant villain for a game. The ending of ep II with him telling his tormented thoughts to Jr. through visions of the past was a masterpiece.

What else? The overarching plot arc... I can't really say I liked it without lying, b\c it wasn't clear what it was until the very end. And how can you like something you don't know about? You can't. So even though after the game I liked it, I didn't like it during the game b\c I knew nothing about it. That would be fair to say. And it's such a waste: it could be such a brilliant overarching plot arc if it was actually implemented into the game instead of being a big infodump at its last moments.

Overall I liked the game for its characters and for some ideas. Like Eternal Recurrence.

For me personally, though, Xenosaga is better than Xenogears. Even though Xenogears gameplay was far more engaging, I didn't really care for any of its characters. I feel like if we had Xenogears fun gameplay in Xenosaga the games wouldn't fail the sales expectations.
    chaos
    chaos

Post by chaos Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:14 am

I played Xenogears before Xenosaga, and I think im torn as too which is my favourite.

What I love about Xenosaga is the depth of the story and characters, and how realistic the characters come across as.

There's some really interesting characters with very complex backstorys and motivations, and the way in which characters interact and complement each other, for example Ziggy is a Cyborg who wants to get rid the remainder of his humanity to kill his emotions and become a complete machine, then you have MoMo who is an artificial human who wants to be become more human, but together through the course of the story they help each other to be at peace with selves.

As someone else stated I love that the villians in the games are fleshed out as much as the main characters, allowing you too emphasise with them.

I love the grand complex and mysterious feel to the games, which always kept me fascinated with what was going to happen, and racking my brain trying to understand the complex themes and subplots in the games.

I love the unique character designs in the games, and especially the emotive and atmospheric music. Also I love the cinematic presentation of the games, especially episode 1, which reminds of Stanley Kubrik and David Lynch at times.

I don't think there's ever been a game with as complex and deep story as Xenosaga which works on so many different levels, it kinda touches your soul on a deep level.

Not to sound too emo, but I think the only games that have made me cry are Xenogears and Xenosaga, that's just how powerful they are.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:44 am