Xeno Underground

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Xeno Metaseries Community

Hello, this forum is in read-only mode. There is another forum at https://godsibb.net.

+4
oraf
chibi
Tehrin
salut hurricane
8 posters

Fanfiction

Fanfiction Empty Fanfiction

Post by Guest Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:10 pm

Lately I've been debating with myself about writing fanfiction.

All of my fandoms are pretty dead. I mean, no offense Xenosaga, but there is not a lot of activity for it these days. So I'm not sure, even if I wrote new fanfiction, if it would be read by anyone. I would like to practice writing, because I still find writing original work very hard.

But, I have so little time, and I think it would be better put to use doing fan art, which people seem to like a lot more.

How do you feel about it? Have any similar issues in your life?
    salut hurricane
    salut hurricane

Fanfiction Empty Re: Fanfiction

Post by salut hurricane Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:41 pm

Yup! I mainly write small drabbles and send to friends that seem interested, but that's about it. I don't think I've ever been able to draft anything more than 10,000 words, so writing original fiction or really long fanfiction epics is just a great big pipe dream for me. I got a FF.Net account again after a few years but yeah, all of my fandoms are either not regularly written for or just dead in terms of fanfiction. Naturally I'm already regretting the decision :I. Pictures are a lot easier to load and establish feelings for, so generally, yeah, it's a lot easier. Which is pretty lame since I like reading fanfics.

Post by Guest Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:19 pm

I say write/do whatever you want regardless of if people will read it/like it. If you have a creative impulse then act on it. Worst case scenario you still got some practice which will always prove useful. Fanfiction can sometimes be a good tool to "feel out" different ideas or techniques before using them on original work.

I think I'm odd in that I feel more comfortable doing original stuff then fan works. Like I can totally show off a doodle or short story I farted out and not give crap if it's " good" but, if it's a fan art I get super nervous about it being bad. I think that I just don't want to "disrespect" the work I love by making bad art of it because I'm a crazy person or something.

Post by Guest Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:16 pm

The additional problem for me is that I am an artist/writer by trade right now. I write (and draw) mainly for comics and not for novels, but it still requires creative energy, which is limited. And because I make so little money, I have to work as many hours as I possibly can. There's not any time or energy left over for the hobby-ish stuff I used to enjoy.

That combined with the lack of audience (which would at least provide some sort of exposure) makes it kind of fruitless. It might sound self-centered in a way, but I just don't like creating things in a vacuum. Practicing by itself doesn't do me much good if there is nobody there to confirm that I am making some kind of progress, or offer suggestion when I am not.

It used to be that my fandoms had a built in audience because they were current. Now that they are not, I feel like I have to twist the arms of even my best friends to take a look, and I really don't like doing that. If someone isn't interested, then I don't want to push it on them.
    Tehrin
    Tehrin

Post by Tehrin Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:51 am

I feel the same way. I'm writing a fanfic now that I've been trying to get out for ages. Mostly, I just want to get the story out there and be done with it. But... I know that there are people out there that will enjoy it, even if it's only a handful. I think that reason alone makes it worthwhile enough to continue. Smile
    chibi
    chibi
    Jr.xShion Pioneer!

Post by chibi Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:15 am

I used to love writing my fanfiction, but I ended up just losing interest in writing altogether. Every once in a while, I think about going back to my old stories, but that would mean playing through Xenosaga again to get a grip on all of the plot and characters well enough to continue what I was writing. I just don't have that ambition. Plus, I was in a very small minority who enjoyed Jr./Shion, so it's not like my stories were coveted by the fandom. *shrugs*
    oraf

Post by oraf Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:32 am

i know how you feel. writing, i miss it too. i remember when i was in japan i started writing these crazy stories of an afro living in japan. i did it to keep in touch with family, and to let them know that this afro was still alive. story after story, writing it was pretty damn fun. ever since i got back, my blog just stayed still. nothing to write about. you remind me now how much i miss it.

i hope you keep up writing and writing what you like to write.
    RadicalDreamer
    RadicalDreamer

Post by RadicalDreamer Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:07 pm

I tried to write a french Xenogears novelization years ago. I ended up giving it up because I didn't think it was so good and I lacked information and a better understanding of the entire thing to write a good novelization.
    Since then, I gave up writing. I think highschool killed my passion for writing and I always feel sad about it. I want to get back to it but I feel like anything I would write would be ridiculous/fake. It's annoying.
    I was drawing fanarts (Xenogears mainly, this game is like a huge creative sandbox for me, so many things to portray) but I had to focus on my art studies this year and no real time for fanarts, I'm afraid. And I have a bad case of art block right now so...

GlanceReviver wrote:
    All of my fandoms are pretty dead.  I mean, no offense Xenosaga, but there is not a lot of activity for it these days.
    Same here. Well, I think I care enough about Xeno to keep doing fanarts and stuff even if it doesn't get a lot of attention (come to think of it, I'm not motivated enough to draw fanarts for other fandoms... save a few exception *and original art*, I think Xeno is the only thing I'm passionate enough about to draw for it). But yeah, in general, the games/movies/shows/books I care the most about don't have large fandoms anymore. When I'm on Tumblr, I see all those people getting crazy with new fandoms and it's like I watch the party from afar, still caring more about my old stuff (it's especially true for games since I kinda skipped an entire generation because of lack of money and time... interest sometimes also *what is so appealing about Animal Crossing all of a sudden? I don't understand*).
    katimus_prime
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:31 pm

I actually woke up with an urge to write a piece of Xenogears fanfic I've been meaning to write for years. My will to fanstuff had been culled by the webcomic I was working on, but since I put it on hiatus, it's sprouted back up again. Gotta strike while the iron is hot.
    Shizukesa
    Shizukesa

Post by Shizukesa Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:18 pm

i have some fan fiction already written some i dont. i have everything ive evver done at all ages (however old i was at the time when i wrote them) up on my da if you want to read them. i have recent stuff too. http://HVVStudio.deviantart.com/
    Shizukesa
    Shizukesa

Post by Shizukesa Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:47 pm

I still do fan fiction. im actually going back to it. ive not done it in years. you can see what I have so far here. poems too.

https://www.deviantart.com/hvvstudio
    stitchedmoon
    stitchedmoon

Post by stitchedmoon Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:59 am

I don't write much unless I get a bug in my head to write something, which happens sometimes to my immense regret.  Most of my Xeno-junk is here on my personal site because I'm too much of a coward to post it anywhere else, also not very many people seemed interested back when I did, so. :P
    Shizukesa
    Shizukesa

Post by Shizukesa Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:17 pm

stitchedmoon wrote:I don't write much unless I get a bug in my head to write something, which happens sometimes to my immense regret.  Most of my Xeno-junk is here on my personal site because I'm too much of a coward to post it anywhere else, also not very many people seemed interested back when I did, so. Razz

that's funny you posted this. I have a sub domain but not for xenosaga. I have used it for old browser games. recently past few months I have been redoing the layout to make it more mature & business looking. I am considering turning it into a place for fanfiction & writing, poetry etc. ive been wanting to become a writer. id like to be self employed as an entrapanuer. not sure how to do it though. im not the collage type. not sure if I can really do any good or not. I always post mine on da so maybe a site with "real" traffic/visitors will actually see it. my site sees nothing but me lol.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content