Xeno Fannage!

Xenosaga pairings

Re: Xenosaga pairings

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:42 pm

Yeah I find people getting obsessive over pairings to be really funny...in a sad way. I think because it's romance-related it gives an opportunity for people to become over invested and obsessive.

Like most of fandom-related stuff, sometimes I feel like the crazies can ruin the fun for the rest of people. Sometimes you just think two characters look cool together so you fart out some dumb fanwork and all of a sudden BAM it's a total bitchfest.
    chibi
    Jr.xShion Pioneer!

Post by chibi on Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:05 pm

This reminds me of the fighting that used to go on at XL over pairings. And yes, I was a part of that as a Jr.xShion shipper. XD

I do promise I'm not like that anymore. Now I just ship them pretty quietly, but they remain my non-canon OTP to this day.

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:23 pm

Haha. I think I remember some of that drama. Maybe it was another forum but I think people started writing poetry about what pairings they hated.

Any kind of fandom drama is always the bestest drama.
    stitchedmoon

Post by stitchedmoon on Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:57 pm

c'mere wrote:Like most of fandom-related stuff, sometimes I feel like the crazies can ruin the fun for the rest of people. Sometimes you just think two characters look cool together so you fart out some dumb fanwork and all of a sudden BAM it's a total bitchfest.

SO MUCH THIS. :C  Thankfully I haven't seen it much in the Xeno-fandom lately, but I'm in some other fandoms where the shipping wars are just redonkulous and there's a small percentage of rabid shippers who are so badly behaved that no one wants to associate with them and it kind of ruins the pairing for everyone. :/

Last edited by stitchedmoon on Sun May 01, 2016 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Nikkolas

Post by Nikkolas on Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:33 am

chaos and Kossy's relationship was probably underdeveloped because it didn't exist. They were both creations of the universe but that's it. There isn't any hints at a romantic relationship at all.

In fact, it's explicitly said that Mary was Jesus' (the regular one) girl while chaos was one of his disciples. He'd be the worst disciple ever if he was secretly banging his Messiah's companion.

And man, I remember shipping talks on XL. I dared not say I liked Jr./MOMO there...

Anyway, for me, it's always gonna be ShionxKOS-MOS.
    chibi
    Jr.xShion Pioneer!

Post by chibi on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:29 am

Ah, you couldn't really say which pairing you liked on XL without some war popping up. *shrugs* We were all pretty protective about our pairings, to the point of obsession. I'll even dare to say Xenosaga tends to bring out that characteristic in people already prone to it. XD

I don't agree that there wasn't (going to be) a romantic relationship between chaos and KOSy, but because they thought they were going to have 3 arcs to work with, they didn't develop it in Shion's arc. It really hurt chaos and KOSy, especially when neither of them got much development at all due to that fact.

Post by katimus_prime on Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:03 pm

XL sounds like the sort of environment I would have run and hid from if I'd felt strongly about pairings that were popular. ^^ And I dunno why it keeps slipping out of my brain, but the whole Mary Magdalene thing does throw a spear in the chaos/kosmos pairing. However, I've also come to understand that chaos is supposed to be an extension of Jesus's power, and therefore still counts as Jesus? I don't have a works passage to cite, so my argument is invalid until I track it down, but I'm pretty sure chaos wasn't just a desciple.

"There is no growth without birth.  Without a foothold in the past, we cannot walk toward the future.  Get thee gone, darkness!"

Nikkolas

Post by Nikkolas on Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:44 pm

Have you read the Perfect Guide? It's an amazing font of Xeno information and clarifies a lot of things.
    http://translations.xenotensei.com/Xeno3/PerfectGuide.html#17

chaos performed the miracles for Jesus because Jesus was just an ordinary man. A charismatic and nobel man but still just a human being. But he was still just one of his followers.

I think you're thinking of teh Gnostic parallel. In the game, The Messiah represents Jesus the Man while chaos/Yeshua represents Jesus the Spirit. I don't know too much about this aspect of Gnosticism because, like all Christians, they're incredibly divided on the actual nature of Jesus' existence.

But ignoring the symbolism and just in the context of the story, I'm pretty sure chaos was just one of Jesus' disciples.
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:55 pm

Ah, I haven't had the chance to sit down and read it all on my own, but I used to jam with Xel and elendraug and hyperionwitch, who were all over it all the time. I really need to sit down and read it on my own, tho.

And I probably was thinking about the Gnostic parallel. There are just a lot of coincidences that imply chaos == Jesus (especially chaos' Flawless costume) and I'm too dull to appreciate their intricacies until they get pointed at me. ^^;

"There is no growth without birth.  Without a foothold in the past, we cannot walk toward the future.  Get thee gone, darkness!"
    kare_reiko
    Donator

Post by kare_reiko on Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:38 am

Well, yesterday I played in part of ep3 that have this talk of Shion and Kevin when there were together. It hit me again how nice it was, it gave me almost the same feeling like Fei and Elly talk of rift.
    Two close people talking about nature of humanity and where they go. They talk about their own look at their lives from bottom of hears.

For me it's something beautiful, sign of full trust to other person.

That's why I see Shion and Kevin as something aside, if not all those problems with U-DO, collapsing of universe, wilhelm etc it would be something with beautiful future.

I don't imagine Shion open like that to someone like Allen...

Such a moment of such peace...
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime on Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:00 pm

I always thought the bit with Allen, though very sweet, was kinda pastede on.  Allen is very sweet and he does deserve to be loved, but seeing how oblivious Shion is to him most of the time and her sudden snap to noticing him for the first time in XS3 ever seemed very sudden and stilted to me.  It seemed very fanservicey.

Nikkolas

Post by Nikkolas on Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:01 pm

It gave nerds everywhere some hope. Leave us alone!!!!

It was a bit sudden.

Ya know, ever since someone suggested it on Godsibb, I have kinda liked the idea of Yuriev x Citrine...
    chibi
    Jr.xShion Pioneer!

Post by chibi on Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:35 pm

@katimus_prime wrote:I always thought the bit with Allen, though very sweet, was kinda pastede on.  Allen is very sweet and he does deserve to be loved, but seeing how oblivious Shion is to him most of the time and her sudden snap to noticing him for the first time in XS3 ever seemed very sudden and stilted to me.  It seemed very fanservicey.

Yep, I completely agree with you, kat.  I'm more of an AllenxShelley fan myself. Razz

Post by salut hurricane on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:07 pm

I want to give Allen all the love in the universe but I'm pretty sure the only thing that can give him a freaking break is his coffee cup. I like the Juli/Ziggy relationship too, and the father-daughter/protect-me-protect-you dynamic with Ziggy and MOMO as well. I found with the various Xeno ships from all across the board I wasn't all that inclined to really back a romantically-infused relationship. With the exception of a few >__>.

*honks the OT3 horn* EVERYBODY RUN JINNEGRI TARD INCOMING
    So! When I first played XS3 I was all over the Jin/Pellegri/Margulis triangle of vague feelings. There was something about seeing only the aftereffects Jin/Pellegri's relationship that had me attracted to it, since it's probably been more than 10 years since they've actually seen each other, let alone talked, but they still carried it with them? I really wished there was more to their interactions other than that whole "YOU RAN OFF WITH THE COLONEL!!" spat which only made me snicker...
    There's also the fairly easy-to-make romantic inclination between Pellegri and Margulis, even if he's her superior officer. They have a lot of things in common, and I'd imagine that Margulis isn't oblivious to the fact that Pellegri is physically attractive AND his rival's former love interest...maybe he's reminded of Jin whenever she's around thus triggering crazy episodes?
    Spoiler:
    I hope Kat and I aren't the only people in Xeno-fandom thought they may have done a little bit of breakdown-ing when Wilhelm did the big reveal about Ormus being another pawn
    Oh, and, yeah, eternal rival jazz between Jin/Margulis...come on you guys. They had the best battle theme it got remixed like 4 times.
    I'd go into this more but I have to run out the door now.
    Monstrocker

Post by Monstrocker on Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:28 am

.: Ahhh the Xenosaga pairings. There are some I favor, but some are random. Haha.

* Kevin x Shion- - - It seems I'm the only one who love this pairing dearly. Although Kevin took the cake of being a douche in episode III, it made sense why Shion loves Kevin with all these flashbacks and the reasoning behind their relationship.

* MOMO x Jr. -- I know many speculate them as more of a brother-sister thing, but...well...yeah. They look cute together. NONONO They're my current OTP now :'D

* FFFF- Canaan x Miyuki -- Cracked pairing, but they look hot. hurrhurr whats wrong with me

Albedo x MOMO? Absolute yes ;

7;

Last edited by 115 on Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:46 pm; edited 2 times in total

Post by Guest on Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:01 am

Durandal x Kukai Foundation foreveerr~ (OTP of them all)
    chaos x Canaan
    Ziggy x Juli
    Shion x KOS-MOS
    and Miyuki x everyone in the vector industries because she's the biggest pimp of them all.

And for some reason I like Canaan x Miyuki. But we all have those crack ships, right? <:"D

Post by Guest on Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:49 am

(here's the part where I resurrect all the idle threads, hi everyone!)

hahahHAHAHA Xenosaga pairings. Really takes me back quite a ways.

For those of you who remember the heyday of Xenolegacy, I was pretty fond of Shion/Allen (an embarrassing understatement but whatever). And upon finally rewatching XSIII I'm having a Harry Potter "After all this time?"/ "always" moment with them to be sure. I don't even know what it is, man, they've just always resonated with me as an absolute thing. I'm sure once I get further into the cutscenes I'll have emotional breakdowns about them, and will spend a hell of a lot of time contemplating what would probably actually happen to them after endgame. Since I've ~calmed down~ a bit since the old days. (But even I have to admit, they made me wanna throw my laptop at the wall while I was rewatching XSII, and that's saying something.)

On the other hand, since growing into my own lady-loving-life after not playing/watching for so long, I've gotta say that I could probably back Shion/Miyuki pretty hard if I had more fodder. Same goes for Shion/Juli  (yeah, what, right? I don't know either). Still can't get myself behind Shion/KOS-MOS though.

That's pretty much it for me nowadays. HOWEVER, I always feel the need to mention Miyuki/Wilhelm because of a few brilliant fics someone wrote a long time ago. Absolute genius. And Helmer/U-DO, because it's perfection.
    RadicalDreamer

Post by RadicalDreamer on Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:20 am

S.R. wrote:(here's the part where I resurrect all the idle threads, hi everyone!)
    For those of you who remember the heyday of Xenolegacy, I was pretty fond of Shion/Allen (an embarrassing understatement but whatever). And upon finally rewatching XSIII I'm having a Harry Potter "After all this time?"/ "always" moment with them to be sure. I don't even know what it is, man, they've just always resonated with me as an absolute thing. I'm sure once I get further into the cutscenes I'll have emotional breakdowns about them, and will spend a hell of a lot of time contemplating what would probably actually happen to them after endgame.

I shipped them too when I first played Xenosaga (3). The scene when Allen stands against Kevin always made me cry. But I think I loved the pairing mainly because Allen was a sweetheart to her. Shion, on the other hand  :frown3: ... That's why I'm a bit more reserved about them now. I wanted Shion to be with him because I thought she needed some peace and quiet with a nice guy (frak Kevin, really, he ruined her life). But thinking of how badly she treated him at times really makes me feel bad for the guy.

Those are the other Xenosaga pairings I enjoy (copy pasted from another thread) :

- Shion/KOS-MOS : such a touching pair. They're a mix between a parental relationship and long lost bffs (maybe there is a bit of substitute lover thing going on as well... like "you're the last thing I have left of my dead fiancee"). And clearly, there was lesbian fanservice on top of it.
    - Shion/Jr : could have been emotionally interesting.
    - Jr/Albedo : maybe not in a sexual way. Nope. Their relationship is more emotional, symbiotic (and screwed-up... believe me, incest is usually a big turn-off for me). They were one at birth and Albedo died making one with Jr again. They belong together... litterally.
    - Nigredo/Citrine : I like them, they look so good together, Citrine meant a lot to Nigredo and err... same as above. The URTVs are screwing with me !
    - Febronia/Virgil : how can I not ? Those 2 messed with my feelings during Episode 3.
    - Jin/Pellegri : sad thing they parted ways.
    - Jan/Sharon : Poor Ziggy. I never really connected (or noticed... well until I realized the fandom liked it) with the Juli/Ziggy thing however (and yet, that would be great for MOMO, indeed). Go figure.
    chibi
    Jr.xShion Pioneer!

Post by chibi on Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:41 am

It's funny that I knew you'd be in this thread, SR. XD

Also, my Jr.xShion love has never died, so after all our "fighting" on XL, it's good to see my "rival" still supports her pairing. Razz

Post by Guest on Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:23 pm

@chibi wrote:Also, my Jr.xShion love has never died, so after all our "fighting" on XL, it's good to see my "rival" still supports her pairing. Razz

Hah, well you know how it is! I've actually been watching XS3 with you in mind, trying to see more of the Shion/Jr. angle...haven't yet, but I'm still not far into it. I do appreciate their epic bromance however!
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime on Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:39 pm

Man, it's nice to see you guys make up. I was never there to see the fights, but it still gives a warm and fuzzy feeling.

I think my problem with Xenosaga pairings is that I can potentially ship them all, and I have ones I gravitate towards, but I don't have any NOTPs.

chibi
    Jr.xShion Pioneer!

Post by chibi on Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:26 am

SR and I never truly fought, but we were each very strongly tied to our pairings. So we would just banter back and forth about why our pairing was better and all. I'd try to get her to see why Jr.xShion was all sorts of awesome, and she'd counter with why AllenxShion was so much better. It was mostly just fun times. God, I remember she was the Blue Side, and I was the Aquamarine Side. XD

And, SR, you must look deeper! :greenjump:

Post by Yikari on Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:52 am

I don't think I have any OTP in any fandom. I prefer to have my stories centered on something other than romantical relationship of the two characters stated in the fic description. Not to the level of 'no hugging, no kissing', but I like some other conflict to drive the overall plot onwards. (Doesn't stop me enjoying some sickly sweet mindless fluff from to time, but I prefer to partake of both of these separately - I'm strange that way).

That said:

Spoiler:
    - I see any possible inter-URTV thing with 'shippers gonna ship, I'm not gonna even look there' sentiment firmly in my mind. Sorry, just not my thing on multiple levels. Interpersonal drama? Yes. Pairings? No.

- The thought of Jr. x MOMO and Shion x KOS-MOS shown in a romantical and/or sexual way seems 'wrong' to me. I do not oppose a thorough exploration of what it is exactly the nature of the bond they share with all the uncomfortable details acknowledged and mulled over by the characters, but there is some part of me that goes 'nu-huh!' when the idea crosses over a certain threshold. Maybe I am a prude or something.

- I am firmly of the opinion that the only reason Ziggy agreed to try and prolong his original brain' s lifespan was to support MOMO. Seeing as how I very much like Juli however, I guess I support the idea of them trying to live as a family.

- The brief interaction Jin has with Pellegri during the Old Miltia mindscrew of Ep. III made me think that he had more problem with her going after Margulis than anything that had to do with them being on the opposite sides of the warfront as a result.

In this light, Margulis saying the most painful things to Jin he possibly could before he commits his 'suicide by cop' might be seen as resentment for Jin staying in Pellegri's heart even after all that happened and thus serve as a foundation for a love triangle. Even though I don't see any hints of Margulis x Pellegri in canon such a story would require. Ah, this is fanfiction we are talking about anyways.

If OP is really interested in unusual pairings, I riddle them this: make Cherenkov's wife not a horrible wretch of a human being she is in canon and develop that plotline further. Make it so that she somehow starts to see something in Andrei other than the meal-ticket she had her eyes originally on.

Maybe acting as a supportive spouse to an invalid in order to pass the required checks to get the prize she started this whole fraud because of for so long has changed her outlook. Or maybe Andrei's genuine gratitude was the deciding factor. I dunno, worrying about such details would be the author's problem.

The result of [whatever it is that has changed their relationship] would be that that nasty blowup wouldn't occur in quite the lethal way it did in canon and they will be forced to somehow work through the overwhelming disgust (fear?) of physical contact and anger management issues if they wanted to retain their nifty clone privileges and freedom from mental institution's 'tender care' respectively. Bonus points for possible consequences of Cherenkov not being snapped up by Margulis.

Post by Guest on Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:58 am

Given the fact that over on tumblr, my tag for Xenosaga is: "That Space Lesbians Game" it's probably pretty clear what I ship. ;D
    They're kinda what really hooked me on the game in the first place-- I had missed a lot of Episode I, due to my sister being out of the house with the PS2, so I didn't have a chance to properly fall in love with the game earlier. When she came home for the summer, I watched her beat Episode I... and seeing that whole last scene, wherein KOS-MOS stays behind, and Shion stands out, waiting for her to return... it stole my heart. <3
    I mean, it's sorta hard to deny that Shion and KOSY are a thing in some way, shape, or form? And they've got the whole protectiveness thing that melts my heart, as well as a bit of a "Reincarnation Romance" thing. Love-Across-All-Time-and-Space. -sighs dreamily-

As for other ships...
    I think I ship Jr. with EVERYONE and their brother, quite literally!
    I mean, Jr.xMOMO? Adorable! Jr.xSakura? Oh my heart! Jr.xAlbedo? Twisted, yet delightful! Jr.xGaignun? Oh the tragedy, just leave me here to die!
    Although I get the distinct feeling that the last of that list in a somewhat onesided affair. ;A;

Gaignun always seems a tragically... lonely... figure in my mind. I have this weird and kind of sad headcanon that he keeps on trying to start relationships with different people, but ends up backing out of them due to fear and self-hatred. /cries quietly

I do noooot ship Jin and Pellegri though, contrary to... well, most people's preference? To be honest, I found Jin's entire behaviour towards her creepy and disgusting and... just... yuck? He seemed like that nasty fedora-wearing-nice-guy whenever it came to her. All melodramatic, with "Why did you leave me????" and "I never did anything, come baaaaaack!"

I found myself just sort of... backing away from him...

In terms of unpopular pairings, a certain fanfic kinda made my heart sing fro Pellegri/Citrine. Ahahah... yeah. Yes. Don't knock it.

Nikkolas

Post by Nikkolas on Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:15 am

I know a guy who ships Ziggy and MOMO.

It kinda makes sense... As he pointed out, Juli isn't exactly a young woman and with his cyborg body, Ziggy will outlast her by a lot. MOMO is going to age and grow like a real girl, and I think the database even says she can have babies so....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:47 pm