Xeno Underground

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Xeno Metaseries Community

Hello, this forum is in read-only mode. There is another forum at https://godsibb.net.

Character Designs

Character Designs Empty Character Designs

Post by Guest Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:51 am

Can we just talk about the designs in Xenoblade?

I generally disliked the designs. Not because I saw anything particularly wrong, but there's not a lot special about most of them.

And it only gets worse when you get new armor sets. Like, WTF is this:

Character Designs >jpg

And you think oh it's just Reyn, I don't take him seriously anyway. And then this happens:

Character Designs >jpg
    BTW this is Shulk if you can't tell.

Character Designs >jpg
    Da fuq is this? Why does this set turn Sharla's hair orange?

Character Designs >jpg
    Melia whyyyyyy

It gets to the point where I don't even use heavy armors because I'm so embarrassed for my characters. The only armor set I truly like is the Alcamoth style gear, and it does not really suit most of the characters very well (Sharla looks especially weird in it imo).
    katimus_prime
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Character Designs Empty Re: Character Designs

Post by katimus_prime Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:24 am

Yeah, I am kinda picky about costume design in JRPGs in general, but the heavy armors in Xenoblade made me double-take a little bit.  Though not as much as Margulis's crotch-sword.  The heavy armor crosses into mega-weird, though.  A lot of the costumes in XB look very Soma Bringerish, probably because it was the same designer behind them.  I think the first time I got a heavy armor head piece for Reyn, Kevin told me to keep it on for the rest of the game, which made all of the cutscenes mood-breakingly hilarious.  However, I make a very notable exception for the High Entia's fashion sense, especially the ones depicted smaller on that page.  I do question the reasoning behind wings on the head, though.  Speaking of wings on the head...

Spoiler:

Post by Guest Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:16 am

The NPCs each have some iconic traits of the race they come from, which is interesting to me. But the homs, who make up most of your party, have a sort of beach feel with bare shoulders, mid riffs, etc. that looks like a lot of other RPGs.

I found Shulk's basic design a little weird, too. He is the only homs who seems to be wearing cold weather clothes. I don't know if they were trying to depict something about his character with that, or it's just an inconsistency.

Very few of the characters stand up to the test of being able to recognize them by concepts like silhouette or color palette alone. I don't find this to be a rule written in stone, but it does help me to describe what I find boring about them.

I tend to nit-pick with this kind of stuff, though.

Post by Guest Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:18 pm

Honestly, my least favorite armor is the jungle armor. It just looked ugly to me.

I think the High Entia armor looks really good on most of the characters, and the Lancelot armor is Melia's best for her.

http://images.wikia.com/xenoblade/images/5/54/Melia_lancelot.jpg
    katimus_prime
    katimus_prime
    Administrator

Post by katimus_prime Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:59 pm

I think my favorite armor for Sharla and Dunban is the Jungle armor, mostly for the different hairstyles it gives them, but a lot of the bigger parts to it make me go WHAAAT? as much as they Heavy Armor does.

Post by Guest Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:25 am

Thank goodness the lancelot armor was palatable for most the characters.

Almost all of Sharla's armor bothers me because it has that huge boob window. I don't mind boob windows, it just looks weird with otherwise full coats of armor.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:27 pm